As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Selling a domain

GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, about five months ago I bought a domain. Nothing special, it was the name of a product that I had in my youth, and I had intended to make a fan site at some point for it. 5 months has come and gone, and I haven't had the time to develop a proper site for it yet.

Two days ago, I was called by a company that wishes to buy the domain that I have. I know the company well, as many here probably do too. They sold the original product in question, back in the day. My question is advice on how to do this, as I've never sold a domain before. Also, I'm not convinced I will sell the domain as I'm hesitant that the company won't use the domain like I would like them too.

I initially bought the domain for around $60 - it was through an auction, the last owner was just one of those random sites that just parks advertisements on pages so I got it when they didn't renew it, but multiple people went for it. If I wish to sell it, should I simply ask for an offer? I have no idea whatsoever how much the domain is worth. There was also the mention of possibly me helping out with whatever they want to do with the domain, but I don't know much more than that at the moment. I know I'm being rather vague, but I'd rather not do anything to mess up the deal if in fact, one occurs. Thanks guys!

Geod on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tell them you bought it as an auction and let them know you'd be willing to sell it to them and also let them know you won't be doing so at an exuberant price.

Chances are they can get it from you for free just for owning the product's copyright/trademark/patent. I'd say ask them to make an offer or sell it to them for $60-100.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm betting that if said company owned the product "back in the day" and the copyright hasn't expired, they'll have rights to it if it's the exact name of the product.

Yeah, beat'd. Ask them for an offer, and it'll probably be >$60.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Also, there are a lot of websites that will tell you the value of a domain

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    YourFatAuntSusanYourFatAuntSusan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Okay, I have some advice for you. I can't give a whole lot of details as to how I have this information due to my line of work.

First, if the company approaching you is a large corporation, they probably have a budget set on a domain by domain basis. Get them to make you and offer, don't offer up a price. Their budget for the acquisition will be lower than the cost of legal representation to get the name from you via DRP with ICANN. Purchasing the name is generally the easiest solution for both parties involved and limits overhead.

We use an escrow service for our domain acquisitions which would be a safe way to conduct the transfer of money once you come to an agreement.

Don't be greedy, but you do stand to potentially make significantly more than you purchased the name for.

PM me if you want more info.

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]