Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Outdated On] TF2 Thread: The Lockening.

TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Games and Technology
This is an on topic thread. It's under the microscope so keep it on topic or they will lock it again.

TEAM FORTRESS 2
Where we take business seriously.
Serious People, Serious Business.

keepcryingk.jpg

Herein is a team based multiplayer FPS by Valve. It rocks. The best resource for questions pertaining to one of the nine classes is either asking in game or TF2 WIKI DOT NET. They have everything from what damage each weapon does to (sometimes outdated) HOW TO PLAY VIDEOS. We have servers for the community and friends:

ALL PASSWORDS ARE: WANG

Job's
Hyperbolic Drama Chamber
Normal server with sourcemod for votes. Recently has had lag problems.
66.55.142.242:27015

JonXP's
JonXP's Server
Regular vanilla server. No votes. Significantly less lag. It's a trade off.
tf2.finalmeasure.com

PMAvers's
House of Non-Conformity (Not for Critics)
Definately not for critics. PMAvers does a great service by weeding through FPS banana and picking out the interesting/non-crap maps for us to play on when people vote for dustbowl on Job's for the 17th time in a row.
208.167.243.68:27015
Download the Map Pack now so you dont have to later.
Extract to: Steam\steamapps\<your account>\team fortress 2\tf\maps

SERVER BANNERS:
b_160x400_T1_F-2.pngb_160x400_T1_F-2.pngb_160x400_T1_F-2.png

Server owners: Please PM me your donation information or if there are any changes to your servers.

IMPORTANT NOTE: There is no real PA TF2 Steam Group. The HoNC has a Honc Night group that occasionally announces a custom map night, but that's about it. To get involved and meet people post here and add the servers to your favorites and hop on.

Join us on IRC: irc.slashnet.org #paforums_tf2

MISCELLANEOUS TIDBITS:
Spoiler:

Try not to dick around too much in the thread so our community doesn't get banned from the forms. K TIA.
Supper3.jpg

TK-42-1 on
sig.jpgsmugriders.gif

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It was kinda funny but yesterday someone pointed out that even though the scout got updated there are still more pyros then scouts.

• Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Orikae does that mean you'll be able to change maps when they're crap, I look forward to that. Because some maps are crap.

Job currently hasn't got changemap or scramble teams as admin commands.

Hint hint.

ps: votescramble never ever works because people are selfish/proud.

p8fnsZD.png
  • edited February 2009
    I will play with you dudes later maybe

• That_GuyThat_Guy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    With all the new scouts, Natasha should be pretty fun to use.

• TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    scramble teams is bullshit because the map is usually almost over and it resets the timelimit/round count

sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    scramble teams is bullshit because the map is usually almost over and it resets the timelimit/round count
    No it doesn't and it hasn't for quite some time, but people still think it does which is why they need to be beaten.

p8fnsZD.png
  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User
    edited February 2009
    bongi wrote: »
    I will play with you dudes later maybe

Sounds good

Don't mind me if I threaten to track you down and murder you for ingame screw-ups I'm a hate filled monster who nobody likes

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    TheScruple wrote: »
    I am quite pleased with the secret spy update. The new backstab is much more responsive, and makes it perfectly clear if you're getting a backstab or not. If you're lined up against someone's back, you don't have to worry about them dodging while your animation happens.

Another feature I found handy is seeing enemy names while disguised. Originally, I thought it was a minor add, but it enables you to see if there is a cloaked spy about, since their name comes up. It adds more to the spy vs. spy games (which I inevitably lose).

Also, being able to switch weapons while disguised is a nice little QoL feature. It may not do much extra, but if someone hesitates on a spy check because they see a pyro wielding a shotgun or fireaxe, that may be all you need to get your business done.

Unfortunately, there are way too many scoots on the servers, and scoots are hard to backstab. I find myself backstabbing the same people over and over since they're either not a scoot or a scoot that has a habit of running backwards into me.

More attention needs to be drawn to this. Pyros need to start setting everyone on fire now.

Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
    edited February 2009
    Also, I'm taking suggestions for stuff to put in the OP. I dont have the luxury of copying stuff out of OPs past since most are locked and i dont want to dig through the source code

sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    woo BEAST! Fortress 2 wooooooooo

that is all I have to add to this, i always enjoy when i'm paid attention to

• SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Also, I'm taking suggestions for stuff to put in the OP. I dont have the luxury of copying stuff out of OPs past since most are locked and i dont want to dig through the source code

Wouldn't hurt to mention that TF2 is only $10 until Friday.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm not a fan of the baseball. Stun mechanics in PvP games are always an iffy proposition. They're frustrating for the recipient, which means people are having less fun. Plus, it often means death once you're stunned, but it's even more frustrating because you have to sit there and watch it happen. At least when a sniper gets you, it's instant.

Steam: DigitalArcanist | PSN: DigitalArcanist | NNID: DigitalArcanist | Backloggery: Houn
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    28 Achievements for me, and counting.

All legitimate, thankyewverymuch.

7nUkagJ.png
    SteamID:Icemopper PSN:Icemopper
    edited February 2009
    Icemopper wrote: »

Yeah, what was this earlier about someone losing their scout unlocks? Is Valve punishing people for using the achievement unlocker?

• TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User
    edited February 2009
    I believe so, and its about time :P.

Can't wait to scout my ass off tonight.

• IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Yeah, what was this earlier about someone losing their scout unlocks? Is Valve punishing people for using the achievement unlocker?

http://www.teamfortress.com/

fail.jpg

7nUkagJ.png
    SteamID:Icemopper PSN:Icemopper
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So I bought TF2 at $10 but it's so fucking pointless to play right now when half, or at worst, over half, of your team ends up being Scouts.

oIi9lub.png
    Favicon.ico maximumzero / KrSaEN3.png 0860-3352-3335 / a80250598aa8cc2ffb8563e971973b3d5324b5c2185533c7337134de.ico?ad13179b567f3ff7b14378a5232870d1 eBay Shop / twitter-bird-16x16.png Twitter
  • Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User
    edited February 2009
    LOL GNT NERDS HEH

And when the hell are we going to get the VIP? At the very least, you beautiful admins should enable hunted again. Thems was good times. But so was Cyberpunk and Auto-Taunt, so what do I know?

Also would a new "Meet The" because they, too, are good times.

edited February 2009
    This happens every class update. They reduce the price of the game when it is at its stupidest. All heavies was epic though. Don't worry, giveit a week or two and it will go back to normal. 10$ is definitly a worhtwhile investment, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• savooipeerdsavooipeerd Registered User
    edited February 2009
    That_Guy wrote: »
    With all the new scouts, Natasha should be pretty fun to use.

If you want the "Don't touch sandvich" achievement, now's the time. Outside of that Sasha is still the superior weapon, even against scouts.

You might want to put the "50% off" thing in the title. And in that same vein, a simple rundown of the classes might be nice for any newcomers; you could probably just copy-paste the ones from Goose's ill-fated thread and manually add italic or bold tags.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User
    edited February 2009
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Orikae does that mean you'll be able to change maps when they're crap, I look forward to that. Because some maps are crap.

Job currently hasn't got changemap or scramble teams as admin commands.

Hint hint.

ps: votescramble never ever works because people are selfish/proud.

Or they're trying to switch fucking weapons in the middle of fighting and die. Which is what always happens to me.

edited February 2009

fail.jpg

FUCK YES. I totally called that shit.

100% free-range achievements here, motherfuckers. :D

edited February 2009
    It's not $10 this weekend, just until the (I assume) end of Friday.

oIi9lub.png
    Favicon.ico maximumzero / KrSaEN3.png 0860-3352-3335 / a80250598aa8cc2ffb8563e971973b3d5324b5c2185533c7337134de.ico?ad13179b567f3ff7b14378a5232870d1 eBay Shop / twitter-bird-16x16.png Twitter
  • Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User
    edited February 2009
    I used the unlocker, but it works out for me. I got all the scout new toy excitement out of my system already. I'm kinda surprised their punishment for hacking the new weapons was to take them away for just a week.

Now I understand why they made this stuff all in the "Steam Cloud", now they can actually punish people by taking their weapons away.

• TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User
    edited February 2009

fail.jpg

FUCK YES. I totally called that shit.

100% free-range achievements here, motherfuckers. :D

This picture should be all thats in our servers' MotD for a while.

• DeMoNDeMoN Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The punishment should have been more severe than just a week.

PSN: Toxic_Cizzle Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So I bought TF2 at $10 but it's so fucking pointless to play right now when half, or at worst, over half, of your team ends up being Scouts.

I bought it yesterday and got 4 or 5 Pyro achievements in about half an hour before i had to go to class, thanks to all the Scouts. It's playable but not very pretty in Crossover Games on my iMac; I need to free up some space on my Vista partition before I can see how glorious it looks in DX 10 though.

camo_sig.png
    edited February 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »

Yeah, I know, I kind of expected worse.

• cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Unlocked the Force-a-Nature last night and had a few minutes with it before leaving. Scored a few quick kills, but it's going to take some getting used to. It's got an impressive capacity as a hit-and-run weapon, and I found myself unloading both shots in succession almost every time. It was pretty annoying trying to drop down on an enemy and fire at them, only to be launched back into the air.

I don't have any opinion yet on whether it's better or worse than the scattergun. I'll be using it for a while and see how I do.

This patch has also marginally improved my skills at scout vs scout, which I am utterly terrible at. So that's something.

edited February 2009

Seriously, they should have removed them all. A week is like a slap in the face for using third party software to unlock weapons..

• That_GuyThat_Guy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Anti-Sean wrote: »

I bought it yesterday and got 4 or 5 Pyro achievements in about half an hour before i had to go to class, thanks to all the Scouts. It's playable but not very pretty in Crossover Games on my iMac; I need to free up some space on my Vista partition before I can see how glorious it looks in DX 10 though.

TF2 is not a DX10 game, so there is really no improvement.

edited February 2009
    You might want to put the "50% off" thing in the title. And in that same vein, a simple rundown of the classes might be nice for any newcomers; you could probably just copy-paste the ones from Goose's ill-fated thread and manually add italic or bold tags.

yeah i cant copy/paste the formatting so I just put a link to the wiki. if work slows down today I'll go in and flesh it out more.

sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Playing for a couple of hours last night I now have the FoN and the Sandman, and with only a little messing aboot with only four or five people on HONC.

There's a few more I can get with careful CP play and also just by leaping aboot blasting people. I still haven't finished Pop Fly and Caught Napping.

however

One thing bears noting, and it's sort of a bug that makes it easier to get the Pop Fly achievement:
    Spoiler:

edit: I have not yet even begun to work on the Sandman-related achievements, and I still need only one more to get the Bonk!

edited February 2009
    Anti-Sean wrote: »

I considered using Crossover Games but I already had a copy of XP to use lying around and I didn't want to have to pony up another $80 to use Crossover.

[Edit: Also, I tried a trial of Crossover Games some time back and there were little niggling stuff that bothered me, like when I placed a Sentry the little wireframe for it wouldn't appear as I was placing it.]

That said, my iMac plays the game perfectly with everything on 11 at 1920x1200.

oIi9lub.png
  • savooipeerdsavooipeerd Registered User
    edited February 2009

You guys are looking at this all wrong, the real punishment is finally proving to Davincie that, yes, Valve does consider it cheating.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    Cheating is punishable by taking away your loot for a whole week!.

• SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Do we really want to go to town on this unlocker debate? Because anyone familiar with me knows I have no love for Valve and will gladly take them down in the process of showing some people here just how dumb they are, and how dumb this idea of "earning" weapons from achievements is.

It's an easy game to hate
    edited February 2009

You guys are looking at this all wrong, the real punishment is finally proving to Davincie that, yes, Valve does consider it cheating.

That is true, all the "I told you so!"s are going to be annoying as hell.

Edit: Even though I never tried to argue that it wasn't cheating.

• AsiinaAsiina Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I got my sandman through farming, but there's so many achievements that are "do x 50 times" that it'll be a while before I get my drink.

That said, I LOVE the sandman. The baseball is the funnest thing ever. I'm getting to be a pretty good shot with it at a reasonable range too.

My favourite moment from last night was playing RED on gravelpit. Edcrab just rocket jumped up on the ledge to BLU's spawn when he got stunned. The scout ran up to him to kill him, but then I stunned the scout. Edcrab came out of his stun and gave him a liberal helping of rocket to the face. I laughed so hard.

• EdcrabEdcrab Registered User
    edited February 2009
    Urgh I tried playing in a pub and it was the incarnation of all that is wrong with pubs

To quote Tycho (or was it Gabe?) the only trouble with multiplayer games is that you have to play them with other people, and in this case the other people were like caricatures of bad gamers

Usually I think all the "PA servers > pubs" talk is verging on elitist but now I never want to go anywhere near a pub again that was terrible. Terrible.

Also yes Asiina that was most awesome. That's the reason I keep coming back to the PA servers even though I hate mankind.

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
This discussion has been closed.