As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do you jailbreak an iPhone?

multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I've followed a few online tutorials and used PwnageTool to generate a custom IPSW, but I get stuck there. Supposedly I have to go into iTunes to restore using that IPSW, but I can't figure out how. From what I can tell, you're supposed to hold option while clicking "restore" for the iPhone, but I can't click restore as the device can't be seen in my devices panel in iTunes. The problem is when I enter DFU mode on my iPhone, it disconnects the device. Anyone know how to get around this?

multimoog on

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Assuming this isn't a banned subject, I would think you'd have better luck over in Moe's Tavern.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    admanb wrote: »
    Assuming this isn't a banned subject, I would think you'd have better luck over in Moe's Tavern.

It's not on the list of forbidden topics over there, so I assume it's fair game across the forum. I've had people reccommend I jailbreak my phone in this subforum as well, and many have told me they've done it to their own phone, so it seems likely I can get help for it here as well(...?).

multimoog on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    there isn't anything illegal about it.

Shift click and select the file.

Let me know how it goes

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    there isn't anything illegal about it.

Shift click and select the file.

Let me know how it goes

That sucked. I tried it again, and while it was restoring from the IPSW, a dialog box popped up and told me that phone couldn't be restored from it, so I had to do it via a regular restore. I think Apple has finally plugged all the holes left open - has anyone had any luck doing this process lately?

Worst part is now I have to go back and reload all the music, videos etc.

EDIT: I'm re-asking on Moe's Stupid Technology Tavern, hopefully I'll have better luck with it. This thread can be locked whenever.

multimoog on
This discussion has been closed.