As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help get me started on Silent Hill

GilderGilder Aw snapMacaroni PartyRegistered User regular
edited March 2009 in Games and Technology
So I decided to stop being such a coward and try out a survival horror game, specifically Silent Hill. I just started playing Silent Hill 1 but if I finish it I'm not sure on what to do next. Silent Hill 2 was on Xbox and PS2 and I'm not sure which version was "better". I know that the greatest hits edition of the PS2 version has the added Xbox stuff but was there anything else? Does either version have more? PS2 games look like total ass on my TV but Xbox games not as much. I also know that Silent Hill 3 has at least one bonus scene for having a SH2 save and SH3 is PS2 only. Is there anything more than that to be worth buying the PS2 version?

Speaking of SH3, is it even worth playing? Since I never played the series I know nothing aside from the very tiny amount I saw my friend play years ago. He recommends it though. Keep in mind that a big part of why I'm playing these is I like seeing the disturbing things the creators come up with. It's fascinating to me to try and figure out what thought process went into creating such monsters, areas, and other things like that. The story seems pretty cool too.

SH4 and beyond is where I have no idea on anything. My friend hated SH4, Origins (It does look pretty shitty), and he liked Homecoming. Any information on these is greatly appreciated. So come PA, come and help me become too paranoid to be able to hear static on a radio without looking around for evil dogs or open a door in fear of seeing some Pyramid Head sex. This is going to be a long mission but I think I can do it.

Gilder on

• Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I never beat SH1 or SH2, but I absolutely loved SH3. It has it's ups and downs (and from my three hours of playing SH2, I think they did good and bad with SH3) but the scares are wonderfully done and I actually liked being scared, and progressing through the game just to see what was in store for me in an artistic sense.

If I could I would beat SH2, but I don't have the time to do rudimentary puzzles. If I were you, I would purchase it for the XBox because the lighting I believe is much better.

Sanius on
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The extra scenes in SH3 for having a SH2 savefile aren't anything major, all you'll miss out on is an in-joke commenting on James' character from SH2.

SH1 is excellent, but the look hasn't aged too well. It's well worth playing though, and there's more optional stuff in SH1 than there is in any other of the games.

SH2 is generally the one most people consider to be 'the best'. Rather than continue where SH1 left off, it's more 'here's a story about this guy and some other guys and that creepy town', and while you do learn something of the town's history (but not much about the previous game), it's more about James and his journey and his reasons for being there. It's very good. The extra mini-scenario you get in the X-Box and PS2-Special Edition is something that you ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT PLAY until you've completed the main game. MAJOR fucking spoilers in there.

SH3 continues the story in SH1, sorta. In that it's more about the history of the town and less about some dude or girl that ended up there, if that makes sense. I enjoyed it quite a lot, personally.

SH4 is where things get divided. Some fans like it, some don't. It wasn't originally going to be a SH game, but they really did make it work with the story. But it -is- different and it -plays- different, but I found the gameplay changes to be a benefit in the main. SH4 is to SH2 what SH3 is to SH1 - it's a continuation of -that- story and those characters, but to say any more would be to spoil it. I will say that SH4 is the only one of the series to make me pause the game, put the controller down, and WALK AWAY after some of the creepier stuff in it. The others I tended to pause, think about it, and continue. SH4, I needed to take a break and go out in the sunshine. But it was the middle of the night.

SH:Origins is worth playing through if you have a PSP, or if you can borrow someone's. It's not that long, and it does add -something- to the experience, but some people (me included) weren't too happy with the personalities given to certain established characters. I can see the argument for why they fit, but they didn't sit well with me. Still, I played through the game, and I' glad I did.

Silent Hill 5: Homecoming... well. I bought it on release day. I've not finished it. I didn't even get that far. I do intend to complete it, someday, but there are things about it that I don't like, and the feel of the game isn't right. It doesn't seem claustrophobic and oppressive enough, it feels too open and sandboxy, at least at the start. I got to Silent Hill and things picked up a bit, but not enough to make me want to play through it in a weekend or two. I really should do that, though. I played all the other SH games continuously until I was done.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I would count myself a big fan of the series but am only as far as SH3 (which I'm playing right now).

I'd go for SH2 on whichever system you prefer (sounds like XBox) as you can always youtube the extra scene in SH3 when you're finished.

My personal opinions:

SH1 Truly fantastic genesis to the series, but PS1 graphics age badly and it has a truly awful sewer section.

SH2 Fantastic story, however the element of danger from the monsters is utterly gone.

SH3 (Playing now), business as usual but the enemy fear is back! Loving it.

My main suggestion would be not to rush through them, things don't massively evolve gameplay or setting-wise and if you cannon them back to back you'll probably get fed up with running down 'grim rusty corridor filled with locked doors #388' and give up half way through. By spacing them out you can appreciate them more and won't numb yourself to the fear.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    SH1, 2 and 3 are all amazing (1 has the best atmosphere, 2 the best plot, and 3 the best individual moments), but the extra stuff in 2 isn't essential. Get it if you can, but lacking it won't change the game much.

SH4 has many flaws, but has enough atmosphere and story to at least be worth giving a try.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    SH3 is definitely worth playing; it's probably my favorite, although SH2 has an admittedly better story (one of the best stories seen in a videogame, IMO).

A lot of people didn't like SH4, and I can kind of see why, but I loved it. It was interesting to see the out-and-out horror the series is known for with something which is somehow even more surreal. The Otherworld is gone, but what replaces it is somehow even more eerie; it's like you're wandering through the world after everyone in it has been dead for a thousand years. The ghosts were pretty creepy, too.

Duffel on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    When you're done playing the various Silent Hill games, I highly recommend playing the Siren series as it was made by a lot of the same people and feels like a natural evolution of the series. In fact, the Siren series is probably one of the major reasons why a lot of fans didn't much care for the latter Silent Hill games - most of the original Team Silent staff had already left by then to do Siren and other projects.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ooh man, I totally forgot about Silent Hill and Siren for whenever I pick up a PS3 soon.
    Thankyou so much for reminding me :D

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    When you're done playing the various Silent Hill games, I highly recommend playing the Siren series as it was made by a lot of the same people and feels like a natural evolution of the series. In fact, the Siren series is probably one of the major reasons why a lot of fans didn't much care for the latter Silent Hill games - most of the original Team Silent staff had already left by then to do Siren and other projects.

Of course, the European-only release of Siren 2 will hamper quite a few people.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »

Of course, the European-only release of Siren 2 will hamper quite a few people.

Which is a big shame because Siren 2 was fantastic and noticeably better than the first one (which is also fantastic albeit insanely hard). If I ever become rich, I want to import a PAL PS2, any adapters I need to get the PAL PS2 to work & Siren 2 and play it in English (I've only played the Chinese version).

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The problem I have with my copy is that I feel strangely compelled to finish the first one first, and I'm sure you can guess how well that's going.

We even got it with japanese language options, too.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I own all the SH games.

SH 1 was great (I played it after SH2). While it graphically hasn't aged well, it is still scary, and just plain good fun.

SH 2 was the best IMO. The story and ending are fantastic, it still looks good, and it introduced us to Pyramid Head, which everybody loves. This title is stand alone, you don't need to play SH1 at all to understand anything.

SH 3 is a direct sequel to SH3, and ties things up nicely I think. SH2 is the better game overall, but if you liked the story elements from SH1 more, then this continues that.

I own SH4 and SH:H, but have yet to play them.

I have SH Origins on the PSP (It's also available on PS2), despite was everyone says, I really enjoyed this one. It is short, then again so are all the other games. It does have a rip off of Pyramid Head, and some of the plot elements you can see from a mile away. But I think it's a great prequel and fleshes things out more.

I'm playing through Siren: Blood Curse right now, and it's great. You can definitely tell the people who made Silent Hill worked on this game (terrifying enemies: check, hospital: check, dark: check, rust & grunge: check, fantastic sound design: check).

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've owned the original Siren for years but have yet to play it. Why did they only release the sequel in Europe?

Can it be obtained on Ebay?

Duffel on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mostly because the first Siren sucked. "Oh look a pitch black T.V. screen where a sniper kills you in one hit 9 miles away!", fuck that.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    I've owned the original Siren for years but have yet to play it. Why did they only release the sequel in Europe?

Can it be obtained on Ebay?

Yes, there are a couple copies on eBay right now for around $30-$40. Be warned, however, that the vast majority of traditional ways of getting import games to work don't work with Siren 2 (which is why I mentioned importing a PAL PS2).
    Mostly because the first Siren sucked. "Oh look a pitch black T.V. screen where a sniper kills you in one hit 9 miles away!", fuck that.

They pretty much did away with the instant kill long range snipers in the sequel. Besides the instant kill snipers were the developers not so subtle way of telling you that you were going the wrong direction.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    For SH2, it doesn't matter which system you buy it on. It does look a bit sharper on Xbox and I believe you have the option of turning off the noise.

SH3 is a great game and very impressive for the PS2. It's a sequel to SH1, so there weren't as many surprises, but it's well worth playing.

SH4 is a good, but very different game than anything else in the series. I felt the central hub room controlled awkwardly, but outside of that, I thought it was well done. If you skip it, though, you won't really be missing anything.

Homecoming is a mixed bag. Combat has been improved, but the monster designs aren't quite as ... disturbing. They seem a bit silly, really. And it's dark. Real dark. Much, much, much too dark than is reasonable. I expect this kind of draw distance from a PS1 game, not a PS3/360. I liked the story, though, and it's worth a play.

Origins is good, too, but not great. It's very short, though, so it won't take to long to complete and it does give you some more backstory if you're interested in the universe.

Anyway, 1, 2, and 3, I think are essential. 4, Homecoming, and Origins are all right, but they aren't as good as an experience as the other games.

Siren? Only if you plan on playing the PS3 version. Personally, I don't like stealth games and that's basically what Siren on PS2 is.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've only ever played SH2, but it's awesome and you should play it post haste.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Silent Hill 3 will get you some closure on part 1, but because of the continuity between those two games it'll have that same feel to it.

I didn't play part 2, I only watched my brother play bits of it here and there, but it kinda has its own tangent. Like, "Hey, lots of other people go through different shit in Silent Hill." Which is cool and all, I guess. But I always favor continuity.

Edit - Though, to be fair about SH2... PYRAMID HEAD.

Henroid on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Do note that after 1 and 2 they do seem to get lesser significantly. 5 definitely had the atmopshere but not the story and good god, i know people say its the journey not the ending but I want a reward for my work, I want to sit through a short film if necessary that explains everything in detail, not 30 seconds of clip footage.

The monsters in 5 are also pretty uninspired.

2 is definitely more about the narrative than anything else, there are entire sequences where you don't face anything, you're just left alone to consider your role, its definitely an example of games as art IMO.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Ethereal IllusionEthereal Illusion Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Silent Hill 3 also has really awesome music. There's some disturbing things in there, so I would say it's definitely worth playing for you. SH2 and SH3 were both very memorably experiences to me, and they're also very different from each other. I can strongly recommend them.

These are both for the PC too, if you like that option.

Ethereal Illusion on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    VorelicVorelic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've played all the Silent Hills and like em but I'd say just play Silent Hill 1, 2, and 3. They have the best stories and are def. worth the play through. You can skip 4 and Origins if you want to move on to playing something else.

Vorelic on
  • Options
    take5lattetake5latte Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    i only played the 2nd after hearing a lot of good reviews from friends, very good game

take5latte on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Start with 1 before playing 3, no matter what. It hasn't aged too well, but it was still a great game for the time.

3 is my favorite in the series, but 2's still good, just for different reasons.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    New to the genre but am kind of picky. Tried RE1 and 2 but hate the whole menu option. Have RE4 but a little to slow paced for me.

Want to be scared to death but am looking for a good story line to keep me hooked. I have all systems but prefer mostly Xbox or Playstation ...

Suggestions ...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Haunting Ground is definitely intense, but the protagonist is about as helpless as they come, so it's not really an action game per se. It's true 'survival' horror.

It has a system where the more the main character loses her cool, the atmosphere starts going crazy.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Project Zero/Fatal Frame is a decent series.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Every SH game is worth playing, including SH4. I always rally for people to play them in order, because there is nothing more memorable than that first trip through the alley in SH1. It's also important to experience the evolution from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4, etc.

Every game has something important to contribute to the overall mythology of the series, even if it isn't that apparent at first. Plus, you get rewarded with little references in future games that help tie everything together. They're ALL worth it, they ALL have moments that transcend their medium. Play ALL of them.

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyF4371Bt0M

I've never wanted to play this until now.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Start with 1 before playing 3, no matter what. It hasn't aged too well, but it was still a great game for the time.

3 is my favorite in the series, but 2's still good, just for different reasons.

I think the reason Silent Hill 1 scares me so much is because it was establishing the atmosphere for the entire series, and it does a damn good job of it. So yeah, it probably hasn't aged well in a lot of regards, but getting that important first dose is always best. First experiencing the siren noises, the opening sequence and seeing the direction they wanted to go when walking down that alley with the camera turning over and back again... There's no better horror hook out there in gaming, says I.

I know there's people who have played one of the later games and then played the first and thought, "Wow that was so bad."

Henroid on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    How are the fatal frame games available on the Xbox? I've been hankering for FF4 based on the previews, but I may be gray and old before that's localized.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The first Silent Hill is absolutely terrifying. It still scares me when I play it. I think it's the only game in the series that shoves you head first into the streets when it's the Otherworld. You can't see shit, there's a bottomless pit of nothing beneath your feet, your radio is screaming, you can hear the grunts of those scary ape men things somewhere around you - no game since has really captured that breathless terror.

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    How are the fatal frame games available on the Xbox? I've been hankering for FF4 based on the previews, but I may be gray and old before that's localized.

They're the definitive versions, especially 2, since it's the 'Director's Cut'. Extra gameplay options and unlockables, notably a Millenia costume from Deception 2.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyF4371Bt0M

I've never wanted to play this until now.

OMG. Awesome UFO Ending.

Ah yeah Silent Hill. I'll echo the statements about 1-4 (loved it but it's not everyone's cup of tea).

SH:HC really is a mixed bag. Combat is good (when it works...), enemies actually can kill you (upping the tension) but it really lacks in atmosphere. Monster desing, puzzles and areas to be precise. Dear God, are the areas uninspired.
    The last area especially. After the awesome places you visit in previous Silent Hills (Nowhere, The Hotel Otherside, Nowhere 2 I suppose and the REALLY disturbing Apt. Building) the Order's...Basement I suppose was lacking.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »
    New to the genre but am kind of picky. Tried RE1 and 2 but hate the whole menu option. Have RE4 but a little to slow paced for me.

Want to be scared to death but am looking for a good story line to keep me hooked. I have all systems but prefer mostly Xbox or Playstation ...

Suggestions ...

I couldn't stand RE1 or 2. SH2 is awesome go play it.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for all the opinions guys. It looks like I'll just end up playing them all due to the glowing recommendations for 3. 4 and Homecoming seeming to be games I just need to try. I'm pretty much at the very beginning of 1 (I just got to the school) and I was already planning on playing 2. I guess I'll get the Xbox version of 2. The atmospshere kind of breaks apart when all I can see are PS2 jaggies.

4 is the same case as 2 with it being I should just play it on whichever system I prefer right? No version has some amazing backstory or extra stuff that the other doesn't?

Funnily enough I do actually own Siren but I'm not good enough to play it. I may give it a try someday but I've seen videos of it online. I do find it extra creepy that Siren was where I first heard that siren noise and SH uses it as well. The first time I heard it in SH1 I got really freaked out because I started expecting some horrible catastrophe to hit.

Gilder on
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yes, with 4 both versions are the same. It does look quite a bit better on Xbox, but they both have the same content. I only own them on PS2 because of the PS3 BC.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Six wrote: »
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »

Suggestions ...

I couldn't stand RE1 or 2. SH2 is awesome go play it.

My local Mom and Pop has it on hold for me for the oXbox. And only 3 more hours of work to go ...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The Xbox version of 2 has an extra side story focusing on Maria, so it's definitely the version to get.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Xbox version of 2 has an extra side story focusing on Maria, so it's definitely the version to get.

Yes, but as stated in the OP, so does the greatest hits PS2 version :P

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Edit: beaten

Xagarath on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    THe PS2 version of 2 has an extra side story focusing on Maria, so it's definitely the version to get.

DarkWarrior on