Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Debate and Discourse: AWESOME POST in "A brief examination of the shifts from 2004 to 2008&quot

2»

• Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS
    edited March 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »
    It's an incredibly simple joke.

Q: "Why are there so many Germans in Florida?"
    A: "Because there are Jews there and they want to oppress them."
    Q: "Why are there so many Jews in Florida?"
    A: "Because the Germans are keeping them there in concentration camps."

BA

DUM

TSH
    I find that A) You find this version funny and B) Your brain doesn't automatically question, "If the only reason the Jews are there is because of the Germans, and the only reason the Germans are there is because of the Jews than how can any of them be there at all?!" to be quite disturbing.

that is the joke

omigod

you people

Ok, so here's the thing Jeffe.

"The Germans are in Florida to oppress Jews who can't leave because they are being oppressed" is juvenile and lacks wit.

The mass exodus of Jews fleeing Nazi Germany and settling in Florida being summed up in two words which happen to play nicely on the questions posed (answer regarding Germans is Jews, answer regarding Jews is Germans) is both clever and witty.

On reflection, considering this was Obs, it is more likely that the intended interpretation was the former. On that assumption, 1 star and good day to you sir! Harrumph!

Wow. Way to douche it up, Douchey Douchenbergensteinenbaumendouche. Not only, come to think of it, have I never even heard of this mass Jewish exodus (HAH!) to Florida circa 1935-1939, it's pretty commonly remarked that Jews retire to Florida from New York, where they were much more likely to arrive and settle as European immigrants anyway.

So yeah, call circular logic for the sake of comedy juvenile and witless, can I call you stupid for fabricating some shit I can't find any records of?

Spoiler:
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You're insane Hippie, if you're not spending your time yelling shit at Obs you spend it yelling shit at people disagreeing with you about Obs' little jokes. Is it really that hard to assume that Obs did *not* make a far-fetched racist joke?

Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
  • agoajagoaj Avatar avatar avatar HD Avatar of the Year EditionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wars will be fought over this one day, for sure.

5cCIDR0.png
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    maybe we should move this back to D&D to try to get a concensus on what it means.

this and that sandwich joke.

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Goose! wrote: »
    Leave it to D&D to spark debate about a fucking joke.

And the worst part is that I was in no way involved in this particular bit of needless pedantry.

Seriously J not only are you a monumentally umpleasant person when you start uttering the nonsense that passes for philosophy in your mind (shame on whatever institution you graduated in, and shame on your tutors for creating such a monster), but your sense of humor, such as it is, is awful.
2»