As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can an Ending Ruin/Save an Entire Game?

• Options
    LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My understanding of FFX was always this.

Zanarkand, in the final days of a losing struggle against Beville, gathers all remaining summoners to summon Sin, creating the wall of summoners.

They can't die, but are dreaming of Zanarkand as it was, the place where Jecht and Tidus came from.

Yu Yevon comes up with the whole final summon bs to control sin and get everyone involved in his stupid religion, somehow becoming the core of Sin, where the final summon becomes the actual body of sin.

Somehow, Auron busts Tidus out of that place. He's dead, who the fuck knows how he does it. They break the cycle by actually killing sin, the final aeon, and the core, finally putting the summoning wall to death.

Its been a while so bear with me but I thought that:
    Tidus became Sin. I mean, yeah they went to the core or whatever and killed him there but my understanding was that by killing it he became it.

Now that I think about it, I think I got the whole ending wrong. Fuck me, I need to play that again and understand what really happened.

Lagnar on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lagnar wrote: »

Zanarkand, in the final days of a losing struggle against Beville, gathers all remaining summoners to summon Sin, creating the wall of summoners.

They can't die, but are dreaming of Zanarkand as it was, the place where Jecht and Tidus came from.

Yu Yevon comes up with the whole final summon bs to control sin and get everyone involved in his stupid religion, somehow becoming the core of Sin, where the final summon becomes the actual body of sin.

Somehow, Auron busts Tidus out of that place. He's dead, who the fuck knows how he does it. They break the cycle by actually killing sin, the final aeon, and the core, finally putting the summoning wall to death.

Tidus became Sin. I mean, yeah they went to the core or whatever and killed him there but my understanding was that by killing it he became it.

Now that I think about it, I think I got the whole ending wrong. Fuck me, I need to play that again and understand what really happened.
    Not quite. They never went through with the ritual at Zanarkand, instead they fought Lady Yunalesca instead of doing the whole Calming thing which involved the whole final Aeon thing.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lagnar wrote: »

Not quite. They never went through with the ritual at Zanarkand, instead they fought Lady Yunalesca instead of doing the whole Calming thing which involved the whole final Aeon thing.

Ohhh awsome, thanks a bunch. Now that ive got my intrest in this again im gona look into it a whole bunch.

Lagnar on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    Final Fantasy X was barely tolerable until I got to the huge cop out of an ending, then Final Fantasy X was a terrible time sink that will never allow me to reclaim those lost hours.

I did not enjoy the story or the characterization in X and they foreshadowed the lame ending, so when I reached Sin I deleted my save and never looked back.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is there anyone here who loved everything about FFX except for the ending? I suspect that most people who say the ending is lame just hate the game as a whole.

jothki on
  • Options
    The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I can't really think of any particular reason to love the game but hate the ending; it's more or less what the story leads you to expect to happen (that is, it doesn't pull any last-second plot twists out of its arse), and it's pulled off well; at least as well as any other cutscene in the game.

The Lord of Hats on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I can't really think of any particular reason to love the game but hate the ending; it's more or less what the story leads you to expect to happen (that is, it doesn't pull any last-second plot twists out of its arse), and it's pulled off well; at least as well as any other cutscene in the game.

Yeah, the game in general just didn't do it for me.
    "ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!"
    edit: But I'll be damned if John Di Maggio's voice acting didn't almost keep me going to the end.

kedinik on
  • Options
    zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    kedinik wrote: »

"ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!"

That laugh was so bad I almost think it was on purpose.

zanmatto on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    zanmatto wrote: »

"ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!"

Pretty sure it was.
    That was the entire point. Awkward, forced laughter.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Aegof wrote: »

"ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!"

Pretty sure it was.

It's amazing how many people don't get this.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Pata wrote: »

"ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!"

Pretty sure it was.

It still sucks and doesn't fit though. That's like something genuinely sucking and people defending it as sucking on purpose while it sucked even worse than it was meant to suck. It's also hard to tell that it's forced and awkward (I'm not even convinced it is) because pretty much every jRPG cutscene is corny as all hell, and when it's badly dubbed in english, it's even more bad. So how can you blame someone that thinks it's not on purpose? It looks like standard shitty cutscene with your average shitty dubbing.

I'm sorry, but there's just no defending it, that scene was bad.

Djiem on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

"ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!"

Pretty sure it was.

It's amazing how the game failed to get it across, more like. It was a shitty scene no matter what their intention was.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Djiem wrote: »

It works perfectly fine within the context of the story.

There, I'm defending it.

It's a good scene provided you actually pay attention to the plot.

Instead of simply looking at it out of context on youtube.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited March 2009

There, I'm defending it.

Do tell, how does the plot improve this scene enough to make up for its awful production values?

Seriously, I want to hear your explanation of this.

kedinik on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

There, I'm defending it.

Do tell, how does the plot improve this scene enough to make up for its awful production values?

Seriously, I want to hear your explanation of this.

Because it doesn't have awful production values? A scene that is intended to be awkward and sort of stress relieving for the characters actually feels awkward? That does not make "awkward production values" it's called achieving what the designers wanted.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The pacing was very amateur and the voice acting sounded like every single line was recorded out of context. I do not think a reasonable person would disagree about this if they gave the scene an honest listening-to.

kedinik on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you're going to make fun of a scene in FFX, don't make fun of the laugh scene (since it accomplishes what it set out to do). Instead, make fun of the underwater make-out scene.

Back on topic, I thought FFX's ending was fine. Not one of the best RPG endings I've ever scene (Lufia 2, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, and Lunar: Eternal Blue come to mind for that), but certainly not bad.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    BlowfluBlowflu FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Not one, not ONE mention of Fallout's (the first one) ending?

Major end-game spoiler:
    You just saved the vault, destroyed the source of the mutants, and blew up the mutant leader. As you triumphantly stroll back into the vault, you are met by the overseer who tells you to fuck off. You return the favor...with bullets. Then you walk off with your dog into the wastes, to later start your own village so they can go on to worship your clothing
    THAT is how you do an ending folks.

Blowflu on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm partial to the ending of Bloodlines. All the foreshadowing was turned on its head in a clever way, and with the right choice your character walks away as an extreme badass.

kedinik on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The laughing scene may make sense within the context of the story, but it was still horribly written and acted. It didn't even sound like two people trying to force laughter, it sounded like two people making fun of people forcing laughter. Or a santa claus imitation. Regardless, it was bad.

also, Blowflu, re: the Fallout ending:
    You actually only kill the overseer if you played an evil character. Good ones just leave.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ending I liked: Illusion of Gaia. Basically during the end credits it's a flyover of all the places you've been, with everyone happy and alive and there. Plus the whole story was very well told and put together.
    Although Easter Island and the long tunnel were the low points. I still loved them though.

Worst ending: Crysis. Well, basically any game that ends with a "THIS IS SO BAD ASS WE'RE GOING TO MAKE A SEQUEL". No, just no. Basically any game with a cliffhanger is terrible. I want closure, not an excuse to fork over another $59 to complete a story that could be done in one game.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JasonR66JasonR66 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I like the Fallout 3 ending
    The entire main quest, in terms of the protagonist's father, spends a lot of time on that one bible verse "And he said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment." (REV 21.6). To end the game with the main character sacrificing himself (without payment) to give the wasteland clean water again was a cool way to tie in the biblical verse into the ending.

The Far Cry 2 ending wasn't good at all. In terms of the gameplay it made the player play through a strictly linear segment to end an open-ended game which I really didn't like. The story's end didn't even make a lot of sense. I know there was some strange rationalization but in no way did it make any sense. It felt like everything you had been doing up to that point was pointless.

JasonR66 on
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dritz wrote: »
    Personally endings can ruin games for me. The food example should be Gameplay = preparing food, ending = eating for me heh. The whole after eating thing would be waiting through credits to save for a new game+ or something.

I don't think Final Fantasy VI was mentioned enough in the category of good endings. Perhaps it's because it was the first ending I ever saw where effort was put into it (other than FFIV).

I was kind of disappointed with the bad ending of Disgaea. I can see where one would like the bittersweetness of it but it was not for me. It didn't help that the requirement to not get it was kind of arbitrary. Thankfully the new game+ mechanic made it relatively painless to go for the better ending.

I liked the 'bad' ending of Disgaea the most.

It was serious, solemn, something that underscored the rest of the game like none of the other endings did.

Granted, it was also motivation to beat it again with the 'good' ending.

Sepah on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Blowflu wrote: »
    Not one, not ONE mention of Fallout's (the first one) ending?

Major end-game spoiler:
    You just saved the vault, destroyed the source of the mutants, and blew up the mutant leader. As you triumphantly stroll back into the vault, you are met by the overseer who tells you to fuck off. You return the favor...with bullets. Then you walk off with your dog into the wastes, to later start your own village so they can go on to worship your clothing
    THAT is how you do an ending folks.

:^:

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sepah wrote: »
    Personally endings can ruin games for me. The food example should be Gameplay = preparing food, ending = eating for me heh. The whole after eating thing would be waiting through credits to save for a new game+ or something.

I don't think Final Fantasy VI was mentioned enough in the category of good endings. Perhaps it's because it was the first ending I ever saw where effort was put into it (other than FFIV).

I was kind of disappointed with the bad ending of Disgaea. I can see where one would like the bittersweetness of it but it was not for me. It didn't help that the requirement to not get it was kind of arbitrary. Thankfully the new game+ mechanic made it relatively painless to go for the better ending.

It was serious, solemn, something that underscored the rest of the game like none of the other endings did.

I liked both endings a lot. And I have a great deal of love of Disgaea, so I was able to forgive N1 for one of my biggest gaming pet peeves: the different endings were triggered by something completely random that you would have no hope of figuring out without a FAQ or guide.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    Sepah wrote: »

I liked both endings a lot. And I have a great deal of love of Disgaea, so I was able to forgive N1 for one of my biggest gaming pet peeves: the different endings were triggered by something completely random that you would have no hope of figuring out without a FAQ or guide.

They made the bad ending in Disgaea 2 much harder to get, but balanced it out by making it really, really nasty.

jothki on
  • Options
    WillybubbaWillybubba Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    JasonR66 wrote: »
    I like the Fallout 3 ending
    The entire main quest, in terms of the protagonist's father, spends a lot of time on that one bible verse "And he said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment." (REV 21.6). To end the game with the main character sacrificing himself (without payment) to give the wasteland clean water again was a cool way to tie in the biblical verse into the ending.

The Far Cry 2 ending wasn't good at all. In terms of the gameplay it made the player play through a strictly linear segment to end an open-ended game which I really didn't like. The story's end didn't even make a lot of sense. I know there was some strange rationalization but in no way did it make any sense. It felt like everything you had been doing up to that point was pointless.

Re: Fallout 3 ending.
    In itself, it wasn't really bad, no, EXCEPT FOR THE FACT YOU HAD COMPANIONS WHO COULD JUST WALK IN UNDAMAGED. The one thing they could have done to make it bearable was to lock them out of the room with a tunnel cave-in or something.

Now, great endings? Mass Effect. Sets up a sequel while still rounding off the first.

Willybubba on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    FO3's ending can be described in two words.
    Forced. Martyrdom.

To this day I have no idea how anyone at Bethesda thought the ending was anything but bad. I cannot fathom what was going through their writer's mind when he came up with this crap. The sheer size of the plot hole is incredible.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SO3'S ending was horrible, but that's not what ruined the game for me. Rather, the horrible ''twist'' 3/4 into the game did. The story took a novedise from average to the suckiest bunch of suck ever in one sequence and it never was able to recover.

FF7 ending left me thinking ''WTF'' when I first played the game, but it didnt ruined the game.

Three endings I really liked were FF6's , CT's, and Zelda's LTTP but those just made awesome games even more awesome.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Regarding Fallout 3:
    What companions? All of mine had died in battle. It was just me and Sarah. I loved the Fallout 3 ending. Serves you fuckers right for getting so hyped up on previews and press releases. That's why I don't look at anything about a game coming out; I like to be completely surprised.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The laughing scene may make sense within the context of the story, but it was still horribly written and acted. It didn't even sound like two people trying to force laughter, it sounded like two people making fun of people forcing laughter. Or a santa claus imitation. Regardless, it was bad.

also, Blowflu, re: the Fallout ending:
    You actually only kill the overseer if you played an evil character. Good ones just leave.

Well, I was a good character too....with the bloody mess perk. I'm pretty sure that's a requirement for all Fallout characters.

Blowflu on
  • Options
    mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Regarding Fallout 3:
    What companions? All of mine had died in battle. It was just me and Sarah. I loved the Fallout 3 ending. Serves you fuckers right for getting so hyped up on previews and press releases. That's why I don't look at anything about a game coming out; I like to be completely surprised.

Its NOT a point of "getting hyped" for a game, the discussion and distaste comes from poor narrative pacing.
    In a game where you are given innumerable choices to handle nearly any situation, you are given two choices.

- Die
    - Send someone else in to die

In a good playthrough I did, I had Fawkes; and if Fawkes died in a raider encounter this post would fit better in the "Doing it wrong" thread.

Fawkes, who volunteered to go through the radiated room to get the GECK for me minutes earlier, is now spouting off about how its my destiny to do this. Destiny NOTHING, Fawkes could walk in, punch in the code and chill for a bit until the radiation could be brought to manageable levels - come out, and we could all have tea.

This is INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING after how well the Tenpenny Tower and Oasis quests were put together, illustrating that there is not always a clearcut good/bad resolution - all of a sudden, if you die for the wasteland, you're a saint (No matter what your karma level) and if you don't, you're the most supreme shitbag ever for letting somebody else die in your place.

A lot of people, like you, were completely surprised; but its the same kind of surprise you get when at your birthday party, the chocolate cake is actually made of shit.

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Regarding Fallout 3:
    What? that changes NOTHING. Throughout the game you dance in and out of radiation like it's a fucking joke and suddenly it matters? Suddenly just cause it's convenient for the plot does radiation in any way stop you? Sorry, bitches, I have an inventory full of rad-away and a super radiation suit. There is no (no) reason I can't walk in there, have a leisurely tea followed by a couple of chapters of War & Peace before finally switching that shit off, stepping out and high-fiving Sara. If radiation is such a bad thing you might wanna, oh I dunno, actually make it dangerious in the other 99.9% of the game.

The ending being bad has nothing to do with hype. It has to do with linearity, bad writing and a massive plot hole.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Regarding Fallout 3:

Its NOT a point of "getting hyped" for a game, the discussion and distaste comes from poor narrative pacing.
    In a game where you are given innumerable choices to handle nearly any situation, you are given two choices.

- Die
    - Send someone else in to die

In a good playthrough I did, I had Fawkes; and if Fawkes died in a raider encounter this post would fit better in the "Doing it wrong" thread.

Fawkes, who volunteered to go through the radiated room to get the GECK for me minutes earlier, is now spouting off about how its my destiny to do this. Destiny NOTHING, Fawkes could walk in, punch in the code and chill for a bit until the radiation could be brought to manageable levels - come out, and we could all have tea.

This is INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING after how well the Tenpenny Tower and Oasis quests were put together, illustrating that there is not always a clearcut good/bad resolution - all of a sudden, if you die for the wasteland, you're a saint (No matter what your karma level) and if you don't, you're the most supreme shitbag ever for letting somebody else die in your place.

A lot of people, like you, were completely surprised; but its the same kind of surprise you get when at your birthday party, the chocolate cake is actually made of shit.

For me, Fallout 3's ending didn't totally ruin the game. However, it knocked the game down a notch from fantastic to just very, very good.

Here's how I would have done it (endgame spoiler):
    Make it like Fallout 1. Getting the GECK should NOT have lead to the capture of your character. Instead, they should have let you take it to the Memorial and fight your way through the Enclave with the robot n' shit. Send Fawkes in or yourself, but make it so you'd die quick if you didn't have enough Rad-X/Rad-Away. THEN make the last mission the one where you bust into the Enclave HQ with guns-a-blaze. Meeting with President Eden would have been so much cooler in this way. Plus, they could have had a better ending that could have let you fart around after the game was over.

Ha...when I put it this way, it sounds exactly like Fallout 1's endgame.

Blowflu on
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    No mention of the Gears of War 2 ending? Maybe it was just me that was ohhhhh so disappointed.

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    WillybubbaWillybubba Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The Gow2 ending in and of itself wasn't too bad. The last boss was tho'. WAY easy.

Willybubba on
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    the ending to assassins creed pissed me off

it wasnt even a cliff hanger it just.. ended.

tugga on
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Willybubba wrote: »
    The Gow2 ending in and of itself wasn't too bad. The last boss was tho'. WAY easy.

I am unsure if the boss was specifically made too easy because the boss from gow was just that much harder than it should have been. The combination of the story not really progressing (ohh the locusts are having a civil war, the queen, the squires, etc at the lost bunker i was sure they were going to do a firefly and zmog we totally created the locusts).

However the combination of the entire last lvl/wtf is going on in the storyline really limits my desire to do anything else with the franchise.

Additionally Ill throw out the ending of the Force Unleashed was complete and utter garbage, im excited what can be done with the engine but if lucas is going to declare his games to be canon and insist on meddling with the story, it makes me think the stories are going to suuuuck (im sorry if this was obvious to everyone else before it came out, im a little slow sometimes).

However after how poor the ending was for saints row, I have to say im quite pleased with how saints row II finished up, not exactly an instant classic but a very nice upgrade from the original. Im trying to think of anything else from the past year that ive played that ended better and am drawing a bit of a blank.

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    In games like Gears of War, I hate boss fights. I thought "boss fights" were one of the most idiotic "additions" to Halo 2 since the normal rules of combat don't apply to these guys. All the other grunts, a sniper round to the face means they die. For a boss fight, you hammer away at an invisible health bar.

I thought Gears of War II's boss fights were, in general, much superior to the end boss of the original. The bosses were either big hulking monstrosities which logically required more than a single bullet to face to kill or so friggin' fast that hitting the guy was almost entirely out of the question. I vastly preferred the massive setpiece approach to boss fights than constantly shooting Locust commander repeatedly until he died.

Of course, that end sequence could still have been a bit more challenging, though.

And hell yes was the ending to Saint' Row II awesome. The original game's ending was awful, but SRII's ending was epic. You find out this one guy has been pushing at things behind the scenes to make things better for himself, so
    you steal a assault chopper, blow the hell out of a building worth tens of millions of dollars, storm said building, find the guy in his office, and while he's sniveling you shoot him in the mouth. After his body goes tumbling down the side of the building, you fly off into the sunset in your shiny new helicopter.
    For me, the ending to SRII was actually so good that it made me outright pissed that all GTAIV gives you is a lesson in just how stupid Niko is. My first thought was "I bought GTAIV and rented this? What a poor choice." SRII didn't ruin GTAIV for me, but it sure helped out.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Regarding Fallout 3:
    Yeah, I always get hyped about games that remains consistent in what their rules are. What a drag, I know.

SithDrummer on