As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Interesting sights to see in Omaha?

FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
A friend and I were talking about doing something for spring break, obviously on the cheap side. Considering we live in Iowa and have heard the Omaha Zoo is fun, we decided we'd go to that. However, we'll probably go early one morning and book a hotel overnight. Are there any other interesting things to see in Omaha to pad the time elsewhere?

do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
Faynor on

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Having lived there for most of my childhood... The only good things I remember were the Zoo and the baseball stadium (coincidentally I think they are right next to each other, but I don't fully remember). Will there be alcohol drinking? I'm sure that will be important for us to help you. :)

urahonky on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh, forgot to mention that. Probably not.

Faynor on
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey, I lived there up until college too. The zoo is awesome and has an IMAX theater. The Old Market is fun to walk around, especially in the springtime (the Upstream is a good place to pop in for lunch / microbrew beers). There's a decent riverwalk right by there too. There aren't really any good museums or anything like that. Plenty of bars and restaurants though.

To be honest, the zoo can fill up an entire day. If you want to see everything plus catch a movie you can easily spend 10 hours there. It's freaking huge.

zilo on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah do the zoo and the IMAX and you'll be happy. It's pretty awesome for how much it costs.

urahonky on
  • Superzero115Superzero115 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Depending on when you are going to go, you could hit up a local concert at Sokol Underground on 13th. Price of admission is usually pretty cheap. Friday and Saturday nights at the Dundee Theater usually plays some cult classic movies, until recently it was fun just to shout at the screen.

Depending on where you were thinking of staying, there could be some things to do further west of downtown, but it would be a bit of a drive from the zoo.

Superzero115 on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I live in Council Bluffs, work in Omaha, and I don't think there's much to do here besides meet up with other forumers and have dinner and chat about games, or whatnot. The lack of options presented doesn't represent an incomplete answer, it's evidence of a boring city, unfortunately.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • SideAffectsSideAffects Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just passed through Omaha over Thanksgiving. We spent almost a whole day at the zoo. The desert and rainforest zones were amazing. The gorilla playground is pretty cool, and the big cats exhibit is fun pretty awesome. The aquarium wasn't bad either. If you walk back by the huge koi pond, you'll see more prairie dogs than people by the picnic areas :).

The black-footed cat was my favorite animal there :) My <3 was melting...it was pathetic

SideAffects on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thanks for all the input!

Faynor on