As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lost Planet 2... As DLC!

VaregaVarega Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
Megaman creator and Lost Planet creator Keiji Inafune released a trailer on XBox Live on February 23, 2009. It's about Lost Planet 2, but it seems that it's going to be a downloadable game. Here's the japanese trailer, my googlefu skills today are kinda weak.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unrJz_TQ1_M

First things first, I am totally excited. I loved Lost Planet, it had a very exciting combat system mixed with a decent amount of tactical skill. Adding to the fact that now the whole world has changed enough to allow Jungles, Water maps, and of course, snow.

The game wasn't really received too positively around here, but it's a solid game with solid design choices. I mean, you can get into a mech (called a Vital Suit in game), fire a ton of shit, abandon it, and then scale walls to capture objectives. The controls were a little clunky, but it's a ton of fun.

So guys, excited or not? Discuss!

League of Legends:Varega
Varega on

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    [strike]Damn, I can't pirate this.[/strike] It looks gorgeous. I never really liked the first due to it's constant whiteness.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If it's downloadable only i wont be playing it. Unfortunately. I'm not dishing out the obscene amount of money MS wants for their HDD's. It does look pretty great though, and i really liked the original.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I remember playing the demo way back in the day and saying I'll add that to the list when it goes for under $20 ... but is there any reason to pay twice the price used for Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies Edition?

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Who said it was DLC? Source?

Renzo on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If it hits PC at some point, I will grab it.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    VGChampionVGChampion Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Looks cool. As long as it doesn't end like the first one.

I may have to get it for PS3 if available if it's dlc only as my 360 HDD is getting pretty full these days. Still using my trusty 20GB one.

VGChampion on
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bah, I fucked up. I misread the entry for the video, which states the video is DLC, not the game. it's using a newly modified engine anyway.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I loved the first one. The boss fights were epic and post grab multiplayer portion was a lot of fun as well. Where does it say it's DLC? MS doesn't allow full game downloads that I'm aware of and I doubt anyone would want to release one given that MS takes a huge cut on downloadable games.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Okay, so it is a disc release. Cool.

Mmmm, 4-player co-op vs. giant bugs

Renzo on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I still play Colonies online so I'll probably check this out. I'm a sucker for shooting giant bugs.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    toolberttoolbert Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I enjoyed the first one a whole bunch, so looks like this one's going to be a day 1 purchase.

toolbert on
  • Options
    LoxleyLoxley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wasn't too big of a fan of the first game, but the footage they showed looked pretty damn cool; definitely grabbed my interest.

Loxley on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Renzo wrote: »

Let us not forget the last game that got hyped for having 4-player co-op and failed to deliver on any other part of the "fun" equation.
    BOOSH

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's like.. Monster Hunter plus Lost Planet.

PLEASE LET ME CARVE UP ALIENS AND MAKE NEW STUFF

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    toolbert wrote: »
    I enjoyed the first one a whole bunch, so looks like this one's going to be a day 1 purchase.

This. You know I never did any multiplayer with the first one... I wonder if I should dust my copy off and check it out. This trailer looks really great though.

corin7 on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Misleading thread title is misleading.

;)

I only ever played the demo of LP before. It was a lot of fun, looked good, but it seemed kind of generic. I'll give it another shot eventually.

Fawst on
  • Options
    NovembersChopinNovembersChopin Las VegasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    corin7 wrote: »
    toolbert wrote: »

This. You know I never did any multiplayer with the first one... I wonder if I should dust my copy off and check it out. This trailer looks really great though.

I never finished the SP in the first one...all I did was play the MP.

Co-op + More multiplayer goodness = Sold

NovembersChopin on
  • Options
    Ain SophAin Soph Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This game had some horrible design choices. Random stunning and knockdown from weapons fire? BAD.
    Random grenade loadout that feature some terribly useless grenades in a game that is a huge grenade tossing fest? BAD.
    Awful lighting system that half blinds you and blurs your screen from an explosion on the other side of the of the map, out of your line of sight, and in a position for real photons from the explosion to actually reach your eyes if the situation were transposed to real life? BAD.
    Insta-kill homing weapons that travel through soid walls? BAD
    Having a game mechanic of rolling and dodging that makes you temporarily invincible to counteract said insta-kill homing weapons? BAD

I could go on. But, you get the point.

Ain Soph on
    :whistle:
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, hopefully they'll fix those.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but definitely waiting for word of mouth when it gets released before considering buying it.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    Ain SophAin Soph Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well It looks like the exact same engine, so I doubt anything will be fixed. From the trailer you can see it still has the same ultra shit fuck my eyes are bleeding lighting system.

Ain Soph on
    :whistle:
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ain Soph wrote: »
    Well It looks like the exact same engine, so I doubt anything will be fixed. From the trailer you can see it still has the same ultra shit fuck my eyes are bleeding lighting system.

It's also the same engine that was used for Resident Evil and Dead Rising, so anything could change.

Renzo on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    dude looks like tay zonday

tayzonday.jpg

donhonk on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    oh my god

the recognition was there, but I didn't make the connection. he's a japanese Tay Zonday.

holy shiiiit

Renzo on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Capcom is onto something like a motherfucker.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Zilla360 on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The thread title should probably be changed considering its confirmed it will indeed not be DLC (Thank god.).

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Wierd FisherWierd Fisher Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    Does anyone know if the Colonies Edition of the first Lost planet is still seeing much action on live. Was thinking of getting it but want to make sure i'll be able to get a game.

Cheers for any help

Wierd Fisher on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Renzo wrote: »

Let us not forget the last game that got hyped for having 4-player co-op and failed to deliver on any other part of the "fun" equation.
    BOOSH

let's also not forget that was a company that went under for overhyping a mediocre game. Let's also not forget at how much ass capcom is kicking at the moment. . . it seems anything they produce is made of pure gold and win.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I liked the idea of the first one but the levels were too long and the checkpoints too spread apart for me.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Does anyone know if the Colonies Edition of the first Lost planet is still seeing much action on live. Was thinking of getting it but want to make sure i'll be able to get a game.

Cheers for any help

I always see the Japanese playing it online. There's usually a few 16 player matches available.

Turkey on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I liked the first game apart from the stunning/knockdown which made some sections damned difficult and multiplayer a bit irritating. Plus I never really worked out the "damage system" in multiplayer - all the guns seemed to affect health bars in totally random and uncontrollable ways, so I could never work out when myself or an opponent was about to drop dead, it just felt totally random during heavy shoot-outs.

Having said that, I loved the mechs and grapple hook. The constant energy-drip was okay but not always fun. Some of the bosses were awesome while others were a pain in the arse. The graphics were cool though, even the OTT effects.

I even beat LP1 on stupid-hard mode, surprisingly. So overall I found the original an enjoyable but highly flawed game, which could have been amazing with a few tweaks.

Other important thing is, at the moment this sequel resembles the closest-looking thing we'll get to EDF2017 with Live co-op vs hordes of giant bugs and uber-bosses. Which would be something I'd be all over.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Multiplayer in the Colonies edition was ten kinds of awesome. I still play it weekly, though the number of MP players is way down now. I'lll probably pick this up if it has that mode in it at release.

Bug Hunt mode was fucking awesome too. It pitted an entire team of human players against about three human controlled Akrid. The Akrid were randomly chosen for each Akrid player, and, sometimes, they'd be boss sized and boss levels of powerful. The Akrid were massively powerful and could one hit kill any human that was on foot. The humans had the advantage of maneuverability, but not speed. Their advantage was that they could fit into small underground/indoor spaces, like the supply tunnels, and could ride VS's to even the odds. Though, the Scorpion Akrid could do that crazy tail extend thing to swipe people in tunnels it couldn't get into if it could see them.

But goddamn did that mode have some awesome moments that made you feel like an ant, scampering around like a total pussy trying to avoid a hideous death, to a total badass a few minutes later, like grappling to stay ahead of the one hit kill attacks while climbing the tower that was in the center of the giant snow-field map from the intro/trailer, reaching the top while four of your buddies on the ground pelted the massive Godzilla sized monster behind you with machine gun fire, grabbing the giant laser cannon, then leaping off at the last second, avoiding the giant death scythe of the thing by an inch as it roars in rage, then turning around and unleashing hell on the tower itself while two more buddies flew past in VS's, unloading dozens of rocket blasts that'd blind you from the size and ferocity of the explosions.

So going to have to get this.

Edit: Bug Hunt on a jungle map would be freaking awesome. It'd pretty much be Predator: Giant Bugs edition if the Akrid played it right.

Archonex on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If it's on the PC version I'll get it.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz