As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox 360 Flashing Black

WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
My tv seems to flash black occasionally when playing 360. It didn't used to, so I assumed my new tv might have had something to do with it (cause I started running it at 1080p over component instead of 1080i, figured the extra processing for the higher resolution might have done it.) So I dropped back down to 1080i and it seems to have lessened it but still seems to get it occasionally.

Microsoft's support site doesnt seem to have anything about it. Any ideas?

Wezoin on

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My XBOX does this weird flicker sometimes when I start it up using HDMI. I had to switch back to component because nothing would make Rock Band 2 calibrate properly and I haven't had a recurrence. Since you're using 1080p, I'd assume you were using HDMI.

If I restarted my XBox when it flickered that would usually clear it up. However, the flickering for me was a constant, seizure inducing flicker, so it may be different that what you're talking about.

EDIT: Just reread your OP, you said you're using component. I didn't know component would go up to 1080p. Huh. Anyway, I guess I'm not really any help at all. :P

Nova_C on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, component goes up to 1080p (that's what I'm using, my 360 is three years old).

One suggestion I might offer: I used to get a few graphical corruptions (of the green and pink variety) on my Xbox 360 that could only be fixed by restarting the Xbox 360. Didn't happen with my other consoles. I just assumed my 360 was old, and dismissed them. Since switching to a new TV, however, I've never gotten them again.

So I guess try another TV?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Do you have the system plugged directly into the TV, or through a switchbox? Our switchbox had issues when the screen went completely white, it would overload the system and cause the TV to lose the signal for a few seconds (which effected the Wii worst, but hit all of our systems). The new TV has enough inputs to not need the switchbox, so we haven't noticed the issue... and the old TV is in the bedroom, with older systems on it, so no need there either.

Anyway, yea.. direct connection, or switchbox in the middle?

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Component up to 1080p was available in one of the more recent updates, if I recall.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Component up to 1080p was available in one of the more recent updates, if I recall.

I did get some red rings a couple days ago - my guess is its on its way out the door. Yay being out finally out of warranty 4 360s later and having an excuse to pickup a model with HDMI, a bigger hard drive, and thats not going to die on an annual basis. They really need to stop this 'exchange your broken xbox for somebody elses broken xbox' nonsense.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    focused7focused7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    cable going bad? mine used to do it and I just needed to swap out the hdmi cable. try jiggling the cable a bit near the connectors and see if it cuts out the signal.

focused7 on