As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC] Mouse Guard: Spring 1149 - How the west was won

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You won't need the book to play, but that's a good price. If anything I would say drop 12ish bucks and get all of the comics before the book :P

The second mouse you described there seems like a good candidate for a tenderpaw who can involve into something greater.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    ZerinanZerinan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, because Amazon has invented one click shopping (Such an evil creation), I've now ordered the RPG book, and the Fall 1152 comic.

Oh, and I'm going to be gone for most of the day, so I won't have my mouse all created until late tonight/early tomorrow. Sorry. And I'm going with the timid character, his name is Noah. (Names are the hardest thing to come up with!)

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That's cool.

El Skid still needs to make his mouse too, and I have some things keeping me busy through sunday anyhow.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i am glad to see my space was filled so quickly

and thus i did not hinder the game too much

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Still room for another?
    I know when I came up with my first mouse, it sucked.
    But I've been reading, and if it's okay with you guys, I would like to try again.

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Hi tommy

It looks like Skid & Zerinan are filling my open spots, but you can make a mouse for reserve or possible roles in the future in addition to the main group.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sure. I probably wouldn't have fit in any way. I was planing on making a thief gone straight. That or the MG equivalent of a 50's Detective.

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I finished the character creation guide you wrote up, Fading. I've got pages of notes and such, but not many stats yet. I'll type it up and post it now, but it'll take a little while.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Cool.

I should note that for the group, Connor and Ryan took some important skills with them. Someone should definitely take some Pathfinder, and a little Healer would be good too. El Skid and yourself should maybe peek at what they had and what Bert and Elwood have and chat out who will take what to round out the group.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Noah the Tenderpaw

Spoiled for wall of text.
    Concept
    1.) A mouse who is timid, and doesn't really rush into battle. He's honored to be a part of the guard and everything, but he's quite fearful of what he might have to face. Despite that timid, fearful nature, he wants to be brave and serve his nation. He just might cower in fear before getting the nerve up to fight.

2.) My name (I'm writing this all IC) is Noah. Um, before joining the Guard, I was an apprentice to a cartographer. Been interested in maps and the far off places they revealed practically my whole life. My ma's name is Susan and my dad is Nolan. My ma is a weaver, and my dad is a miller. Oh yea, and my fur is a really light brown color.

Guard Rank
    I'm just joining the guard, so I guess that makes me a Tenderpaw. Oh, and I'm 14 years old.

Nature
    Do you save for winter even if it means going without something now? Or do you use what you have when you need it?
    If I need to use something I've got, I'll use it. Why bother saving something if I've definitely got to use it now?

When confronted, do you stand your ground and fight or do you run and hide?
    Um... well, I run and hide first, then I might fight, if I need to.

Do you fear owls, weasels and wolves?
    YES! I mean, yes.

Where are you from?
    Elmoss
    A once prosperous city, known for its medicinal moss.
    Skills: Harvester
    Traits: Alert

Life Experience

Pick an area in which you’re naturally talented.
    Cartographer
    Cartographer

What was your parents’ trade?
    Miller - Dad
    Weaver - Mom

How do you convince people that you’re right or to do what you need?
    Persuader
    I try to persuade them to see things my way. Doesn't always work, but it's better than trying to force 'em to do what I want.

Who was your mentor and what was his or her trade?
    Cartographer
    [NAME] is an oldfur who's starting to lose his eyesight. That's no good for a cartographer. And I was always bugging him about all the different places the maps lead to, so he decided to take me on as an apprentice.

Once they complete two seasons of apprenticeship, the each tenderpaw is assigned to a mentor in a guard patrol. Who was your mentor and what did they stress when training you?
    Fighter
    Pathfinder
    (I was guessing someone in the group could be my mentor, but I wanted to check with ya'll first before I went ahead with it.)

Patrol Experience
    Pathfinder
    Pathfinder
    Scout

What's your specialty?
    Pathfinder

Wises!
    Elmoss-wise

Resources
    In winter, do you still practice a trade like weaving, smithing or pottery for the Guard?
    Not really. I'm no good at making useful things like clothes or weapons.

Are your parents smiths, politicians, merchants or apiarists?
    Npoe, just simple trades-mice.

Do you like to buy gifts for yourself and your friends?
    Of course! But most of the items are just little trinkets or baubles.

Are you thrifty?
    Yup. When your parents have to earn each coin they get, they make sure to let you know about it. If I ever wasted money, I'd be "wasting their hard work."

Have you ever been in debt? Or are you generally bad with money?
    No. I try to save every coin I get.

Do you always pack carefully for a journey, ensuring you have everything you need?
    Well, I try to, but there is only so much I can carry alone with me.

Circles
    Is your mouse gregarious? Does he have lots of friends? Does he make friends easily?
    Well... no. I don't have a lot of friends. Mostly it's just me, Daniel, and Maggie. Don't really need more friends than that.

Do you have strong ties to the Guard? Perhaps a family tradition or allies within the Guard?
    I don't have any major ties, at least. I mean, I think my great-grandfather might have been in the Guard. My dad would know about that.

Has your character accomplished some great task in the Guard? Does he already have a reputation?
    I just joined up. Haven't even gone on a mission yet.

Does your character have powerful enemies in the Territories?
    I really doubt I've got any enemies.

Has your character been convicted of a crime?
    Of course not!

Is your character a loner, tough and cool?
    Nope. I don't see the point in acting like that.

Traits
    Young
    Fearful

Friend & Enemy
    Well, I've been friends with Daniel and Maggie ever since we were young mice. We grew up together. It's like we're siblings. They both still live in Elmoss. I usually try to write them often, but I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with it as much now that I'm a part of the Guard.
    Daniel is on his way to become a great carpenter someday and Maggie is an apprentice Baker, but I don't think she'll stick with it long. We all know that she's destined to join the Guard. She was always the most adventurous of the three.

As for enemies, I can't really... wait, I know! Russel! I haven't seen or heard of him in a long time. Typical young mouse bully, but he really seemed to have it out for me. The whole fuss started because he liked Maggie, and he thought I was trying to "move in on his girl." Long story short, I think he went to Lockhaven. Don't know if he joined the Guard or not, though.

Belief
    "I would do anything to protect a friend from harm."

Instinct
    "Run away to live and fight another day."

EDIT: (I like the play between instinct and belief. Might be fun. Oh, and I think I have enough pathfinder. Until I changed things around, it was basically my only skill above 1 check.)

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I like your mouse! Just read through quickly, and I don't have time to stat him out at the moment but you are on a good start. I should be able to generate a sheet for you Sunday evening or Monday afternoon.

El Skid! *pokepoke* Any chance you could have something like that ready by Sunday or Monday? ;o

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Thanks! But I am worried that I min-maxed the skills a bit, because I went heavy with pathfinder. I figured for a mouse who was fascinated by maps and such, it would make sense that he would want to be good at finding paths and trails, and map 'em out. But I might have over done it.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It looks fine at a glance. You can go up to six, which I don't think you've hit. Also, you are rollin [N]d6 trying to get 4's or better, with various numbers of successes needed (either opposed tests or "Obstacle 2 / 3 / etc"), so 4+ is a good area to land in for something you want to be good at.

e~ You've got a 5 I think.

OO! I forgot: what is your weapon? I'll add that to the sheet soon..... here are your options, you can pick one:

shield
    knife
    sword
    axe
    staff
    hook and line
    spear
    halberd
    sling
    bow

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ooo, can a shield be used offensively? If so, I think that might be an interesting weapon. Especially for a mouse who is more or less afraid to fight.

Or if that doesn't work, a basic sword would be a good weapon. Is it possible to get weapons later on? Because I'm thinking the Guard would give out swords (makes sense to me), but Noah would probably prefer a distanced weapon.

Shield, and if that doesn't work, Sword.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, it's better at defense but can be used for offense as well.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Then I'll take a shield. Later on, can it be used with a main weapon? Like a sword and shield combo? I know, it's a stupid question, but I want to make sure.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It is your weapon :) You can bludgeon or slice with the tip.

Each weapon gives a bonus with a different Action, like Attack Defend Maneuver or Feint. Shield gives two extra dice when you DEFEND, but you can do any action with it.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey Fading- I'll go through the thing now. Sorry for my slowness!

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It's cool we have some time :) Like I said, I probably won't get into them until sunday or monday.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sent a character concept in. Let me know what you think, Fading! :)

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm really anxious to get this thing going. We do know if the other two still want to play this, right?

Edit: Oh, and how are we going to explain the two of us replacing the other mice? Just act as if we were in the group to begin with, or something else?

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm still interested.

And I would vote for either a short reset. or maybe just pretend like they had always been there.

Heck, I don't think the two who left were referred to by name except once or twice.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sorry to seem impatient, but I'm just hoping we can start this soon, and bumping the thread as well.

I was also wondering if I could go ahead and post in the IC thread, even though I don't have an official character yet.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    As the other vet here, I'm still very much interested.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    We will likely get rolling tomorrow:rotate:

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Awesome!

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yay! :D

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm going to be gone most of tomorrow, so if we do start then *crosses fingers* I won't be very quick to respond.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sorry guys, something came up yesterday :o

PMs are out to the new mice, check em out. Make final adjustments to your characters and then post them here so I can link to them and such. Good examples abound in this thread and others.

Noah will need a Mentor.

We're going to pretend like the current patrol was always the plan. Ignore existing posts by salt or naming mice who have moved on. Zerinan - feel free to make that post. Anyone who has not, either make a first post for what you do the day before you leave, or just call out a skill in OOC and make a check for it. I don't want this to be a stumbling block, it's really not a big deal.

FINALLY:

You all know what your first mission is, at least the first leg of it. You each need a goal. This works sort of like Instinct and Belief, but it is temporary and topical.
    MG p.30 wrote:
    Each character has a Goal—a task, mission or vow that he is trying to complete.

I will discover why Conrad’s communications from Calogero have stopped.

That’s Sadie’s Goal for her first mission. A Goal can be accomplished in one session of play. This means that most Goals change every session. You write a new Goal for the session based on the mission handed down from the GM for this session and based on the developments in the previous session.

MG p.45 wrote:
    A Goal includes a statement about your character, an action, and a target. Really good goals include a condition on top of those.

Kenzie: I must find evidence that will determine if the grain peddler is a traitor or not.
    Saxon: I will protect Kenzie and Lieam on this patrol.
    Lieam: I will show Kenzie and Saxon that I am a valuable member of the patrol.
    Sadie: I will discover why Conrad's communications from Calogero have stopped.

A Goal includes one of the following imperatives: I will, I will not, I must, I must not.

A Goal includes an action like these: find, stop, return, rebuild, demonstrate, protect, feed.

These are example targets: the grain peddler, the patrol, Saxon and Kenzie, Conrad’s report.

These are conditions which will help you accomplish your Goal: quickly, why they have stopped.

A Goal is not an immediate or simple action. “I’m going to make a pie!” is not an appropriate Goal
    for this game. Neither is a Goal a far off wish, “I will bring peace to the Territories!” nor “I will prove that I am worthy of promotion.”

As the GM I'm going to break the rules and say I will eat ten cakes in Shaleburrow.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

PMs are out to the new mice, check em out.

Who's got a PM? I want a PM! Gimme a PM!

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    YOURS HAD TOO MANY RED MARKS

SEE ME AFTER CLASS
    :winky:

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sorry guys, something came up yesterday :o

PMs are out to the new mice, check em out. Make final adjustments to your characters and then post them here so I can link to them and such. Good examples abound in this thread and others.

Noah will need a Mentor.

We're going to pretend like the current patrol was always the plan. Ignore existing posts by salt or naming mice who have moved on. Zerinan - feel free to make that post. Anyone who has not, either make a first post for what you do the day before you leave, or just call out a skill in OOC and make a check for it. I don't want this to be a stumbling block, it's really not a big deal.

FINALLY:

You all know what your first mission is, at least the first leg of it. You each need a goal. This works sort of like Instinct and Belief, but it is temporary and topical.
    MG p.30 wrote:
    Each character has a Goal—a task, mission or vow that he is trying to complete.

I will discover why Conrad’s communications from Calogero have stopped.

That’s Sadie’s Goal for her first mission. A Goal can be accomplished in one session of play. This means that most Goals change every session. You write a new Goal for the session based on the mission handed down from the GM for this session and based on the developments in the previous session.

MG p.45 wrote:
    A Goal includes a statement about your character, an action, and a target. Really good goals include a condition on top of those.

Kenzie: I must find evidence that will determine if the grain peddler is a traitor or not.
    Saxon: I will protect Kenzie and Lieam on this patrol.
    Lieam: I will show Kenzie and Saxon that I am a valuable member of the patrol.
    Sadie: I will discover why Conrad's communications from Calogero have stopped.

A Goal includes one of the following imperatives: I will, I will not, I must, I must not.

A Goal includes an action like these: find, stop, return, rebuild, demonstrate, protect, feed.

These are example targets: the grain peddler, the patrol, Saxon and Kenzie, Conrad’s report.

These are conditions which will help you accomplish your Goal: quickly, why they have stopped.

A Goal is not an immediate or simple action. “I’m going to make a pie!” is not an appropriate Goal
    for this game. Neither is a Goal a far off wish, “I will bring peace to the Territories!” nor “I will prove that I am worthy of promotion.”

As the GM I'm going to break the rules and say I will eat ten cakes in Shaleburrow.

BotP'd OOoooOOOoo

You should have your PM now too El Skid.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Noah
    Noah2-3.jpg
    Home: Elmoss
    Fur: Light Brown
    Cloak: None

Parents: Nolan and Susan (Miller and Weaver)
    Senior: Robert (Cartographer)
    Mentor: Elwood
    Enemy: Russel (Guard Mouse, Unknown location)
    Friend: Maggie (Baker, Elmoss) - (Eventually join the guard?)
    Daniel (Carpenter, Elmoss)

Nature: 5
    Will: 2
    Health: 5

Resources: 2
    Circles: 1

Belief: "I would do anything to protect a friend from harm."
    Instinct: "Run away to live and fight another day."

Skills:
    Cartographer (xxx) 4
    Miller (x) 2
    Persuader (x)2
    Pathfinder (xxxx) 5
    Scout (xx) 3

Traits:
    Young x
    Fearful x

Wises:
    Elmoss-wise x

Gear: Shield and not much else

Probably could write up an history, but in the mean time, here's some copy and paste from my other post.

1.) A mouse who is timid, and doesn't really rush into battle. He's honored to be a part of the guard and everything, but he's quite fearful of what he might have to face. Despite that timid, fearful nature, he wants to be brave and serve his nation. He just might cower in fear before getting the nerve up to fight.

2.) My name is Noah. Um, before joining the Guard, I was an apprentice to a cartographer. Been interested in maps and the far off places they revealed practically my whole life. My ma's name is Susan and my dad is Nolan. My ma is a weaver, and my dad is a miller. Oh yea, and my fur is a really light brown color.

Well, I've been friends with Daniel and Maggie ever since we were young mice. We grew up together. It's like we're siblings. They both still live in Elmoss. I usually try to write them often, but I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with it as much now that I'm a part of the Guard.
    Daniel is on his way to become a great carpenter someday and Maggie is an apprentice Baker, but I don't think she'll stick with it long. We all know that she's destined to join the Guard. She was always the most adventurous of the three.

As for enemies, I can't really... wait, I know! Russel! I haven't seen or heard of him in a long time. Typical young mouse bully, but he really seemed to have it out for me. The whole fuss started because he liked Maggie, and he thought I was trying to "move in on his girl." Long story short, I think he went to Lockhaven. Don't know if he joined the Guard or not, though.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Rafferty
    Home: Elmoss
    Fur: Deep Red
    Cloak: Forest Green (dammit Zerinan, I called it first :P)

Appearance: A few scars in obvious places; missing half of an ear and most of his tail.

Nature:3
    Will: 3
    Health: 5

Resources: 4
    Circles: 3

Belief: Mice should use the skills they possess for the greater good of all mice.
    Instinct: Step into the way of danger if it could help others.

Goal: See the rest of the patrol safely through their mission

Skills:
    Cook 2
    Fighter 3
    Harvester 3
    Hunter 6
    Orator 2
    Scout 2
    Weather Watcher 2

Traits: Alert, Fearless
    Wises: Snakes, Winter

Friend: Eric, Guard higher-up, unknown.
    Enemy: Jebediah, Wealthy merchant, Copperwood.

Gear: Spear, Flint, Tinder, Torch, Water skin

Born in Elmoss, his parents were harvesters. Starting at the age of 8, Rafferty started going out harvesting with his parents - He was eager to help out and easily bored by the games of children. On his fourth trip out, however, the group of harvesters was attacked by a feral cat, who had found its way through the scent wall. It ate two of the harvesters and clawed aside a couple more before any resistance was organized, and by the time it was swarmed and forced to retreat, it had claimed the lives of 5 mice, including Rafferty's mother Elsbeth.

That day would shape the rest of his life, as he vowed that no animal would ever hurt anyone else so long as he was still breathing. He took to exploring the wilderness and speaking with Hunters whenever he could, and as soon as he was old enough demanded to join the Mouse Guard. Ever since, he has made a name for himself as a brave (if somewhat reckless with his own life) guardsman who has gone out of his way to take on the most dangerous assignments in the most remote territories, The fact that he is still alive is a testament to the fact that he is a quick learner and an excellent tactician, especially when it comes to predators of all sorts.

When dealing with other mice, however, he tends to be a bit awkward, often coming across as gruff or unfriendly. He also lacks a certain amount of... finesse when it comes to social interaction, tending to blurt out the truth at inopportune moments. For all that, though, he is a skilled guardman, a loyal friend, and a fearless fighter - Just the kind of mouse you want with you when the cheese hits the fan.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    El Skid wrote: »
    Cloak: Forest Green (dammit Zerinan, I called it first :P)

Well, technically, yes. And it's possible I subconsciously stole your cloak color. But can't we both have Forest Green cloaks?

Oh, and I'm still looking for a mentor. Anyone want to teach a Tenderpaw how to be a real Guard Mouse?

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, technically Tenderpaws don't have a cloak. They are given one at the end of their mentorship and the color is chosen by their mentor to represent something or remind the new guardmouse of something.

For example, Bertrand's sky blue cloak was chosen by his Uncle to remind him to keep his head out of the clouds every now and again. Just one example of his Uncle's unique sense of humor.

However, your possession or lack of a cloak is between you, Pope, and Fading.

I'm just pitching in my two cents and piping up so you guys don't forget I'm here. :P

And my Goal for the mission: Lead the patrol to Shaleburrow safely and in a timely manner.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'd say either myself or Raff would be a prime choice as a mentor, Zer.

My goal: I will make sure that the tenderpaw survives in one piece, or at least, mostly one piece.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Then you're officially my mentor, Pope.

And my goal: I will prove myself to be a useful Guard Mouse in my first mission.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I think you might have it backwards there Zerinan.

Pope's character, Elwood, is the oldfur (50 years of age).

Rafferty is El Skid's character and is 25 years old.

My mouse, Bertrand, is 35 going on his 36th winter.

Of course to a 14 year old Tenderpaw, anybody might be considered an 'oldfur' :P
    Just trying to help you here, if you were trying to go for that, then just ignore me.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Of course to a 14 year old Tenderpaw, anybody might be considered an 'oldfur' :P
    Just trying to help you here, if you were trying to go for that, then just ignore me.

That's actually exactly what I'm going for. I was going to put a note in my IC comment, but I figured I'd best leave the OOC to this thread.
    Considering that even the youngest of you three is nearly twice Noah's age, you are all oldfurs. :P

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png