As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Justice Dept. Releases Bush Administration Memos on Torture, Rendition, & Wiretapping

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I propose we organize a protest. Fellow D&Ders, start lining up some corporate sponsorship.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tox wrote: »
    I propose we organize a protest. Fellow D&Ders, start lining up some corporate sponsorship.

We'll need a catchy protest name...something that will draw in reporters...something with overt sexual references...

Any ideas?

Waterboards
    Are
    Not
    Good

Hrmmm, needs something else.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Savant wrote: »

There is something that torture is very useful for: extracting false confessions. I'm not sure if the Bushies knew that or that was their goal (they could have just been stupidly and maliciously trying to get info), but it is effective for coercing someone to say something that you want them to.

Of course. It's pretty obvious that if someone is causing you extreme distress, the quickest way to make him stop is to tell him what you think he wants to hear.

The people crafting these memos apparently don't follow that logic. What I don't get is how they thought the techniques they authorized were going to produce any useful information, within any useful time frame. If you urgently need info you think someone is withholding from you...why are you authorizing an 11-day method of interrogation? It's almost as if they were just trying to be dicks and get back at some ay-rabs without drawing too much attention to themselves.

Childish. Criminal. Immoral. Pointless.

Bush.

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Is it time to hang out with our WANG out?

Tox on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

There is something that torture is very useful for: extracting false confessions. I'm not sure if the Bushies knew that or that was their goal (they could have just been stupidly and maliciously trying to get info), but it is effective for coercing someone to say something that you want them to.

Of course. It's pretty obvious that if someone is causing you extreme distress, the quickest way to make him stop is to tell him what you think he wants to hear.

The people crafting these memos apparently don't follow that logic. What I don't get is how they thought the techniques they authorized were going to produce any useful information, within any useful time frame. If you urgently need info you think someone is withholding from you...why are you authorizing an 11-day method of interrogation? It's almost as if they were just trying to be dicks and get back at some ay-rabs without drawing too much attention to themselves.

Childish. Criminal. Immoral. Pointless.

Bush.

Ding.

Tox on
  • Options
    Suicide SlydeSuicide Slyde Haunts your dreams of mountains sunk below the seaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »

We'll need a catchy protest name...something that will draw in reporters...something with overt sexual references...

Any ideas?

Waterboards
    Are
    Not
    Good

Hrmmm, needs something else.

I can see the CNN crawl right now "Bush meets with WANG."

Oh and to add something meaningful, it's interesting to watch the backpedal on the US military operating domestically from 10-23-2001 to 10-06-2008. Maybe someone realized that they weren't actually going to win the election and these files weren't going to stay hidden forever.

Suicide Slyde on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Come you masters of war
    You that build all the guns
    You that build the death planes
    You that build the big bombs
    You that hide behind walls
    You that hide behind desks
    I just want you to know
    I can see through your masks

You that never done nothin'
    But build to destroy
    You play with my world
    Like it's your little toy
    You put a gun in my hand
    And you hide from my eyes
    And you turn and run farther
    When the fast bullets fly

Like Judas of old
    You lie and deceive
    A world war can be won
    You want me to believe
    But I see through your eyes
    And I see through your brain
    Like I see through the water
    That runs down my drain

You fasten the triggers
    For the others to fire
    Then you set back and watch
    When the death count gets higher
    You hide in your mansion
    As young people's blood
    Flows out of their bodies
    And is buried in the mud

You've thrown the worst fear
    That can ever be hurled
    Fear to bring children
    Into the world
    For threatening my baby
    Unborn and unnamed
    You ain't worth the blood
    That runs in your veins

How much do I know
    To talk out of turn
    You might say that I'm young
    You might say I'm unlearned
    But there's one thing I know
    Though I'm younger than you
    Even Jesus would never
    Forgive what you do

Let me ask you one question
    Is your money that good
    Will it buy you forgiveness
    Do you think that it could
    I think you will find
    When your death takes its toll
    All the money you made
    Will never buy back your soul

And I hope that you die
    And your death'll come soon
    I will follow your casket
    In the pale afternoon
    And I'll watch while you're lowered
    Down to your deathbed
    And I'll stand o'er your grave
    'Til I'm sure that you're dead

moniker on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    These memos make it almost impossible for the Justice Dept. to not bring someone up on charges. One or more of the lawyers and upper brass need the book thrown at them hard. They need to be made an example of so that no one in the world has any doubt about what we think about state sponsored torture.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The game is not over yet. I'm not sure what Obama's plan is exactly, but it looks like he may be positioning his pieces so he can start taking down some big fish by releasing these memos. There are a lot of glaring omissions in the list of people that he specified would be left alone in terms of prosecution. In particular he only said he wouldn't go after those CIA agents who operated in good faith following the guidelines of the OLC, but said nothing about the higher ups or the guys who made these memos.

You do realize that you're deluding yourself, right? Because if not, then... You are deluding yourself.

There is a better chance of a giant space anaconda appearing from the sun and encircling all of Mercury tomorrow than of the DoJ or anyone in the Obama Administration doing anything to anyone in the Bush DoJ ever.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The game is not over yet. I'm not sure what Obama's plan is exactly, but it looks like he may be positioning his pieces so he can start taking down some big fish by releasing these memos. There are a lot of glaring omissions in the list of people that he specified would be left alone in terms of prosecution. In particular he only said he wouldn't go after those CIA agents who operated in good faith following the guidelines of the OLC, but said nothing about the higher ups or the guys who made these memos.

You do realize that you're deluding yourself, right? Because if not, then... You are deluding yourself.

There is a better chance of a giant space anaconda appearing from the sun and encircling all of Mercury tomorrow than of the DoJ or anyone in the Obama Administration doing anything to anyone in the Bush DoJ ever.

This is one of those things where public pressure is helpful, I think. He (or Holder) should just appoint the damn special prosecutor and let the investigation run its course.

At the very least I think you can get Congress to make a move.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

This is one of those things where public pressure is helpful, I think. He (or Holder) should just appoint the damn special prosecutor and let the investigation run its course.

At the very least I think you can get Congress to make a move.

I think you overestimate reid's giant vagina.

Or would that be underestimate?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fortunately this is not an area where you need both Houses. And fortunately Nancy Pelosi has balls.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So, wait, we can investigate whether or not Clinton got head, but we can't investigate whether or not they tortured people?

Go USA.

Tox on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Reid is a quivering pussy of a human being.

There. Confusion averted.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Oh really? I'm not saying that it will necessarily happen, but your cynicism is clouding your judgment if you think it is impossible. I'm getting rather sick and tired of defeatists like you who give up before the day is done, and I've been seeing quite a few of them today. Stop trying to be self-fulfilling prophets.

Obama's playing the political game at the highest stakes, and if he has the public at his back, then he'll have the cover he needs to take these guys down. He has the chance to fail the public, and the public has the chance to fail him, but it is rather hasty to assume that either of those are going to be a foregone conclusion, especially given that our political climate isn't very "normal" right now.

Savant on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wait, some of you are actually suggesting prosecuting the lawyers over this?

What the hell for? Giving legal opinions?

Talk about taking it out on the wrong people.

Duki on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Duki wrote: »

The Attorney General gave a legal justification for a heinous illegal act that he basically said would be declared illegal if anyone ever found out about it. That, in a good world, should not stand uncontested. Unfortunately, we have to face political realities and such, so the chances of a prosecution actually coming is just about diddly squat.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

It doesn't have to be them. But conspiracy to commit torture is part of the law against torture. And the legal reasoning in those memos is so gross that there could be a case to be made they were wrapped up in the conspiracy.

Though, you could just go after their masters who pushed them to produce this crap. I wouldn't mind that.

Savant on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

There is such a thing as malpractice outside of the medical profession. As a practicing professional in an industry, you're expected to practice due diligence, and you're sure as hell not supposed to try to violate the law.

Lawyers like Yoo and Bybee weren't just "giving legal opinions". They were trying to create justifications for violating the law. At the very least, they should no longer hold licenses to practice law. But they should be thrown in jail, because what they were doing was aiding and abetting a criminal enterprise, which the last time I checked, was a fucking crime.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

We have hanged people for less than what they did. Technically we held Nazi Germany to a higher standard than we are holding ourselves right now, but time will tell if that remains to be the case.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Bybee got a federal judgeship out of it too.

Yeah, experience tells me that nothing will ever happen. That's why I'm cynical.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    moniker wrote: »

We have hanged people for less than what they did. Technically we held Nazi Germany to a higher standard than we are holding ourselves right now, but time will tell if that remains to be the case.

Also held to a higher standard: Liberian officials like eight months ago. The Bush administration was actually prosecuting torture in one of the most hilarious things to happen in that administration.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    moniker wrote: »

Also held to a higher standard: Liberian officials like eight months ago. The Bush administration was actually prosecuting torture in one of the most hilarious things to happen in that administration.

Read the prosecutor's commentary for that cause. Its the most sadly hilarious thing ever; it outlines why torture is not acceptable. And its from the Bush DOJ.

EDIT: Ok, it was the judge. But still:
    U.S. District Judge Cecilia M. Altonaga imposed the sentence after describing Emmanuel's actions against people viewed as rebels or opponents of his father as "sadistic, cruel and atrocious."

"It is hard to conceive of any more serious offenses against the dignity and the lives of human beings," Altonaga said. "The international community condemns torture."

Emmanuel, a U.S. citizen also known as Charles "Chuckie" Taylor Jr., was convicted in October in the first use of a 1994 law permitting prosecution in the U.S. for torture committed in foreign countries. Prosecutors had asked for an even tougher 147-year sentence to send a strong worldwide message against torture, while the defense asked for 20 years.

"Our message to human rights violators, no matter where they are, remains the same: We will use the full reach of U.S. law ... to hold you accountable for your crimes," said Matthew Friedrich, acting chief of the U.S. Justice Department's criminal division, in a statement.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I doubt any current administration will ever seek to prosecute a past administration. I don't think the precedent the current administration would be setting would sit comfortably with them. I think that's why Bush is always smiling like a loon when ever you see him on camera these days.

Yeah, I'm a cynic. Sue me.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Drake wrote: »
    I doubt any current administration will ever seek to prosecute a past administration. I don't think the precedent the current administration would be setting would sit comfortably with them. I think that's why Bush is always smiling like a loon when ever you see him on camera these days.

Teapot Dome Scandal. Albert B. Fall, U.S. Secretary of the Interior under Warren Harding was convicted of bribery and sentenced to a year in prison. He was the first Presidential cabinet member to go to prison for actions he took in office.

It has happened before, though bribery is smaller potatoes than torture is.

Savant on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    When's the next Open for Questions event? Should organize via the liberal blogs and get a special prosecutor question as high as possible.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009

Teapot Dome Scandal. Albert B. Fall, U.S. Secretary of the Interior under Warren Harding was convicted of bribery and sentenced to a year in prison. He was the first Presidential cabinet member to go to prison for actions he took in office.

That was then, this is now.

Obama's not going to pursue prosecutions for anybody. It wouldn't be politically expedient. The Republicans' screaming would get in the way of him passing other ineffectual legislation over which the Republicans will scream in equal volume.

But hey he actually released the memos so I've got to commend him for that at least, now I'm gonna go sit in a closet and mourn the dignity of man.

Rust on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Oh come on Rust, even Greenwald is semi-optimistic today that this thing is a "make him do it" kind of moment. Greenwald!

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Considering that the initiative for torture came from the office of the President, this is slightly different. I'm talking about the prosecution of virtually everyone in Bush's administration.
    Over the past week I have been asked to explain how this could have happened; who authorized the torture in our name? The Red Cross report lacks the earmarks of rogues or “rotten apples” at the bottom of some barrel.

This is what I have been telling those who ask:

Rather than Harry Truman’s famous motto on his Oval Office desk, “The Buck Stops Here,” this was a case of “The Buck Starts Here.” President George W. Bush set the tone and created the framework, with strong support from Vice President Dick Cheney and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

I'm not saying it's impossible. I just don't think we live in a world where a member of the President's Club is going to go after another member. Much less a large part of his administration, which is what we are talking about. There is no sacrificial lamb that they could throw out and say, "hey, it's all this guy's doing."

You can read the rest of Ray McGovern's article here.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well, we're starting with our aim low. John Yoo needs to spend a very, very long time in jail. For starters. And in particular.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Personally I think the fact that we know what they did, and have the capability to not prosecute them at all is a pretty large failing. The mere fact that we are choosing to ignore torture, hell that we have the ability to choose to ignore it instead of having to investigate the claims and prosecute those responsible bothers me.

Detharin on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Oh come on Rust, even Greenwald is semi-optimistic today that this thing is a "make him do it" kind of moment. Greenwald!

Greenwald needs to think these things, or else he would eat his fingers and eyes. And we need his fingers and eyes.

Rust on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Detharin wrote: »
    Personally I think the fact that we know what they did, and have the capability to not prosecute them at all is a pretty large failing. The mere fact that we are choosing to ignore torture, hell that we have the ability to choose to ignore it instead of having to investigate the claims and prosecute those responsible bothers me.

This is what Impeachment is for. Do you think that's going to happen?

Drake on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Detharin wrote: »

This is what Impeachment is for. Do you think that's going to happen?

Um, retroactively? No.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Do I think ANYTHING is going to happen besides possible some expendable flunkies being wrist slapped and hid away for 6 months before being promoted for taking one for the team? No.

Does the fact our current "administration" does not want to spend the "political capital" to "investigate" the "alleged" torture of prisoners under orders is complete and utter bullshit? Yes, yes i do. Lets just sweep it under the rug and hope everyone forgets because noone wants to admit that we both use, and condone torture despite the fact we are not supposed to.

Detharin on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So make him do it. Badger your congresscritters and the White House. Sign Leahy's petition. Or the new one at firedoglake.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Our government has long since been set up so that it can operate largely separate from the will of the people. Unless this sets the media on fire, which it apparently won't given that they're already burying it with reality-TV celebrity stories, this is going to be a weak coda to a really shitty part of this country's legacy.

Rust on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    Our government has long since been set up so that it can operate largely separate from the will of the people. Unless this sets the media on fire, which it apparently won't given that they're already burying it with reality-TV celebrity stories, this is going to be a weak coda to a really shitty part of this country's legacy.

Cynical populists are an interesting mix.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I am sure Reid and Ensign will get right on that. Especially since this is not a "partisan" problem. If they could dump it all on "red team" we might have a shot. Sadly blue team knows they are just as culpable, and does not want to risk the "backlash".

Detharin on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Rust wrote: »

Cynical populists are an interesting mix.

The trick is to hate absolutely everybody, all the time.

Rust on
This discussion has been closed.