As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lootin' on] Dawn of WAAAAAAAGGHHHHH (Oi! Mod gits, quit muckin about an lock dis!)

• Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Do I want to above all else keep my Iron Halo that gives me the bubble shield? Or is there something worth trading it for, like this banner I got that allows me to heal my squad mates with my rallying cry?

Since I don't use Thaddeus, I tend to like my FC with a jump pack so he can leap in while my tac squad rushes into melee. It's fairly easy to boost your FC's armor to a ridiculous degree so you have to try to get him killed.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dude why dont you just get one of us to come to your house and play the game for you.

Save you a lot of posting time. ;-)

When it comes to strategy and RPG type games I am a super anal retentive gamer.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    WoggleWoggle OheoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Do I want to above all else keep my Iron Halo that gives me the bubble shield? Or is there something worth trading it for, like this banner I got that allows me to heal my squad mates with my rallying cry?

The first commander item I got was a banner with rally, and I didn't give it up until I had to with terminator armor. At the rate it heals, it's like a bubble shield for everyone that runs out after 15-20 seconds.

Woggle on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    God imagine what that would look like on a DECENT paintjob!

You might be able to edit the replay file to give him a better paintjob..I might try that now...

rts on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Anyone of you gits wanna 3v3?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Banner > Iron Halo, by a long way

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It is the saddest thing when the avatar drops no loot.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Apart from the capes I really wouldn't notice any difference in those guys when playing. The armour upgrades were a bit pointless really. I unlocked a couple for eldar in the beta, one for guardians and one for weapon platforms and despite only ever playing eldar I couldn't see what was supposed to be different about them.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    Apart from the capes I really wouldn't notice any difference in those guys when playing. The armour upgrades were a bit pointless really. I unlocked a couple for eldar in the beta, one for guardians and one for weapon platforms and despite only ever playing eldar I couldn't see what was supposed to be different about them.

The upgrades for every army except the Space Marines are pretty half-assed, honestly. But it's not pointless. People like unlocking things, even if they're cosmetic. Grindy aesthetic unlockables are the new fad in online games.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It's pointless if you can't even notice them without zooming all the way in and having an un-upgraded version standing next to them. Also, the match making should be putting you up against people of the same level..which means if they're playing the same army their guys will still look identical.

A much better idea would be to have some colours (metallics?) and patterns (for all armies..) made available instead, and for items have a selection that you can choose to equip on the army painter (the same way as in campaign), but their modification is only cosmetic.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Match making puts people of the same trueskill together, not rank. You can lose a billion games, have a trueskill of one, and be rank 60.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Some of the Space Marine stuff is obvious even at regular view but most of the other race's stuff isn't really noticeable.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Pancake wrote: »

The upgrades for every army except the Space Marines are pretty half-assed, honestly. But it's not pointless. People like unlocking things, even if they're cosmetic. Grindy aesthetic unlockables are the new fad in online games.

Haha yeah, another reason I kind of want to play space marines. Customizing orks is the dumbest thing. Understandably you can't edit their skin colors, but you cant change their helmets, their shoulder pads(though the shoulders on heroes do change), or even their pants....its kind of ridiculous. Combine that with units that look pretty much the same after ranking up and its a little depressing.

rts on
  • Options
    CroakCroak Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What the hell Croak. You said there wasn't a cape.

I said I'd get back to you on that...:)

Croak on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Also, someone come 1v1 me.

rts on
  • Options
    WoggleWoggle OheoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Akira wrote: »
    Some of the Space Marine stuff is obvious even at regular view but most of the other race's stuff isn't really noticeable.

I assume you're talking about the capes.

Dammit, if scouts can have capes, hormagaunts should get them too.
    Or carnifexes. :rotate:

Woggle on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Woggle wrote: »

What do tyranids get, anyway? I wouldn't think there would be much room for aesthetic upgrades, being all chitinous and such.

Not that tyranid players deserve unlocks.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Hey croak, on the last level of campaign
    your extra 3 guys don't get a display on the sidebar (although they are still hot keyed), is that intentional or an oversight or what? It's really hard keeping track of 7 squads when 3 of them require you to select them to see their health.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Orks should get capes they took off dead space marines. In fact, all their wargear should be miscellaneous bits looted from other races.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Woggle wrote: »

What do tyranids get, anyway? I wouldn't think there would be much room for aesthetic upgrades, being all chitinous and such.

Not that tyranid players deserve unlocks.

They get like different carapace patterns, it's actually kind of neat but you need to get pretty high for it to be noticeable.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I would have thought they would get spikey bits.

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FYY139Z5

Nids players CAN get angry! Watch for effective ways of dealing with nasty bugsies as SM. One ravener alpha and three warrior broods included!

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    CroakCroak Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey croak, on the last level of campaign
    your extra 3 guys don't get a display on the sidebar (although they are still hot keyed), is that intentional or an oversight or what? It's really hard keeping track of 7 squads when 3 of them require you to select them to see their health.

I can fix it in the script so you get five tabs, but the UI doesn't support more than that at the moment.

Croak on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Croak, urgent question:
    When you're playing Orks in Multiplayer, sometimes the Ork "helper" grot will say, "Uh.... don't rely on that infantry (something - Oaf? Oap? Nope?)..."

I have been wondering what it is he is saying, and what prompts him to say that because I hear it fairly often, and I don't think it's when my boyz are dying.
    I'll hear it even when I'm not fighting.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Make the Orks silly again dammit. Also, more voice acting in general!

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

They aren't silly now? I haven't played them, but they've seemed pretty silly playing against them and watching them in replays. At least compared to the other races.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    CanisAquilusCanisAquilus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FYY139Z5

Nids players CAN get angry! Watch for effective ways of dealing with nasty bugsies as SM. One ravener alpha and three warrior broods included!

Is he any good?

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    No his ravener play was shit and my FC bugged and died once. The fundamentals still exist.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Eight looted Tanks + Cult of Speed = Hilarity

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    It's not pointless, it's for replays! Replays in Relic games are amazing to watch, almost, if not more fun in some cases, than actually playing the game.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G7M1JQ9B

SM replays. Only four in there right now. TS ranges from 25-32. Have at it!

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Kinder how about you get shot in the dick by my scout snipers.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Solo games are just so...I don't know. It's like some kind of dance. Lots of give and take and really good use of tactics with just one or two squads at a time. It flows so well, with map control shifting all over the place (I regularly start at the bottom of the map and shift all of my control to the top).

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Solo games are just so...I don't know. It's like some kind of dance. Lots of give and take and really good use of tactics with just one or two squads at a time. It flows so well, with map control shifting all over the place (I regularly start at the bottom of the map and shift all of my control to the top).

I think you mean it's musical chairs and it's lame.

(This is going to make no sense unless you've read the last four threads from front-to-back, so don't worry about it; just roll with the joke.)

admanb on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Goomba wrote: »
    It's not pointless, it's for replays! Replays in Relic games are amazing to watch, almost, if not more fun in some cases, than actually playing the game.

I really do think that the games being so watchable is one of the things that really makes Relic's games so different and better than other RTSs.

Even if you have no idea what's going on and have no grasp of the game's strategies or mechanics, their games are still completely watchable and exciting and visceral. It's never just masses of units standing in the open shooting at eachother until one side completely falls over or explodes. It's full of movement and impressive visual effects and environmental damage, creating a dynamic visual presentation that actually effects the gameplay and helps playing the game, watching the game, and watching the game while playing the game considerably.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    I really do think that the games being so watchable is one of the things that really makes Relic's games so different and better than other RTSs.

Even if you have no idea what's going on and have no grasp of the game's strategies or mechanics, their games are still completely watchable and exciting and visceral. It's never just masses of units standing in the open shooting at eachother until one side completely falls over or explodes. It's full of movement and impressive visual effects and environmental damage, creating a dynamic visual presentation that actually effects the gameplay and helps both gameplay and watchability considerably.
    The only thing they lack is rewinding. And I guess seeing the wargear, but mostly <<.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Does anyone have a link to that Eldar "Death Spinnas Bitches!" pic?

Sonork on
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

They aren't silly now? I haven't played them, but they've seemed pretty silly playing against them and watching them in replays. At least compared to the other races.

This incarnation of the Orks is my favorite one yet from any game I've played.

Playing as them is just too humorous. The gretchin who announces battlefield happenings is my favorite part <3.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Goomba wrote: »

This is sadly true, although it really might just because they're so relaxing. Nothing to worry about, no bullshit knockdown to get your blood pressure raging, just kick back and enjoy.

Perhaps I need more aesthetic distance for my games...

Corp.Shephard on