As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

America's Army: Does anyone play anymore?

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I didn't know that gas powered scooters and designer handbags were part of the US army standard issue.

so should I even bother waiting for my AA3 to validate or should I just go to bed and come back another time when stuff works?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MegaMek wrote: »
    On the main site they list different weapons for the oposing faction, so I don't think that's accurate. Although I haven't played yet, so meh.

However, it looks like firing modes finally line up. The 3-round burst M16 isn't paired against a full-auto AK-47 like in the original. At least it will be a bit less ridiculous.

Edit: Or not. They've got a semi-auto only US weapon against a full-auto opposing force weapon? That'll be as bad as, if not worse than, an enemy coming at you with an AK and firing 3 round bursts, and then you suddenly being able to fire it full-auto.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Voro wrote: »
    On the main site they list different weapons for the oposing faction, so I don't think that's accurate. Although I haven't played yet, so meh.

However, it looks like firing modes finally line up. The 3-round burst M16 isn't paired against a full-auto AK-47 like in the original. At least it will be a bit less ridiculous.

Edit: Or not. They've got a semi-auto only US weapon against a full-auto opposing force weapon? That'll be as bad as, if not worse than, an enemy coming at you with an AK and firing 3 round bursts, and then you suddenly being able to fire it full-auto.

call it American ingenuity. them crazy t'rrists are so simple they don't even know their gun has select fire!

acidlacedpenguin on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wait, which weapons are we talking about here, regarding semi-auto/full-auto?

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think I have a problem over here
    No wait, just a box.
    aasnaaaaaaaaaaaake.jpg

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited June 2009
    For this one (AA3), I was comparing the M16A4 DMR and the OBRAN KNP. I won't have the game installed for a while, but those are the only assault rifles listed on the web site apart from the M16A4 MWS and OBRAN NP, which match up on single-shot and 3-round burst. Maybe they're missing a few from in-game, I won't know for at least a couple of hours.

Voro on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh man, this launch failure is so much nostalgia right now. The original AA's launch failures where the exact same too which adds to the flavor. The authentication servers were down. All you could do was the marksmanship which wouldn't save. Then after 3 days it became possible to maybe almost join a lagged out MOUT server that 4 billion people where also spamming join to.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    agoaj wrote: »
    I think I have a problem over here
    No wait, just a box.
    aasnaaaaaaaaaaaake.jpg

-1 pt for deviating from the course.
    +1 pt for correctly identifying a non-threat.
    -1 pt posthumously for mysteriously dying before completing training.

Morkath on
    edited June 2009
    Oh man, this launch failure is so much nostalgia right now. The original AA's launch failures where the exact same too which adds to the flavor. The authentication servers were down. All you could do was the marksmanship which wouldn't save. Then after 3 days it became possible to maybe almost join a lagged out MOUT server that 4 billion people where also spamming join to.

It makes me fearful for our nations defense.

"Oh god they are invading, send out the tanks, all of them!"
    "We can't, the garage door is locked up and won't open!"

Morkath on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Welp, I can't play due to having a 64 bit version of Windows. It tries to run DXSETUP.EXE after unlocking the game and it gives me an error.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited June 2009
    is it 64bit XP?

I have 64bit Vista and it works fine. Though I can't create an account or play the game since auth servers are down.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I had problems with the auth servers earlier in the day but was finally able to save training progress.

Hawk on
  • travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    64bit version of Win7 works fine as well, though I can't authenticate yet. Giving it up for now anyway, will try back next week or July some time. They'll likely have a patch out by then.

travathian on
    edited June 2009
    travathian wrote: »
    64bit version of Win7 works fine as well, though I can't authenticate yet. Giving it up for now anyway, will try back next week or July some time. They'll likely have a patch out by then.

I'm running 64 bit Win 7 and it's been giving me problems. I may just delete it and try downloading it again, see if that works.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd really like to play this, but when ever I go to training an click on Enlist it will always freeze right there.

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
    edited June 2009
    Woohoo, finally was able to make an account today. Game didn't save my training tho. Managed to hit 35/40 in my marksman qualification :(

MegaMek on
    edited June 2009
    The servers are running way behind. I only just got my basic obstacle course completion on the personnel jacket. That was from a few hours ago. Still no marksmanship training, but the game hit and endless loop and never showed the post-game screen after trying to connect to the server.

So yeah, your progress might be there but you could be waiting a while.

Voro on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Wow. I had *completely* forgotten about MOUT. Between my inability to find a server and the way the game servers weren't communicating properly with the accounts server after missions, it must have taken me three months of playing that one map to finally finish training.

SammyF on
    edited June 2009
    Woohoo, finally was able to make an account today. Game didn't save my training tho. Managed to hit 35/40 in my marksman qualification :(

That score's good enough to peel potatoes!
    Do better.
    There's really no excuse to not have a 40 in that marksman course. Just hold your breathe for and release after every shot. Aim for the chest for close/midrange shots. And roughly for the neck/head for long range.

Morkath on
    edited June 2009
    Morkath wrote: »

That score's good enough to peel potatoes!
    Do better.
    There's really no excuse to not have a 40 in that marksman course. Just hold your breathe for and release after every shot. Aim for the chest for close/midrange shots. And roughly for the neck/head for long range.
    I scored 40 with your mother.
    Yeah, I know, that's what I was going to do. But now I'm going to wait until their servers are actually working before I try anything else :P

MegaMek on
  • VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I ran my own dedicated server, and when I get into that, I open the multiplayer tab up, see some online games, join them (no authentication?) and its about 16 people sitting there while the server is stuch and won't start any matches. Pretty awesome launch.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So is this worth playing yet?

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No, but it made me remember that I own CoD4, and that's still worth playing.

SammyF on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I agree about training -- it seems to be saving, but lagging way behind.

I work weird hours, so last night I stayed up until like 3 AM. Around 1:30 AM I completed obstacles and marksmanship (expert on both) and it saved! I then did weapons training. After each of the three subparts it contacted the server and appeared to save each bit of progress. After the grenades I went and talked to the guy and it showed each section had 100% accuracy and the overall score was Failed.

I quit and exited and stopped playing. Tried to come back later that night and the servers were totally down.

I logged on today and it showed I had completed weapons training, so I could move on to combat lifesaving. That'll be interesting: it looks like when you heal a guy on the battlefield it'll show you one of four symptoms and you have to pick the matching treatment. It'll take a while to memorize that well enough to be able to do that in a real match, bullets flying overhead and everything.

So I completed combat lifesaving training but it didn't unlock anything. I fully expect later tonight I'll log in and it'll show I passed that and it'll have MOUT unlocked for me.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
    edited June 2009
    yeah, my 2 initial trainings are showing as completed now, I did the weapon familirization, and got an expert on the grenade launcher and saw, and passed the grenades, and it said I failed all 3. =/

I don't deal well with hand thrown grenades for some reason, never had.

MP still isn't working, I can get into the server, but the rounds are just cycling with no gameplay, and no weapon options.

Morkath on
    edited June 2009
    Did you guys download the game through Steam? The game is still Freezing every time I click the Enlist button.

edited June 2009
    yeah, steam version

Morkath on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I got my first training done, but the game is freezing whenever I say "Begin Training" now.

Jragghen on
  • AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh, right, this is America's Army. For some reason because it was on Steam I assumed it would work right.
    Did you guys download the game through Steam? The game is still Freezing every time I click the Enlist button.

That's a problem with the auth servers. Yes, really.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Adrien wrote: »
    Oh, right, this is America's Army. For some reason because it was on Steam I assumed it would work right.

That's a problem with the auth servers. Yes, really.

If you've got Peer Guardian 2, remember that it blocks government IPs, which will make the game seem like it's hanging.

Jragghen on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, I remember these issues happening in the original client, first day everyone would be trying to get certs so they could play online, and the servers would fail and noone could get their certs.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    your supposed to be able to play online without certs now, just none of the games work, even if you get into them.

Morkath on
    edited June 2009
    I just found this rumor on Kotaku. Apparently the Devs where let go one day after launch and everything was moved to a different company.

edited June 2009
    Man, I remember these issues happening in the original client, first day everyone would be trying to get certs so they could play online, and the servers would fail and noone could get their certs.

I think they're on to something with being able to cause a client-side freeze, though.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Morkath wrote: »
    your supposed to be able to play online without certs now, just none of the games work, even if you get into them.

I played a couple of rounds, but servers seem to die when teams switch roles. I've only been in attack/defend servers though.

Voro on
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, I'll give this one a miss, then. A shame they haven't worked out the worst annoyances after all this time.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    Roshin wrote: »
    Well, I'll give this one a miss, then. A shame they haven't worked out the worst annoyances after all this time.

In fairness, AA has always been a really fun, unique game. When it's worked.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Well I redownloaded the game and it worked and I got everything set up but with the authentication servers still being all wonky and stuff I'll probably wait for a bit till they get everything fixed.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Says my copy is pre loaded but unreleased. So I guess I have to wait.

FyreWulff on
    edited June 2009
    Do we have an ETA on a fix yet? I'd like to shoot some people up.

MegaMek on