As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You're in a computer game, Max

RichardTauberRichardTauber KvltRegistered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
So I just re-installed Max Payne and damn! It's better than almost everything else. It's a game about shooting people. I remember hearing about mods and stuff, where can I find these "mods" and which are worth playing?

RichardTauber on

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kung Fu mod GET:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UglU-ZdPM9c

Looks like you can get it from Download.com:

http://www.download.com/Max-Payne-Kung-Fu-Edition-3-0-Mod/3000-18541_4-10252364.html

For Max Payne 2, I'd recommend the Cinema 2.0 mod.

subedii on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wasn't there a Matrix vault map?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    subedii wrote: »

Does the Kung Fu mode replace guns altogether? It would just be better if I could fire a shotgun and then roundhouse kick someone in the face.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Does the Kung Fu mode replace guns altogether? It would just be better if I could fire a shotgun and then roundhouse kick someone in the face.

That's what you do.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've only played Max Payne 1 because they didn't make a Mac version of 2. Is it worth me picking up 2 now that I'm boot campin' it up?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've only played Max Payne 1 because they didn't make a Mac version of 2. Is it worth me picking up 2 now that I'm boot campin' it up?

Yes. The ragdolls alone make it worth it.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kung Fu mod GET:

[awesome vid]

http://www.download.com/Max-Payne-Kung-Fu-Edition-3-0-Mod/3000-18541_4-10252364.html

I'm actually planning to start Max Payne 2 soon, should I play it with or without that mod the first time?

Also, where can I get it?

EDIT: The Mod, that is.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Seriously, best SP mod ever

@ Ampix: Cinema changes Max's character model in-game and during the cutscenes, so it looks kinda weird when it reverts back for the comics. I went through on vanilla the first time through, then had Cinema every go afterward because hey, sometimes a slo-mo gunfight NEEDS a soundtrack.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Uh hey, spoiler alert.

UnbreakableVow on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Faffel wrote: »

That's what you do.

It basically turns it into The Matrix. Kung-Fu with guns.

rayofash on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Uh hey, spoiler alert.

Who spoiled who in the what now?

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Uh hey, spoiler alert.

Who spoiled who in the what now?

The thread title.

UnbreakableVow on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you like the first, max payne 2 is amazing. Make sure you get the cinema mod. Even amazing-er.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Quite simply, one of the best games ever made.

Damnit I want some more fucking Max Payne.

donhonk on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kung Fu mod GET:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UglU-ZdPM9c

Kung Fu mod should have been in the game from the start. That is so awesome.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • PoxPox Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ah, man, I still remember the hype for Max Payne 1. I don't think anything has ever come close to the hype that had going for it. That, and the GeForce3.

Pox on
    sig.gif
    edited February 2009
    Ampix wrote: »

I'm actually planning to start Max Payne 2 soon, should I play it with or without that mod the first time?

Also, where can I get it?

EDIT: The Mod, that is.

I'd say without it first time, for the reasons Johnny Chopsocky already gave. Plus you'll only really notice or appreciate the minor changes when you've played through once. Not sure I'm as big a fan of the music during bullet time, but the rest of the changes (particularly weapon re-balancing) felt better for me.

Anyway, looks like you can download it from Sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cinema

subedii on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is there a Kung Fu mod for 2?

projectmayhem on
    edited February 2009

There was but it wasn't done by the same guy, and was a bit unwieldy to play with. It wasn't really as good as the version made for Max Payne 1, which is a huge shame.

subedii on
    edited February 2009

google is neat

:mrgreen:

apparently not great

donhonk on
    edited February 2009

Sadly, no. And I do mean SADLY, because that game with its ragdolls and enhanced bullet-time not having a genuine Kung-Fu mod is a goddamn tragedy.

EDIT: Oh shit, nevermind. I SHALL INSTALL IT NOW. Shame it's not the same guy, though.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Much like the question regarding max pain 2, would you guys recommend playing the first game vanilla the first time, or with the kung fu mod? Thinking of picking this up off steam.

Kris on
  • WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Max Payne 2 never really had the mod community that 1 did, which is a shame cause it was awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jKFZmFKmrE&feature=related

Wibod on
    edited February 2009
    Its sad too, Max Payne 2 in my opinion, was the better game.

But shit, check this out, Mona the Assassin mod, it looks FANTASTIC. Downloading now.

donhonk on
  • WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWVoFs03d3U&feature=related

Ninjas in Max Payne? It's more common than you think!

Wibod on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That Tenchu mod actually looks pretty bad minus the slow-mo throwing knife kills.

edit: holy shit, he just kicked a dude's head off O_o

Impersonator on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Faffel wrote: »

Yes. The ragdolls alone make it worth it.

Which is funny, since the ragdolls are more than likely the reason it didn't get ported as well.

(Fucking Havok...)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Favorite game up in here! I love Max.

SithDrummer on
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Max Payne 1 - Great story. Loved the setting. Game was a kick in the head.

Max Payne 2 - Great game. Good story. I liked the story from the first better, but still enjoyed the second. Better setpieces, settings, and game engine. All around, a better polished game.

Max Payne 3 - So Freaking Want.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I love both Max Paynes but the story of the second is much better than the first.

tofu on
    edited February 2009
    Why can't max be happy? :(

SithDrummer on
    edited February 2009
    The end of the second is satisfying, I hope they don't make a third to be honest.

They can only go downhill.

tofu on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Max Payne was an awesome game. It was something so new at the time. Back when I played it I don't think any of these mods even existed, though.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
    edited February 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    I love both Max Paynes but the story of the second is much better than the first.

For me, the setting with the referrences to Norse mythology and all that in the first game was a stellar piece of storytelling. It seemed to fit and wasn't hammered on too hard, I thought. I found that it drew me in pretty severe. From the first stage in Max's house, I was hooked and drawn in. Nothing was going to stay Max's (my) righteous vengeance.

The second, while I liked the story, didn't have that complete package. It felt too much like it was trying to wrap it all up. Like they knew they had to tie everything together and made some odd story choices. That was my impression. Plus, adding in a happy ending seemed kind of...odd. Of course, I'm not sure which of the two endings is supposed to be canon.

That stated, I did enjoy the second game's plot, it's just that I enjoyed the first more. Could be due to it being the first glimpse into the world of Max Payne, sure, but I really felt the crafting of the first was better. The second, however, had better gameplay and the dream sequences weren't as freaking annoying. Those were definitely done better the second time around.

Marikir on
    edited February 2009
    The first ending is much better and is canon, the secret "good" ending is just an easter egg.

Also, you didn't think they hammered the Norse mythology too hard? :P

tofu on
    edited February 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    The first ending is much better and is canon, the secret "good" ending is just an easter egg.

Also, you didn't think they hammered the Norse mythology too hard? :P

In the first one? Nope. It was decoration and did influence the design, sure. But that made the whole thing seem more consistant to me. It used names, places, and other things. It wasn't "OMG NORSE!!!!" like other games I've seen. To me, it was more of a unifying theme than a "must shoehorn in Viking legends."

Marikir on
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Equilibrium Mod for 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=543Yzu2Xg_Y&feature=related

This mod was my favorite Max Payne mod. I could spend hours just playing that hallway level. It gives you crazy moves like Christian Bale does in Equilibrium. The gun play is fantastic.

http://hom.paynereactor.com/news.html

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I beat the original Max Payne back in the day, but I had never tried the second one. I just downloaded the demo for Max Payne 2 and it's awesome, but what happened to Max's face? It looks normal now. Why doesn't it look he sucked a lemon anymore? :(

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    First the Dark Messiah LP made me dig that out. Now this thread is making me look at MP2 on my shelf and think long and hard.

Curse you and your temptations. I have new stuff to play.

I always thought Max look constipated.. but slightly happy about being so.

Payne.jpg

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
    edited February 2009
    You can knock out MP2 in four hours of play, so do it.

SithDrummer on