As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Street Fighter IV: Mama, I'm in Hong Kong

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just use "Lil Ol' Me" since people would kick me if I had Chuns gold "hope you're ready!"

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Masume wrote: »
    I'd rather spend the bar on an EX stomp, it's damage is superb and not only that, it's safe on a block, plus it's his only reliable wake up move next to a port, which is iffy and only good for escape.

Just watch out for people who know to backdash when they see a head stomp coming. I don't know if it's different for the EX stomp, but if you backdash when a regular headstomp is incoming Bison will fall harmlessly in front of you, ready to be injured.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fireflash wrote: »
    You have to pay for the new costumes. The colors are unlocked by going through the Time Attacks and Survival Challenges.

Is it just one new costume per fighter in the DLC?

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i just use "in training", because the training never ends

also, i suck :(

Joolander on
  • Options
    surefire1982surefire1982 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I noticed something from playing online. I used to use Ken/Ryu for ages (since SF2, and everygame between, including SFEX and all the Vs. games), but this is the first time I've actually played against a wide breadth of players.

My BP was not that great with Ken/Ryu, and when i switched to Sagat, I started to do better. Anyone else notice that switching from a shoto to a non-shoto player?

surefire1982 on
    Laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy. Never forgive, never forget.
    PSN: surefire1982
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    dav3yb wrote: »
    So let me propose a situation.

Honda v Guile.

Guile SB's me, I either block or FA then back dash, either way he is now airborne and kicking. I standing block, then crouch block to block the 2 piece sweep. Now what? He's at distance and I can't do anything. I tried sumoing, he blocked, I tried jumping in, flash kicked, and sonic booms me and starts over if I just stay there.

punish him after the first sweep

That, or jump over the SB since you can see it coming with repetition. Go on the offensive and lure out mis-timed flash kicks are your best bet. The butt stomp is also a good bet, but it depends on your range.

Edit: As for the sweep, you can jump straight up after the first kick and hit him coming down, or if you know your moveset well you can sometimes get a kick or even a torpedo in with timing. EX torpedo will blow right through it, as well.

Friend Request sent!

I look forward to crushing your head :p

Random question, does anyone use titles that give away a strat? I tend to use Devil Reverse/Headstomp a lot when I play Bison, so I used the "You Are Beneath Me" title (because I'm clever, you see) but I noticed that when I used it, people expected my aerials much better. Now I use "Rush Ace" and I've racked up the wins. I'm probably crazy, but I was wondering if anyone else had noticed it.

Hehe looking forward to some matches. I personally use 'missionary of love' with some flowers. I thought it fit Bison well. :lol:

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fireflash wrote: »
    You have to pay for the new costumes. The colors are unlocked by going through the Time Attacks and Survival Challenges.

Is it just one new costume per fighter in the DLC?

Yeah, and there are 5 characters in each $4 pack ($0.80 a costume).

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I noticed something from playing online. I used to use Ken/Ryu for ages (since SF2, and everygame between, including SFEX and all the Vs. games), but this is the first time I've actually played against a wide breadth of players.

My BP was not that great with Ken/Ryu, and when i switched to Sagat, I started to do better. Anyone else notice that switching from a shoto to a non-shoto player?

but... you switched from a shoto... to a muy tha-- shoto.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    wonderpug wrote: »
    I'd rather spend the bar on an EX stomp, it's damage is superb and not only that, it's safe on a block, plus it's his only reliable wake up move next to a port, which is iffy and only good for escape.

Just watch out for people who know to backdash when they see a head stomp coming. I don't know if it's different for the EX stomp, but if you backdash when a regular headstomp is incoming Bison will fall harmlessly in front of you, ready to be injured.

No that is true, but not many people know that option, so keep it on the hush hush. EX stomps are fast though...stupid fast, so it's less likely they'll get away.

It's all about timing really, if your fighting someone who can handle the stomps well, you throw it out on wake up or mix it in with combos, it usually never fails either when they block your low kick, expect a scissor and get EX stomped into the ground. ;)

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Oh wow, so all together even with the DLC, you get just two costumes per character? That ain't right.

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    TyrantCow wrote: »

What's a shoto . . .?

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Haha...yeah true, but he's different *enough* from ken/ryu isn't he?

surefire1982 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    What's a shoto . . .?

Shoto refers to any character with similar styles to ken/ryu. It's a term from the SF2 era when their style was referred to as "Shotokan-style karate". Please correct me on this if i'm wrong.

surefire1982 on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

What's a shoto . . .?

Ken/Ryu/Sakura/Akuma are Shoto fighters. Based on their fighting style.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited March 2009

What's a shoto . . .?

A shoto is a character that has a moveset in the vein of Ryu/Ken/Akuma (hadoukens, hurricane kicks, shoryukens, etc.). Some consider Sagat somewhat of a shoto too.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    What's a shoto . . .?

Shoto refers to any character with similar styles to ken/ryu. It's a term from the SF2 era when their style was referred to as "Shotokan-style karate". Please correct me on this if i'm wrong.

Does this have to do with the difference between charge characters and . . . other characters?

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    What's a shoto . . .?

Does this have to do with the difference between charge characters and . . . other characters?

Only in the sense that shotos are all non-charge characters, it's not really related but I guess you could consider them another "class" of characters.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

No that is true, but not many people know that option, so keep it on the hush hush.

Too late :p

Oh wow, so all together even with the DLC, you get just two costumes per character? That ain't right.

2 is 100% more than we ever got in previous games. (except for a few exceptions)

I'm sure more will come out eventually. But I'd rather get more characters and engine upgrades.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

It probably had less to do with you switching off a shoto (also because he's arguably a shoto) and more to do with you now playing what's considered by many to be the best character in the game.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    TheStig wrote: »

It probably had less to do with you switching off a shoto (also because he's arguably a shoto) and more to do with you now playing what's considered by many to be the best character in the game.

aw man, so it doesn't mean i'm improving? :P

surefire1982 on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Sakura's a special case; she gets three costumes.

I miss the "Now with 80 cent hats!" thread title.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

It depends. What makes sagat top tier in IV? His damage output? His combos?

If you're not using what makes Sagat top tier, you don't necessarily have an advantage over anyone else.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009

well color ten on the alternate can be considered to have an "invisible" gi

and you have to regard "invisible" as a color

Joolander on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    dav3yb wrote: »
    So let me propose a situation.

Honda v Guile.

Guile SB's me, I either block or FA then back dash, either way he is now airborne and kicking. I standing block, then crouch block to block the 2 piece sweep. Now what? He's at distance and I can't do anything. I tried sumoing, he blocked, I tried jumping in, flash kicked, and sonic booms me and starts over if I just stay there.

punish him after the first sweep

That, or jump over the SB since you can see it coming with repetition. Go on the offensive and lure out mis-timed flash kicks are your best bet. The butt stomp is also a good bet, but it depends on your range.

Edit: As for the sweep, you can jump straight up after the first kick and hit him coming down, or if you know your moveset well you can sometimes get a kick or even a torpedo in with timing. EX torpedo will blow right through it, as well.

Friend Request sent!

I look forward to crushing your head :p

Random question, does anyone use titles that give away a strat? I tend to use Devil Reverse/Headstomp a lot when I play Bison, so I used the "You Are Beneath Me" title (because I'm clever, you see) but I noticed that when I used it, people expected my aerials much better. Now I use "Rush Ace" and I've racked up the wins. I'm probably crazy, but I was wondering if anyone else had noticed it.

I've been using Vega's "Self lover" cause uhhhh... :winky:

But I'm thinking about switching to Family Man despite hating Guile in this game.

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Joolander wrote: »

I wish Cammy had an invisible no.10 color. :winky:

aBlank wrote: »

I've been using Vega's "Self lover" cause uhhhh... :winky:

But I'm thinking about switching to Family Man despite hating Guile in this game.

I've been using In the pink!. :winky: But I feared getting banned from XBL .

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Banshee wrote: »
    It depends. What makes sagat top tier in IV?

Everything.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, good ken/ryu players can you answer this for me.

If I play a ryu and he just jumps. constantly, just jumping forwards and backwards... I guess trying to catch me in a cross up? And just does his kick -> sweep jump combo... Is that par for the course? Is that how good players play? Cause... once I get in the rythm it's not to bad to mess up.

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

If I play a ryu and he just jumps. constantly, just jumping forwards and backwards... I guess trying to catch me in a cross up? And just does his kick -> sweep jump combo... Is that par for the course? Is that how good players play? Cause... once I get in the rythm it's not to bad to mess up.

short answer: no they suck.

Does this actually work against you? I love it when they do that because I just cannon spike them any time they fling themselves into the air like a retard. If you're using ryu or ken you could just dragon punch them or crouching HP.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited March 2009

No that is the sign of a bad player, or somebody taking advantage of a laggy situation. If they're good, you're probably getting cross upped > crouching mk > hadouken'd.

Jumping constantly is also a sign of a new player, or somebody who is used to games where jumping is "safe". They see jumping as the primary form of movement, and are easily punishable. Just anti air that shit.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    mystic_knightmystic_knight Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I play Ryu, and I usually stick to the ground as much as I can unless I'm crossing up someone. I think that guy just thinks the jumpkick + sweep combo that got him through singleplayer works on real people.

mystic_knight on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I thought canceling fireballs was gay until I saw pungko do it and now I do it all the time. I'm such a poser.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Jubeh wrote: »

Everything.

I was hoping for a better answer.

Along the lines of his tight alternate costume.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Joolander wrote: »

I wish Cammy had an invisible no.10 color. :winky:

i like the way you think :P

i dunno about other people, but for me playing cammy its really easy to catch these ryu guys jumping>high kick>sweep with a nice cannonspike to the face, or a spiral arrow just before they land, or a cannon strike in the air, or an air throw....

so im gonna say that most good ryu players probably dont play that way

Joolander on
  • Options
    king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Does this actually work against you? I love it when they do that because I just cannon spike them any time they fling themselves into the air like a retard. If you're using ryu or ken you could just dragon punch them or crouching HP.

Mmmm it actually works good against me as my AA is pretty hit or miss :/ But once I actually break out of it and start mixing up my moves, they usually panic and do stupid shit.

And jesus I just lost to a 2500 BP Sagat who after I almost perfected him the first match, he just used fireballs and uppercuts to just shut me down and get me in a corner :/ God, I feel like I'm doing good, then I play someone who makes me feel like I've never played the game before and don't know what to do.

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Options
    GF-BoceifusGF-Boceifus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Everything.

Literally.

High damage, check.
    Incredible priority, check.
    Little to no recovery time on moves, check

I don't think he's completely dominant against every other character in the game, it's just that he has a lot of strengths and very few weaknesses. Also, I've beaten a lot of Sagat players online, so it's not impossible. It is hard work though, and when someone really knows how to play him it's pretty hard to stop.

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL / GFWL: Boceifus
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sagat gets high damage output, long reaching powerful normals, high and low fireballs, a million anti-air options, and an easy way to combo into his ultra...

And his only real flaw is that I believe his walk speed is lower than everyone elses.

Whoopedy doo. Capcom is pretty retarded, guys. Even on paper the concept of Sagat is fucking retarded.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Everything.

I was hoping for a better answer.

Along the lines of his tight alternate costume.
    \

What makes him better? His sexy bald head.

and this:

tiger.gif

surefire1982 on
  • Options
    JellySalmonJellySalmon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rargh! I'm sick of playing on bad connections. Anyone in California/the Bay Area on LIVE? Playing all these Kens with lag is making me a worse player.

Title: Heart Professor. I'd probably use that one even if I didn't play Sakura.

JellySalmon on
    What do you say we take a relaxed attitude towards work and watch the baseball game? The nye Mets are my favorite squadron.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Cali has the best street fighter scene.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

We don't all have godly AA like that!

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
This discussion has been closed.