As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XBox 360 + Monitor + Speakers... Cables?!

ZetxZetx 🐧Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello all, I bought a 360 the other day and now I need to hook it up. I'm terribad with cables so I'd appreciate the help.

From what I understand, I have the included RCA cables and I need something like this so I can hook it up to my monitor and this for my speakers?

41Ye0ZLVetL._SL500_AA280_.jpg419os5-zTyL._AA280_.jpg

7aff9330dca07a451b1f3010._AA280_.L.jpg

Anything I should be wary about? Thanks guys. 8-)

(I'm thinking the DVI one might not be what I'm looking for, but I don't know!)

76561197966849367.png
Zetx on

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I can't get on to Amazon, but be wary of cheap 3rd party DVI adaptors. I've heard people complaining about image quality with certain shitty adaptors. But YMMV, there are good, cheap, non-Microsoft-branded adaptors out there.

exis on
  • Options
    MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    what monitor do you have? You may be able to use the HDMI cable.

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You may as well just get the official 360 component cable or HDMI cable instead of an adapter. Your picture quality will thank you.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    You may as well just get the official 360 component cable or HDMI cable instead of an adapter. Your picture quality will thank you.

Well a new one at retail's going to run me about $26. That's about double what I'm looking at right now. :| (And I'd still have to buy the sound-related cables)

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The official component/HDMI cables for the 360 have a DVI out on them? o_O

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Chances are your monitor has VGA in as well, in which case you can just buy the official 360 VGA HD Cables. This is what I use, and everything looks great.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Realistically, you're not going to be able to get a cheap device that lets you convert from composite or component to DVI/HDMI.

If your monitor has DVI, grab an HDMI->DVI cable off of Monoprice and plug it into your 360's HDMI port. You'll want to use the A/V cable that came with your Xbox for sound, in which case you probably will need an audio adapter (~$1 on Monoprice is my guess).

Alternatively, you could buy a VGA cable, which will plug into your monitor's VGA port and includes the audio adapter you need. You said that you don't want to spend $26 for official cables, but if spending an extra $26 is going to break the bank I might suggest you reconsider your purchase of a $200-400 game console. That being said, DealExtreme sells one for $10.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    For me, the main point is money. If someone could recommend something decent that isn't the official VGA, that'd be great.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Zetx wrote: »
    For me, the main point is money. If someone could recommend something decent that isn't the official VGA, that'd be great.

I linked it before, but here: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3666
    Knock-off VGA cable for less than ten bucks shipped.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    My bad, I didn't see your reply. That link looks like what I'm looking for. For the record, I'm a cheap ass. I got the 360 (Arcade) and Guitar Hero WT w/ guitar for ~$160 new.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm a cheapass too, this is one case where I heavily advise getting the official Microsoft ones. I've seen terrible results with generic versions.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-VGA-HD-AV-Cable/dp/B000B6MLTG

That's the official one, and it covers your sound cable too.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    urahonky wrote: »

The monoprice ones aren't official, but their cables are generally very high quality. I have their 360 VGA cable, and it does everything it is supposed to.

Hedgethorn on