Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

New comic 2/18

17810121318

Posts

  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I feel I should really point out that everything Japan has learned about black people has been from the last fifty years of American pop culture.

    So there's that.

    saiyan2.jpg
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sicarii wrote: »
    I can't seem to find the full blog of that crazy lady who was ranting how racist RE5 was. She was a barrel full of crazy; it was a delightful read.

    Remember the hideous fatbeast bitch that complained about Fat Princess? That was funny, too. Hey fatty, if you don't like it, why don't you do some light exercise a couple times a week and fucking control what you eat? Stupid fatbody.

    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    People always forget about asians when they talk about racism.

    How about the fact that there aren't any movies targeting the widespread asian demographic? Or latino?

    I say that the movement to put 'blackness' on a pedestal is causing the movie shit you are talking about. People make a 'black movie' because they have an audience for it like they have an 'action movie' audience like they make a 'hanna montana' movie because they have an audience for fucking hanna montana.

    Steam name: munkus_beaver
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Defender wrote: »
    Sicarii wrote: »
    I can't seem to find the full blog of that crazy lady who was ranting how racist RE5 was. She was a barrel full of crazy; it was a delightful read.

    Remember the hideous fatbeast bitch that complained about Fat Princess? That was funny, too. Hey fatty, if you don't like it, why don't you do some light exercise a couple times a week and fucking control what you eat? Stupid fatbody.

    Hey man, they can't help being fat!

  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Defender wrote: »
    Sicarii wrote: »
    I can't seem to find the full blog of that crazy lady who was ranting how racist RE5 was. She was a barrel full of crazy; it was a delightful read.

    Remember the hideous fatbeast bitch that complained about Fat Princess? That was funny, too. Hey fatty, if you don't like it, why don't you do some light exercise a couple times a week and fucking control what you eat? Stupid fatbody.

    The best one was some guy over at SA I think who posted a youtube video complaining that the Wii Fit balance board had an upper weight threshold of like 400lbs or something ridiculous.

    His face was almost literally a sphere. He had no neck, a constant gradient of cheek down to his bulbous chest.

    scarab you have mental problems
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There are no "white" movies because to imply that your movie is targeting a "white" audience would get the racism train brought down on your studio faster than you could say "Watermelon"

    One could argue that every movie targets white audiences unless otherwise implied or stated

    But that's dumb because you could just arbitrarily say that across the board with any majority group even if the marketing team and the production team made no active effort. I mean that's like saying "Sophocles wrote with a distinct Greek bias." Yeah, of course he did, because he was Greek. That doesn't make his entire body of work rabidly nationalistic/ethnocentric.

    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    People always forget about asians when they talk about racism.

    How about the fact that there aren't any movies targeting the widespread asian demographic? Or latino?

    I say that the movement to put 'blackness' on a pedestal is causing the movie shit you are talking about. People make a 'black movie' because they have an audience for it like they have an 'action movie' audience like they make a 'hanna montana' movie because they have an audience for fucking hanna montana.
    So what you are saying is that Miley Cyrus is on a pedastall?

  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    Defender wrote: »
    Sicarii wrote: »
    I can't seem to find the full blog of that crazy lady who was ranting how racist RE5 was. She was a barrel full of crazy; it was a delightful read.

    Remember the hideous fatbeast bitch that complained about Fat Princess? That was funny, too. Hey fatty, if you don't like it, why don't you do some light exercise a couple times a week and fucking control what you eat? Stupid fatbody.

    Hey man, they can't help being fat!

    Yes, because in her case it was a combination of glandular problems and a guy in a mask with a gun who told her she could eat a full box of donuts or a full box of .38 hollowpoints.

    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • ThatDudeOverThereThatDudeOverThere Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    So what you are saying is that Miley Cyrus is on a pedastall?

    Are you saying she isn't?

    PqhbDd2.png
    My Youtube My Steam SMITE IGN: TDOTCRFH4 come SMITE with me
  • edited February 2009
    I can see how that isn't racist in two ways since his expectations would be for a soul food dining environment in harlem.

    If you tell me that you're gonna take me to a roadhouse outside of Jasper, I am going to have expectations too.

    But his expectations were offensive and outrageous. His expectations were blatantly prejudiced and based on race, not on anything substantial, evidenced, or concrete. That expectation is not ok. By the time someone is in their 50s, they should not have expectations like that.

    I am in fact explicitly saying such expectations are more accurately called prejudices, which are racist.

    You can have an "expectation" that a guy named Jamal applying for a job at your store will steal and be lazy, so you don't hire him, but that is in fact just racism. Calling it an expectation doesn't make it a different entity.
    Second, he could be speaking

    People act like human beings don't hear stories and conduct pattern recognition in their brains on a subconscious level, and that it's somehow evil for a person to have any sort of expectation and have it proved wrong.

    No, of course prejudice happens and develops in people. That doesn't make it OK. People do lots of things, that are common, natural, or hard to avoid. That doesn't make them OK! That's an appeal-to-nature fallacy, that I'm sure you'd reject whenever hippies use it, to equally wrong conclusions.

    I have prejudices. I absolutely do. I have internalized the stereotypes my society has presented me with. I also make a conscious effort to override them and act in opposition to them. That's because I know those prejudices are wrong and harmful and I have an ethical obligation to not propagate them or act on them.
    I'll tell you this: If I am walking in New York at night and I see a guy behind me in a hoodie and saggy pants, I'm gonna cross the street cause I'm afraid. If I see a guy behind me wearing a suit I won't do shit.

    This is where you and I differ. I absolutely will have that initial moment of fear, because my society has ingrained a lot of stereotypes into me. Then I remember that realistically, I'm more likely, statistically, to be a victim of crime perpetrated by a white man than a black man, and that someone's dress is not an accurate measure of how likely they are to perpetrate crime. It's a shortcut to assuming one's socioeconomic status, an often wrong shortcut, and in turn, socioeconomic status is a shortcut to assuming potential danger.

    The reason it's important to not cross the street is that the guy you're crossing to avoid notices. He notices and is offended and harmed by it. Beyond just psychological harm, in that it sure would suck to have people assume you're a criminal for the way you look, it's alienating and reinforces societal divisions.

  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    People always forget about asians when they talk about racism.

    How about the fact that there aren't any movies targeting the widespread asian demographic? Or latino?

    I say that the movement to put 'blackness' on a pedestal is causing the movie shit you are talking about. People make a 'black movie' because they have an audience for it like they have an 'action movie' audience like they make a 'hanna montana' movie because they have an audience for fucking hanna montana.
    So what you are saying is that Miley Cyrus is on a pedestal?

    If you're a 13 year old girl, then yes.

    Steam name: munkus_beaver
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer I'm Speed Racer and I drive real fast. I drive real fast, I'm gonna last.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Defender wrote: »
    Sicarii wrote: »
    I can't seem to find the full blog of that crazy lady who was ranting how racist RE5 was. She was a barrel full of crazy; it was a delightful read.

    Remember the hideous fatbeast bitch that complained about Fat Princess? That was funny, too. Hey fatty, if you don't like it, why don't you do some light exercise a couple times a week and fucking control what you eat? Stupid fatbody.

    I thought the Fat Princess complaints were more a feminism thing and had more to do with how the men were treating the woman like an object to steal and manipulate for their own purposes and the woman just takes a passive and submissive role in it.

    Crazy no matter what though.

    speedsig2_zps388d2098.jpg
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Defender wrote: »
    Sicarii wrote: »
    I can't seem to find the full blog of that crazy lady who was ranting how racist RE5 was. She was a barrel full of crazy; it was a delightful read.

    Remember the hideous fatbeast bitch that complained about Fat Princess? That was funny, too. Hey fatty, if you don't like it, why don't you do some light exercise a couple times a week and fucking control what you eat? Stupid fatbody.

    The best one was some guy over at SA I think who posted a youtube video complaining that the Wii Fit balance board had an upper weight threshold of like 400lbs or something ridiculous.

    His face was almost literally a sphere. He had no neck, a constant gradient of cheek down to his bulbous chest.

    Jesus Christ. What's even worse is that he's too dumb to realize that you can walk around outside and do crunches and pushups (or at least strain at them until they eventually happen) without an overpriced novely bathroom scale. Seriously, fatty, if you want to get in shape for real, don't waste your time with bullshit. And if you don't, well, uh...fuck you for being an eyesore.

    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • edited February 2009
    People always forget about asians when they talk about racism.

    How about the fact that there aren't any movies targeting the widespread asian demographic? Or latino?

    I say that the movement to put 'blackness' on a pedestal is causing the movie shit you are talking about. People make a 'black movie' because they have an audience for it like they have an 'action movie' audience like they make a 'hanna montana' movie because they have an audience for fucking hanna montana.

    I just don't understand why people think it's strange for a white person to see a movie with an all/predominantly black cast, but totally normal for a black person to see a movie with an all/predominately white cast.

    It's because we think of whites as normal, or raceless.

  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Okay... This looks bad.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    what's this Fat Princess thing?

    zw3k8eu.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR
  • ThatDudeOverThereThatDudeOverThere Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    man people don't just get fat

    it is always for a reason

    like say passive agressive suicide
    Spoiler:

    PqhbDd2.png
    My Youtube My Steam SMITE IGN: TDOTCRFH4 come SMITE with me
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Just curious backwards, have you ever even eaten at a barbeque place?

    I mean, I was at this place called the Half Moon Grill the other day and I was fucking shocked to find that it was a clean establishment with nice tables and a lot of sports shit on the walls and hi-def TVs.

    I was shocked because it was a fucking barbeque place.

    Steam name: munkus_beaver
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
  • edited February 2009
    Defender wrote: »
    There are no "white" movies because to imply that your movie is targeting a "white" audience would get the racism train brought down on your studio faster than you could say "Watermelon"

    One could argue that every movie targets white audiences unless otherwise implied or stated

    But that's dumb because you could just arbitrarily say that across the board with any majority group even if the marketing team and the production team made no active effort. I mean that's like saying "Sophocles wrote with a distinct Greek bias." Yeah, of course he did, because he was Greek. That doesn't make his entire body of work rabidly nationalistic/ethnocentric.

    No but what I'm saying is whites aren't exactly suffering for a lack of movies targeted at them.

  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Just curious backwards, have you ever even eaten at a barbeque place?

    I mean, I was at this place called the Half Moon Grill the other day and I was fucking shocked to find that it was a clean establishment with nice tables and a lot of sports shit on the walls and hi-def TVs.

    I was shocked because it was a fucking barbeque place.

    Places with "Moon" in the name generally are classy joints though.

    saiyan2.jpg
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    People always forget about asians when they talk about racism.

    How about the fact that there aren't any movies targeting the widespread asian demographic? Or latino?

    I say that the movement to put 'blackness' on a pedestal is causing the movie shit you are talking about. People make a 'black movie' because they have an audience for it like they have an 'action movie' audience like they make a 'hanna montana' movie because they have an audience for fucking hanna montana.

    I just don't understand why people think it's strange for a white person to see a movie with an all/predominantly black cast, but totally normal for a black person to see a movie with an all/predominately white cast.

    It's because we think of whites as normal, or raceless.

    Who said it's strange? What?

    Steam name: munkus_beaver
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Defender wrote: »
    Sicarii wrote: »
    I can't seem to find the full blog of that crazy lady who was ranting how racist RE5 was. She was a barrel full of crazy; it was a delightful read.

    Remember the hideous fatbeast bitch that complained about Fat Princess? That was funny, too. Hey fatty, if you don't like it, why don't you do some light exercise a couple times a week and fucking control what you eat? Stupid fatbody.

    I thought the Fat Princess complaints were more a feminism thing and had more to do with how the men were treating the woman like an object to steal and manipulate for their own purposes and the woman just takes a passive and submissive role in it.

    Crazy no matter what though.

    That was probably in there too, although this woman was definitely complaining about the portrayal of fat people. I think she even said that it's a "lifestyle" and it's unfair to portray it negatively. Because apparently, two things:

    1) Being a fat piece of shit is a lifestyle choice, not just laziness. Like, if you could choose to be lean and fit or big and muscular or fat and unable to climb a flight of stairs without a donut break, and none of them required any extra work or discipline or money, you would actually have chosen option three.

    2) Anything that is a person's choice or way of life is automatically deserving of respect, no matter what it is.

    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer I'm Speed Racer and I drive real fast. I drive real fast, I'm gonna last.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    what's this Fat Princess thing?

    It's a downloadable PS3 game that's basically capture the flag. You have two teams of knights trying to rescue a princess from each other's castle. While you have the princess in your castle you can force-feed her to make her fat so that the other team has to move more slowly when taking her back.

    speedsig2_zps388d2098.jpg
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Furu wrote: »
    Just curious backwards, have you ever even eaten at a barbeque place?

    I mean, I was at this place called the Half Moon Grill the other day and I was fucking shocked to find that it was a clean establishment with nice tables and a lot of sports shit on the walls and hi-def TVs.

    I was shocked because it was a fucking barbeque place.

    Places with "Moon" in the name generally are classy joints though.

    This had a 50s looking moon smiling on the side and is in the same strip-mall as a chuck e cheese

    Steam name: munkus_beaver
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
  • edited February 2009
    Just curious backwards, have you ever even eaten at a barbeque place?

    I mean, I was at this place called the Half Moon Grill the other day and I was fucking shocked to find that it was a clean establishment with nice tables and a lot of sports shit on the walls and hi-def TVs.

    I was shocked because it was a fucking barbeque place.

    But don't you see how making an assumption based on it being a barbecue place doesn't hurt anyone, but making an assumption based on the ethnicity of the clientele is harmful and offensive?

  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Just curious backwards, have you ever even eaten at a barbeque place?

    I mean, I was at this place called the Half Moon Grill the other day and I was fucking shocked to find that it was a clean establishment with nice tables and a lot of sports shit on the walls and hi-def TVs.

    I was shocked because it was a fucking barbeque place.

    But don't you see how making an assumption based on it being a barbecue place doesn't hurt anyone, but making an assumption based on the ethnicity of the clientele is harmful and offensive?

    Based on the information you provided me, you are the one that assumed he was making a prediction based on race and not one based on location and restaurant type.

    Steam name: munkus_beaver
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Furu wrote: »
    Just curious backwards, have you ever even eaten at a barbeque place?

    I mean, I was at this place called the Half Moon Grill the other day and I was fucking shocked to find that it was a clean establishment with nice tables and a lot of sports shit on the walls and hi-def TVs.

    I was shocked because it was a fucking barbeque place.

    Places with "Moon" in the name generally are classy joints though.

    This had a 50s looking moon smiling on the side and is in the same strip-mall as a chuck e cheese

    50's looking anything always implies "classy retro feel" or "this place has not been cleaned since the 50's".

    You're a brave man.

    saiyan2.jpg
  • edited February 2009
    People always forget about asians when they talk about racism.

    How about the fact that there aren't any movies targeting the widespread asian demographic? Or latino?

    I say that the movement to put 'blackness' on a pedestal is causing the movie shit you are talking about. People make a 'black movie' because they have an audience for it like they have an 'action movie' audience like they make a 'hanna montana' movie because they have an audience for fucking hanna montana.

    I just don't understand why people think it's strange for a white person to see a movie with an all/predominantly black cast, but totally normal for a black person to see a movie with an all/predominately white cast.

    It's because we think of whites as normal, or raceless.

    Who said it's strange? What?

    well we can kind of assume it from the way these movies are marketed at black audiences, and the people who go see them are overwhelmingly black.

    Clearly white audiences don't feel comfortable or interested in going to these movies because demographically, they don't

    So at least in a very literal sense, it is unusual, or strange.

  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Let me put it this way:

    I would be surprised to walk into a Soul Food restaurant that is classy, prim and proper.

    Same way that I am surprised to find an upscale Mexican restaurant. Or, hell, a fucking upscale burger joint until they started building those down here too. Fucking love cheeburger and five guys, though. But man, first time I heard about it I was all "What the fuck? You mean...a sit-down burger joint? Uh...ok..."

    Steam name: munkus_beaver
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
  • edited February 2009
    Just curious backwards, have you ever even eaten at a barbeque place?

    I mean, I was at this place called the Half Moon Grill the other day and I was fucking shocked to find that it was a clean establishment with nice tables and a lot of sports shit on the walls and hi-def TVs.

    I was shocked because it was a fucking barbeque place.

    But don't you see how making an assumption based on it being a barbecue place doesn't hurt anyone, but making an assumption based on the ethnicity of the clientele is harmful and offensive?

    Based on the information you provided me, you are the one that assumed he was making a prediction based on race and not one based on location and restaurant type.

    Um.

    It was a soul food restaurant in harlem.

    And the assumptions he made were negative stereotypes of african americans

    what, what more do you want? I'm honestly confused as to how you can really believe his assumptions weren't based on race when he went to a historically black restaurant in a historically black part of new york.

  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    People always forget about asians when they talk about racism.

    How about the fact that there aren't any movies targeting the widespread asian demographic? Or latino?

    I say that the movement to put 'blackness' on a pedestal is causing the movie shit you are talking about. People make a 'black movie' because they have an audience for it like they have an 'action movie' audience like they make a 'hanna montana' movie because they have an audience for fucking hanna montana.

    I just don't understand why people think it's strange for a white person to see a movie with an all/predominantly black cast, but totally normal for a black person to see a movie with an all/predominately white cast.

    It's because we think of whites as normal, or raceless.

    Who said it's strange? What?

    well we can kind of assume it from the way these movies are marketed at black audiences, and the people who go see them are overwhelmingly black.

    Clearly white audiences don't feel comfortable or interested in going to these movies because demographically, they don't

    So at least in a very literal sense, it is unusual, or strange.

    So I'm unusual because I saw barbershop?
    Is a black guy unusual for wanting to see Beer for My Horses?

    Steam name: munkus_beaver
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    People always forget about asians when they talk about racism.

    How about the fact that there aren't any movies targeting the widespread asian demographic? Or latino?

    I say that the movement to put 'blackness' on a pedestal is causing the movie shit you are talking about. People make a 'black movie' because they have an audience for it like they have an 'action movie' audience like they make a 'hanna montana' movie because they have an audience for fucking hanna montana.

    I just don't understand why people think it's strange for a white person to see a movie with an all/predominantly black cast, but totally normal for a black person to see a movie with an all/predominately white cast.

    It's because we think of whites as normal, or raceless.

    It's the majority. It's not that we consider white to be "raceless." Look at racist white people, man. They're all proud of their pure white European heritage and culture and racial features and shit. They definitely do not see it as "raceless," they see it as "the best race."

    For the rest of us, when you say "average guy from the USA," it conjures up an image that conforms to the majority of what you've seen in the USA. I'm white. Most people in this country are white. I am inclined to imagine white people when you say "average American person," and this is in fact accurate. Also, I picture a male, probably just because I am male. If you say "picture a German," I do not imagine a guy with Asian features. There are Asians who live in Germany. But I'd pretty much have to be going out of my way to show how not-racist I am if you ask me what I see when I picture a German and I start describing Asian features.

    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Just curious backwards, have you ever even eaten at a barbeque place?

    I mean, I was at this place called the Half Moon Grill the other day and I was fucking shocked to find that it was a clean establishment with nice tables and a lot of sports shit on the walls and hi-def TVs.

    I was shocked because it was a fucking barbeque place.

    But don't you see how making an assumption based on it being a barbecue place doesn't hurt anyone, but making an assumption based on the ethnicity of the clientele is harmful and offensive?

    Based on the information you provided me, you are the one that assumed he was making a prediction based on race and not one based on location and restaurant type.

    Um.

    It was a soul food restaurant in harlem.

    And the assumptions he made were negative stereotypes of african americans

    what, what more do you want? I'm honestly confused as to how you can really believe his assumptions weren't based on race when he went to a historically black restaurant in a historically black part of new york.

    Ok, so when you make assumptions about a Roadhouse outside of Bumfuck Alabama, you're being racist?

    Just because it is located in an area where blacks happen to be doesn't mean that it is racist to form an opinion of that area. If there are fucking murders going on outside the YMCA, I'm not racist for not wanting to go to the Y, even if it's located in harlem.

    Steam name: munkus_beaver
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
  • edited February 2009
    Let me put it this way:

    I would be surprised to walk into a Soul Food restaurant that is classy, prim and proper.

    Same way that I am surprised to find an upscale Mexican restaurant. Or, hell, a fucking upscale burger joint until they started building those down here too. Fucking love cheeburger and five guys, though. But man, first time I heard about it I was all "What the fuck? You mean...a sit-down burger joint? Uh...ok..."

    Well I don't know about classy prim and proper. Those are kind of vague, and potentially offensive. I guess it depends how you define those words.

    But finding an upscale mexican joint surprising is realistic, simply because there aren't many. The ones that do exist are fucking delicious, hot damn, but lord knows I lament there rarity.

    Now, finding it unusual that a place frequented by African Americans isn't run according to negative stereotypes of african americans is something else entirely.

    That's like being surprised that a Mexican restaurant has legal residents working inside. That's offensive.

  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Let me put it this way:

    I would be surprised to walk into a Soul Food restaurant that is classy, prim and proper.

    Same way that I am surprised to find an upscale Mexican restaurant. Or, hell, a fucking upscale burger joint until they started building those down here too. Fucking love cheeburger and five guys, though. But man, first time I heard about it I was all "What the fuck? You mean...a sit-down burger joint? Uh...ok..."

    Five Guys is a fast food place like any other. They don't wait on you. You order at the counter, you pick up your order when it's ready. The only difference I can see here is that your food is cooked to order instead of sitting under a heat lamp.

    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • edited February 2009
    People always forget about asians when they talk about racism.

    How about the fact that there aren't any movies targeting the widespread asian demographic? Or latino?

    I say that the movement to put 'blackness' on a pedestal is causing the movie shit you are talking about. People make a 'black movie' because they have an audience for it like they have an 'action movie' audience like they make a 'hanna montana' movie because they have an audience for fucking hanna montana.

    I just don't understand why people think it's strange for a white person to see a movie with an all/predominantly black cast, but totally normal for a black person to see a movie with an all/predominately white cast.

    It's because we think of whites as normal, or raceless.

    Who said it's strange? What?

    well we can kind of assume it from the way these movies are marketed at black audiences, and the people who go see them are overwhelmingly black.

    Clearly white audiences don't feel comfortable or interested in going to these movies because demographically, they don't

    So at least in a very literal sense, it is unusual, or strange.

    So I'm unusual because I saw barbershop?

    in a purely demographic sense, and according to the common wisdom of hollywood, which doesn't market that movie at people who look like you? yes. Should it be that way? No.
    Is a black guy unusual for wanting to see Beer for My Horses?

    I don't know what that is.

  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Is a black guy unusual for wanting to see Beer for My Horses?

    I don't know what that is.

    :O

    RACIST

    Steam name: munkus_beaver
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
  • edited February 2009

    Ok, so when you make assumptions about a Roadhouse outside of Bumfuck Alabama, you're being racist?

    Just because it is located in an area where blacks happen to be doesn't mean that it is racist to form an opinion of that area. If there are fucking murders going on outside the YMCA, I'm not racist for not wanting to go to the Y, even if it's located in harlem.


    If you avoid the YMCA because it is a locus of crime, that's fine.

    If you avoid the YMCA because it's frequented by blacks, and you assume that therefore it is crime-ridden, then it's racist.

    Do you see the difference?

  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Let me put it this way:

    I would be surprised to walk into a Soul Food restaurant that is classy, prim and proper.

    Same way that I am surprised to find an upscale Mexican restaurant. Or, hell, a fucking upscale burger joint until they started building those down here too. Fucking love cheeburger and five guys, though. But man, first time I heard about it I was all "What the fuck? You mean...a sit-down burger joint? Uh...ok..."

    Well I don't know about classy prim and proper. Those are kind of vague, and potentially offensive. I guess it depends how you define those words.

    But finding an upscale mexican joint surprising is realistic, simply because there aren't many. The ones that do exist are fucking delicious, hot damn, but lord knows I lament there rarity.

    Now, finding it unusual that a place frequented by African Americans isn't run according to negative stereotypes of african americans is something else entirely.

    That's like being surprised that a Mexican restaurant has legal residents working inside. That's offensive.

    It's not offensive if it's accurate. (I don't know if it's accurate.)

    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    run according to negative stereotypes of african americans
    "no one was vulgar or rude or loud, everyone ate with forks and napkins, no one was shouting 'mother fucker get me some iced tea'"
    Those are black stereotypes?

    1LRdqui.png
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Defender wrote: »
    There are no "white" movies because to imply that your movie is targeting a "white" audience would get the racism train brought down on your studio faster than you could say "Watermelon"

    One could argue that every movie targets white audiences unless otherwise implied or stated

    But that's dumb because you could just arbitrarily say that across the board with any majority group even if the marketing team and the production team made no active effort. I mean that's like saying "Sophocles wrote with a distinct Greek bias." Yeah, of course he did, because he was Greek. That doesn't make his entire body of work rabidly nationalistic/ethnocentric.

    No but what I'm saying is whites aren't exactly suffering for a lack of movies targeted at them.

    But you're asserting without basis that these movies are targeted at whites. What if they're just targeted at "the moviegoing populace in general?" Maybe that population happens to be white, Christian, 50/50 split on gender, and has whatever distribution among ages and income levels? Just targeting "the vast body of customers in general" does not count as "specifically targeting whites."

    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
This discussion has been closed.