As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's official: Bush sucked

GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
According to this story: http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/16/presidential.survey/index.html, a group of 65 historians has ranked the US presidents on a variety of scales. No big surprise that Abraham Lincoln comes out on top, followed by Washington and FDR.

Also no big surprise that George W. Bush comes out near the bottom. Specifically, 36 out of 42, ahead of Fillmore, Harding, Harrison, Pierce, Johnson and Buchanan.

Of particular note,
The survey's participants ranked Bush 41st on international relations and 40th on economic management -- ahead of only Herbert Hoover.

So, the question is this: will history's view of Bush change over time? More specifically, what would need to happen for Bush's presidency to be viewed in a more positive light?

I think that if Obama's economic plans fail, Bush's legacy will appear more positive. He can then still make the argument that the conservative economic philosophy would eventually work, the market would self-correct, etc. Internationally, the only development that would improve his standing would be the growth of a true, vibrant democracy in Iraq and/or Afghanistan which allies with the US.

steam_sig.png
IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
GoodOmens on

• Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It really doesn't matter how many people agree now, though it might be a good leading indicator. We need to be another couple of decades down the line before we start to see the true and complete impact of Bush's presidency.

edit: Though this isn't to give any credit to the Bush = Truman meme that has been making the rounds on the right. Truman was wildly unpopular as he left office among the general public, but pretty much all the informed observes had a much better opinion of him at the time that became the general consensus as tempers cooled and time p[ased; Bush will have no such luxury.

My point is more a matter of we need to see what the final damage is than to wait and see if Bush was right.

werehippy on
  • Options
    DozingDragonDozingDragon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ford was ranked among the worst when he left office, but by the time of his death, people realized he didn't belong anywhere near the bottom.

Plus, Buchanan and Warren G. Harding both hold a special place in my mind for the worst presidents.

DozingDragon on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    So, the question is this: will history's view of Bush change over time?

Of course.
    More specifically, what would need to happen for Bush's presidency to be viewed in a more positive light?

Events, dear boy, events. We aren't far enough afield to really objectively judge much in a historical context.

moniker on
  • Options
    MatrijsMatrijs Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, the question is this: will history's view of Bush change over time? More specifically, what would need to happen for Bush's presidency to be viewed in a more positive light?

President Bush isn't getting any help on the economic front. Even if Obama were to fail dramatically and plunge America and the world into a Greater Depression, Bush would still not be viewed as a positive economic influence.

Where he might see some rehabilitation is on foreign policy. If Iraq is functional in the next twenty years, he'll probably get credit for that, which is no small thing. Second, if we start seeing more and more frequent terrorist attacks in America, he'll probably get credit for going seven and a half years or so without allowing one, fairly or not.

Matrijs on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ford was ranked among the worst when he left office, but by the time of his death, people realized he didn't belong anywhere near the bottom.

Plus, Buchanan and Warren G. Harding both hold a special place in my mind for the worst presidents.
    Ford certainly isn't the worst, but he definitely ranks down there, solely for pardoning Nixon

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Nixon did better than Bush though....

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    werehippy wrote: »
    We need to be another couple of decades down the line before we start to see the true and complete impact of Bush's presidency.

edit: Though this isn't to give any credit to the Bush = Truman meme that has been making the rounds on the right.

We already had a really long thread about this a month or two ago, though.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    He was this forum's choice for #1, and really that's all that matters.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

This forum's opinion may be quite different in ten or twenty years, if it's still around, too. The simple fact that he was the (currently outgoing) worst president in most forumers' lifetimes would put him at the forefront of their minds.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was joking, in reality you need a generation or two to really judge. I don't see how his reputation gets better though. As the first hand accounts from Guantanamo guards come out it's only getting worse in my mind.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AlphaPiZeroAlphaPiZero Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm putting this thread down for "Great".

AlphaPiZero on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    A lot of young men, women and children are going to grow up and tell stories of when George Bush broke the world and was the most evil man of the generation. I find it unlikely people are going to let that go, especially with the Internet nowadays.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

We'd need to have more horrible presidents.

In seriousness, his only hope is that Iraq becomes a flower of progressive democracy, a shining example to the rest of the region of how the Middle East can move forward and get along with the west.

Which ain't happening. Sorry.

He may manage to shift upward, but he'll probably remain bottom third.....well, for as long as there's a US.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    A lot of young men, women and children are going to grow up and tell stories of when George Bush broke the world and was the most evil man of the generation. I find it unlikely people are going to let that go, especially with the Internet nowadays.

That seems historically accurate to the point where it's depressing and freaky.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    George W. Bush was an incredible president. Under his guidance our country grew in prosperity, safeness, and moral defensibility. I shall miss him terribly.

Organichu on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

That seems historically accurate to the point where it's depressing and freaky.

That was actually from SNL.

Obama recently apologized for [cabinet mistakes]. You're apologizing for THAT? I don't know if you remember, but the last guy in office broke the world!

Shit, he'll probably never leave his home/ranch ever again. Which is the worst part, that after all he's done he'll still have enough money to hide from the damage he caused, and like somebody else said, spend the rest of his life surrounded by people who worship him. Enough money to just, get away from everybody.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't know if Bush will always be seen as being as bad a President as he is viewed today, but I definitely do not see him ever being viewed as a good President.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    OremLK wrote: »

This forum's opinion may be quite different in ten or twenty years, if it's still around, too. The simple fact that he was the (currently outgoing) worst president in most forumers' lifetimes would put him at the forefront of their minds.

It may interest you to know that this forum's opinion on Polk was 'Presidential in the front, Mexican incursion in the back.' I don't know how that would flavour consideration of our objectivity.

moniker on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    George W. Bush was an incredible president. Under his guidance our country grew in prosperity, safeness, and moral defensibility. I shall miss him terribly.
    I agree. He kept the US safe from another 9/11-style attack, after the one caused by Clinton's weak appeasement policies. He bravely led a coalition of several dozens of countries against Iraq - and like the Viet-Nam war hero he is, he led from the front lines, landing a fighter plane on the deck of a battleship. In one fell swoop he took out Saddam and his allies who orchestrated 9/11, brought peaceful democracy to Iraq and the Middle-East, and made Saddam's stockpile of WMDs disappear.

Bush is a name future generations will remember alongside Caesar and Alexander.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's funny, when I listen to people talking politics, the ones who miss Bush, or hate Obama are always people who have money, or stood to lose money... One of my managers at my old place of employment actually refused to vote Obama due to his name... :(

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think the central trend of our times, the theme around which histories are going to be written, is the declining power of the nation state. Non-state actors from transnational corporations to religious terrorists to non-network television and the internet played a greater role in the affairs of humanity.

So when we think about how Bush performed from that angle within the Clinton/Bush/Obama era, how does that shake out?

That's the question. And it is going to have to wait a few years to answer.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Throw a Herbert in there and I'd agree with this statement.

moniker on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Even if, in 20 or so years, the world turns on a dime and things magically go the way Bush "planned" It would still be a horrible injustice to credit him for it. He was still a bumbling fool even if the world does end up working out the way he wanted.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Richy wrote: »
    I agree. He kept the US safe from another 9/11-style attack, after the one caused by Clinton's weak appeasement policies. He bravely led a coalition of several dozens of countries against Iraq - and like the Viet-Nam war hero he is, he led from the front lines, landing a fighter plane on the deck of a battleship. In one fell swoop he took out Saddam and his allies who orchestrated 9/11, brought peaceful democracy to Iraq and the Middle-East, and made Saddam's stockpile of WMDs disappear.

Bush is a name future generations will remember alongside Caesar and Alexander.

...Sarcasm? D:

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Speaker wrote: »
    I think the central trend of our times, the theme around which histories are going to be written, is the declining power of the nation state. Non-state actors from transnational corporations to religious terrorists to non-network television and the internet played a greater role in the affairs of humanity.

So when we think about how Bush performed from that angle within the Clinton/Bush/Obama era, how does that shake out?

Eh, even by that metric it doesn't seem likely to have much of a turnaround that can be traced to him. He largely strengthened (or emboldened, if you like) the non-state terrorist organizations, and I can't think of any major copyright or net-neutrality type legislation that occurred. Maybe the spectrum sales, but that'd give more credit to Google with it's requirement of open access. It's likely that he'll fade into irrelevance, we've had worse War Criminal Presidents than him, but stay in the bottom half/third. Unless PEPFAR cures AIDS or something.

moniker on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    KING: So there's nothing you've done in the area of treatment of prisoners that causes you any kind of pause?

G. BUSH: No. No. Everything we did was -- you know, it had legal -- legal opinions behind it. Look, you're sitting there, you've captured Khalid Sheikh Mohammed. He's the guy that ordered the September the 11th attacks. And we want to know what he knows in order to protect the United States of America. And I got legal opinions that said whatever we're going to do is legal. And my job is to protect you, Larry. And I've given it my all. I've given it my all.

The most glorious president.

JAEF on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    moniker wrote: »

Eh, even by that metric it doesn't seem likely to have much of a turnaround that can be traced to him. He largely strengthened (or emboldened, if you like) the non-state terrorist organizations, and I can't think of any major copyright or net-neutrality type legislation that occurred. Maybe the spectrum sales, but that'd give more credit to Google with it's requirement of open access. It's likely that he'll fade into irrelevance, we've had worse War Criminal Presidents than him, but stay in the bottom half/third. Unless PEPFAR cures AIDS or something.

I guess it depends on how things shake out, but any initiatives he made on preparation for a major contagious disease outbreak or his proposal for a guest worker program might end up seeming rather important to history than they do to us now.

Speaker on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009

*hi-5*

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I guess it depends on how things shake out, but any initiatives he made on preparation for a major contagious disease outbreak or his proposal for a guest worker program might end up seeming rather important to history than they do to us now.

If the immigration bill actually passed I'd agree. That's the thing, almost all of his major domestic policy initiatives failed, sucked, or sucked before they ultimately failed. That's what helped redeem Nixon, all the good stuff he also did that gets overshadowed by Watergate and Cambodia. Bush doesn't have any of those aside from PEPFAR and maybe Medicare Part D assuming it turns out to be useful when we finally reform health care under a different administration.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

*hi-5*

If I were in Congress I would have proposed naming the crash barriers/basin at the end of runways or the control tower/radar arrays at Reagan National that help save the plane/lives when things go wrong the George H.W. Bush ___ when they renamed the airport. When something at Reagan fucks up, H.W. Bush ___ saves the day.

moniker on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    werehippy wrote: »
    It really doesn't matter how many people agree now, though it might be a good leading indicator. We need to be another couple of decades down the line before we start to see the true and complete impact of Bush's presidency.

edit: Though this isn't to give any credit to the Bush = Truman meme that has been making the rounds on the right. Truman was wildly unpopular as he left office among the general public, but pretty much all the informed observes had a much better opinion of him at the time that became the general consensus as tempers cooled and time p[ased; Bush will have no such luxury.

My point is more a matter of we need to see what the final damage is than to wait and see if Bush was right.

If the world as we know it ever ends up clawing its way out of the depths of hades that he pushed us into

override367 on
  • Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Yeah, I think Speaker is pretty much dead on, and I think the narrative that'll arise out of that as far as Bush goes is that he sort of flailingly tried to exert the power of the nation-state, but had his efforts repeatedly thwarted by those same rising non-state actors. He didn't learn from those mistakes, and continued trying to lead using old strategies that no longer worked in the new power setting.

Basically I think he'll be remembered as a shining example of the decline of state power, as well as one of the people whose actions helped to weaken the state faster and hastened the rise of non-state actors across the board, and I think as a result the historical perspective on him is basically going to be as an incompetent leader who spent eight years commanding the tide not to come in.

Abbalah on
  • Options
    RussellRussell Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bush will already be a deity by the year 2050.

(amongst republicans)

Russell on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Russell wrote: »

(amongst republicans)

Probably more a cross between Nixon and Ford.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

(amongst republicans)

Probably more a cross between Nixon and Ford.

So secretive, authoritarian, incompetent and ineffectual?

Am I reading that right?

Russell on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

(amongst republicans)

They'll have an overly rosy vision of the last president they managed to elect?

Hey, it could happen.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Scooter wrote: »

(amongst republicans)

Hey, it could happen.

Ding!

I'll take a permanent democratic majority for 500, Alex

Russell on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Scooter wrote: »

(amongst republicans)

Hey, it could happen.

Ding!

I'll take a permanent democratic majority for 500, Alex

Even if Repubs keep running with people as awful as Bush, I find it hard to believe that Dems will hold a "permanent majority" post Obama. A lot of them are ass goblins and have been comically ineffectual over the last few decades.

Neo-Con Repubs may be insane, morally bankrupt and dangerous to the principles upon the nation was founded, but at least they can control the god damn message and run a campaign.

EDIT: See recent stimulus package antics. Repubs controlled the message almost entirely (dems were laughable in defending it), until Obama stepped in and sold it to the public.

Also, Bush's leadership in a crisis score should be higher imo. He didn't suck immediately post 9/11.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Any opinion of Bush at this moment in time is too likely to be tainted by vitriol over the economic mess we're in. It doesn't take much reading between the lines in political talk to parse that the current view is that Obama inherited the crisis from his predecessor.

We're unlikely to know the extent of how good or bad a president Bush was for a few more years, at least.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Also, Bush's leadership in a crisis score should be higher imo. He didn't suck immediately post 9/11.

Short of Bush attempting to surrender to Bin Laden it was physically impossible for him to not be viewed a solid leader after 9/11. When everyone is shitting flags and bald eagles the president is nigh on deified.

werehippy on