As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's go bowling!

CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game HoarderTop o' the LakeRegistered User regular
edited February 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
bowling.jpg

Ah the great sport of bowling. What could be more enjoyable than hurtling a heavy sphere towards several hapless, stationary objects with the objective of completely obliterating them? Add beer into the mix and you have fun for the whole family! It is a game that is simple enough for children to learn and play, with the help of some specialized equipment, but is complex enough to host a competitive, professional atmosphere.

There are quite a few different types of bowling games played around the world. Having lived the entirety of my life in the western United States, I have only had the pleasure of playing 10-pin bowling. For those not familiar, 10-pin bowling is a variant of the game wherein a player is required to knock down 10 bowling pins by rolling a bowling ball down the lane. Scoring is done by counting the number of pins knocked down in a frame, which can consists of one to three throws of the ball. Extra points are scored for knocking down all 10 pins in a single frame in either one or two throws. Fallen pins are cleared between throws, and a game lasts 10 frames.

So let's hear from you fellow bowlers! Do you play 10-pin, or one of the other variants such as candlepin or duckpin bowling? Who plays on a league, and what is your average? Share stories of your triumphs and defeats on the lanes!

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
CaptainPeacock on

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I love bowling. Never been all that good because I never learned to really roll well. I've thought about taking lessons or something because it seems like a perfect lazy man's "sport". I generally decide it's not worth it and now I haven't played at all in a couple of years, but it's a lot of fun.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    I used to be good (203 average) but I haven't played in probably four years.

Organichu on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bowling is awesome.

I am not very good, though. I average about 100. My highest was 137.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I play in a men's league on Wednesday nights at West Seattle Bowl. While I don't consider myself a great player by any means, I do like the sport and enjoy league night with the guys. I have a 125 average, but just last Wednesday I rolled a 247 and another 200 game right behind it. It was a glorious night.

CaptainPeacock on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    so to roll as the pros do, with that beautiful spin, they're obviously using custom stuff (I always have a problem fitting my thumb) but are they using heavy fucking balls or more mid range? or does it vary?

I tended to use a heavy ball and not put my thumb in (not saying this is smart but it was the only way I could spin the ball. was not strong enough with the thumb in to get it right) but I know that's not the right way to be bowling.

I'm actually way more interested in this than I thought.

Variable on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Heavy balls are more for straight shots than curves.

If you want to put a spin on it, shoot for lighter ones, Var.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You really don't need super expensive equipment for a healthy, consistent english. I always used a 14-16 lb ball.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    excellent ts, that always made more sense to me but I couldn't, or didn't know how to, verify it.

Variable on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    You really don't need super expensive equipment for a healthy, consistent english. I always used a 14-16 lb ball.

Where did the term english for spin originate from I wonder? I know people use the term the same way in pool as well.

As for bowling, it's quite fun, but I'm rather rubbish at it. Luckily for me most bowling alleys tend to have pool tables as well.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »

Where did the term english for spin originate from I wonder? I know people use the term the same way in pool as well.

As for bowling, it's quite fun, but I'm rather rubbish at it. Luckily for me most bowling alleys tend to have pool tables as well.

Good question... I have no idea. I'm the one with ESL around here, you guys should be telling me this stuff... :D

Organichu on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My ball is a 10-pound pink house ball I traded my old one for. I liked how it handles.

Personal best is a 192. Game-by-game is anywhere from that when I'm on to about 100 pins lower when I'm off.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thumbless bowling isn't as uncommon as you think. I've met quite a few people who roll that way, and do it very successfully. If there is one thing I learned pretty quick playing in a league of exellent bowlers, it's that there is no one all-perfect way of doing it.

Gear does have something to do with how well pros can bowl, but more important is their experience. There are a lot of factors involved with rolling a good, solid game consistently. Grip, stance, approach, release and follow-through each have their important do's and don'ts, with some flexibility in there for creativity and style.

Ball weight depends on the bowler. A heavier ball will, by it's nature, grip the lane better and establish a nice hook if drilled and rolled properly. A lighter ball will more often go quite faster, and thus create more pin action when it hits. The proper ball for a person all comes down to balancing these factors.

Personally, I roll a 15lb Emerald Vibe and it works fantastic for me. For the longest time, I couldn't get a noticeable hook out of my previous ball at all. It worked great when I bought it(used, of course), but it quickly ran out of life. I wised up one day and invested in a brand new ball and relegated the old one to my spare ball, which I only use to pick up the 10 pin.

CaptainPeacock on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I didn't mean to say gear did it all but I figured consistently using the same ball and having your fingers fit in that ball would help.

when I bowled thumbless I used a 16lb house ball, they had a few so usually I could find it, and I got pretty damn good spin. I'd bowl 160-200 fairly regularly but that was only over a month or two stretch that we played a couple of times a week. I'd hurt the fuck out of my wrist though which made me figure I was doing something wrong, as did seeing someone use his thumb AND a heavier ball than I was using. I just couldn't imagine doing that with enough force while using the thumb.

Now that I know that there's no right or wrong way (to an extent anyway) I feel better just knowing I wasn't being retarded and he wasn't necessarily doing what would be right for me.

how much do bowling balls go for? I don't even have a clue.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    High end balls can sell for $250+. But a lot of that is just masturbation unless you are Dick Webber.

You can get a nice reactive ball for near or below $150. Mine was $129 with free fitting and drilling. I went fingertip, as I had used a ball in the past that was drilled fingertip and I found my release was a lot smoother that way than having more of my fingers in the ball.

CaptainPeacock on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Any spin I get is likely to be incidental and sometimes something I have to fight to tamp down on. Otherwise- and note I bowl lefty so I'm aiming for the left pocket- a ball I roll is liable to cruise past the left pocket and march all the way over to the 6 and 10 pins. I've always had this little hook in my swing that causes that to happen.

Not so much a spin as it is a consistent misfire in one direction.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh bowling. It was a pastime for me and my friends. Those were the days.

I only really have one notable thing to tell about it. I forgot what year in highschool it was, but it was during Spring Break. Friends and I gather to do the bowling thing. During one of our games I made a bet with my friend Juli that if I beat her she'd have to go on a date with me. That was when I got my highest score ever (which was like 190ish). So, the game after that she made a wager with me; if she wins, I would have to wear the dress. That's when she got her highest score ever.

As an aside, when I told this story to some coworkers our resident creepy old pervert said at the end of it, "Did you make your next bet on if you wear britches or not underneath?"

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That.. that's kinda creepy.

Last season there was a pretty bad moment during league night where right as practice was starting, there was a strange knocking noise coming from the floorboards on our lanes. Nobody realyl noticed unless you were standing right over it due to all the chatter from the other teams. After the first few practice balls had been thrown, we started hearing even louder THUNK CLUNK noises, this time coming from the ball return. While the resident mechanic was being summoned, the next couple of practice balls had already been thrown. Sure enough, when they came through the return the same noises started happening again. Since I was one of the first pair of practice balls, I picked up mine to see if there was an damage from whatever was causing all the noise. After turning it over a couple times, I found a huge-ass chunk missing from one side. Showing it around, everyone that threw also checked theirs and each one had some really nice new groove marks carved into it.

Mechanic pops the ball return open and pulls out a mangled GI Joe from between the belt and rail. Apparently some brat from earlier in the day had decided the ball return was a great place to set up a Cobra ambush.

CaptainPeacock on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    I usually bowl fingerless too. Mind you, I'm from New England, so I usually can't use my fingers, but I don't use them.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is it weird to love bowling more than any other activity, yet suck so much that you can rarely bowl above a hundred?

Honestly, if there was a lane nearby that did some sort of membership program, I think I'd bowl every night.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I wouldn't say so Raiden. I'm not particularly good at it, but I really enjoy it(and living near a cool alley is a big bonus). It comes down to practice and the desire to improve. Of course, if you just like drinking and having a good time with friends I say have at it.

CaptainPeacock on
  • Options
    WarrnWarrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've started going bowling once a week with some friends. My average is pretty terrible (I'd guess it at around 90), but then I'm not consistent at all. My best so far is a 146, and I've been using a 12 and going for a straight shot (those crazy hooks are not my thing). When I get my shot right and nail the front center pin (number 1 I guess?), my biggest problem seems to be getting the rear center pins. Any suggestions on how to be more consistent with my shot, or how to get those pins in the back?

On a side note, Let's Go Bowling is a decent ska band. It's too bad they aren't on the jukebox in the alley I go to (not that I'd expect them to ever be on a jukebox).

Warrn on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The OPs username is an 'Are You Being Served?' reference

This makes me want to go bowling with him

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The last time I went bowling I rolled a 200 and realized its a hell of a lot more work than I remember.

Obligatory link to Big Lebowski Clips

http://www.hulu.com/the-big-lebowski

Edit: I actually just drank a couple white russians in honor of this movie ... at a bowling alley.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bowling is a sport?

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm afraid of bowling because I don't want to get lopsided.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    Bowling is a sport?

Yes?

I mean, darts, poker, golf etc. are sports, so I fail to see how bowling doesn't qualify as a sport.

Though I probably just shouldn't let myself get baited by what is most likely a trolling post.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Warrn wrote: »
    When I get my shot right and nail the front center pin (number 1 I guess?), my biggest problem seems to be getting the rear center pins. Any suggestions on how to be more consistent with my shot, or how to get those pins in the back?

From what I recall researching and from what I've been told by many seasoned players, the greatest chance for a strike occurs when the ball enters the pocket (between the 1 & 3 pin for right-handers and the 1 & 2 for lefties) at a slightly curved angle. This is the reason why most practiced bowlers prefer to roll a hook instead of a straight ball. Their ball will always connect with the pins at an angle. Revolutionary spin of the ball causes the pins it hits to fly in different directions, thus reaching those pesky 7 and 10 pins in the corners. This method doesn't always work, and even a good shot can leave sticks up, but it's regarded as the best chance for a high score.

Now, all that said, a straight shot is not by definition a losing shot. It is much easier to throw a straight ball, and everyone learns the game by doing so. It is just much harder to strike with. If you are aiming at a fresh rack with a straight shot, you want your ball to roll down the lanes towards the pocket at an angle. If you aim at the pocket straight on, your ball will most likely connect with the head pin (the 1, as you correctly state) and deflect to the right or left depending on which hand you use. Yes, even a big heavy ball will deflect when it connects with those dinky pins down at the end of the lane. Thrown fast enough, a straight ball won't be deflected as much and will travel a straighter path through the pins. In that case, the risk is that the head pin will not carry over to take out the 7 (rear left) pin.

I save a straight throw for the 10 pin only. Since my main ball hooks to the left, attempting a hook shot at the 10 pin would always result in a miss for me. That's when I break out my spare ball, which barely hooks at all.

CaptainPeacock on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Candlepin is really weird, what with the small balls and the dead wood. Completely different experience. There's one in the next town, and I haven't been in years. Maybe I'll put a crew together and go.

Also near my college there was a duckpin lane, but I never ended up going.

The town bowling alley is bizarre. Used to be owned by a fundie so it was always awkward going. Now it is owned by this dude that imports all kinds of Japanese arcade machines and whose wife used to work in restaurants in Tokyo and who makes authentic-ish Japanese food, rather than your standard fried crap you usually get at alleys. I live in a really small town in the middle of nowhere so this doesn't make much sense.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    Bowling is a sport?

Yes?

I mean, darts, poker, golf etc. are sports, so I fail to see how bowling doesn't qualify as a sport.

Though I probably just shouldn't let myself get baited by what is most likely a trolling post.

It was a joke, yes.

I don't understand how all of those things ended up as a sport, however, they seem more like hobbies but people will go watch them, so obviously I Differ.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The "You f'kin asked for it" at the end made me laugh.

Toxin01 on
  • Options
    pdk01pdk01 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I usually roll about 100, but one time I had the magic with me and rolled a 287. I tried to get the prize for being over 250, but that was for leagues only :x

pdk01 on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Obviously, none of you are golfers.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Here's how I bowl:

Step 1: Get heaviest ball you can find there.
    Step 2: Fucking launch that son of a bitch towards the pins as hard/fast as you can.

Can only do a few games before my arm hurts, but it's hilarious to do this. The pins fly around so hard that I normally get a strike if I hit one or two pins.

(Keyword is: if)

urahonky on