As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hockey on] NHL09 - GO TO NEW THREAD

• Options
    remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Great game Frank. I give up way too many breakaways. My Achilles heel.

remlap13 on
  • Options
    Masked_MulletMasked_Mullet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    mclay8823 wrote: »
    Marty Biron is an embarrassment.

he has done better then Toskala. He's stood on his feet for the games against Remlap and conscript. I think he deserves some credit. My defense is rank.

Masked_Mullet on
  • Options
    puffycowpuffycow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    remlap13 wrote: »

Yea, it was a really exciting one. Cody and our friend Andy were on the edges of their seats... both cheering for you for some reason.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    puffycow wrote: »

Yea, it was a really exciting one. Cody and our friend Andy were on the edges of their seats... both cheering for you for some reason.

Haha that's awesome. This must be a definite rivalry in the making. You hear that Commish? This is the start of something big :lol: Especially if we get matched up in the playoffs

remlap13 on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Haha that's awesome. This must be a definite rivalry in the making. You hear that Commish? This is the start of something big :lol: Especially if we get matched up in the playoffs

I was cheering for most of your players since I have like 3 of them on my fantasy hockey team. Hemsky, Gilbert, and Roloson. You so should've won that game. Frank is a bitch.

Laonar, SFIV is so awesome. If you liked the old ones, this is a great way to get back into the series (besides HDremix).

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    mclay8823mclay8823 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I need to have a small party at my home so we can pretend we're still in college.

So Frank won't drink, Cody will be "in", Andy will go home for the weekend, TJ will stand in the doorway, Kevin will ferk bitches, Jake will sing, and Dave will throw urine out the window

mclay8823 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

It's on buddy!

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I havent got to post this yet. However I felt like I won the Stanley CUp the other night. I took MClay into OT on a 1v1 game. I lost in the shootout 3-2 but I did something I thought I wouldnt be able to do. Score on him. Now granted he was the Islanders and I was the Capitals but one time I am going to beat him... One time!

That was a great game Mike, can I call you Mike? I am tired of putting MCclay lol

Laonar on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Schide, are you around at all today? We can get our final game in. Same goes for you, JonTheJanitor.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Laonar wrote: »
    I havent got to post this yet. However I felt like I won the Stanley CUp the other night. I took MClay into OT on a 1v1 game. I lost in the shootout 3-2 but I did something I thought I wouldnt be able to do. Score on him. Now granted he was the Islanders and I was the Capitals but one time I am going to beat him... One time!

That was a great game Mike, can I call you Mike? I am tired of putting MCclay lol

I'd prefer Mike actually. Yeah, you did a nice job. You had the upper hand for the first period until I adjusted and basically dominated the 2nd half of the game. Unfortunately for me, the Islanders are horrid and I rang the puck off the post about 12 times. Oh well. It could've easily went either way. Nice work.

Also, Schide beat me in a league game after that and I also lost to some other guy who was awful in a random online game later that day. Sigh. I thought I was losing my touch until I smoked 2 guys today 7-1 and 5-0.

Let's go everyone. I'm ready for the playoffsssssssssssssss

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Schide, are you around at all today? We can get our final game in. Same goes for you, JonTheJanitor.

Yeah, I can be on anytime past like, 4, so just let me know when you want to play and I can go on.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I am ready to go if you want. I'll be on, just invite me.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I will go through my list and kick a few people tomorrow. I will also be sending out messages to the people I still need to play. You are going to have to set up a time to play me because I will be practicing for a Street Fighter tournament all week.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I was thinking about the plans for next season. I agree that a "draft" is a good idea, but there are a few things to consider:

A) First of all, making the champion (and maybe the top 2-4) draft last would be asinine. There should be some advantage given to the team who wins the league. They shouldn't draft first, but making them draft last...I don't like.

B) If 20 teams complete season 2, those 20 teams should get the first 20 picks. New teams have proven to be unreliable and allowing them to draft in the first few slots would be senseless.

Just some thoughts...

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Discussions are in progress about making the top half of the league (with winning records) be AHL teams to be chosen by players in the lower half of the league.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Seriously?

I'd give it a shot, but if I'm playing like Remlap as San Jose and I'm the worst AHL team, I don't see me having a chance. At least just use the NHL teams. Going 13-50 is not fun to me.

Edit: How is this decision being made btw?

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Playing as an AHL team would be boring for me, and I would almost certainly sit out of next season if this is the route you guys decide to go. I like playing as players that I've at least heard of before.

In the end it doesn't matter much what teams everybody is, because Mike will likely dominate no matter what, and the rest of us will remain competitive. Whether he's Detroit, or the worst team in the AHL I don't see anybody else being in first place next season.

chuck steak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Playing as an AHL team would be boring for me, and I would almost certainly sit out of next season if this is the route you guys decide to go. I like playing as players that I've at least heard of before.

In the end it doesn't matter much what teams everybody is, because Mike will likely dominate no matter what, and the rest of us will remain competitive. Whether he's Detroit, or the worst team in the AHL I don't see anybody else being in first place next season.

I agree with your first point, Chuck. I'd rather be the Islanders than a bunch of guys I don't give a shit about in the AHL. I love prospects, but half the fun is using the NHL players.

As for your 2nd point, I disagree. I'm very beatable...especially with a bad team against a good team. Next time were both on, let's play. I'll be Hershey and you be whoever you want. That can help all of us see how next year will go.

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I agree with your first point, Chuck. I'd rather be the Islanders than a bunch of guys I don't give a shit about in the AHL. I love prospects, but half the fun is using the NHL players.

As for your 2nd point, I disagree. I'm very beatable...especially with a bad team against a good team. Next time were both on, let's play. I'll be Hershey and you be whoever you want. That can help all of us see how next year will go.

You just can't help but to be somewhat insulting can you? :lol:

I'd love to play an exhibition game or two with you though (as two NHL teams, I'm no chump), cause I think I've gotten a lot better since we met early in the season, and I truly hope that you aren't as godly as your record over the past 2 seasons has indicated. Though even if you are, every sports league needs a team that everybody loves to hate.

chuck steak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    How was that insulting exactly? This is what I mean about people taking what I say out of context. You say I'm better than you and it's okay. I admit I'm better than you and I'm a dick LOL

Anyways, we both agree that we want to see how next season would go with the top teams as AHL teams and the lower half in record as NHL teams, right? So, I'd like to use an AHL team and play one of you (using an NHL team). If I get smoked, it should help everyone decide which way we should go next season.

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'll try you out as an AHL team, just message me next time you see me on. I'll even be some other team than the Pens. I also didn't see what was insulting in your last post really, you just wanted to test out whether you'd be as good with an AHL team or not.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    He isn't that heaven-like. More than likely, no one in the top 10 will win it in season 3 if they are an AHL team. I still think it should happen. You'd think it wouldn't be fun, but I guarantee that after 5 games you'll have guys that you started getting attached to, it's just how it is. I think it will level the playing field, because there seems to be a ginormous gap in skill level.

I am assuming there will be a poll of sorts at the end of this season.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    "there seems to be a ginormous gap in skill level."

I don't see how this is possible after each team just played 50 league games. You can't play 50+ games and be awful. As long as you're not awful, you will win games with a powerhouse team against a poor AHL team.

It's on Schide!

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    As long as you're not awful, you will win games with a powerhouse team against a poor AHL team.

I disagree.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As long as you're not awful, you will win games with a powerhouse team against a poor AHL team.

I disagree.

I agree ... with the disagreement?

Listen, if that's what happens at the end of the season then so be it, it'll be a new wrinkle? And this is coming from a S1 vet who is going to finish either right inside or right outside the top 10. I completely agree with Puffbowski's earlier comment that you'll get attached to players just after a game or two ... it happens just from in-game experience and everyone knows that.

I think this is something that truly should get worried about later on ... or at least till we make playoffs considering we really need to kick some people in the ass right now about playing.

WilDPanthA05 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Uhhhhhhhhhh, yeah mclay is still going to kill everybody even with an AHL team. That was ridiculous. Everything he puts on the net just goes in regardless of the skill level of the players.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Schide, I was Hershey and you were the Florida Panthers for some reason. I could make a case that I had the better team in that game.

Pick a top NHL team and I won't beat you 6-0. Let's go!

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    How was that insulting exactly? This is what I mean about people taking what I say out of context. You say I'm better than you and it's okay. I admit I'm better than you and I'm a dick LOL

Anyways, we both agree that we want to see how next season would go with the top teams as AHL teams and the lower half in record as NHL teams, right? So, I'd like to use an AHL team and play one of you (using an NHL team). If I get smoked, it should help everyone decide which way we should go next season.

I was just joking around (hence the lol smiley).

Anyways, I don't think I will get attached to shitty AHL players. I've been playing a tonne of be a pro today, and I couldn't wait to get off of the shitty Hershey Bears so I could start playing with Ovechkin. Playing with AHL teams would also get rid of trading, which I haven't done much of, but I like that the option is there.

If we're so worried about parity why not just make two leagues, and play more games against each other. The top 10 or so seem to be more dedicated and willing to get lots of games in quick anyways.

chuck steak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well anyway, my point remains that it's much much more the player playing the game than it is the team, a good player is still most likely going to beat a less good player even with a crappy team. So I don't think forcing the top 10 players or whatever to be AHL teams is going to do much good.

I we wanted to switch it up a bit or something I'd rather see everybody pick international teams or something, like KHL or Swedish Elite League teams. I wouldn't mind being me some SM Liiga or Ak Bars Kazan or something. Providing I want to play next season, of course.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I disagree.

I agree ... with the disagreement?

Listen, if that's what happens at the end of the season then so be it, it'll be a new wrinkle? And this is coming from a S1 vet who is going to finish either right inside or right outside the top 10. I completely agree with Puffbowski's earlier comment that you'll get attached to players just after a game or two ... it happens just from in-game experience and everyone knows that.

I think this is something that truly should get worried about later on ... or at least till we make playoffs considering we really need to kick some people in the ass right now about playing.

Yea, tomorrow is boot day for 4-6 people.

And I agree with Frank. Doesn't matter if a shitty player is using the Red Wings against a skilled person using an AHL team. The skilled player still has a better chance of winning. That is dumb to say you will lose because you use an AHL team. You just don't want to use an AHL team.

edit: I wouldn't be opposed to taking a month break from the league personally, but I will keep posting standings if yous want to play another season right away.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    "The skilled player still has a better chance of winning. That is dumb to say you will lose because you use an AHL team. You just don't want to use an AHL team."

First of all, did you just call me dumb? I don't want to whip out the "H" word again, but I will...

Anyways, I played two test games and here are the results. **I recommend that everyone read this because it should impact your vote for next season**

I was Hershey (AHL) and Schide was the Panthers (NHL). Attack time was pretty even, but I outplayed him for sure and won 6-0. This game didn't mean much to me because Hershey is not much worse than Florida in my opinion.

Then I played Chuck. He was Detroit (NHL) and I was Bridgeport (worst AHL team I think). I beat him 4-3 in a shootout. This proves Frank right in that we "top" teams can win with AHL teams, but here is my issue: My team sucksssssssssss. I mean, I had fun and all, but I seriously dominated the game and he took scored on every semi-legit scoring chance. I mean his goals were less than impressive to say the least. (Not being mean, Chuck, just being honest). If Chuck plays slightly better, he beats me like 6-2 IMO.

Anyways, it is a small sample size, but I learned something tonight. If say the top 10 teams are AHL teams, this could work. Any less than that and it could be trouble. And Cody, I already knew what I'm about to say, but you apparently don't have enough experience with the game to know this, so here it is: The team you are does have an impact. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that. I've played hundreds of games online with teams of several different skill levels. Having a poor team is a clear disadvantage. Tonight's results should prove that.

Cody, I will run the league next year if you don't want to be involved. In fact, I may make one regardless. Anyone who wants to join can. (FYI: You can be in two at once). I'll gather all of you who I know play alot and we'll make like a 12-15 team league and play each other say 5-7 times? We will use one division: either NHL, AHL, etc. It shouldn't take long since it will only be you guys who play all the time.

Any of you regulars have any preferences?

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If you make another league then I don't want you in mine and vice versa. You run your league and I will do the same.

Deal? Good.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    No doubt having a worse team is a disadvantage. Even though I played like shit, the fact that my players were way faster, and had much harder and more accurate shots made the score more even than it should have been.

We should all just play in two leagues. One with Mike where he can beat us all, be a champ, and feel good about himself, and one where the rest of us have fun in a competitive league. :P (/Joking)

chuck steak on
  • Options
    MnMaggotMnMaggot Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey guys,
    I've been out of town for the last 5 days and am in the process of buying a house and moving in the next two weeks. It's safe to say, I'm out =(. Maybe I'll join up another season when I have more time. But, PM me if you guys are still doing any trades and might want a specific goalie from my team :P

MnMaggot on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    MnMaggot wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I've been out of town for the last 5 days and am in the process of buying a house and moving in the next two weeks. It's safe to say, I'm out =(. Maybe I'll join up another season when I have more time. But, PM me if you guys are still doing any trades and might want a specific goalie from my team :P

Trades get undone once you're kicked from the league, so that's pointless.

Looks like I now just have 1 more game against Soundstruck then I'm done. Hurry up people, I want to start the playoffs!!!

chuck steak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »
    If you make another league then I don't want you in mine and vice versa. You run your league and I will do the same.

Deal? Good.

Cody,

What is your problem? Why do you have to be a crybaby? You just said you don't feel like making a league. I said I'd run it. Now all of a sudden because I said I'd run a league, you want to run yours again and don't want me in? What the fuck, dude?

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »

Deal? Good.

Cody,

What is your problem? Why do you have to be a crybaby? You just said you don't feel like making a league. I said I'd run it. Now all of a sudden because I said I'd run a league, you want to run yours again and don't want me in? What the fuck, dude?

I...never stopped...running my league.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well, he said he may or may not be in it. And you said you'd make one either way. Whatever happens, I only have time to be in one league, so someone tell me at the end of the season where to go.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You guys should start using pm's for you petty little squabbles.

Seriously, we should have a big group hug and start hotsteppin' again.

chuck steak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I hear ya Chuck. I try to argue with him one-on-one, but he prefers to do it for an audience. I don't get it.

Regardless, Cody you said you didn't want to play. I volunteered to pick up the slack and make your life easier. As always, I'm the big dickhead. God forbid I help you out. Jesus...

Edit: And what does me running a league have to do with your league? Seriously? Please explain what effect it has on you and your league. I swear you do anything in your power to make me look bad or make my life harder. I really don't get it...

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png