As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo DSi: Apr 5, $170 US, Black & Blue, DSi retail games, Rhythm Heaven also Apr5

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I use a Voyager case from Walmart, which is one of those play-though cases. It can only store the system, a spare stylus, and two games (three if you include the one in the DSi), and the sides of it are kinda exposed, but I like it since you don't have to find a place to put the case while playing a game. It also has a nice leathery feel to it.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    NovembersChopinNovembersChopin Las VegasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I picked up a DSi yesterday for my wife along with Cake Mania and some Candy Shop game. (my wife loves these kind of games) :lol:

Anyone know a good site to order a screen protector from? I'm looking into a clear case also, this flat black is a dust magnet.

NovembersChopin on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've finally caved and decided to go get a DSi. What games and accessories should i get? SDHC card? Polycarb case or silicon sleeve? Flip protector? Tell me!

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    thunderclumpthunderclump Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nintendo of Europe can once more eat a dick.

No new DSiWare since launch.

thunderclump on
    421629-1.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Heatwave wrote: »
    I've finally caved and decided to go get a DSi. What games and accessories should i get? SDHC card? Polycarb case or silicon sleeve? Flip protector? Tell me!

Never had a DS before? Then you have a ton of games to catch up on. If this is just an update to an existing DS collection then one great recent game is Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars. Aquia is a fun DSiware game but don't get anything else yet. I recommend any SDHC card, get 4-16 gigs for like $30.

This is the best DS screen protector in the world (Hori). Pretty easy to apply, almost unnoticeable when finished if you get all the dust out.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've seen Hori protectors at Target before, but can't say I've checked recently. Thought it was awesome that they actually had Hori ones vs. the really bad Pelican ones or something.

I've been using the bestskinsever protectors on my DSL screens and they've been awesome too. Same price as the Hori probably after shipping ($6 + $2.50), but probably a little harder to apply but easier to ensure that you get the dust out before it's permanently stuck to the protector.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Hori screen protectors are also available on Amazon and will ship a hell of a lot faster, that's for sure! I waited ages for mine to come from Play-Asia; I only went from there because I had an order ready to go anyway.

I was able to score a 4GB SDHC card from Best Buy for under $20 the week of launch; I glanced at the website and there's a PNY card for $20 right now. I had SanDisk, which is my default for any kind of memory card purchase, but I think the PNY cards are good too.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Picross lives! Or at least a well-done knock-off of Picross! On the JP DSiWare store, Hudson's "Illustlogic" is only 500 points and released this week. If/when this comes to the US Store, I'll definitely grab it—I still haven't finished my DS cart of Picross and having it on the DSi at a moment's notice sounds like heaven.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    The Hori screen protectors are also available on Amazon and will ship a hell of a lot faster, that's for sure! I waited ages for mine to come from Play-Asia; I only went from there because I had an order ready to go anyway.

I was able to score a 4GB SDHC card from Best Buy for under $20 the week of launch; I glanced at the website and there's a PNY card for $20 right now. I had SanDisk, which is my default for any kind of memory card purchase, but I think the PNY cards are good too.
    I ordered a 16GB SDHC from Newegg. It's a Kingston and was $32 including shipping.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If I don't plan on having tons of pictures or putting music on my dsi having a SD card is worthless pretty much right? or did I miss something.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You can use it to store your DSi games too. But yeah until there are more DSi games its kinda pointless.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    If I don't plan on having tons of pictures or putting music on my dsi having a SD card is worthless pretty much right? or did I miss something.
    You can already copy software from the DSi to the SD card for making more room. Hopefully Nintendo has been dazzled at the response to the Wii being able to read games from the SD card and we'll soon get that on the DSi too.

Additionally it is possible for DSi-enhanced games to use SD card storage for whatever. Custom maps/levels, custom music while playing, etc. We know this because the latest DSi game Mixed Messages will archive playthroughs to the SD card. Of course nothing else has been announced yet and it may be a while.

So if you plan on buying a lot of DSi software and/or saving extra data, an SD card is going to be worth it in the future. I recommend one anyway simply because they're so cheap that it's kind of a waste not to have something in that slot.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Rhythm Heaven!!! awesome little game, picked it up in August in Japan, just never knew what it was called until now.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Never had a DS before? Then you have a ton of games to catch up on. If this is just an update to an existing DS collection then one great recent game is Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars. Aquia is a fun DSiware game but don't get anything else yet. I recommend any SDHC card, get 4-16 gigs for like $30.

This is the best DS screen protector in the world (Hori). Pretty easy to apply, almost unnoticeable when finished if you get all the dust out.
    First DS ever. No games at all. I've been putting off getting one for years. What exactly is the difference in quality in the screen protectors? Some stores I've seen come with them for free (as well as earphones, case stylus).

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Can you guys clarify something for me: The DSi cameras. Are they both 640x480 resolution? Or is one higher than the other?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

First DS ever. No games at all. I've been putting off getting one for years. What exactly is the difference in quality in the screen protectors? Some stores I've seen come with them for free (as well as earphones, case stylus).

It all depends on the quality of the materials that make it. The cheapo ones you are talking about probably are made of some really stiff plastic or very soft plastic, both of which will show scratches and or mess up the smooth glide of the stylus. With heavy use (Elite Beat Agents or other stylus heavy game), the cheapo ones may need to be replaced within 3 months. At least, that was my experience when I applied the GameStop ones I got with the little aluminum case that my sister-in-law got me.

The high quality ones, like Hori, are made from some really nice durable stuff that is crystal clear and doesn't scratch up as easily so essentially you apply it once, and you probably will never have to replace it again.

Then you have bestskinsever, which is made from the material they make to protect propeller/helicopter blades. It's essentially overkill, but they're reasonably priced and I've been using them for over 6 months and I love it.

So it's up to you. You can possibly find Hori brand ones in stores (I saw them in Target once) or you can order them online. But I definitely do not recommend the cheap ones.

You could always go without a protector, but I never trust it. Despite my own carefulness, I know I will not always be the only person playing my DS and I've seen what the ones in WalMart look like and the old Palm Pilots after a few years use and I don't want that to happen, so I put a protector on it.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Can you guys clarify something for me: The DSi cameras. Are they both 640x480 resolution? Or is one higher than the other?
    Same. There was some miscommunication at some point and a lot of sources were saying one was higher but that is untrue.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

ArcSyn answered the quality question pretty well, I just wanted to congratulate you on getting one of the best game systems ever. :) Since you've been meaning to buy one, do you have a backlog of games you've been interested in all along?

I always forget the link but we have a DS recommendation wiki that lists the games that most people on the boards have been impressed with.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Got my DSi (black)! Yay! Also New Super Mario Bros and Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney! Yay! And a starter kit. Semi-yay. And screwed up putting the screen protectors. Nay! And I bought another set of protectors, ripped them free of the card and discovered they're for the ds lite....
    FUCK!

I think screen protectors are my kryptonite because whenever I try putting them on something always goes wrong (e.g my samsung p2's paint pealing off). Oh well, it looks alright when turned on.

I also tried looking for Pheonix Wright: Ace Attorney and Elite Beat Agents. No success. One retailer said they were quitstock. I'm going to keep looking though because that same retailer said they were like $20AU.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Got my DSi (black)! Yay! Also New Super Mario Bros and Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney! Yay! And a starter kit. Semi-yay. And screwed up putting the screen protectors. Nay! And I bought another set of protectors, ripped them free of the card and discovered they're for the ds lite....
    FUCK!

I think screen protectors are my kryptonite because whenever I try putting them on something always goes wrong (e.g my samsung p2's paint pealing off). Oh well, it looks alright when turned on.

I also tried looking for Pheonix Wright: Ace Attorney and Elite Beat Agents. No success. One retailer said they were quitstock. I'm going to keep looking though because that same retailer said they were like $20AU.

Tell me about it. I bought screen protectors for my PSP from BestSkinsEver or whatever the site is, you know, the one where they show a video of someone taking keys to an iPod screen.

What a waste of $15 that was. I put the protector down, but it was crooked, so I tried to adjust it, but in that nanosecond it had already bonded with the screen, and when I tried to pull it up to move, it stretched, and no longer fit the screen properly.

Well now there's some third-party protector on said PSP, and there's a giant air bubble column on the left, and there's some dust underneath, but hey, the screen is protected from scratches, so that's all that matters.

Except for those few that are already under the protector. lol

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, the main reason I ordered Hori was because I hadn't seen DSi-specific protectors anywhere else. I had been told previously that they weren't sticky, that they stayed on through static cling or something, but I'm not sure if that's true - they seem sticky, but also removable. They are apparently designed to be readjusted if need be, the packaging shows that you can take them off with tape (no fingernails!). Also they do not take up the whole screen, leaving a millimeter or two on each side, so it's not as critical to position them perfectly.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Ace JonAce Jon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I personally don't use screen protectors and I've never had a problem (bought a DS on day one, Lite on day one, and DSi on day one). I use lots of touch-heavy apps like Colors! (homebrew) and EBA and the like.

As long as you're not like the 6 year olds at Toys R Us beating the crap out of the screen like it's an enemy, you should be fine...

Ace Jon on
    Yours truly, Ace Jon.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    ..the screen is protected from scratches, so that's all that matters.

Except for those few that are already under the protector. lol
    OJECTION! ... :p

BTW I didn't know you could use tape. damn

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Tell me about it. I bought screen protectors for my PSP from BestSkinsEver or whatever the site is, you know, the one where they show a video of someone taking keys to an iPod screen.

What a waste of $15 that was. I put the protector down, but it was crooked, so I tried to adjust it, but in that nanosecond it had already bonded with the screen, and when I tried to pull it up to move, it stretched, and no longer fit the screen properly.

Must have been Invisible shield, they do that video. Bestskinsever is the same material though. I did the same thing you did but with my iPod. Fortunately I realized it had started to stretch before it got too bad and was able to rescue it. With my DS and Zune I used a little stronger soap to water solution that allowed me a good 2 minutes or so to play with the positioning before it started to bond. Much better results that time. I would literally submerge the protector in the solution and then let it drip off for a few seconds to make sure it wouldn't instant-bond.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is Nintendo going to start phasing out the DS Lite?

The lack of a GBA port really destroys my world and I need to know if I should get one now if they will soon be a thing of the past.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Lord Jezo wrote: »

The lack of a GBA port really destroys my world and I need to know if I should get one now if they will soon be a thing of the past.

It's hard to say, but I think it's inevitable. Whether it's next year or the year after, no one knows.

But don't fret—this is the perfect opportunity to explore other options!

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

It will be pretty obvious when they start disappearing, I think you will know. There'll be threads about fire sales and whatnot.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Must have been Invisible shield, they do that video. Bestskinsever is the same material though. I did the same thing you did but with my iPod. Fortunately I realized it had started to stretch before it got too bad and was able to rescue it. With my DS and Zune I used a little stronger soap to water solution that allowed me a good 2 minutes or so to play with the positioning before it started to bond. Much better results that time. I would literally submerge the protector in the solution and then let it drip off for a few seconds to make sure it wouldn't instant-bond.

It was Invisible Shield, yeah. Either the little spray bottle I got was either was half-full or had a fucked up sprayer because apparently enough liquid didn't get on the screen.

I was gonna try the soap/water solution but by that time they were pretty much already fucked.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Lunker wrote: »

It's hard to say, but I think it's inevitable. Whether it's next year or the year after, no one knows.

But don't fret—this is the perfect opportunity to explore other options!

My recommendation is to buy a DS Lite and stash it away somewhere. If your current DS/DS Lite fails and you have no backup, you'll have one waiting backstage.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Haha this is awesome.

http://www.dsicade.com

Do not go to that in your computers browser, do it through the dsi browser.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have first on Touch Mii with 104 points at that site.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was sitting at like 120, but hit the back button because I wasn't paying attention :P

Sent a tip over to joystiq and tiny cartridge. Hopefully get some more support/traffic for the guy.

This was the site I found the link at - http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/dsiware/dsi_website_need_beta_testers

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I used the Opera browser today for game help and it works very well in this respect. I'm playing Dragon Quest Monsters Joker, save the game, and less than a minute later I'm on a GFAQs guide looking up how to synth certain monsters. You can just favorite whatever guide you need for the game you're working on, it's fantastic.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If you buy a DSi now at GameStop they will throw in China Town Wars for 20 bucks off. I'm going to grab my receipt and see if they will honor it.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I`m posting from my dsi right now. Web browsing this way is a horrible experience. Especially typing. At least I can look at porn inconspicuously. :P

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If you buy a DSi now at GameStop they will throw in China Town Wars for 20 bucks off. I'm going to grab my receipt and see if they will honor it.

Man, what? I don't think I even have my receipt anymore.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Man, what? I don't think I even have my receipt anymore.

That's your own fault, I keep all my receipts in the box that I get the game or system in.

Anyway I tried it and they were more than happy to do it for me.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Interesting, I'll have to try that too as I got it at launch.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hooray, Dr. Mario Express is released today, alongside even more crappy Master of Illusion.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The new DSiWare games are up, I just downloaded Dr. Mario Express. I hadn't gotten around to the WiiWare version, and this one doesn't have multiplayer in any capacity, but the portable nature should work more for me. Will update with impressions in a bit!

Though everyone should seriously go buy Aquia if you haven't already.

Lunker on