As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New comic 2/18

• MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    darleysam wrote: »
    Meiz wrote: »
    So saying "All black African's are naturally violent, monstrous people" isn't racist? Because I don't use that as an excuse to rule over them and I don't hate them as a result of it? It is just a prejudice.

They're not saying that at all though.

They're portraying un-infected (so we can assume normal) Africans as brutal savages who beat people in sacks and drag women around by their hair. When this is a nation with a long and documented history of being portrayed as brutal savages (you know, racistly), it can lead to some concerns that this might be giving the wrong message.

edit: so this is a semantics argument? Brilliant.

How is having militants doing militant things in an area that's known to have military dictatorships somehow speaking for the entire entity which is Africa?

Just because Capcom decided against having the story occur in some area where people are taking it easy and drinking juice on a patio doesn't mean that they're racists.

Like what, you want to go on a safari and take pictures of Zebras in order to put your mind at ease?

See, this is why this entire argument is all kinds of dumb. The only reason it's in question is because there are black people and in your line of thinking you always have to feel sorry for them, even though the setting has factual merrit.

Funny, you'll not find a word of me complaining about Far Cry 2's portrayal of Africa. Guess why?! Because it doesn't drag up a bunch of stereotypes about how Africa's all full of bloodthirsty savages armed with grass-skirts and spears.

Of course, that makes a lot of sense. Lets have the tribals talk to you, shake your hand and weave a basket.

This is RE5. They're going to be infected and hostile ya ijit.

Meiz on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Am I the only one that remembers these?

Nope

squirrel1.jpg

edit: MEIZ, YOU BLITHERING MORON, THIS IS UNINFECTED AFRICANS BEING BRUTAL SAVAGES.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited February 2009
    Look stupid. The tribals in this game that you want to cuddle and make nice with are infected.

That's why they're after you.

Holy shit you're dumb.

Meiz on
  • KrentzKrentz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey guys I'm sure there are some greedy Jews somewhere in the world so if I make a video game about only those greedy Jews trying to take everyone's money it's not racist because it's based on the ones that actually exist right?

Krentz on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    Look stupid. The tribals in this game that you want to cuddle and make nice with are infected.

Holy shit you're dumb.

And you're illiterate. Here, I'll quote it again for you and bold the important part.
    One of the first things you see in the game, seconds after taking control of Chris Redfield, is a gang of African men brutally beating something in a sack. Animal or human, it's never revealed, but these are not infected Majini. There are no red bloodshot eyes. These are ordinary Africans, who stop and stare at you menacingly as you approach. Since the Majini are not undead corpses, and are capable of driving vehicles, handling weapons and even using guns, it makes the line between the infected monsters and African civilians uncomfortably vague. Where Africans are concerned, the game seems to be suggesting, bloodthirsty savagery just comes with the territory.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thread is seriously outclassing the comic for hilarity here.

Furu on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Maybe the real monster is ....Meiz!

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited February 2009
    I think I'm gonna make this my final post on the issue because damnit, I have work to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYFQZFL0yoo

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited February 2009

Holy shit you're dumb.

And you're illiterate. Here, I'll quote it again for you and bold the important part.
    One of the first things you see in the game, seconds after taking control of Chris Redfield, is a gang of African men brutally beating something in a sack. Animal or human, it's never revealed, but these are not infected Majini. There are no red bloodshot eyes. These are ordinary Africans, who stop and stare at you menacingly as you approach. Since the Majini are not undead corpses, and are capable of driving vehicles, handling weapons and even using guns, it makes the line between the infected monsters and African civilians uncomfortably vague. Where Africans are concerned, the game seems to be suggesting, bloodthirsty savagery just comes with the territory.

Yeah, I'm illiterate, yet that whole paragraph doesn't mention the tribals in the caves at all.

Meiz on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Krentz wrote: »
    Hey guys I'm sure there are some greedy Jews somewhere in the world so if I make a video game about only those greedy Jews trying to take everyone's money it's not racist because it's based on the ones that actually exist right?

The Elder Scrolls: Protocols of Zion

JoeUser on
  • KrentzKrentz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Meiz has trouble grasping the concept that two (or more) separate examples can support a single conclusion, apparently.

Krentz on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    Who the fuck wrote that article of dumb that you keep posting anyways?

I don't think he/she knows what the hell goes on in the Resident Evil universe.

Meiz on
    edited February 2009
    Let me boil this down for you guys

you're illiterate.

I'm illiterate

Furu on
    edited February 2009
    Who the fuck wrote that article of dumb that you keep posting anyways?

I don't think he/she knows what the hell goes on in the Resident Evil universe.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/resident-evil-5-hands-on-chapter1to3?page=3

Okay this is the last post I'm making.

Yeah, he's just some hack on a blog, probably no idea what Resident Evil's about.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Well he comes from Europe, what would he know about zombie outbreaks in Africa?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i don't think anybody sensible would say this game is literally racist, but it has a lot of imagery that was traditionally racist, all the black brutes and stuff

i suppose if you're making a zombie game you can't get away from the fact that zombies are going to rip people apart and eat them with their bare hands, it's just a bit unfortunate the ethnicity of many of the zombies co-incides with an ethnicity previously portrayed kind of like that

Nuzak on
    edited February 2009
    I'm just confused why people are expecting a game developed in Japan to be racially sensitive.

Furu on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm surprised there's not a rule against Meiz being a fucking retard in the new comic thread

good comic though

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    In this space, we sometimes describe my party role: social tank. A week away from our regenerative pods here in Seattle offered many opportunities for interpersonal anguish, or even inconvenience, which for Gabriel is roughly synonymous. On at least one occasion, he leveraged a clearly preternatural ability to escape detection by disappearing completely - leaving a log in his place. Does he decide what is left behind, or is the log is an inextricable result of the process? I will see if he can leave a cheese plate instead.

If anyone went to New York comicon, this paragraph involves me, in that I asked if the NKOTB comic was based on real events, and Tycho and Gabe said yes, which was followed by Gabe mumbling about dissappearing, as Hatori Hanzo would.

I feel like a maiden having lost her blossom

Ethan Smith on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    this is coming from the nation that brought us mr. popo. I think the fact that they're not all thick lipped buck toothed mimes is a god dammed miracle

Langly on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Nuzak wrote: »
    i don't think anybody sensible would say this game is literally racist, but it has a lot of imagery that was traditionally racist, all the black brutes and stuff

i suppose if you're making a zombie game you can't get away from the fact that zombies are going to rip people apart and eat them with their bare hands, it's just a bit unfortunate the ethnicity of many of the zombies co-incides with an ethnicity previously portrayed kind of like that

Maybe this is the first step to taking it back.

Porch Monkey 4 Life etc.

KalTorak on
    edited February 2009
    Dan Whitehead is a moron.

If you read anything about RE5, you'd realize that it's a hybrid of the same shit that went down in RE4.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/resident_evil/go/thread/view/7391/4990379/Resident_Evil_5_FAQ__Media

But there's black people now, so let's all take a shit.

Buffons, the lot of you.

Meiz on
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Holy shit you're dumb.

Yeah, I'm illiterate, yet that whole paragraph doesn't mention the tribals in the caves at all.

"Tribals" isn't even a word, so yeah, you are illiterate.

EDIT: Nope, I take that back, it is a word, just not one Firefox recognises. My (illiterate) bad.

Why did the game developers choose to have the Majini drag off a white woman? Why is the first impression you get of the Majini of them being violent and bloodthirsty of their own accord? What are they trying to tell us by showing us these things? There is a strong case to be made that there is a racist subtext at play here.

Butler on
  • SyphonBrueSyphonBrue Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pretty soon we're only gonna be allowed to kill white guys in california

everything else will be deemed too insensitive

SyphonBrue on
    edited February 2009
    Butler wrote: »

Holy shit you're dumb.

Why did the game developers choose to have the Majini drag off a white woman? Why is the first impression you get of the Majini of them being violent and bloodthirsty of their own accord? What are they trying to tell us by showing us these things? There is a strong case to be made that there is a racist subtext at play here.

So the Japanese developers are secretly racist against black people and show that by having them drag off a white woman

No I think they just don't know/care that there are any implications at all. This is Japan we're talking about, where the national exposure to black people is pretty much limited to imported Hollywood films and Bob Sapp.

Furu on
    edited February 2009
    Koshian wrote: »
    Buffons, the lot of you.

heh

this is pretty much priceless

if kovak hadn't given me such a good sig line i would take this one

Langly on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Furu wrote: »
    I'm just confused why people are expecting a game developed in Japan to be racially sensitive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4QB7cHdVfs

Grey Ghost on
    edited February 2009

Holy shit you're dumb.

EDIT: Nope, I take that back, it is a word, just not one Firefox recognises. My (illiterate) bad.

or

OR

it could just be some people dragging off some person

but that's never happened before in a video game before nuh uh no sir

SyphonBrue on
    edited February 2009
    Now if the zombies were Korean...

Furu on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    SyphonBrue wrote: »
    Pretty soon we're only gonna be allowed to kill white guys in california

everything else will be deemed too insensitive

I would be down with this.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited February 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Woooooow

Okay this is starting to make sense.

Butler on
    edited February 2009
    Look

I'm jewish and if a game took place in Israel and i had to kill a bunch of jews i wouldnt be screaming "ANTI SEMITISM OMIGOD HURGLRHUGRHGUL"

because, you see, it takes place in israel and lots of jewish people live there

SyphonBrue on
    edited February 2009
    i will say that Africa is a horribly violent and terrible place. I took a Human Geography class and at one point went over the best places to live (considering birth/death ratios, gdp, and general quality of life) and the worst. Each one had a list of 20 countries.

Guess where the 20 worst places to live were? In the whole world, the worst place to live is basically every country in Africa besides Egypt and South Africa.

I'm not getting into the reasons why, obviously it's not because lol black people. But portraying a village or a group as originally (i mean before the infection) violent doesn't seem racist, but kind of a sad and horrible fact of the area.

Now having people throw spears in grass skirts is pretty ridiculous and terrible.

Langly on
    edited February 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

"And I think to mysellrrrrrffff"

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited February 2009

Because in every single RE game, you've been in a hostile environment. Now you're in Africa and in Africa, you have areas that are controlled by millitants. Oh sure, you could go anywhere else but would it fit the general "HOLY SHIT" feeling you get from playing these games? Fuck no.

It just makes for an interesting setting. That's all.

The problem is that when someone sees a black person, they immediately think that this individual is the ambassador for all black people and therefore any actions that are depicted as negative are undeniably an attack against the entire race.

Which is just dumb.

Meiz on
    edited February 2009
    Look

I'm jewish and if a game took place in Israel and i had to kill a bunch of jews i wouldnt be screaming "ANTI SEMITISM OMIGOD HURGLRHUGRHGUL"

But - and this is just hypothetical - if you had to stop those jews from doing 9/11...

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited February 2009
    Langly wrote: »
    i will say that Africa is a horribly violent and terrible place. I took a Human Geography class and at one point went over the best places to live (considering birth/death ratios, gdp, and general quality of life) and the worst. Each one had a list of 20 countries.

Guess where the 20 worst places to live were? In the whole world, the worst place to live is basically every country in Africa besides Egypt and South Africa.

I'm not getting into the reasons why, obviously it's not because lol black people. But portraying a village or a group as originally (i mean before the infection) violent doesn't seem racist, but kind of a sad and horrible fact of the area.

Now having people throw spears in grass skirts is pretty ridiculous and terrible.

hmmm

you know I think on second thought I will reserve judgment on this until I see the scenes in question for myself

Butler on
    edited February 2009
    Langly wrote: »

hmmm

you know I think on second thought I will reserve judgment on this until I see the scenes in question for myself

Reserve judgment? We're fucking talking about video games on the internet! You judge right now preferably just like everyone else is!

Furu on
    edited February 2009
    Look

But - and this is just hypothetical - if you had to stop those jews from doing 9/11...

Why would I do that? We carried out our plan flawlessly

i mean

oh shi-

SyphonBrue on
    edited February 2009
    Aren't there still tribes in Africa though? I mean, last I checked, the discovery channel hasn't run out of material that introduces one to their culture and way of life.

There's still aborigines in Australia.

If they had an RE there and someone was taking a bite out of a kangaroo tail, I wouldn't be all up in arms.

Meiz on
This discussion has been closed.