As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need help choosing a Hi-Tech unlocked cell phone

HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm looking for a new phone. One of which is pretty whiz bang. I am with AT&T/Cingular since '05 and don't know if I'll benefit moving anywhere as I haven't really researched plans or pricing differences on other providers cause I know with AT&T i'll move up to unlimited data and media which will put me at about $70-80 a month from the original $40 basic plan.

I started off with Razr when that first came out cause it was slim and sexy and then I got the Sony Erricson w810i when that first came out before any carrier in the U.S. got it because I really wanted an all in one device i.e Phone/camera/MP3 player. When I bought that one it was obviously unlocked and all I did was slip my SIM card in and I was good to go on AT&T. Nowadays it feels clunky and the OS feels way outdated and I don't use the MP3 player anymore.

Now I don't know.

Right now what I am looking for is a Phone/camera/GPS/internet device. Music and video have been covered by my Zune which I don't mind carrying and is mostly for the car. I love having a camera on me at all times now for all improptu events and GPS or at least google maps would be a god send. Normal Internet would just be damn useful on the go.

Now when I got the w810i I could do all sorts of cool stuff with it but when a friend got one too when it became availble through AT&T so many things were locked and or branded. Like you couldn't use any MP3 you put on the phone as a ring tone which is simple and basic on my phone version. So if I got a phone through AT&T now like say an iPhone or Samsung Eternity is anything going to be fucked up? Also like a lot of people have told me to switch to Verizon since it has better coverage here in Virginia (I got Cingular when I lived in San Francisco) but I know for a fact that Verizon locks so much stuff on the phones with their OS's and make you buy stuff on their Vcast or whatever its called and I want to be free to do what I want with my device.

I don't know if a lot of the answers are going to be iPhone but something just irks me about what it is right now and what a new model of it could be in the future so I am apprehensive about the current model. And I just read about the Samsung Memoir which looks like what I would want but its with T-Mobile.

TL;DR
Want a unlocked Phone/good phone camera/GPS and I am on AT&T. And I like researching on my own so if you just want to point me in the right direction on anything other the howardforums and cnet where I can read informative reviews for cell phones and service providers then thats cool too.

Thanks!

steam_sig.png
HyperAquaBlast on

• Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My brother has a Palm Treo Pro or some such, not on any carriers, but he uses it with AT&T w/ 3G. If Windows Mobile is your thing.

BTW most t-mo phones will work on AT&T if you unlock them (can find on ebay or craigslist, or go to a shop to unlock it).

You can also typically replace firmware on phones so that you can have unlocked features (like mp3 ringtones)...

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream