As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Intermittent NIC failure

devoirdevoir Registered User regular
I'm getting sporadic link loss on my desktop NIC. Everything else connected to the same switch is fine and the router itself handles traffic between other devices without an issue.

I've powercycled the switch, changed ports, swapped cables, restarted my desktop, updated drivers, run the manufacturer's diagnostic on it, everything checks out.

On the desktop itself, it shows up as cable disconnected when the rest of the network can't connect to it.

While I was writing this post, it turns out that the Marvell Yukon series (it came onboard, I wouldn't have gone out of my way to buy a Marvell) is well known for its crapness.

If anyone has any other ideas on how to actually fix the card from seeing a dropped link all the time, that'd be great, otherwise I'll get another tomorrow at work.

devoir on

• Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've come across that problem often enough on cheap onboard units (usually on really low end mobos) though it's less common these days. Generally it means 'go get a PCI NIC', unfortunately.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Roger. I suffered through two episodes of 24 streaming from that PC to my 360. Every 5-10 minutes it'd drop out, kill my stream and I'd have to wait until the NIC stabilised until I could reconnect to the media share.

Prompted me to put together a new PC. Hooray for salary sacrifice.

devoir on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, irritating as all hell. I first ran into it when my college built a bunch of Cel-a's as a project. Onboard everything (SiS video), one AGP/PCI (but right next to each other so you'd get one or the other.) ALL the onboard NICs would do that, every 10-15 mins just dump themselves out with a hardware failure. Totally worthless.

I mean honestly by now a NIC should be pretty easy to figure out. Alas...

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ego wrote: »
    Yeah, irritating as all hell. I first ran into it when my college built a bunch of Cel-a's as a project. Onboard everything (SiS video), one AGP/PCI (but right next to each other so you'd get one or the other.) ALL the onboard NICs would do that, every 10-15 mins just dump themselves out with a hardware failure. Totally worthless.

I mean honestly by now a NIC should be pretty easy to figure out. Alas...

Yes, but it's probably more of a lowest bidder type thing. Whoever can build this NIC, or entire motherboard, will get the contract. Therefore the cheapest parts and labor are going to be used.

That's my primary problem with big name computers as they seem to fail so much more often and faster than the computers I build myself by buying name brand parts.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad