As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

rundll32.exe problem

Liquid HellzLiquid Hellz Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently had to install windows xp over my previous version of xp on the same hard drive, did not do a format because I needed my files. Now whenever I turn the computer on it lags up really bad and gets real slow until I end rundll32.exe process(s). Then it frees up again and I can go about my business like normal. What do I do?

What I do for a living:
Home Inspection and Wind Mitigation
http://www.FairWindInspections.com/
Liquid Hellz on

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    options:

A) keep doing what you are doing, there are many programs that i close on startup (but i rarely start up)

B) backup your files, format your hard drive and reinstall windows correctly.

i suggest B.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Damn, thats what I didn't want to hear.. Hope someone else has a different solution. If not then oh well.

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living:
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    use process explorer to find out what is using rundll32.exe and why its causing problems

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you're reinstalling an OS, you should always completely reformat.

I also suggest B.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    exoplasm wrote: »
    use process explorer to find out what is using rundll32.exe and why its causing problems

Its running under explorer and nothing is using rundll to run.

Another thing I just realized is that everything runs fine with both versions of rundll32.exe running until I try to right click on my desktop.

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living:
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    When I right click on my desktop process explorer shows setup.exe (description "Microsoft setup bootstrapper" opening under svchost.exe. I think thats what is freezing me up. Anyone know anything about this?

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living:
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you reformat, I suggest creating 2 partitions. One I'd make about 20GB or so, and use the rest of your hard drive for the second. Install Windows on the first and put everything else on the second. That way, when you reformat in the future, you just have to format the C: drive, leaving your second partition alone. You'll have to reinstall any programs you installed to the D: drive, but all your files will remain untouched.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    If you reformat, I suggest creating 2 partitions. One I'd make about 20GB or so, and use the rest of your hard drive for the second. Install Windows on the first and put everything else on the second. That way, when you reformat in the future, you just have to format the C: drive, leaving your second partition alone. You'll have to reinstall any programs you installed to the D: drive, but all your files will remain untouched.

I have thought about doing this in the past. It sounds like a good idea, keep my music/pictures/dvds/work files on the second partition but how do I access the smaller partition from my main partition with windows? Also can I have Itunes just read my mp3s from the second partition? How do I make sure the smaller partition stays clean of junk files?

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living:
  • Options
    capnricocapnrico Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Have you run virus/malware scans? I'm pretty sure lots of malware uses rundll32 to execute itself.

capnrico on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

I have thought about doing this in the past. It sounds like a good idea, keep my music/pictures/dvds/work files on the second partition but how do I access the smaller partition from my main partition with windows? Also can I have Itunes just read my mp3s from the second partition? How do I make sure the smaller partition stays clean of junk files?

With Windows your partitions will be C: and D: in your My Computer window. So to get to files on C: you go to C:, and D: for files on the bigger partition. Easy, yea?

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    exoplasm wrote: »

With Windows your partitions will be C: and D: in your My Computer window. So to get to files on C: you go to C:, and D: for files on the bigger partition. Easy, yea?

Yeah, when you partition it's like having 2 hard drives, as far as your computer is concerned. When you install something, just change the path from c:\installpath to d:\installpath. When you open up My Computer, you will see icons for C: and for D:. Same thing in Windows Explorer, you'll have the two drives selectable. I don't use iTunes, but I'd imagine you'd just point it to your D: drive when it's looking for your library. If by smaller partition you mean the D: drive, it won't get any files that you don't put or install there. Usually what I do when reformatting is to delete the directories for things I've installed and just reinstall them to that drive again. If you mean the C: drive, where you'll install Windows, it's not any different than it is now. When you format that drive, any junk files will be deleted.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ah I see, I always thought for some reason that you had to log into windows on that part of the partition to see it. Well I fixed the problem thanks to process explorer. When I was right clicking on my desktop another rundll32 was starting up and was trying to run the microsoft groove application which had a bad path or something so it was freezing up, I just uninstalled groove. Thanks guys!

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living: