As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Scout Fortress 2: BONK!

13»

• Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    CangoFett wrote: »
    How to kill before the round starts on well

This to me was solid proof of being able to get higher with the new weapon. Because, as of right now, you can only cross the train as a scout if you are on red team

On Red team, if you climb up the windows onto the second story ledge, on the left side, you can jump to a lamp. You cannot do it on the right side, or on the blu side it all. It has to be left side . You can double jump to a lamp on the fence, then jump from that to the train, and cross.

Uhh the proof is clearly in the description for Egypt "Classes with the ability to ascend rapidly (Soldiers, Demomen, and Scouts using the new scattergun unlockable ) have lots of options for traversing the arenas."

Cobell on
  • Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I love Team Fortress 2. And sniper. Never imagined having so much fun while moving so little in a video game.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    donhonk wrote: »

I posted this and a ton of other bonk songs a few threads ago douchehonk.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I love Team Fortress 2. And sniper. Never imagined having so much fun while moving so little in a video game.

I've tried every class and I always go back to Pyro. Everything else just feels lame.

parabola on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cobell wrote: »
    CangoFett wrote: »
    How to kill before the round starts on well

This to me was solid proof of being able to get higher with the new weapon. Because, as of right now, you can only cross the train as a scout if you are on red team

On Red team, if you climb up the windows onto the second story ledge, on the left side, you can jump to a lamp. You cannot do it on the right side, or on the blu side it all. It has to be left side . You can double jump to a lamp on the fence, then jump from that to the train, and cross.

Uhh the proof is clearly in the description for Egypt "Classes with the ability to ascend rapidly (Soldiers, Demomen, and Scouts using the new scattergun unlockable ) have lots of options for traversing the arenas."

Yeah, I know, I was talking about the other day, realizing it had a change.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Zek wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »
    guys, what if the stun bat is the scatter gun replacement and this force of nature is the melee replacement?

No. YOU CAN EVEN SEE THE NEW SHOTGUN IN THE ENERGY DRINK SCREEEN!*

*may or may not be true

idk, looks like the same old shottie to me.

they're just really playing up the baseball angle, so I'm imagining a huge bat of some sort that increases power/knockback based on previous damage/stuns.

based partly on this:
    Out of the Park: Bat an enemy 25 meters.

24o0mf7.jpg

Going by that picture and the hint from today's update, I'm guessing it is a 2-shot, very powerful sawed-off with a huge kick that can be used to propel yourself upwards. Mystery solved! Too easy.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Probably propels yourself backwards, like crazy recoil but if you aim down it acts as a rocket jump.

parabola on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If the reloading is as satisfying as the Doom II shotty I will be VERY happy.

donhonk on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    it should shoot shotgun slugs

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    To reiterate what I was feeling ranty about earlier on the server.

People are so quick to call scout difficult and needing skill &c., and sniper easy because you 'just stay at the back at shoot stuff'.

Man, what bullshit. I play scout every now and again and it is easy compared to sniper. As scout, I only die if I fuck up, frankly. I scored 31-15 which is pretty similar to my sniper scores (map was cp_well), and there was so little unforced error it's ridiculous. You have tremendous power and speed and can fuck people up pretty comprehensively... and, more importantly, escape. I cannot stress this enough.

People keep saying how easy sniper is because you're out of the fight, but that's just rubbish. Quite apart from other snipers and backstabs, you have flare guns, heavy cones, faster teleporter-based gameplay, improved spy cloak, rocket and sticky jumping, and most classes can mess your aim up enough to take you out if they really want to. If snipers could stay out of fights maybe they would be an easy class, but the fact is that distance is not a serious obstacle in TF2, and every other class vs. a sniper in close combat should be expected to win (an expectancy which does not always work the other way, too). This was less of a problem before the unlockables, but I really hope that Valve address the increasing fragility of the sniper in the designated patch (hopefully the next one).

Pre-empting, because I am going to bed:
    You still score high enough, how is sniper really in trouble if that's the case?
    I do okay, but the sense of peril and helplessness has markedly increased, and I've noticed other, more casual snipers are scoring lower than they used to.

The sniper shouldn't be able to put up a fight at close quarters, he's a glass cannon.
    True, and I agree, but there's the issue of balance. The list of things antagonistic to the sniper has only grown and he's been given nothing in return. Indeed, the only change made to the sniper was that they took away his ability to crit. The amount of times I get destroyed, instantly and completely, is growing - and the scout update isn't going to change matters. It's just no fun. I don't really want more chances to kill the enemy, because that goes against the philosophy - but I want a better chance of escaping.

Scout isn't easy, sniper is, etc etc.
    Whatever =P
    I've come top as scout, soldier, pyro... I've sunk not insignificant hours into those classes even if it pales in comparison to my sniper stats. They're easier, they just are. The only harder class I think is spy, as I've said before. And even then, some people say that spy is easier. (edit: engineer gets a pass because it's so incredibly different from everything else).

Anyway I am going to bed. There wasn't really any reason to post this I suppose but I just get annoyed at this silly, fabricated stereotype that sniping is easy (if, in comparison, scout is hard). It is not.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    All im saying is, when we go to count snipers in the census, that we count them as only 2/3 of a man. What is so wrong with that?

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Snipers are balanced. You get one hit kill power, better than the spies because it doesn't fuck up because of some shitty animation.

Being top as a certain class doesn't make a class easy.

Team Fortress 2 != Halo 3

Goose! on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    it should shoot shotgun slugs

Slugs would be awesome, too.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Scouts is pro. Snipers is Mario Kart Wii.

Monsty on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Snipers also have to deal with everyone blocking their shots, so are only useful in certain areas.

Scouts aren't exactly easy to play as either though, I've seen a lot of really horrible scouts. Plus we die just as easily to a lot of classes as you do to scouts.

I wouldn't say sniper is easy either though, you have to deal with a lot of shit scouts don't. It's all just different annoyances.

Morkath on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Flippy_D wrote: »

People are so quick to call scout difficult and needing skill &c., and sniper easy because you 'just stay at the back at shoot stuff'.

Man, what bullshit. I play scout every now and again and it is easy compared to sniper. As scout, I only die if I fuck up, frankly. I scored 31-15 which is pretty similar to my sniper scores (map was cp_well), and there was so little unforced error it's ridiculous. You have tremendous power and speed and can fuck people up pretty comprehensively... and, more importantly, escape. I cannot stress this enough.

People keep saying how easy sniper is because you're out of the fight, but that's just rubbish. Quite apart from other snipers and backstabs, you have flare guns, heavy cones, faster teleporter-based gameplay, improved spy cloak, rocket and sticky jumping, and most classes can mess your aim up enough to take you out if they really want to. If snipers could stay out of fights maybe they would be an easy class, but the fact is that distance is not a serious obstacle in TF2, and every other class vs. a sniper in close combat should be expected to win (an expectancy which does not always work the other way, too). This was less of a problem before the unlockables, but I really hope that Valve address the increasing fragility of the sniper in the designated patch (hopefully the next one).

You still score high enough, how is sniper really in trouble if that's the case?
    I do okay, but the sense of peril and helplessness has markedly increased, and I've noticed other, more casual snipers are scoring lower than they used to.

The sniper shouldn't be able to put up a fight at close quarters, he's a glass cannon.
    True, and I agree, but there's the issue of balance. The list of things antagonistic to the sniper has only grown and he's been given nothing in return. Indeed, the only change made to the sniper was that they took away his ability to crit. The amount of times I get destroyed, instantly and completely, is growing - and the scout update isn't going to change matters. It's just no fun. I don't really want more chances to kill the enemy, because that goes against the philosophy - but I want a better chance of escaping.

Whatever =P
    I've come top as scout, soldier, pyro... I've sunk not insignificant hours into those classes even if it pales in comparison to my sniper stats. They're easier, they just are. The only harder class I think is spy, as I've said before. And even then, some people say that spy is easier. (edit: engineer gets a pass because it's so incredibly different from everything else).

Anyway I am going to bed. There wasn't really any reason to post this I suppose but I just get annoyed at this silly, fabricated stereotype that sniping is easy (if, in comparison, scout is hard). It is not.

Sniper takes the most pure aiming skill of any class of course. But I think it's also the most straightforward class in many ways, so as long as you're great at aiming and know the basics of situational awareness you'll be top notch. Scout is the #2 hardest class to aim with and adds all the elements of movement skill, running in and out of danger, recognizing openings and when to run away, etc.

Which is harder depends entirely on your skillset. Sniper is my hardest class because I don't play precision shooters so I haven't developed my accuracy enough. I don't think we have that many good snipers around here really since we all only play TF2. But Snipers are #2 in points per hour on the stats and Scouts are near the bottom.

You're worse off than most because people just really like victimizing you. You should think about it though, are you sure there's nothing you're doing wrong when you get killed too much? If you get too frustrated about class balance it's easy not to learn lessons that should be obvious. If the other team is doing a good job of pressuring you maybe you should just play more conservatively.

Zek on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    my secret scout technique:
    -go into public payload servers
    -solo push the cart while using it as cover
    -profit (score wins essentially uncontested)

pubs suck so bad

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Whatever =P

F-

tofu on
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Zek wrote: »

Whatever =P

Sniper takes the most pure aiming skill of any class of course. But I think it's also the most straightforward class in many ways, so as long as you're great at aiming and know the basics of situational awareness you'll be top notch. Scout is the #2 hardest class to aim with and adds all the elements of movement skill, running in and out of danger, recognizing openings and when to run away, etc.

Which is harder depends entirely on your skillset. Sniper is my hardest class because I don't play precision shooters so I haven't developed my accuracy enough. I don't think we have that many good snipers around here really since we all only play TF2. But Snipers are #2 in points per hour on the stats and Scouts are near the bottom.

You're worse off than most because people just really like victimizing you. You should think about it though, are you sure there's nothing you're doing wrong when you get killed too much? If you get too frustrated about class balance it's easy not to learn lessons that should be obvious. If the other team is doing a good job of pressuring you maybe you should just play more conservatively.
    I'm good at precision shooters but that's not why I like TF2, so it's crit pineapples and entrenching tools for me.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009

pubs suck so bad

heh i went onto a pub earlier to check my connection (18-30ping, woo!), and managed to get second place on the team on 2fort, just by running around and blast people in the back. Had like 80 points after 20 minutes.

Morkath on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    dustbowl is a server killer but especially when followed by 1-round 2fort

think about it - longass time on a single map, and probably finished on stage 3 which means demos and sentries and heavies and shit

then you load a new map, and it's fucking 2fort

you play for one round, and then have to load a new map again

wtf

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    dustbowl is awesome fuck yoself

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    fuck broself son

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    WhatWhat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    fuck broself son

damn son
    Morkath wrote: »

pubs suck so bad
    heh i went onto a pub earlier to check my connection (18-30ping, woo!), and managed to get second place on the team on 2fort, just by running around and blast people in the back. Had like 80 points after 20 minutes.

What on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    blah dustbowl. its all anyone ever wants to play. :(

egypt is such a shit map. it's not terrible, but it really is inferior to a large number of well done community maps. I dunno. it's just that this map isnt anything new and exciting, it's just a moderately popular map that came out a shitlong time ago. atleast put cashworks or freight in there. both could use some professional optimizing and tweaks and are really fun to play maps.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    People leave after Dustbowl cause they're like "Hell yeah, shit was awesome. My need for awesomeness has been satisfied for the moment." and all the other maps are just trying to be like the perfection that is Dustbowl.

Except Gravelpit. Thats a good'n too.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    WhatWhat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    People leave after Dustbowl cause they're like "Hell yeah, shit was awesome. My need for awesomeness has been satisfied for the moment." and all the other maps are just trying to be like the perfection that is Dustbowl.

Except Gravelpit. Thats a good'n too.

Dont let me EVER catch you posting like this again. YOU HEAR ME?

What on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    No guys, class A is the hardest class because it gets owned by class B, C, and D.
    egypt is such a shit map. it's not terrible, but it really is inferior to a large number of well done community maps. I dunno. it's just that this map isnt anything new and exciting, it's just a moderately popular map that came out a shitlong time ago. atleast put cashworks or freight in there. both could use some professional optimizing and tweaks and are really fun to play maps.

Cashworks is great but Freight has some horrible issues. The middle trains should always be flatbed trains because they interrupt the map flow too much (one train will come and cut 90% of your team off from the point while the other team caps). The balconies over the middle point are free points for demomen. Your team can't do shit about a good one up there and there's even a med pack up there. I'm not that good of a demo and even I can decimate people on the point from there.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    TVs_Frank wrote: »
    No guys, class A is the hardest class because it gets owned by class B, C, and D.

Cashworks is great but Freight has some horrible issues. The middle trains should always be flatbed trains because they interrupt the map flow too much (one train will come and cut 90% of your team off from the point while the other team caps). The balconies over the middle point are free points for demomen. Your team can't do shit about a good one up there and there's even a med pack up there. I'm not that good of a demo and even I can decimate people on the point from there.

Really? I honestly can't remember ever being even killed by a demo from the balconies.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    TVs_Frank wrote: »

thats what i mean. if you take the concept and add valve's expertise to it they would both be fantastic maps. cashworks' layout is on par with badwater if not better

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    what part of not making TF2 threads was so difficult to understand?

i mean seriously

do not make TF2 threads for a few days

go fucking do something else for a while

Monoxide on
This discussion has been closed.