As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Advice: The Twice and Future Computer Thread

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have a problem!

My desktop is misbehaving. When I try to open an .exe file, the cursor will 'hourglass' for a second, but the program will not open.

No error message, nothing.

Also odd, I try to ctrl+alt+delete, and I get a message that the admin has disabled task manager. I'm the admin.

When I try to run Spybot S&D, it goes ok for a time, then bluescreens and reboots too fast to read the error.

Thanks for the help.

TL DR on
  • Options
    splashsplash Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oy. What a ridiculous problem to be having setting up my first assembled PC. I want to power-up but I'm delaying because I can't setup the stand for my HP w2007 monitor correctly. It has a moveable C curve piece coming out from the back of the monitor that attaches to a metal stand. See picture. In the instructions all it says to do is while the monitor is laying flat on the ground lift the C curve up so that the metal stand will be flat once on the desk. All I can move it up is about 1 inch, then it stops and it feels like it's going to break if I can any further.

The result is that the monitor screen will be pointing down at probably a 45 degree angle. I looked at reviews and no one mentions any similar problem. I hope by chance anyone that knows the HPw2007 can offer advice.

Also, thank you to people earlier in this thread who gave advice about installing software, that's next for me.

splash on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    oooo, painful. everything came but the new video card, expected to arrive thursday.

I put it almost completely together besides that. also avoided putting in the processor as I want to be clear-headed for that, leave it for its own day, and also didn't move over my dvdrom and hard drives. maybe it will come a day early :D.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I setup a computer for one of my neighbors that had an identical monitor, probably a difference size though, but same bezel design. It just snapped into place and the stand moved up and down. It was rather stiff, but it moved. Did you try moving the hinge without it being connected to the monitor?

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    splashsplash Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hmm, with or without connecting the attacheable metal stand, when I try to align the neck it becomes super stiff (in the same spot) and I'm not even halfway to where it's supposed to be. If I try to go further it sounds like the whole monitor will break. I should unscrew the neck part away and then adjust, to be safe?

splash on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, I finally managed to get Windows XP installed fully. I decided to stop there and not install Vista (not that I could, anyway, since it still wouldn't open), since I was told there was no real benefit to having it currently. Now comes the process of downloading and moving all my programs and files.

That said, I will continue asking questions here and there. For instance:

1. Previously on Firefox, I had my bookmark folders all appear underneath the address bar. I managed to import my old bookmarks, but they're now under a folder in the bookmarks tab. What can I do to get it the way it was before?

2. This time my PC now has ports for VGA, HDMI, and DVI. Which one should I stick to when hooking my PC up to my TV? I would imagine HDMI would be the better choice, especially since I shouldn't have to plug the audio separately.

3. I asked this before, but is there a way to have my PC display on both my PC monitor and TV, but with different resolutions for both? The graphics card manual kind of makes it sound like this is possible, but I'd like some advice to quickly tinker with it.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    fucking heatsinks are a pain in the ass :D. spent about 20 minutes trying to get the arctic cooling one in, finally gave up, and the packed in intel one went right on. good enough for me.

at one point if I plug this thing in should it power up? I tried last night and got no response but there was not yet a processor in and nothing plugged into power except the two mobo plugs... I just want to make sure all the front button things are in right asap.

Variable on
  • Options
    prawnstar69prawnstar69 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    fucking heatsinks are a pain in the ass :D. spent about 20 minutes trying to get the arctic cooling one in, finally gave up, and the packed in intel one went right on. good enough for me.

at one point if I plug this thing in should it power up? I tried last night and got no response but there was not yet a processor in and nothing plugged into power except the two mobo plugs... I just want to make sure all the front button things are in right asap.

I was quite impressed with my stock AMD AM2 heatsink, instead of my old Socket A one where you risk it all trying to wrench it on with a screwdriver. This one came with a little lever you flip over to tighten it all up once you position it in the right place.

Um, I guess it should load up, if there's no graphics card / RAM it won't POST properly. I don't really recommend powering anything up until you have all the bits in. Unless you're trying to diagnose a fault.

Just stick to the motherboard manual about case wires and you'll be fine and remember the black wire on each 'clip' is always negative.

prawnstar69 on
    Bana84.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'm sure I can't have cause any damage by doing so, but before making that post I had plugged it in and got no reaction. being as not everything is in there and wired up (and it's a modular psu so it's really only got half it's plugs in anyway) nothing happened. I really should have asked if that's normal instead of asking in the roundabout way I did.

thanks though. I'm not gonna actually be worried unless it gives me the same non-response once everything is wired up and ready... which should be tomorrow night.

Variable on
  • Options
    TankTank Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just got my new laptop with Vista OS. Where can I find tips on making Vista run/bootup faster?

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Tip #1 Vista gets better over time. Like fine wine. Also take off stuff that the computer makers thins you need but you know you don't.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Tank wrote: »
    I just got my new laptop with Vista OS. Where can I find tips on making Vista run/bootup faster?

Uninstall all the useless crapware/trialware that came with your laptop.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Does anyone know a decent analog tuner that works well with Linux and doesn't cost a whole lot?

Jragghen on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, I finally managed to get Windows XP installed fully. I decided to stop there and not install Vista (not that I could, anyway, since it still wouldn't open), since I was told there was no real benefit to having it currently. Now comes the process of downloading and moving all my programs and files.

That said, I will continue asking questions here and there. For instance:

1. Previously on Firefox, I had my bookmark folders all appear underneath the address bar. I managed to import my old bookmarks, but they're now under a folder in the bookmarks tab. What can I do to get it the way it was before?

2. This time my PC now has ports for VGA, HDMI, and DVI. Which one should I stick to when hooking my PC up to my TV? I would imagine HDMI would be the better choice, especially since I shouldn't have to plug the audio separately.

3. I asked this before, but is there a way to have my PC display on both my PC monitor and TV, but with different resolutions for both? The graphics card manual kind of makes it sound like this is possible, but I'd like some advice to quickly tinker with it.

1. I expect it's something along the lines of right clicking up top and adding the Bookmarks Toolbar. I don't use it that way, so I'm not sure how to get them added there right, though.

2. If you want the audio coming out of the TV speakers instead of whatever speakers you have on your computer, then yes, go with HDMI. Otherwise, DVI should be just fine if you find a cheaper cable.

3. Assuming you mean different resolutions and drag things from one to the other as if they were one desktop, then yes. Just set it up to be a multiple monitor setup. If you mean have the same thing on both screens but running different resolutions (which was the impression I got from your earlier post), I suppose there might be software out there to do that somehow, but I have no idea what/where it is.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    prawnstar69prawnstar69 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    Tip #1 Vista gets better over time. Like fine wine. Also take off stuff that the computer makers thins you need but you know you don't.

I've only had it 2 days and I'm already growing to love it. After the initial hiccups things are much better now. Although, I haven't tried ripping any more CDs yet.

prawnstar69 on
    Bana84.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    alright I'm shutting down my current computer to take some parts out for the new one, since I know the video card will be delivered today. hopefully the issue mentioned earlier is exactly what I hope it is: nothing at all.

Variable on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hi Help / Advice! I've been reading this thread off and on, and have sure picked up some great tips.

I wanted to drop in to posit a few computer upgrade related questions to you smarties. I've spent the last week debating with myself about how to properly go through with upgrading my PC. I built the one I'm using now a few years ago, and due to being in college at the time, I was poor, and therefore skimped on cost as much as I could.

Anyway, I finally decided to get my shit together and work on upgrading / making a new one. I started by replacing my piece of shit "Ninja 2" case with an Antec Sonata III.

:whistle:It's hard to overstate my satisfaction:whistle:. Seriously, like night and day.

I dumped the guts of my old PC into it, thinking it would be in the meantime. Before I ramble on too much more, here's where I come upon a crossroad, so to speak. My current machine is as follows:

Biostar 6100-939 Mobo
    AMD 3500+ PCU
    eVGA 7600GT
    2 GB of RAM (which I've more or less scavenged - i.e., 2 sticks of 256, 1 of 512, and 1 1GB).

Now, I'm sure the mix/match RAM is lame, but I don't want to deal with buying new DDR when I plan on getting a new P35 Mobo at some point this year. I've decided to hang onto this build, having been able to pickup a Socket 939 AMD Dual-core +3800 on the cheap, which should be here by tomorrow. Here's my main question:

Video Cards! I've been tormenting myself over whether or not to get a shiny new 8800GTS (G92) or a 8800GT 512. Part the first: is there an appreciable difference between the two, other then the dual-slot cooling and bumped up shader clock? The new Sonata III has made me really appreciate the quiet side of computing - is the GTS notably more quiet then the GT?

Part the second: will the relative shitty-ness of all my other parts bottleneck a shiny new 8800 of either variety? My main goal here is to be able to bang high-resolution wenches in The Witcher, as well as try to enjoy Neverwinter Nights 2 and its expansion.

Anyway, thanks for any advice you fine folks can throw my way.

tl;dr - Should I upgrade my GPU now, based on my current system, or hold off entirely.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Even with a new processor and stuff, I still get issues with Automatic updates from Windows. Clicking the little ! icon starts the downloading process, but after a couple of seconds I get a message that the security updates couldn't be installed. What can I do to fix this, or should I just turn off automatic updates and stick to the reliable programs like Ad Aware?

• Options
    imperial6imperial6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    firewater: Glad you like your new case. Tough call on the upgrade. What kind of performance are you getting in those games now? And what's your monitor's max res? It's funny those two games are the ones you're after because they are based on the same engine, and if memory serves that engine likes a good processor, so I don't know if you'll see as dramatic an increase as you hope for $250+. That said, I'd wager you would still see a pretty large difference (again depending on how it's running now).

I wouldn't waste money on the GTS though, in benchmarks the performance is almost identical, maybe a 5% edge to the GTS, but not worth the cost unless you find some great deal. Fan noise is probably going to be determined by the particular manufacturer more than anything else. If you're really into super quiet under load you might consider an after-market cooler (though it will probably void the warranty). Or you could buy a gigabyte model that comes with a Zalman fan. Or you could not worry about it because the only time it's going to make any noise is under load and even then you might not notice :)

Professor: Sounds like the download isn't able to initialize, might be something with your router. I've never had a problem with windows updates myself. The microsoft support site can actually be pretty good at solving random problems like these, so I'd try looking there if you haven't. I wouldn't just forget about updates and leave it off, though. I mean, I do it for long stretches, but I know it's bad.

imperial6 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    alright, I guess it's time for my question to become: How do I find out if the problem is the motherboard or psu? computer does not power on, period. everything is hooked up.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    imperial6 wrote: »
    Professor: Sounds like the download isn't able to initialize, might be something with your router. I've never had a problem with windows updates myself. The microsoft support site can actually be pretty good at solving random problems like these, so I'd try looking there if you haven't. I wouldn't just forget about updates and leave it off, though. I mean, I do it for long stretches, but I know it's bad.

I really hate when the answer is "something with your router". What exactly would my router be doing to prevent these security updates? But more importantly, is there an alternative route to downloading them, perhaps manually from the windows site, or via a flash drive?

• Options
    edited January 2008
    ah! problem was my fault all along. misread the mobo manual multiple times. things are good now.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    ... booted up, changed boot priority, noticed it wasn't detecting cdrom, turned off machine, unplugged ide from hdd so it was only cdrom on the ide cable, now it won't boot up, and unless I turn the psu off the fans spin for like a split second every 2 or 3 seconds and the LED lights flash on the off right away, like it's trying to turn on by itself but failing.

Variable on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Thanks for the reply imperial - I don't yet have the games. I tried the Witcher demo (and it looked like garbage) but I'm sure I had the settings too high (and this was before I upped my RAM from 1 to 2 gigs). I know it's not as demanding, but my machine can run Dawn of War (and the Soulstorm demo) with everything on high @ max res.

I'm using a BenQ 22", and if memory serves, the native resolution is 1600x1050 (or something in that ballpark). I've heard some cards are better than others at that resolution, but I'm not sure which. As for cooling, I know eVGA and XFX allow you to add an aftermarket cooler w/o voiding the warranty. Anyway, thanks for the advice!

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

I really hate when the answer is "something with your router". What exactly would my router be doing to prevent these security updates? But more importantly, is there an alternative route to downloading them, perhaps manually from the windows site, or via a flash drive?

Sorry bout that answer then, but I promise you 5 minutes searching microsoft's site or google will yield the answers to those questions.

And fire, I'd get the 8800gt with that size monitor.

imperial6 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    And fire, I'd get the 8800gt with that size monitor.

Yeah, methinks you're right. The only reason I was thinking about the GTS is that at the moment there's very little price difference between them. I think I'll just wait for the 512 GT to get back down to MSRP.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    How much is the GT supposed to go for anyway? I've never seen it below ~$250.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

You pretty much nailed it. Most places have them for $270+. What I don't get is the GTS (G92) being around $300. Seems like a small price difference. Still, almost everything I've read says the performance boost of the GTS isn't that significant. But if it saves the $30-50 for an after market cooler, I can see the draw.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Sorry bout that answer then, but I promise you 5 minutes searching microsoft's site or google will yield the answers to those questions.

Don't apologize, I'm sorry for sounding harsh. I just don't want to mess with my router configuration, since that almost always leads to disaster. I'll try searching the MS site later, but it really shouldn't be a large priority to keep Windows updated as long as I have other security programs available.

Also, before I forget, I wanted to show you a pic of what I was alluding to earlier.

IMG_9832.jpg

Like I said before, I was unable to find a place in the new motherboard for that black wire to connect to. The wire stretches to the front of my tower, along with the wire for the USB ports. The two USB ports still work, and there doesn't seem to be any problems, so I guess it's nothing to worry about, but just checking.

IMG_9830.jpg

Same deal with the power supply. It wouldn't fit into my tower unless I turned it upside down. I was assured there shouldn't be a problem with the fan directly facing the motherboard like that, but I just wanted to double check.

• Options
    edited January 2008
    all that trouble aside, I'm on the machine now. little stuff to fix... it's not detecting the second SATA drive (even after installing mobo drivers) and it also seems to think I have a floppy drive. gonna have to check the bios and also switch something on my other backup hdd so it's not read as master. gonna be a pain to get back in this case but I'm very happy to report things are working!

Variable on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

You pretty much nailed it. Most places have them for $270+. What I don't get is the GTS (G92) being around $300. Seems like a small price difference. Still, almost everything I've read says the performance boost of the GTS isn't that significant. But if it saves the $30-50 for an after market cooler, I can see the draw.

Evga's 8800gt has been in stock at newegg for $250 all week. I know because it's been sitting in my cart and every day I almost pull the trigger.

imperial6 on
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The power supply fan that faces the motherboard actually sucks air INTO the power supply, so having it face the motherborad is a very good thing, helps to expell hot air, since it raises to the top of the case....

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Evga's 8800gt has been in stock at newegg for $250 all week. I know because it's been sitting in my cart and every day I almost pull the trigger.

Looks like they're out of stock - did ya get the last one? ;-)

I kind of wish they were selling the one with the Quake Wars pack-in. Been screwing around with the demo, and I have to say I enjoy it. Plus, I like free stuff.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Could we update the front page anytime soon or is the author just going to wait for the thread to reach 100?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It was my understanding that a new processor would allow you to do more things at once without the PC hanging. And yet I've had to manually turn off my PC a couple of times, although that is due to running multiple things such as Firefox downloads, Ad Aware, security updates, and about 3 other downloading programs at the same time.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is if it's still normal for my PC to lock up if I'm straining it too much? Or is this another reason to get Vista over XP (less likely to hang over multitasking)?

• Options
    edited January 2008
    It was my understanding that a new processor would allow you to do more things at once without the PC hanging. And yet I've had to manually turn off my PC a couple of times, although that is due to running multiple things such as Firefox downloads, Ad Aware, security updates, and about 3 other downloading programs at the same time.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is if it's still normal for my PC to lock up if I'm straining it too much? Or is this another reason to get Vista over XP (less likely to hang over multitasking)?

I looked at the parts you have. Are you downloading like 10 things in Firefox, Ad Aware and security updates and torrenting stuff all at the same time? Maybe your dl speeds would be impacted, but it shouldn't grind your OS to a halt. Try opening the task list and monitoring your CPU and memory usage. When the usage is high make sure you hear your fan spinning.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Was also messing around with the resolution settings and installing programs as well.

Generally, what should my CPU and memory usage be? If the numbers are off (too low, too high?), what can I do to fix/increase it?

Also, I didn't want to use the "T" word, but yes that too.

• Options
    edited January 2008
    Can you post some screenshots of your taskmanager when yout system starts to slow down. One with the applications tab and one with the processes showing CPU usage.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'm at work, but I can do it later. Should I perhaps just open everything I can think of, let it all run, then take screenshots of my taskmanager while doing so?

• Options
    edited January 2008
    More like a normal session, or what you ran the last time you started to see a significant slowdown.

Malkor on
This discussion has been closed.