As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I am a BIG MAN, Yes I am, and I've got TWO Big Guns!

• Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Only if I can sketch you in the nude later.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And then you can watch me stand up on my toes, and then we'll steam up the windows of a car by doing naughty things.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    oh man on top of making the volleyball team they are going to make me a coach as well, of one of the lower-division teams

oh shit

they're gonna pay for all my club-related expenses and also for training in being a coach

oh shit

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Congratulations, Viv!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    the wook wrote: »
    i have a new favorite shoulder girdle stretch too

standing just inside a power rack, reach back over your shoulders by rotating your scapulae upward. grab each side of the rack at a level even with your head, with your hands on the outside of the bars, palms facing in, thumbs down. reach all the way around so your fingers are on the backside of the bars. maintaining this hold, lower your whole body forward until you feel a stretch across your entire shoulder girdle.

Is there a name and/or illustration to go along with this?

The Upward Spiraling Pigtail

the wook on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    wook, what's the deal if i put my index finger just outside the smooth ring on bench press?

i mean, is there any real benefit to having it out that wide?

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    overhead squats are going to beef up my shoulders I think...assuming I don't inadvertently rip off an arm while doing them.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    you shouldn't, because you shouldn't be using that much weight.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    xeroismygodxeroismygod Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    oh man on top of making the volleyball team they are going to make me a coach as well, of one of the lower-division teams

oh shit

they're gonna pay for all my club-related expenses and also for training in being a coach

oh shit

This is amazing, I think you will be pleasantly surprised how much more you will grow as a player from coaching as opposed to just training with your high level team.

xeroismygod on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Vivixenne wrote: »

oh shit

oh shit

This is amazing, I think you will be pleasantly surprised how much more you will grow as a player from coaching as opposed to just training with your high level team.

That is cool Viv. Well done. 8-)

Coach Viv: Ball Buster.

(volleyball)

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    wook, what's the deal if i put my index finger just outside the smooth ring on bench press?

that's where i typically place my hands.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thats a dream come true to get paid to do what you love Viv, congrats!

I've been busy as hell lately which means less time here but I've figured out how I'm going to finance my training next year. I'm going to go back as a graduate assistant, which nets me usage of all of the facilities, a paycheck and 8 free credits per semester while I work on a second undergrad.

Its either this or I'm moving down south where its warmer and finding a local high school track to train on year round.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

i figured it'd be the best place to get the best chest workout.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

i figured it'd be the best place to get the best chest workout.

my lifting partner has his hands much closer in. i never really gave it much thought, it just seemed the most natural spot.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Any benefit to incline bench press?
    My bench is really bad, and has been for a while; I'm hoping there's something I can do differently that will allow me to improve.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    BranuBranu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    For some reason my bench skyrocketed when I started doing dips. Plus they are fun as hell.

Branu on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    celandine wrote: »
    Any benefit to incline bench press?
    My bench is really bad, and has been for a while; I'm hoping there's something I can do differently that will allow me to improve.

Hits the clavicular head of your pectoral most effectively. Is your bench stuck or something? Incline bench might help you if you're stalled but I'd switch to dumbbell press or flies before doing incline.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, it's stalled. I'll try the DB press and flies for now.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I SECOND THE MOTION FOR DB PRESSES IN ORDER TO IMPROVE BENCH PRESS.

(it really helps me a lot, you see)

I think I need to up the calories I'm eating, at least the carbs. I've been feeling way too tired by 10 pm and getting a lot of head aches. I think I cut the calories a little too much this time around. Breakfast right now is a 4 egg omelet, oatmeal with milk, an apple, and green tea. Haven't had an omelet in a long time, and it tastes awesome.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'll third that motion for DB presses.

After a 3-4 week cycle of them, when you go back to a bar it will feel much more stable and a shitload easier.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I SECOND THE MOTION FOR JYARDANA'S THIRD MOTION OF DB PRESSES.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

it depends if the elbow tracks the movement. if your elbows stay beneath your wrists, it shifts emphasis. as your grip widens, the range of elbow extension decreases, the range of shoulder flexion decreases, and the range of shoulder transverse flexion increases. in terms of muscular involvment, the triceps are worked less, the deltoids are worked less, and the sternal heads of the pecs are worked more. i don't know what it does to activation of the clavicular head, as that head is functional in both flexion and transverse flexion of the shoulder.

as your grip widens and the humerus becomes more perpendicular to the torso, there is also increased likelihood of shoulder impingement.

the wook on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    as your grip widens and the humerus becomes more perpendicular to the torso, there is also increased likelihood of shoulder impingement.

You know, this advice would have come in handy right after I hit puberty.

I ate my first can of tuna straight last night, fork in hand, fresh from a workout. And you know what? I liked it.

Peen on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

You know, this advice would have come in handy right after I hit puberty.

I ate my first can of tuna straight last night, fork in hand, fresh from a workout. And you know what? I liked it.

You sicko.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    you liked it
    that is gross

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh please, I'm sure we've all eaten our fair share of fish.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    i've eaten tuna out of the can

but i didn't enjoy it

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I always liked tuna out of the can, actually.

And thanks for the advice on DB benches. I'm really pitiful at the moment, but then again I'm trying to reverse a lifetime of avoiding pushups at all costs.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    tuna out of the can tastes like cat food

not that i know what tastes like or anything...shit.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Looks like cat food too.

Gym man has got me doing Iron-cross squats and dive-bomber push-ups as part of a shoulder strengthening program. I had never heard of them before but they are pretty fun.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Leg day today. Did some of the usual bullshit but I wanted to give my knees time to heal. The bruises have finally turned that sickly yellow color so I'll go back to sumo deadlifts next time. Did squats for the first time in a billion years. I was pleasantly surprised that I did 185 without any trouble. My hips didn't even complain too much.

I also did good mornings. Didn't realize how hard those would be. I can Romanian deadlift 255 lbs but I found GMs with 145 to be challenging. Guess it has something to do with the placement of the weight.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    overhead squats are going to beef up my shoulders I think...assuming I don't inadvertently rip off an arm while doing them.

(In response to DL who warned about too much weight) I wouldn't worry too much about using too much weight in overhead squats. After all, if you have bumper plates, you can also drop the bar forward easily if the lift goes wrong. That guy who dislocated his elbow at the olympics could have just let it drop safely - he got hurt because he was trying to save a lift that wasn't there. Heavy overhead squats are a lot of fun and a great workout. I'm working toward a bodyweight overhead squat now - still a ways off, but it's such an mentally intense lift I think I will enjoy the progression.

big l on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    big l wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    That guy who dislocated his elbow at the olympics could have just let it drop safely - he got hurt because he was trying to save a lift that wasn't there.

He had to fit within a weight class, which allows for suboptimal performance while requiring maximum weights lifted. Fortunately we don't have that problem.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I've been really sick for the past few days. My focus, exercise and diet has gone to complete shit. I'm having difficulty just typing out this message.

I want to go to the gym so bad, but it might kill me.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I work out when sick but I do not suggest this. Consider this an extended rest period so that you can ensure proper nutrition and rest. Go over your routine and tweek it. Maximize your time out of the gym.

xeroismygod on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    yesterday a big man jacked friend of mine learned that i had started working out and then he felt my shoulder and was like yoo check out his (name of muscle I don't know) and i was like huh cool ?

so i guess i have a better shoulder whatever now
    it was also like 5 hrs after i did day 3 of faggot routine which probably made my shoulders all pumpedz

but still
    cool

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    also i thought it was a bit gay but it was a compliment and it is a faggot program after all so whatever

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Right on, its nice when people notice progress and the hard work you put in.

xeroismygod on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I ended up going to the gym today. It was back and calves, with 20 minutes of cardio afterwards. It was actually quite a good workout.

Now I'm going to sit down and have a cuppa tea.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Instead of going to the gym today I chopped down a tree and sawed up a 17 foot long pine branch that fell out of the neighbors tree.

Weaver on
This discussion has been closed.