As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You've finally arrived... A Morrowind [Let's Play][NSf56k]

• Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well ill went into town and bought morrowind such was my desire to play the game

Installing
    *glee

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Options
    pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mage. Fire solves everything.

pantsy on
  • Options
    The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mage. Nords, no matter what class you choose, take forever to get through the game. And mages can steal everything not nailed down just as well as (or, with chameleon cheese, better than) thieves.

If they thief had been a Khajiit, though, he'd probably have won. Khajiit are frickin' awesome.

The Lord of Hats on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Khajiits are lame

Argonians are the superior beast race and everyone knows it

Man, now I want to play Morrowind so bad...

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Go as the Argonian and play it as though he doesn't know he's an argonian.

I vote for this too.

Also I'll laugh when
    he first gets woken by a dark brotherhood assassin.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Final Vote.

Ormgeirr 3
    Leyhardt 7
    Hejka 11

To be honest, mage was my least favorite option. Apprentice scares me (though I think I'll stick with it). As for mages being able to take everything not nailed down, the fact is that I will not be doing that as the mage. I've specifically chosen role-playing options, and while the rogue might do it, and the barbarian would probably take anything cool not nailed down, the uppity mage most often simply wont bother.

To be honest, if it weren't for the Telvanni, mage wouldn't have been an option. But there is the Telvanni.

I also, in the choices, wanted to pick some non-standard picks. I suppose Nord Barbarian's a little common, but I don't think a lot of people would go through the game pure barbarian anyway. Kajiit was out, and believe me; if the mage was a breton, this would be a lot easier. I'll manage though. I dont usually like beast-man races, though I like the Elder Scrolls ones. I hope this doesn't make me a furry.

piL on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    More of a scaly really.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Do the mage, Argonians are cool.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Just installing some mods into a new game, screwing around a bit and stumbled across this in Balmora 8-)

I love castles and always thought Balmora could use one

1zpnvja.jpg

Zombie Monkey on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Up on the 3rd tier

ou4od2.jpg

Zombie Monkey on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was gonna vote for the mage as well, so I'm glad that's how things turned out.

This may seem unnecessary, but there are some incredible game-altering mods out there that add tons of monsters and NPC's, make the landscape more varied and interesting, increase the likelihood of inclement weather, tweak some of the skills so that they're actually viable, and remove the goddamn slaughter fish and cliff racers.

It was rather a pain in the ass to download them all and get them functioning with each other, but I would imagine there are compilations now that alleviate some of the headache. If you've done Morrowind before and are looking to freshen up the experience, I'd definitely look into some of those.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    Delicious SteveDelicious Steve Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm also playing a relatively new-ish game, level 2 bosmer pilgrim with the sign of the lover (i think, i have +25 agility and paralyse for 1 minute spell)

Anyway i just joined the mage's guild, and stole some stuff, and i picked up a soul gem worth 60,000 gold, for some reason when bartering i have to click instead of holding down to change the value, meaning i have to click 50,000 times :| suppose that balances out stealing expensive stuff, but... 50,000 clicks, why can't it just automatically choose his maximum gold, or let you type in the gold value

I also noticed there was one face that didn't make the wood elves look like retards and i picked that.

Also, late but, Argonian Mage is the right decision.

So is this LETS PLAY stuff like Livin' in Oblivion ? Except you ask people on the forum what to do at each choice ? because if he's going to ask us what to do at every choice the game gives you this is going to get tedious.

Oh and what mods are you using? i have no idea what ones are garbage useless and what ones are essential.

Delicious Steve on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    This first part will be short; I expect most to be a bit longer than this, but I wanted to make sure I kept everyone involved. First business Hejka was chosen, an argonian mage with the apprentice birthsign. An extra 50% damage from magic is going to be painful, but I believe it suits the character's nature, and the extra mana is all but necessary.

CTD count: 1

Also, an addendum to the rules, mainly for clarification.

Every 'option' will be color coded, with the same color for similar options. So for example:

I have two hours to kill, I can go to the mall, or see a movie. After that, I have a meeting with my boss. Should I dress casual, or wear a suit? Should I really push for the raise, or hope he recognizes my worth on his own; after all, I don't wish to be too pushy.

In this instance, you can make a green vote, an orange vote, and a red vote. You don't have to vote all colors, but any vote you make needs to be color coded. Example:

You should go to the mall, and push for the raise. You deserve it.

With that covered, lets begin!

Chapter 1: Not even last night's storm could wake you

Part 1: What's your name?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5I9e_6X35w

I was shuddering when Jiub finally managed to arouse me from my slumber. I felt clammy and cold, and the dream remained vivid in my mind, refusing to be swept away by consciousness as dreams are meant to be. The sea must have made me feverish.

2h7ncex.jpg
    Jiub: Stand up, there you go. You were dreaming. What's your name?

Jiub. I remember him introducing himself early on, though I didn't say much to him. Exhaustion overcame me, and I spent most the journey asleep.

vch0g.jpg
    Hejka: Hejka.

My voice was gruff and I was still a little shaken.

1zyadt3.jpg
    Jiub: Well, not even last night's storm could wake you. I heard them say we've reached Morrowind, I'm sure they'll let us go.
    Hejka: Or find us a better prison--one where they can work us to death instead of waiting for-
    Jiub: Quiet! Here comes the guard.

2s1oriv.jpg
    Guard: This is where you get off, come with me.

I had no choice to follow, and little reason to disobey. I just hope that Jiub was right.

fmmgyf.jpg
    fohkc1.jpg
    idvbx2.jpg

Guard: Get yourself up on deck, and let's keep this as civil as possible.

mhu0c6.jpg

The sky was overcast, and yet, the sudden brightness still managed to blind me. I paused to look around, take in my new settings and let my eyes adjust.

30lkplh.jpg
    More ocean.
    v7ec00.jpg
    The town and--what's that? I read of those; silt striders they're called. The illustrations never made them look so big.

9ssd2b.jpg
    Guard: This is where they want you. Head down to the dock and he'll show you to the Census Office.

n2jrpu.jpg
    Guard: You've finally arrived, but our records don't show from where.

[OOC: Here, I was going to show you the race selection, but the game crashed and I forgot to
    screenshot it later. If there's really a demand for it, I can oblige.]

Hejka: I'm from High Hold--even you've surely heard of it. Of course, I came just direct from Cyrodill.

I sighed my frustration. Why can't these imperial types ever seem to do anything right?

rupcuv.jpg
    Guard: I'm sure you'll fit right in. Come with me to the Census Office, and they'll finish up your release.

vrdbtz.jpg
    2up3k3p.jpg
    xe3jfm.jpg

I took a look around. The old man seemed impatient to get my files through, while the guard looked bored out of his mind.

m9c7bt.jpg
    Socucious Ergalla: Ah yes, we've been expecting you. You'll have to be recorded before you're officially released. There are a few ways we can do this, and the choice is yours.
    Hejka: Lets just run me through the quick way.

14l1ydt.jpg
    mshav5.jpg
    Hejka: I'm a mage, they've at least told you that much.

2z74n50.jpg
    Socucious Ergalla: Very good. The letter that preceded you mentioned you were born under a certain sign. And what would that be?

4t7iu0.jpg
    Hejka: The Apprentice, can we get on with it, or would you like my biography as well?

20fovfn.jpg
    Socucious Ergalla: Interesting. Now before I stamp these papers, make sure this information is correct.
    I glanced over the paper work, but to be honest, I wasn't all that interested. I just wanted to get back into the fresh air. Were they really freeing me? I was numb, and I wasn't sure I believed them any more.

2najy3q.jpg
    Socucious Ergalla: Show your papers to the Captain when you exit to get your release fee.
    Hejka: That's it? Thank you.
    34dsu49.jpg

For release by Emperor Uriel Septim VII's decree to the district of Vvardenfell in the province of Morrwind.

Name: Hejka
    Race: Argonian
    Class: Mage

Signed,
    Socucious Ergalla
    Agent of the Seyda Neen Imperial Census and Excise.

1zb2pc.jpg
    Guard: Continue through to the next building and talk to Sellus Gravius.

3341yqs.jpg

2ev6r15.jpg
    6iuzk7.jpg
    The Firmament--I remembered this from when I was young. I took a quick scan of The Apprentice to see if it had any advice for me. Same as it always was.

29lbo12.jpg
    I immediately remembered I hadn't eaten for over a day. I quickly snatched up a piece of bread and ate it with the crab meat they had kindly set out for me. The flin had a distinct taste, and to be honest, after drinking only water for so long, the flavor was too much.

t7iv6x.jpg
    I exited and noticed a strange ring on the barrel. I grabbed it; it may not be much, but it shouldn't be left without an owner.

b5goe0.jpg
    Hejka: Captain Gravius?
    Sellus Gravius: Yes? Ah, first, let me take your identification papers. THank you. Word of your arrival only reached me yesterday. I am Sellus Gravius. But my background is not important. I'm here to welcome you to Morrowind

He took my papers with the stern hand of a seasoned officer. I didn't know him personally, but I found his efficiency and manner amiable.

1073lf4.jpg
    Hejka: Morrwind you say?
    Sellus Gravius: Yes, You're in Morrowind. I don't know why you're here, or why you were released from prison and shipped here. But your authroization comes directly from Emperor Uriel Septim VII thimself. And I don't need to know any more than that. When you leave this office, you are a free man. But before you go, I have instructions on your duties. Instructions from the Emperor. So pay careful attention.
    Hejka: Of course there's a catch. There's always a catch.
    Sellus Gravius: This package came with the news of your arrival. You are to take it to Vaius Cosades, in the town of Balmora. Go to the South Wall Cornerclub, and ask for Caius Cosades -- they'll know where to find him. Serve him as you would serve the Emperor himself. I also have a letter for you, and a disbursal to your name.

He then handed me: Directions to Caius Cosades, Package for Caius Cosades, and 87 Gold.

Sellus Gravius: Report to Caius Cosades in Balmora. I can't tell you where to find him, but you are to go to the South Wall Cornerclub and ask for him. Someone there can direct you to him.

Hejka: Thanks I guess. I'll see you if I see you.
    Sellus Gravius: Akatosh watch over you.

Directions to Caius Cosades

2qmofvm.jpg

Hejka

You have been given these directions and a package of documents. Do not show them to anyone. Do not attempt to read the documents in the package. The package has been sealed and your tampering will be discovered and punished.

Follow these directions,

Proceed to the town of Balmora in Vvardenfell District. Report to a man named Caius Cosades. He will be your superior and patron; you will follow his orders. His residence is not known, but ask at the cornerclub called "South Wall". People there will know where to find Caius Cosades. WHen you report to Caius Cosades, deliver the package of documents to him, and wait for further orders.

Remember. You owe your life and freedom to the Emperor. Serve him well, and you will be rewarded. Betray him, and you will suffer the fate of all traitors.

I have the Honor to prepare this at the direction of his Most Sovereign Majesty the Emperor Uriel Septim,

Glabrio Bellienus
    Personal Secretary to the Emperor

e6x8gm.jpg
    Finally Freedom!

There's a few things I need to do, however. That food was filling, but I'm still a little hungry. How shall I eat tonight? Shall I buy my meal, or should I find it in the wild. It could be dangerous, but I think I still remember a spell or two.
    That reminds me, I need to start rebuilding my repertoire of spells. That can be expensive. Should I try to squeeze together some scratch before I head to Balmora, or should I go meet with this Caius fellow immediately? I'd like to be prepared for whatever he'd have me do.
    Finally, I'd rather not spend the night in the wild, and there's no beds in Seyda Neen. I long for a bed. Should I take that strange Silt Strider beast, or should I make the journey on foot? I'm rather well rested at the moment, and I could travel into the night--though I'd rather not.

Bonus question
    : If I do travel, should I go round-about past Pelagiad, or towards Hla Oad. This is a strange land, and I don't know enough of the layout.

piL on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Zombie: That's not a bad castle. I found a mod that put a pretty cool one near Suran, just across the river. I like it well enough.

Witch Doctor: I think, for now, I'm going to avoid throwing on a lot of content mods, and I think my passive wildlife mod will protect me from annoying cliff racers (except for blighted ones).

Steve: I'd say a little like living in Oblivion, except I fully intend to progress through the main story; the character is still a hero, not an NPC. But yeah, I think you got it. Not every choice will be the viewers, but general choices were. See the first post as an example; basically, "Should I quest, should I progress the main quest? How should I proceed?" etc.

The mods are listed under the top spoiler in the OP.

Everyone: Let me know if there's things I could change, formatting boo-boos, or things where I just didn't make the cut. I'm considering knocking the resolution down to 800x600 so the subtitles are legible when I scale the screenshots down. Also, 800x600 seems a little big. Also, are the images a little dark? Should I knock the gamma up a bit?

Edit: Also, sorry to everyone who voted and didn't get their choice. I picked three choices that I hoped to have fun with no matter what, but to be honest, I think I was secretly rooting for the Barbarian. That's ok though; maybe I'll do an Oblivion one of these eventually, and there I'll play the Barbarian where melee combat is fun.

piL on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I say you should find your meal in the wild, squeeze together some scratch, and make the journey on foot. The road past Hla Oad is a little bit more interesting... I would go that way.

Also, I don't know what kind of computer you're running, but you might consider using the distant land feature of Morrowind Graphics Extender. It makes the world look much nicer.

Food on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Buy your meal, get some cash, and Silt strider express

Xtarath on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was looking at your skills for Mage, and shuddered when I remembered the vanilla Unarmored. You are a brave soul indeed.

In any case, my votes are for finding your meal, meet with Caius immediately, and make the journey on foot.

And take the path up to Hla Oad.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I was considering MGE. I'm a little afraid of trying it, even though I know it couldn't hurt to give it a shot. At worst, I could make no change with the distance and the fps optimizer that's with it would still probably help. I might just do that, thanks Food.

Witch: Oh yeah, I'm a little terrified at how frail I am. I might have to train some armor skill if things start getting too rough.

piL on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You should buy your meal, I doubt the swamp creatures would be terribly tasty.

Meet with Caius immediately, not much going on in this one horse (not even one horse, it would have been eaten long ago) town. You need some fresh(ish) air and exercise after your incarceration, so make the journey on foot, and take the path up to Hla Oad (I always take the Pelagiad path so I don't know if there's much of interest the other way).

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    There's a really really good item that way I'll be passing up, unless some very specific stuff happens. I'm not sure how to handle things like that fairly. I'll probably pass it up.

Edit: Well I think I might know how I'll handle it. We'll see what happens.

piL on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Once again I defer to a random dice roll,

I vote find it in the wild, squeeze together some scratch before I head to Balmora, make the journey on foot, go round-about past Pelagiad.

The dice have spoken!

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The UselessWarrior method is the one I've adopted for this round of choices. So my votes are:

Buy your meal, Squeeze together some scratch before you head to Balmora, Make the journey on foot, and Go round-about past Pelagiad.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I say find food in the wild, meet with Caius, journey on foot, and take the path to Hla Oad.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Just found this thread in time for the first vote it seems, You should buy your meal, squeeze together some scratch before I head to Balmora then make the journey on foot and go towards Hla Oad.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Food wrote: »
    I say you should find your meal in the wild, squeeze together some scratch, and make the journey on foot. The road past Hla Oad is a little bit more interesting... I would go that way.

Also, I don't know what kind of computer you're running, but you might consider using the distant land feature of Morrowind Graphics Extender. It makes the world look much nicer.

Quoting this dude's votes as my own.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Delicious SteveDelicious Steve Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh so it's not like an open adventure where you say "there are 7 buildings in the area, 12 villagers of mixed race and 4 town guards, what do i do?" this should be fun.

buy your meal, squeeze together some scratch before you head to Balmora and make the journey on foot using the road past Hla Oad

Delicious Steve on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Im currently headed towards ghostgate as a low level argonian

Zombie Monkey on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Scavenge food, make some money, make the journey on foot. Pelagiad path. Find a reason to break into Fargoth's home if possible.

Also:
    If you want money, besides the Fargoth quest, there's a dead tax collector in the wilderness near the town. It's easy to miss.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If your in need for armour head over to ald ruhn to the guards stations at the entrance, some lovely bonemold armour in both, enough for you and several trips to the merchants for a decent amount of gold

Zombie Monkey on
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I remember there's a hollow tree stump that you can see from the lighthouse that has a magic axe in it. Go ye forth and aquire yon axe!

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    isnt that the fargoth quest line trunk?

Zombie Monkey on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    No, it's a different trunk, next to the lighthouse. There's an axe just...lying on top if it. You have to jump from a nearby rock to get it.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Find your meal, get some cash, and walk through Hla Oad.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Do we have alot of threads of this ilk? If so it might be worth it to set up some kind of auto counting script.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Voting is closed

Kill your meal 7
    Buy your meal 5

Make some money 9
    Balmora 3

Walk 11
    Ride 1

Hla Oad 8
    Pelagiad 3

Thank you guys for voting! It's probably still going to be a while before I get a new post up, since I still have classes long into the night, and a painting I need to work on. I'm going to knock a bit out now though, so I have less to do later. Just a warning; though these votes may set future action, not all of them may come directly into play yet. I might not get all the way through money-quests in Seyda Neen before the post and so I might not ready to walk yet. Rest assured, however, that I'll stand by the vote.

Edit for replies!

Delicious Steve: Nah, I'm going to direct the action a bit so that there's more of a cohesive behavior. I hope that's not a problem?

Zombie: Discovering Ghostgate was one of my most epic moments when I first played Morrowind on the Xbox. Also, I'm not sure I'll be going for armor, and I'm not so much a thief anyway.
    Also, glass in Ghostgate is super easy to get with telekinesis. You can get it without, but I think a new character with a 100gp scroll could make out like a bandit no trouble.

TVs_Frank: I'll probably hit up the tax collector quest. We'll see. The only other thing I can think of is the smuggler's den, which I'll probably pass by. (edit) Actually, I just recalled that the Fargoth quest would require me to stay the night, which is pretty much right out. Lucky bosmer.

Funguy McAids: Aye, I know about the hollow tree stump. I don't think my character would, however. If I were the rogue, I'd have the tower, however, and could 'discover' it that way.

Uselesswarrior: I'm not really all too sure.

piL on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Not a thief, why theres no other way to play, as much as i try the compulsion to steal is too great, already made 10,000 septims because of it :(

I need help

Zombie Monkey on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Reading the Morrowind wiki, I found that unarmored actually doesn't work unless you're wearing at least one piece of armor. I was never aware of this before, but apparently you can patch that with this. Here is a full description of other things it fixes.

Also, with a maxed unarmored skill, your character's armor rating is only 65, well under the benefit for the same skill in light, medium, or heavy. And while I can see this making some sense for a physically-inept mage, you would expect monks or rogues to get better at dodging blows. But if you just don't want to have to resort to armor because it doesn't thematically make sense, this mod gives unarmored a sanctuary bonus that increases as your skill levels up. Which should make survival easier, and keep your sanity intact.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That's very kind, and I'll keep it in mind if things get too rough. In the time being, however, I'm going to do my best to stick with the restrictions. I'll be sure to grab a piece of armor soon though.

piL on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Also, with a maxed unarmored skill, your character's armor rating is only 65, well under the benefit for the same skill in light, medium, or heavy.

Yes but mages can buff that with Shield.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you don't get the Daedric Crescent, aka The Broken One, this game I will consider this LP a failure.

Seriously, that was my favorite moment in Morrowind finding that weapon by accident. Or is it out this time because it's technically stealing?

Thetheroo on