Dragon Quest 5
The Advertising Blurb:
What begins as an innocent childhood voyage of a boy following alongside his father’s journey soon develops into an adventure of a brave young man travelling the world as he faces life-altering decisions. Step into the shoes of a hero in the makings to fulfil your destiny, befriending a crew of quirky monsters along the way.
Why You Care:
Dragon Quest 4 DS was freaking AWESOME. And this is a remake of Dragon Quest 5's PS2 Remake, which we didn't get. Which was a remake of Dragon Quest 5, which was a title that never saw the US.
That makes this an entirely original Dragon Quest Game for us.
OK, I'm interested. Sell it to me:
* The only RPG series more Popular than Final Fantasy in Japan
* First time Dragon Quest 5 has hit US shores
* Uses the excellent engine from Dragon Quest 4
** Fully 3D World Map, Old School DQ style combat
* Capture and train Monsters in a game that did it a decade before Pokemon!
Nice, But Does it Look like Ass?
K... Now, MOVIES!
A Return to Zoom
But wait... wasn't the DQ4 Translation... iffy?
Yes, sorta. They decided to put in accents for no goddamned reason
. And I'm not talking little bit o' ye olde Englishe, I'm talking like, "Scotty from Star Trek on a Sake Bender" bad.
Apparently they are doing the same thing for DQ5, but all reports so far are that this is way
Some of the name changes for DQ5 make no sense at all, but this might be related to the magic accents that don't exist in the Japanese version. Papas being turned into some random Russian idiot sucks.
I want to know more!
Dustin's Dragon Quest Shrine
is probably your best bet, it being one of the oldest Dragon Quest English Fansites on the web. He's been doing some HUGE media updates on DQ5 lately, and if you want to see more, there's the place to go.
* I pinched the Youtube links and hotlinked images (temporarily, until I get to my server) from Dustin's site... Don't kill me!
A close second would be Woodus' Dragon's Den
, with the most active Dragon Quest forum around.
What about those Other Dragon Quest Games?
* Dragon Quest 6: Realms of Reverie (NDS) -- Not out in Japan yet. It is unlikely that we will see this title this year in the US, although a US release is confirmed. Another "Lost" Dragon Quest title!
* Dragon Quest 9: Guard of the Starry Night (NDS) -- Not out in Japan yet. Delayed until June. Unless they are doing a simultaneous release, we won't see this one this year -- it is confirmed for US release.
* Dragon Quest 10: In Search of a Subtitle (WII) -- Japan might see this in 2010, but it's more likely a 2011 release. We will probably see it in 2012, as it is a confirmed US release.
* Unknown Dragon Quest Monsters Title: Revenge of the Subtitle (Unknown) -- No clue. The sound artist who works on DQ games accidentally let it slip that this is in the works, but nothing else is known.