As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bike related tattoo brainstorming

Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok. I would like to get a bike-related tattoo to commemorate a ride I'm doing with my father this summer. Ideas so far:
  • Chain ring a la
    shimano%20105%20fc5502%20double%20chainring.jpg
  • Bike wheel, I don't think I need to provide an image for this one. I tend towards simple designs, but it would need enough detail to be recognizable as a bike wheel and not some other kind of wheel. This might be difficult.
  • Something with a bike chain? They're pretty distinctive but I'm not sure what shape it would be in. Figure eight maybe?
That's all I've thought of so far, but I would really like to hear any thoughts on these few or suggestions on other possibilities or placement of the tatt!

Dance Commander on

• Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Why dont you get the chain ring maybe like 10 speed style with smaller rings inside, and then on one of those get the chain hanging down and have it maybe in a figure eight pattern? Or is that a bit much?

I really like the chain ring idea myself, its simple and everyone knows what it is.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    How 'bout the chainring and a derailleur, and the chain on it twisted into an infinity symbol?

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    my first thought was derailleur

maybe do it traditional style. that would look pretty bitchin

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    tattoo.gif

Make the chain more dominating perhaps, with a dark circle around the design that fades away behind the tattoo

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you get a gear tattoo, it should be on one of your joints.
    Sure it might hurt more and be smaller, but it will be awesome.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I know a guy that has that bike chain thing you posted a picture of in the first post.

On fire.

With a skull in it.

Don't be that guy.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I know a guy that has that bike chain thing you posted a picture of in the first post.

On fire.

With a skull in it.

Don't be that guy.
    for truth. a bike chain in a figure 8 seems very cliché.

i feel like it would be too easy to make it a "memorial" type tattoo, which i know is what you are going for, a bicycle has some pretty cool looking components that would also remind you of the ride

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Generally anything prominently featuring a chainring is going to seem cliche.

Personally I'd probably go for something Jo Burt inspired, but I suspect that wouldn't carry the same significance outside the UK.

japan on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I swear every decent tattoo idea is cliche, I'm kind of resigned to that. I'm not sure I want to pick some random obscure part of a bicycle and get that just because a bunch of other yahoos also have chainrings tattooed on their bodies.
    Unless that obscure part also looks cool, but I'm kind of coming up blank. I'm turned off by the idea of a chain in a figure eight the more I think about it. I really, really tend toward simple geometrical designs, which is one of the reasons a wheel or chainring appeal to me so much. I'll bust out ye olde Art of Road Bike Maintenance later tonight and see what I can come up with.

Tattoos on the foot: I know it's painful, but opinions?

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I like em. Easy to hide, neat placement, lots of curves.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You know how sometimes you press your calf against the chain ring and you get that awesome grease imprint of it?

Yeah, get that.

Like this:
    skitched-20080625-175544.jpg
    Cat%25205%2520Tattoo.jpg

noobert on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Chain ring on your right ass cheek. Do it.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If I'm getting anything tattooed on my ass it may as well be a bike seat.

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Okay but for real a chain ring around your hip joint could be neato. A really simple, minimalistic design could work well.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    i think a chain ring would be cool honestly. chains not so much though keep in mind its really hard to do perfect circles in tattoos.

if you go the chainring i would try and go realistic rather than stylized

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    What exactly do you mean by that?

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    assuming you mean me.

realistic meaning its trying to be accurate in its detailing

an example

spoilered for pubes
    imgthumb.089508e18e9320dfd65922431dd6cf5f.400.300.0.0.300.400..d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e.5.0.1158126854.80.jpeg
    pretty obvious its a colt
    or this part
    imgthumb.feb422474540fce891b01c9cb6788eb1.400.300.0.0.300.400..d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e.5.0.1219533608.80.jpeg by eldrat

where as this is a stylized dagger
    Adamtigerdagger.jpg by Jason Lambert

you can tell its a dagger with a tiger head, but it isn't exactly true to a real dagger

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ah, yeah. I would definitely get a stylized design, then. Trying to get photorealistic tattoos always seems to end in disaster.

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, a simple chainring would be really cool. Make sure to pick a good quantity of teeth, though. Don't make it the small chainring. That would just look fredish.

LavaKnight on