Options

Rice cooker rice/water ratio help

TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys,

So I've recently moved into a share apartment type thing, and there's a rice cooker I'm wanting to use. Unfortunately, all my roomies have gone to the pub, and there isn't an instruction booklet to be found. I've done a few web searches, but have only managed to find people requesting the booklet. My google-fu isn't what it used to be.

The cooker is a Maxim 7 cup Deluxe, model number DRC.7. If anyone is familiar with this type of cooker that would be awesome.

Failing that though, is there a general ratio that could be considered standard?

I hungrily await your replies (please make them quick, there is a maccas just down the road... I'm trying to eat healthy, it's just so darn convenient though...). Thanks!

Trentus on

• Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The general ratio is usually 1 cup rice to 1.5 or 2 cups water. I don't know if that's different for a rice cooker.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Are there any marks on the inside..pan..receptacle..thing? Whenever I make rice I usually go to 2.5 on my cooker's marks, for 2 cups of rice. That may mean 2 1/2 cups of water, I really have no idea.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Arrath wrote: »
    Are there any marks on the inside..pan..receptacle..thing? Whenever I make rice I usually go to 2.5 on my cooker's marks, for 2 cups of rice. That may mean 2 1/2 cups of water, I really have no idea.

Yeah, there's a scale for cups, and then a scale for whatever some loopy symbol means... kinda looks like a fish lying vertically. Which is in increments of .4 (.4, .8, 1.2)

Trentus on
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I generally use a 1:1 ratio for white rice, but after you wash the rice and fill it up in that ratio, just make sure the water covers the rice and it should be fine. If you're still not sure just keep an eye on it (don't walk away).

Different types of rice require different ratios - maybe take a look at the packet of rice you have?

Seguer on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Seguer wrote: »
    I generally use a 1:1 ratio for white rice, but after you wash the rice and fill it up in that ratio, just make sure the water covers the rice and it should be fine. If you're still not sure just keep an eye on it (don't walk away).

Different types of rice require different ratios - maybe take a look at the packet of rice you have?

Yeah, the packet was thrown out ages ago. I ended up getting hungry and just chucking it in at a 1:1.5 ratio (measurements were very very rough though). It's mostly turned out all okay, with a little of it going crunchy and sticking to the bottom. I take it this means I should have added a little more water?

Trentus on
  • Options
    TechBoyTechBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That's just how rice cookers are, all the heating comes directly from the bottom so there's always going to be some crusted on the bottom.

TechBoy on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Awesome then. Thanks for your help guys!

Trentus on
  • Options
    CerpinCerpin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My mother's rule for rice makers is to put whatever quantity of rice she wants in, then add water to a depth of about an inch above the rice. Actually, instead of an inch she uses the second joint of her index finger to measure it, but as the finger is uncalibrated I thought I should suggest a different unit.

Cerpin on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It entirely depends on the rice cooker in question. I still have to experiment when I get a new one (obligatory olol I'm chinese).

If your get stuff burning and sticking on the bottom, I cheat and use a very small amount of light oil spray on the problem area of the cooker metal bowl thing.

devoir on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Generally it's two parts water for every part rice.

You just have to kind of experiment though, you may like it more with a little less water or more water.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dont forget to remove the lid, fluff and let stand before eating.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    AgrehondAgrehond Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The 1:2 rice to water ration is usually for top of the stove cooking. Every rice cooker I've ever had uses a 1:1 ratio. It's also better to let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes after it's done to 'finish' up. And yes, fluff with a fork before you serve.

And what's wrong with the crusty rice on the bottom? When we were kids, we fought for that stuff. Yum!

Agrehond on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The rice cooker I have is a 1:1.5 ratio (rice:water) plus I like to spray the bottom with PAM so that it doesn't stick to the bottom of it when I dig it out. I love rice cookers.

urahonky on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My wife lays her hand flat on the rice and goes till the water just begins to cover her hand, but she has tiny hands. The above ratios sound fine.
    If you get the little rice scooper thing and kind of fluff/flip it all as soon as it is done, it'll help steam out any excess water, as well keep the bottom from browning even further.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mine's a fancy one that never has crusty stuff on the bottom -- the whole pot's usable. I use a 1:1 ratio with my Zojirushi when I do white rice and it's perfect.

If I add more, it's a little softer/mushier, and if I don't add enough, it's a little firmer.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mine I think is 1:1.5, I've never checked though - it has a measuring cup for the rice and then fill lines for water that correspond to how many cups of rice you put in.

P.S. I have this rice cooker:
    123963132_6b5742e0f3.jpg

I am not fucking kidding.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Mine I think is 1:1.5, I've never checked though - it has a measuring cup for the rice and then fill lines for water that correspond to how many cups of rice you put in.

P.S. I have this rice cooker:
    123963132_6b5742e0f3.jpg

I am not fucking kidding.

That's hot.

urahonky on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My aunt, from across the ocean, gave me a handy way to figure out the water needed for rice in any type of container.

Put rice in a pot. AS much as you want to eat. Shake it gently until it is at an even depth. Add water until the depth of the water above the rice is the distance from the tip of your index finder to the first joint 'line'.

Bring to a boil, cover, then lower the heat. Perfect rice every time.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    most rice in a ricecooker is a 1:1 ratio. Some rice like nishiki calls for a 1:1.5 ratio, I still find that I prefer it just over 1:1 though.

Also, the cup measurement on ricecookers is not the 8 oz American cup. It is the 180ml Japanese go cup. I don't know about smaller rice cookers, but my 16cup cannot cook less than two cups properly. Therefore, I do 360 ml rice and 360 ml water.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    MooblyMoobly Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Something that helps immensely with the (calrose) rice sticking to the bottom is, apparently, washing it and letting it soak. I used to just throw it in 1:1 and cook it. Then my friend called me stupid and taught me about washing. Just rinse the rice for about 5 minutes then let it sit in water for about 30 minutes before cooking. That's it, no more sticking.

Moobly on
    steam_sig.png

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. "
    -Aldous Huxley
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Moobly wrote: »
    Something that helps immensely with the (calrose) rice sticking to the bottom is, apparently, washing it and letting it soak. I used to just throw it in 1:1 and cook it. Then my friend called me stupid and taught me about washing. Just rinse the rice for about 5 minutes then let it sit in water for about 30 minutes before cooking. That's it, no more sticking.

Always wash the rice anyway - you get rid of a whole lot of extra starch I believe, and you can really tell when the clear water you just put in is now white. Washing involves removing this white water and putting in fresh water a few times.

Seguer on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Some great advice here, thanks guys. Thread took off a lot more than I expected. What have I created?!

Washing the rice before hand seems like something I should probably do. I've read that you're meant to do it, but I'm lazy so I've never bothered. If it helps stop the sticky, then it might just be worth it. And if that doesn't help all that much, the spray oil is a great idea.
    Agrehond wrote: »
    And what's wrong with the crusty rice on the bottom? When we were kids, we fought for that stuff. Yum!

Well, it's more that if it sticks too badly to the bottom, I have to soak the pot before I can clean it.

Also, that's a cool ass cooker tsmvengy.

Now, with regards to steaming vegetables along with the rice, can I just grab any old steaming basket (that fits) and sit it on top of the rice/water, or should there be like a little lip that it can sit on? Or could I even just chuck the veggies in with the rice and just add a little more water?

Trentus on