As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

America's Army: Does anyone play anymore?

• Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    AA was a lot of fun, I remember how hard it was to be anything besides just a rifleman. I wanted the sniper so bad but so did everyone else, I think I only ended up using it two or three times the entire time I played.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I remember playing a lot of the Bridge map in the original. I was a surgeon with the SAW, I could hold entire flanks by myself with that gun. I'm looking froward to giving this a try.

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Excellent news here. As soon as I am back from vacation this thing is on my computer. I don't think I'll have time for this and WoW and NHL 09 League, and DS Games.. Fuck me.. Haha..

remlap13 on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    AA was a lot of fun, I remember how hard it was to be anything besides just a rifleman. I wanted the sniper so bad but so did everyone else, I think I only ended up using it two or three times the entire time I played.

Plus you had to get a high rating on the rifle marksmanship course, and complete sniper training to be a sniper. Also the rifle range wasn't exactly a cakewalk as I remember.

Such an awesome way to assign classes, I wish more games would do stuff like that.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Stevo 22Stevo 22 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sometimes I have dreams about Weapons Cache and Insurgent Camp. When I wake up to realize it isn't real, I am sad. I miss this game. I stopped before it started getting crazy though. Looking forward to 3.

Stevo 22 on
    "It's do or die." "Hey, I've died twice."
  • Options
    BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    AA is hard and often frustrating, but rewarding when you get things right.
    I've been perusing beta build gameplay footage of 3.0 and am fairly excited to try it out. Looks like they revamped everything.

It was always fun taking OpFor out with the M82A1 .50
    It's basically a portable cannon.

I stopped playing when I realized everyone and their mother played nothing but special forces maps, and INVARIABLY equipped the M4+ACOG scope+M203 combo.

Bearcat on
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I liked the terrorist weapons better.

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I remember playing a lot of the Bridge map in the original. I was a surgeon with the SAW, I could hold entire flanks by myself with that gun. I'm looking froward to giving this a try.

Oh dear god did I suck at sniper when I used to play this game. People hated me cuz I could never hit anything. But I couldn't ever figure it out, I would ace the training, I had the whole hold your breath thing down, but try as I might, I just couldn't hit anything during a real game.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    VoodooV wrote: »

Oh dear god did I suck at sniper when I used to play this game. People hated me cuz I could never hit anything. But I couldn't ever figure it out, I would ace the training, I had the whole hold your breath thing down, but try as I might, I just couldn't hit anything during a real game.
    I used to tell myself you had to be an LPB to be a good sniper, as I had the same problem. I don't know if I was right -- and who says LPB any more, anyway? -- but it'll be interesting to see if anything has changed.

With all of the anti-cheat provisions, you'd think the server and client could be trusted to cooperate and fairly resolve sniper shots. The user shouldn't have to lead a moving target by the bullet flight time PLUS their ping.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wasnt really around for much of the other AAs, but with 3 coming this wednesday I'm actually kind of intrigued by combat medic. I always liked being medic in all the other games so I'm wondering what its like, if you actually patch up people on the battlefield or if its just a nice little red cross you get if you complete medical training

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    Leitner wrote: »
    I haven't played this game. But the fact that you always see yourself as an American and your opponents as terrorists is the greatest argument for games being art I've ever heard. It's simply delightful.

It also confused the hell out of me for a while until I realized what they did there.

Ahahaha. I've been wondering lately if there was ever a game where in multiplayer you were always red fighting against blue, for example. Good to know something actually did. Idle curiosity++

Arrath on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »

Plus you had to get a high rating on the rifle marksmanship course, and complete sniper training to be a sniper. Also the rifle range wasn't exactly a cakewalk as I remember.

Such an awesome way to assign classes, I wish more games would do stuff like that.

Yeah, the qualifications were the most 'realistic' part of the game, probably. Though, once they implemented better sights and redid the rifle range getting expert marksmanship was a bit easier. Sniper training was pretty easy once you unlocked it. The SERE stuff was annoying as hell. <.<
    I wasnt really around for much of the other AAs, but with 3 coming this wednesday I'm actually kind of intrigued by combat medic. I always liked being medic in all the other games so I'm wondering what its like, if you actually patch up people on the battlefield or if its just a nice little red cross you get if you complete medical training

From what I remember, in the current America's Army you'd get medic classification by taking some classes (which were mostly lectures with tests, followed by a quick demo scenario showing how to heal people). When injured in combat, you'd walk slower and have worse aiming. Additionally, if your wounds were severe enough then you could bleed out. Healing was accomplished Left4Dead style. Go up to teammate, press your heal button, administer bandages over a few seconds. You would, of course, only have a limited number of field dressings.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well I'm preloading, may as well give AA3 a shot. It looks pretty good and I can't argue with the price tag.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, I'm the same camp as most. AA1 was alright, haven't played for a long time, and I've preloaded AA3.

Suppose I should pick up another headset. My last one died. Curse my fidgety habits when I was using it at work eventually ruining the wire.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've always found headsets to have poor mic quality, even my friends with 70$ headsets they still have a buzz or static or something about them. I just buy seperate USB stand mics that have good reviews and they have always worked well for me after you get the levels setup. Plus this way if the mic or the headphones break, I only have to replace one.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Velmeran wrote: »
    I've always found headsets to have poor mic quality, even my friends with 70$ headsets they still have a buzz or static or something about them. I just buy seperate USB stand mics that have good reviews and they have always worked well for me after you get the levels setup. Plus this way if the mic or the headphones break, I only have to replace one.

Yeah but I don't have room on my desk for a stand mic, especially since I have cats that just sprawl out everywhere and don't give two shits if I move them, they'll come right back. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I played bridge the most as well. Sometimes you'd have a glorious shift forward, beating back the enemy assault single handedly with the SAW and chasing them across the middle section. It rarely paid off to go farther than that since you ran the risk of being picked off by the fuckers sniping out of the windows. Better to give supporting fire to the rest of the team from then on I found.

Kelor on
  • Options
    vrstvrst Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think the people behind Team America: World Police should make a remake of this game. Possible include the team from American Dad.

It would be glorious.

vrst on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, I thought this dropped today? What time GMT does it unlock?

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The steam page says:
    Available: June 17th, 2009
    This game will unlock in approximately 1 hour

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, it's unlocked, looks like the servers are getting a hammering I think.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    For as long as I can remember, any significant update for Americas Army completely broke the entire internet.

Bearcat on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So nobody else can get this to unlock right now, right?

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mine has finished decrypting, downloading now, though I'm using a server on pretty much the other side of the world.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Adrien wrote: »
    So nobody else can get this to unlock right now, right?

Try restarting Steam. Double clicking it in my list didn't do anything, but now that I've restarted Steam, it seems to be working on making the AA preload playable.

EDIT: Or not, it still says it's unreleased in my games list.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I already preloaded, but it's downloading some additional content apparently. I'm at 64%, 212 KBs.

Bearcat on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Of course they would unlock it while I'm at work, those fuckers. I guess I'll have to wait till I get home. Hopefully the servers won't be getting buttfucked by then and I won't have any problems with it.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    Of course they would unlock it while I'm at work, those fuckers. I guess I'll have to wait till I get home. Hopefully the servers won't be getting buttfucked by then and I won't have any problems with it.

Yeah, right now the servers are mega buttfucked so all you're missing is the chance to ask yourself why the game doesn't give you an option to exit while it's stuck verifying a username.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Darmak wrote: »

Yeah, right now the servers are mega buttfucked so all you're missing is the chance to ask yourself why the game doesn't give you an option to exit while it's stuck verifying a username.

Or waiting an hour and a half for it to update so you can launch it, even though you already preloaded it.

Morkath on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I haven't played AA in yonkers now. Do I still have to suffer through endless boring training sessions before I get to shoot someone? Are there bots, so I don't have to play with the "community"?

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    We don't know yet -- I don't know about anyone else, but while I'm finally able to play, all I'm able to do is endlessly repeat the fitness challenge course and never get credit for it. Got my score up to expert on that though!

It'll let me continue to do the rifle marksman training, which I can now get a perfect 40/40 on -- but I don't get credit for that either. After getting expert marksman I can only do the fitness challenge again -- I can't even repeat the marksman training I just finished.

Clearly we need to give them more time to get their act together.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hope it remembers my old tag.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can't even access it, it still says its unreleased:x

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It's not working anyway. The training still doesn't work, and you can't join MP games.

Got a 39/40 on the marksman on my first try too. Only missed one because my hand twitched. =(

Honestly I am a little disappointed, I expected better from the army.

The new additions seems cool, the rolls are interesting, and I seem to not have to fight the rifle as much as I had to in 2.0 during marksman training.

e: Heh the bad guys are the NME faction.

Morkath on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Credit stuff seems to be up for me, I think.

Took me a while to get it working, though. Forgot that Peer Guardian blocks government IPs by default.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'll give it a day or two, training credit isn't saving on my account.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm downloading this tonight while I'm at work. I was in the mood for a new shooter, and all of my friends can get this, so cool beans.

Do you still always play as Americans versus Bad Guys, no mater what team you're on?

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Huh. I was going to ask if this allows you to use your old account from the original, but apparently they delete account info after a certain amount of time. :?

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You need a new account anyway voro, however you can link it to your old account.

Also it's still not saving data.

And yes Mega, your always USA, and your opponents are the NME faction. I believe both sides use the same guns now too, so you can pick up ammo from the fallen maybe. This seems odd to me since I don't think it's allowed in the military, in case of boobytraps, so I may be thinking of something else.

Morkath on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    On the main site they list different weapons for the oposing faction, so I don't think that's accurate. Although I haven't played yet, so meh.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?