As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC] Mouse Guard: Spring 1149 - How the west was won

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cool. that is the simplest solution.

I just didn't want to be the one to suggest it. :P

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I guess you guys are full, then?

I've been looking at this for a bit, and it looks quite different. I imagine 5 players wouldn't work, but if you have a dropout, I'll be happy to step in! :)

El Skid on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Now that we finally have four apps I will be starting pretty soon, but anyone interested can still apply.

I will be taking four mice, so you pretty much will be determining who you "compete" with by the rank you make a mouse at ;o

e~ hehe i was just being silly about boatcraft. it is really cool in my opinion but you don't need to to live.... usually :D

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Nah, seeing as people have actually spent money on this for the priviledge, and I am a very in-debt person who would die a gruesome death for spending cash on an RPG, I'll let the others have a go. :P

If anyone wanted to help me make a character in the MG discussion thread though, It'd be appreciated.

El Skid on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So did you intentionally pick the exact same names for your character's parents as mine, Destro

Or were you just really lazy and picked the first two names, too?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ...I did not notice that.

I was not lazy, those were the two that presented themselves to me.

Guess I have to go change that don't I?

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Maybe you're siblings :P

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    that'd be weird

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Plus you're from different towns / backgrounds. Swappy swappy.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Recruiting
    Application has been slow, and seeing as we have four mice with good potential I'm ready to proceed.
    Other interested parties: you may continue to post characters for use in bit parts and cameos if you wish, and also for replacements should the day come when a member of the patrol is killed or the player has to drop out for RL as sometimes happens.

The Patrol
    Patrol Leader: Bertrand, played by Destroyah
    Patrol Guard: Elwood, played by MightySpacePope
    Guard Mouse: Connor, played by ArcanistheImpotent
    Tenderpaw: Ryan, played by INeedNoSalt

The Prologue Next
    Individual notes
    Characters look good so far. If anyone wants to tweak, now is the time.

Connor: Please make a post of your character in this thread which you will keep updated as he advances etc so I can make a link to it.

Ryan: Please choose a mentor. :) Also: how long have you been a tenderpaw in the patrol? I would recommend less than a year, but up to you.

Bertrand: You have good info about your past in your background but tell a little more about him now, make an impression of who he is with his traits / personality / character a bit.

Elwood: Is there any partifcular reason you are 50 and still a Patrol Guard? You don't neeeed one, but maybe it could lead to something cool. Also: Are you
    on a boat? (NSFW lyrics)

edit~ i forgot it would get all linky-huge like that.
    Bertrand and Elwood: You are both from Port Sumac. Any connection? Just a thought. Maybe more usefully discussed below in -

Party Notes: aka homework ;D

Before we move to IC, I would like each of the four players to make [at least] one post involving the history of the patrol. It could be told from the standard IC pov, or a narrative story or whatever works for you. The goal is to flesh out a little more connection between the characters and some history for the group - maybe an adventure, a conflict, a failure, a success. Doesn't need to be long. As long as you achieve these goals (character connection, patrol history) I'm pleased. Feel free to give each other notes "no my mouse would say something more like this" etc for each story.
    If anyone gets stuck on what to do for this let me know and I'll RNG some parameters to give you a push.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Elwood is still in the guard because he's got a very stubborn old man sort of pride about him and is going to be in the guard either until he dies, or until he can't move around anymore.

Also, since his wife is dead, it gives him something to keep busy.

Also, he firmly belives in the work that the guard does, and thinks that he's got some lessons he could impart to the mouselings.

As for the boat
    AND IT'S GOING FAST AND...
    gameplay opens with Elwood fucking a mermaid

re: Elwood and Bertrand. We could make it so that Elwood has served under Bertrand before. Hell, we could even make it that Elwood was Bertrand's original mentor from way back and the day, and maybe the teacher has now become the student?

fading, you want us to involve all the other mice in the party or just one or two?

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Really up to you guys on how many of the other mice are included in your bit. One to three, though hopefully by the end everyone will have been in at least one story from someone else.
    It might make sense if someone wanted to make a story from before the tenderpaw joined up which is cool, as long as he ends up in one+.

Also: I meant more like "why are you not a Patrol Leader yet" since you're 50. For example, Saxon volunteered to stay at his current rank so he could stick with his friend Kenzie rather than lead a patrol of his own, even though he is judged as a capable mouse. Was there something specific keeping Elwood at his rank? It doesn't need to be addressed if you'd prefer not.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I think generally that Elwood knows that he's better as a second in command than as the big cheese. His superiors have come to learn this also.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    rabble rabble link blah
    Name: Connor

Hometown: Copperwood

Fur Color: Black

Cloak Color: Cyan

Guard rank: Guardmouse

Parents: Jasper and Moira (smiths)

Senior Artisan: Arthur the Brewer

Mentor: Aunt Quinn

Friend: Bruce the Hunter

Enemy: Hannidy

Belief: "You help yourself by helping your friends."

Instinct: "Give away what you don't need."

-Abilities-

Nature (mouse): 5
    Will: 3
    Health: 5

Resources 4 (practices smithing in winter(+1), parents are smiths(+1), buys gifts (-1), not thrifty (+0), packs carefully(+1))

Circles 4 (friendly, family member in the guard)

(x's are checks)
    -Traits-

Independent (x)
    Generous (x)

-Skills-

Fighter (xx) 3
    Healer (xx) 3
    Pathfinder (xxx) 4
    Persuader (x) 2
    Smith (x) 2
    Survivalist (xxx) 4

-Wises-

Night-wise (x) 2
    Trail-wise (x) 2

Gear: A balanced sword, a bow and arrows, a pouch of herbs

Fate: 1
    Persona: 1

Connor is from Copperwood, born to Jasper and Moira who are both enterprising smiths well known in town for their fine works. Connor is a black-furred Guardmouse known for his generous nature and ability to make friends. He firmly believes that you help yourself by helping your friends, and is always more concerned with how his fellow Guardsmice are feeling; the Copperwood independent streak manifests through his unwillingness to burden other mice with his problems.

When not on active patrol, Connor spends his time as a smith for the guard, something his parents are very proud of. When not called upon to repair various metalworks, he is usually spending his time with his Aunt Quinn, with whom he is very close; she was his mentor in the guard. She gave him his cloak on graduation, which is cyan, because of his pleasant disposition. Not only that, however, she gave him her sword, which he treasures and sees as a good-luck charm.

Connor's senior artisan is Arthur the Brewer. He taught Connor about a great deal of herb-lore, though it was all primarily directed towards making beer.

On patrol, Connor is like his Aunt; he serves as the group's healer and woodsmouse. He has good eyes, especially at night, and is very skilled at providing medicinal care when on the trail. He has gained a small reputation within the guard as the mouse you want on your patrol when you're going out in the dark.

Connor's enemy is a mine foreman from his hometown Copperwood, Hannidy. Soon after he joined the Guard, Connor returned home for the winter with Quinn. While procuring some ore for his parents' smithy, he discovered that Hannidy refused to pay his miners full wages. Connor exposed him and they have been bitter enemies since.

His friend is Bruce, a young hunter from Lockhaven. Bruce wanted to join the guard, and was in the pool of applicants, but unfortunately did not make the cut, and so joined one of the hunting groups for Lockhaven. Connor has grown very close and sees Bruce as a little brother; Bruce often seeks him out for advice and for stories from his guard patrols, which Connor gladly shares.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Elwood appraised his work with a critical eye. In one hand he held a chisel, in the other a hammer. He careful chipped away a few more shards from his project.

He'd been a stonemason for as long as he could remember, but he'd never tried this before. He stood back and regarded his work again. Biting his lip, he chipped off a few more shards.

Sculpting a statue was something totally new for him. As of now, it looked like a riot of sharp angles and jagged bumps.

He saw Bertrand approaching, walking in from the side where he still had vision, a much younger mouse trailing behind him. Elwood had of course smelled his old comrade before he saw him, which they both knew. Still, Bertrand made sure to come in from his good side. Good mouse, that Bert.

"Didn't take you for much of an artist, Elwood," Bertrand said, extending his hand.

Elwood took it, briefly shaking it with a firm grip. "Getting bored waiting around here, Bertrand."

Bertrand took a few moments to puzzle over the ugly statue. "I see. Don't take this the wrong way, but I wouldn't quit your day job, if I were you."

Elwood snorted, then turned back to his work. "That hurts, Bert. I thought it bore a pretty darn good resemblance to you. I was gonna give it to you for your birthday."

Bertrand chuckled.

"Who's the kid?" Elwood asked, chipping a few more pieces from the stone.
    I hope I didn't take too many liberties with Bertrnad, destro. I figure either you or salt could reply as you see fit, with arc popping in whenever he wanted to. At least this gives us a potential start for how Elwood and Bertrand relate.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    My intent was that each player do one whole bit, but this is a good little scene ;o Just put moar. Or someone else go/add on or something.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I saw that no one had responded, so I thought I'd keep it open-ended in case people were having trouble getting something started. If no one adds on by tomorrow, I'll expand it.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ryan is still really young, and I imagined him as a fresh tenderpaw.

Also, who wants to mentor Ryan?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Salt, in that case would you be cool with making a short thing about meeting whoever your mentor will be? ;o

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    maybe if i knew who the mentor was

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Elwood looked like a good candidate to me, but I wanted to leave it up to you. And to a lesser extent Elwood / Bertrand / (Connor?)

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    *whipcrack* etc

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    waiting for someone else before i pitch in

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Hm?

Just to be clear if I wasn't -

this isn't a string of IC replies in the OOC thread exercise, by design. If it turns into that cool, but each post was intended to be independent, wherein you took large liberties with each other's characters and then maybe got corrections... or not, since we're OOC it doesn't matter a huge deal.

I was so shocked to see a post when I did the whipcrack thing :lol:

Someone has Arc trained
    :winky:

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    no

i just find it hard to come up with something when the parameters are 'write some stuff with some of these other dudes in it'

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I guess I can see how that might be tough ;p

Do you guys want to do a best-effort at it or just move to IC and start making new memories right away ;o

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    no

i just find it hard to come up with something when the parameters are 'write some stuff with some of these other dudes in it'

I figured this, so I left mine open for people to come in. arc just swing on by on my situation and throw some IC stuff in. So far, you know that Elwood is a salty old bastard. Take that and run with it.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    This is off to a slow start, and that's ok, but just to reassure - we are still on and I have no intention of letting this poop out :)

Destro hasn't posted in 5 days. I'll give him 1-20 hours before recruiting a new PL.

Others:
    I guess I can see how that might be tough ;p

Do you guys want to do a best-effort at it or just move to IC and start making new memories right away ;o

Thoughts?

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    whi-chaw, whi-chaw

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sorry, I'm still here and interested. just had some stuff come up and had a hard time coming up with stuff to contribute. But I think I've got something.

Bertrand smiles, “This is Ryan. Just finished with his apprenticeship and he‘s been assigned to our patrol. Gwendolyn didn‘t say for sure, but I think she wants you to teach him. After all, it wouldn‘t be the first time you‘ve taken a new recruit and taught him well.”

He smiles, “You remember, back when I was still a tenderpaw. My uncle and grandma may have taught me survival skills, everything a guardmouse needs to know to get the job done. You showed me what a guardmouse needs to be to get the job done. I don‘t know if I‘ve ever thanked you for that but I should‘ve...”

Bertrand looks at Elwood’s statue again, “If you say it‘s me, then I guess it‘s me. The ears are wrong though. ...At least you‘ve managed to capture my regal bearing.”

He just laughs when Elwood shoots him a look.

After completing his work with a Lockhaven cartographer, Bertrand was assigned to his uncle‘s patrol. His uncle taught him how to defend himself, pathfinding, and scouting. On the few occasions Bertrand was back in Lockhaven, his grandmother taught him all she knew of weather watching. It was not long after Bertrand was advanced to Guardmouse rank that he first met Elwood. The two found common ground, both being born in Port Sumac, and became friends of a sort. Bertrand looked up to Elwood and valued his experience and wisdom. Over the years the two would keep in contact, exchanging letters and meeting when their assignments allowed.

Bertrand‘s promotion to patrol leader was unexpected. It was given for saving three mice imperiled by a sudden spring thunderstorm as they brought foodstuffs from Wildseed to Lockhaven. After seeing the three safely to Lockhaven with the food delivery moderatly intact, He was told that he was being rewareded with Patrol Leader rank. Bertrand protested the promotion saying, “It‘s what the Guard does. I shouldn‘t be rewarded for doing my job.”

After receiving his new rank, Bertrand needed a patrol to lead. Elwood was assigned first, and a new guardmouse, Conner was assigned later. Bertrand was a little embarrassed at first, having an older mouse he respected be subordinate to him. With Elwoods assurance, Bertrand soon got over this and became a capable leader. He still looked to Elwood for guidance from time to time, trusting in the oldfur’s years to provide sound advice.

Let me know if something needs changing or just doesn't sit right. I kinda like it but I'm more then willing to listen to suggestions.

Edit: Pope, I had an idea that maybe Elwood requested assignment to Bertrand's squad. I like it, but Elwood's your character so I didn't use it. It's just a thought.

I kinda riffed the past friendship off your little ic blurb, hope I didn't overstep my bounds there.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I like all the choices you made there, destro. I'm totally down for that type of dynamic between Bert and El.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm glad you're still with us Destro :) Also I really like what you've added for history.

Would anyone else like to post here or shall we begin IC, gentlemice?

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    i feel like ryan would best be developed in-character

learn of his badassery in action

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ok!

Just Arcanis then. Weigh in, make poast, or comment then we will move on to IC.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    i am kind of stumped actually

i don't feel like i'd have anything substantial to add so it'd just come off as filler; i'd much rather work through it in-play

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ok, that's cool.

IC is go!

If anyone has questions for Gwendolyn now is the time to ask. Once you leave her study you will have a day in Lockhaven that function as a mini-Player's turn (wherein you each can make up to 1 check), and then leave tomorrow.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    fading, since Gwen pretty much gave us the "okay, now get out of my hair" signal, Elwood doesn't have any questions for her. Plus, he's been doing this long enough that something like this is old hat for him.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    My fellow players, be you mice or be you men?
    The answer better be mice.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I, too, hope mice.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    If anyone wants to converse with Alastor or amongst the patrol now feel free. I will edit his exit if needed.

As mentioned, this is a mini-player's turn before the journey begins, you've got a day in Lockhaven. You can each make 1 check (Invisible Castle per usual). No one needs to recover, so you can practice something, drink, teach, carouse, play nine mouse morris, sleep, visit with someone, etc etc. You can opt to exposit the entire thing or just start it off with a prompt and i'll color in everything around you, but this is a "what do you do today" moment.

fadingathedges on