As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cheap, good VPN service?

darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
I'm looking for a VPN service but I don't have experience with any so I figured there's no harm in asking here. Does anyone have any experience with different VPN services, or which ones offer good deals and service? I have seen some for as low as $5 a month or as high as $15 a month. I don't need of the high-end packages that some of the companies offer, just a way around my ISP's insane P2P blocking (it's a local ISP with no understanding of P2P but thinks every form of it should be blocked. To the point of where my PS3 and 360 have a hard time downloading anything or playing anything on Live/PSN because of the way they transfer packets my ISP flags it as P2P and try to block it).

image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
darkenedwing on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think your best bet is to call your ISP and inform them that their draconian P2P traffic blocking is preventing you from using their service for legitimate uses and that you're thinking about dropping them and going with a better service.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    I think your best bet is to call your ISP and inform them that their draconian P2P traffic blocking is preventing you from using their service for legitimate uses and that you're thinking about dropping them and going with a better service.

I wish I could. I live in a small town and where I live you can't get DSL or Cable so they have like a T3 connection from sprint and set up a wireless tower in town and put a small receiver in your yard and you get the internet through them that way. And the last time I called tech support I said "your blocking legitimate P2P uses" and he said "whats P2P" and I explained it to him and he asked their owner and he pretty much went "IT WOULD COST US TOO MUCH MONEY TO ALLOW BITTORRENT SO NO WE WONT LET ANYONE HAVE IT OR ANY P2P" and he hung up on me :P

so... yea.

Edit: another question that goes along with this.

So, say I got a VPN service that you connect through normally. (some you have to use their program to connect to their service), would I be able to connect my PS3 to my PC and have it go through the VPN? or is would there be an easier way to do this through my router? (linksys wrt54gs I think)

darkenedwing on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I would not be surprised if they also blocked VPN connections.

You should be able to setup VPN on your router, though you may need new firmware like dd-wrt or whatnot. Otherwise use internet connection sharing from your PC (although this is a pain usually to setup).

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    is dd-wrt easy to install? I have one of the routers that you have to use the "lite" version of it.
    and, I have done ICS before, so I know how to set it up and get it working, so I would just need to run a ethernet cable from my PS3 to my PC and then set up ICS so that the PS3 gets its internet through the VPN connection?

darkenedwing on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So, is it possible to be able to connect my PS3 to my PC and have it get its internet through the VPN?

darkenedwing on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yes, it is. Your PC needs 2 network ports or wireless, though.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    exoplasm wrote: »
    Yes, it is. Your PC needs 2 network ports or wireless, though.

Yea, its a Macbook Pro, so it has an ethernet port and wireless. Thankyou for all you help :D

darkenedwing on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've heard good things about StrongVPN

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I use www.relakks.com, it's fairly affordable and works well but you end up with a Swedish IP which means it's no good for anything like hulu.com. Pretty damned good for other things though, since no one tries to chase down a Swedish IP address. No software requirement which is nice.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    leubooleuboo __BANNED USERS new member
    edited December 2009
    I used www.widevpn.com it has more then 300 dedicated ip
    15 country vpn ip
    so you can only buy one account then get all ips ..amazing.

leuboo on
  • Options
    KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    bowen wrote: »

I wish I could. I live in a small town and where I live you can't get DSL or Cable so they have like a T3 connection from sprint and set up a wireless tower in town and put a small receiver in your yard and you get the internet through them that way. And the last time I called tech support I said "your blocking legitimate P2P uses" and he said "whats P2P" and I explained it to him and he asked their owner and he pretty much went "IT WOULD COST US TOO MUCH MONEY TO ALLOW BITTORRENT SO NO WE WONT LET ANYONE HAVE IT OR ANY P2P" and he hung up on me :P

so... yea.

Edit: another question that goes along with this.

So, say I got a VPN service that you connect through normally. (some you have to use their program to connect to their service), would I be able to connect my PS3 to my PC and have it go through the VPN? or is would there be an easier way to do this through my router? (linksys wrt54gs I think)
    A T3 for a town? Wow. I nearly have that kind of bandwidth at my house.

You're probably going to want to use a SSL VPN service if possible as any kind of transport layer security (IPSec, PPTP, L2TP, GRE) will be easily identifiable and with the kind of backwards ideas they have for filtering it wouldn't be too hard for someone to figure out what you're doing and block it. If that's not a service that is sold (I don't see why not) then, make sure you have a trial period for your service.

Krikee on
This discussion has been closed.