As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Career advice (IT)

TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
The setup:
So my dad just got promoted and is having to move to Houston. This means they are selling their house, which means that when it sells I won't have a place to live (They do need my brother and I to try and stay here to help pay some expenses until it sells).

I would gladly get an apartment except I don't want to stay here (I want to go to Austin or, since family will be there, Houston).

So I just started looking for a job. I've been doing tech support for an ISP/cable company for a couple of years, doing support for business customers since July. I have basic certifications (A+, Network+) and am working on CCNA. I also have a Masters degree in an unrelated field (political science). I'm hoping for a network admin type job (eventually want to get into security), would take help desk/support if it paid enough to live on.

The questions:

* Given that I haven't decided for sure what to do if I haven't found a job before my parents house sells, should I tell my supervisor what is going on? Some other coworkers (including my team lead) know already and I'm on good terms with my supervisor.

* What should I do if the house sells and I haven't found work where I want it? If the economy wasn't in the toilet I'd just move with my parents and start looking for work but I'm hesitant to do that right now. But I would also hate to sign a lease on an apartment here, then find a job where I want to go a month later.

* Any job hunting tips are welcome :).

Tomanta on

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I would definitely tell your supervisor. You only lose something from it if it turns out he's a dick, which I'm assuming he's not. Keeping good relations with people could be key to getting future opportunities.

Austin is a pretty good place for tech work, I think? That's where I would start.

admanb on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yes, if you're on good terms with your supervisor you should explain the situation. You'll retain him as a positive reference most likely, and he may even have suggestions as to companies which are hiring in that area.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Always talk to your supervisor.

I was done all my classes at Univ. and was doing my last coop. I was graduating and they wanted to hire me on. Problem being, I was moving a 1000 km away with my girlfriend so she could work on her masters.

Supervisor totally got it, got a couple glowing of reference letters and was told to keep in touch so if I ever come back to the area, they could possibly rehire / help with a job search. Remeber finding a job is also about WHO you know.

Gilbert0 on