As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do I be a daddy, daddy?

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Einhander wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »
    Plus a kid reaaally needs love, attention and stability in its first two years (and afterwards, but if it doesn't get that in its first two years it is REALLY screwed) or you're pretty much mentally unbalanced for the rest of your life.

So every kid that is adopted after two turns out to be mentally unbalanced?

No, from what I've read they need to have been quite severely neglected, which isn't necessarily the case, of course

Janson on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Plus a kid reaaally needs love, attention and stability in its first two years (and afterwards, but if it doesn't get that in its first two years it is REALLY screwed) or you're pretty much mentally unbalanced for the rest of your life.

No but the odds are certainly against them.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

No, but if they don't have some kind of stabilizing force in their life (and a loving parent [or parents]), chances are they're going to be a bit imbalanced, mentally.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    adoption isn't the magical fairy tale solution to unwanted babies that everyone seems to think it is, by the way

not saying that makes it BETTER or WORSE than abortion, and it's certainly BETTER than the kid getting raised by irresponsible parents who can't care for him/her properly

but given that? unless the kid is lucky enough to get adopted by a GOOD family within his or her first few years, that kid can and will have plenty of fucked up issues as is
    Yeah, I don't get people who think adoption is the magical panacea for unwanted children. Most of those kids will end up in foster homes and grow up shouldering some serious emotional baggage for the rest of their lives. It's not fun to think about.

Unless you can line up adoptive parents before birth.

Healthy infants have a very high rate of adoption because people want babies. It's when the kids start hitting school age that the adoption rate slows down a lot or if the infant has a health problem.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So what you're saying is that it's best to kill them when they're five or so.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Campion wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that it's best to kill them when they're five or so.
    Yes. This is exactly what I'm saying.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yes.

BTW, wasn't there a movie or book about how people couldn't have abortions but they could leave the baby on someone's doorstep and that person had to keep it. Then when the kid hit a certain age the parents could essentially harvest their organs.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    send them out into the wilderness at 4

crown survivors as kings

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yes.

BTW, wasn't there a movie or book about how people couldn't have abortions but they could leave the baby on someone's doorstep and that person had to keep it. Then when the kid hit a certain age the parents could essentially harvest their organs.
    Well that would certainly put an end to the organ donor problem we're having.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    send them out into the wilderness at 4

crown survivors as kings

They'll just turn into ham eating ferals that hate hates.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    A 13 year old father?

please.

how about a 5 year old mother?

ymotherty7.jpg

you can search wiki for "Lina Medina" but not if you're worried about seeing a naked, pregnant five-year-old

#pipe on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think we should blow up the other boat.

They're all criminals!

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Blaket wrote: »

They're all criminals!
    i think we should blow up ze germanz

Faricazy on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    adoption isn't the magical fairy tale solution to unwanted babies that everyone seems to think it is, by the way

not saying that makes it BETTER or WORSE than abortion, and it's certainly BETTER than the kid getting raised by irresponsible parents who can't care for him/her properly

but given that? unless the kid is lucky enough to get adopted by a GOOD family within his or her first few years, that kid can and will have plenty of fucked up issues as is
    Yeah, I don't get people who think adoption is the magical panacea for unwanted children. Most of those kids will end up in foster homes and grow up shouldering some serious emotional baggage for the rest of their lives. It's not fun to think about.

And them being dead is a better choice?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Unsurprisingly, no mention of the father of that baby.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »

They're all criminals!
    i think we should blow up ze germanz

You would.

Racist.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Yes.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

You can't use extremes like "every" or "all" in any of these cases, but studies have shown that without stability (at LEAST!) in his or her first two to three years of development (both emotionally and cognitively speaking), the kid's chances of developing severe mental issues greatly increases.

The issues hit even before the first few years of the school-going life (i.e., pre-K, so 5 years old), which is when social development begins on a whole new scale, and then that kid's pre-existing issues get exacerbated as they grow.

It's all in the foundation. If they don't have something stable, if they don't have attention, in the building of that foundation, these kids are highly likely to throw out some crazy emotional, cognitive, and even social problems even before puberty.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    #pipe wrote: »
    A 13 year old father?

please.

how about a 5 year old mother?

ymotherty7.jpg

That is messed up.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    BYToady wrote: »
    Unsurprisingly, no mention of the father of that baby.

Jesus

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Maximum Zero if you were in a burning building and in one room there was a petri dish full of fertilized embryos and in the other room was a two year old child and you only had time to go to one room before the building escape which one would you rescue and why?

Blake T on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    it's funny how some people think death is the worst thing that can happen to someone

it's really, REALLY funny

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    and by funny I mean not funny at all

:(

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    it's funny how some people think death is the worst that can happen to someone

And in this case it's not necessarily death but more like nonexistence.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    it's funny how some people think death is the worst thing that can happen to someone

Viv have you ever heard the story of the Pillowman? I think you'd like it.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Every aborted baby was going to be the next Hitler.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited February 2009

no sir

enlighten me

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Dropping your icecream cone is very high up there on worst things.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    BYToady wrote: »

Every aborted baby was going to be the next Hitler.

And guess what? We kicked Hitler's ASS

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

You can't use extremes like "every" or "all" in any of these cases, but studies have shown that without stability (at LEAST!) in his or her first two to three years of development (both emotionally and cognitively speaking), the kid's chances of developing severe mental issues greatly increases.

The issues hit even before the first few years of the school-going life (i.e., pre-K, so 5 years old), which is when social development begins on a whole new scale, and then that kid's pre-existing issues get exacerbated as they grow.

It's all in the foundation. If they don't have something stable, if they don't have attention, in the building of that foundation, these kids are highly likely to throw out some crazy emotional, cognitive, and even social problems even before puberty.

Those kinds of things build character

Jigrah on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

What's really hilarious is how some people think they know for a fact death is the best possible option for someone they don't even know!

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Seriously

it's a retarded man who is crying and promising a broken egg that it will still be a chicken some day.

And that they'll play together in a field when it gets better.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Maximum Zero if you were in a burning building and in one room there was a petri dish full of fertilized embryos and in the other room was a two year old child and you only had time to go to one room before the building escape which one would you rescue and why?
    he would google for the right thing to do

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Better they don't exist than live a life knowing they'll never taste that sweet sweet icecream.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    edited February 2009

yeah

I tend to stay away from arguments that try to determine when "life" begins, but I'm sure if I were to actually think on it honestly, I'd probably come to the conclusion that a fetus doesn't know what's going on until it's hit the third trimester or so

still, I look at this strictly based on the well-being of the child AFTER birth and of the ability for the parents to be allowed to make such a choice if they deem it necessary

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    and by funny I mean not funny at all

:(

yeah i was gonna say ahaha

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

yeah

I tend to stay away from arguments that try to determine when "life" begins, but I'm sure if I were to actually think on it honestly, I'd probably come to the conclusion that a fetus doesn't know what's going on until it's hit the third trimester or so

still, I look at this strictly based on the well-being of the child AFTER birth and of the ability for the parents to be allowed to make such a choice if they deem it necessary

If it has a heartbeat, it's a living thing.

This is my opinion.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

no sir

enlighten me
    The Pillowman is a being made out of pillows who visits people on the verge of suicide because of the tortured lives they have led. The Pillowman travels back in time to the person's childhood and convinces them to commit suicide, thereby avoiding a life of suffering. This task saddens the Pillowman, however, and he decides to visit his own younger self, who readily commits suicide. This relieves the Pillowman's sadness, but also causes all the children he saved to live out their miserable lives and eventually die alone.

For more information, I recommend the play The Pillowman by Martin McDonagh (aka the writer/director of In Bruges).

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If it has a heartbeat, it's a living thing.

so if it doesn't, it's not?

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    I think the biggest problem a lot of people have is there is no ironclad date that we can consider a mass of cells to be "life". Some people say it's at the first sign of electrical activity in the brain, some people say it's at the first heartbeat, some people say it's at 168 days, some people say it's at birth, some people say it's at conception.

If we could track down a point where we could widely consider a difference between sccraping out a mass of cells and killing a child, I think we'd have better odds at compromise between the two groups.

Einhander on