As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Making an internet sitcom

BoxBox Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Artist's Corner
;

Box on

• Options
    bhunt17bhunt17 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Im recently new to the forum, but for the most part I liked it. Your sudo freeze frame at the end was odd, I would have edited it making it an actual freeze frame. I enjoyed the one characters attitude of doing nothing is how we fix it, and saying that the door didn't work anymore. Creative idea and shot pretty well too!

bhunt17 on
  • Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I hated the one dude's accent with the glasses. At first it sounded like he was british, but the more I heard it, the more it sounded 'slow'.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I quite like the premise - you could do some quite weird existential stuff with it, I think.

Dude with the glasses has a speech impediment, I think?

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Dude with the glasses has a speech impediment, I think?

Correct.

Box on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The weakest bit was him doing all the research. It seemed like a good place for you to something like Cut to the relaxed guy sleeping then cut to the spastic guy (sped up footage here, like that scene in clockwork orange) researching, trying the doors again and just basically bouncing off the walls. Woulda built up the strangle joke a little more.

Id still watch the next episode tho.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't like the way the scenes are lit. The colors aren't rendered accurately, you should invest in CFL lights with a high color temperature or something, 5500k. Some scenes are also overexposed.

Also, maybe you could have a laughtrack or something, to give it that sitcom feel.

Obs on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was expecting a lot shittier. I second the laugh track, and the dude's voice doesn't bug me at all.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It started good, but it just kind of wandered around pointlessly from then on. That being said, the production was pretty crisp and I didn't hate it, which is actually a pretty big compliment considering how rediculously fucking awful these things usually are.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    I don't like the way the scenes are lit. The colors aren't rendered accurately, you should invest in CFL lights with a high color temperature or something, 5500k. Some scenes are also overexposed.

Also, maybe you could have a laughtrack or something, to give it that sitcom feel.

I was going for a style. Outside of their windows is nothing but blinding white light, so I thought that everything should be a little over exposed.

Box on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    a laugh track is a very bad idea and usually cheapens a show

Projeck on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Unless the show is intentionally going for a novelty feel, which would help the one in question.

Also, the name sucks. It would be like "The Odd Couple" being called "Two Older Men with Different Approaches to Hygiene Cohabiting the Same Apartment."

The name alone kept me from going to watch it. I only changed my mind after the first responses weren't grossly negative.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i just really, really hate laughtracks

Projeck on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Also, the name sucks. It would be like "The Odd Couple" being called "Two Older Men with Different Approaches to Hygiene Cohabiting the Same Apartment."

The name alone kept me from going to watch it. I only changed my mind after the first responses weren't grossly negative.

Same here.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Projeck wrote: »
    i just really, really hate laughtracks

Laughtracks automatically make your show feel funnier even if it isn't.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Box wrote: »
    Obs wrote: »

I was going for a style. Outside of their windows is nothing but blinding white light, so I thought that everything should be a little over exposed.

Yeah the exposure there is ok but other times the screen just looks very yellow.

Obs on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's amazing what you can do with laugh tracks and videos take Friday the 13th for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qgR2o4liKI

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    Grim OutlookGrim Outlook Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i liked townies, i thought that was genuinely really funny. is there more than one video in that series?

on topic: this wasn't thaat funny, but it had a few laughs. i'd watch another episode if you ever made one.

Grim Outlook on