Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Best Worst Movies

HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
So the other day I was watching John Carpenter's masterwork of auteurism entitled "Big Trouble in Little China" and it got to thinking: What is it that I'm enjoying so much about watching this ludicrous film?

Perhaps the fact that I can turn my brain completely off, consuming the McDonald's of visual media. Equally possible is my desire to massage my own ego, making fun of the campy, bad (whether intentional or not) writing and acting. Maybe I was reliving a childhood fantasy, where bad guys didn't need proper reasons for existing and the good guy always won.

Whatever the reason, it was a very satisfying experience.

So, D&D, what are some of your favorite bad films or B movies? What attracts you to them? Do you find yourself watching them often? And finally, is there an art to them? I know I've often found that Sci-fi's attempt at creating B movie greatness every weekend fails miserably.

My initial list includes the following in addition to Big Trouble in Little China:

Army of Darkness
Starship Troopers
David Lynch's (or Alan Smithee's :P ) DUNE
There are probably more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Heartlash on
TiSBcast.com - Home of This is Serious Business, a weekly roundtable podcast involving media, beer, and general merriment.
Twitters