As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ipod hard drive troubles.

AyeJayeAyeJaye Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I just dropped my ipod and it stopped working. Says to connect to itunes to format it but that doesn't fix it (the hard drive is most likely screwed up somehow - files are still there but if I actually access them and play a song, bits of other songs are in it). I checked out a repair site but they want $140 (and that's on sale) so I figured I'd see what else I can do first.

So, see what else I can do for me, H/A! Come on, I haven't got all day.
<3

delicious.
AyeJaye on

• Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Did you try the reset? Holding both the middle and the Menu buttons?

blakfeld on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What sort of ipod is it? I've repaired all kinds, and it's all pretty simple to do. There's a good chance the hard drive connection cable simply got whacked out of place, and so the connection is spotty. That or the drive itself is busted. If the cable is loose, all you need to do is open it up and reseat it. Older ipods are much easier to open and repair in general, so I hope yours isn't brand new. Look for a guide on Google and you'll find tons.

If you're really out of luck, I worked for the guys at www.irepair.ca, they're pretty good. Pricey, though.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    Pvt JonesPvt Jones Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I had to just replace my iPod when its hard drive broke, but that was a first generation old school model. Repair costs were pretty close to the expense of just buying a new one, so I did that. Apple does reconditioned iPods - like officially sanctioned second-hand ones. I picked up one of those and it has been great.

They do tend to break after a year. I've accepted it as part of their natural life cycle.

Pvt Jones on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    One of the many things I learned about ipods is that yes, they are meant to break. I'd say the mean time till breakage is about 2 years, at which point the battery will die at the very least. Then Apple gouges you for battery replacement (where they actually jsut give you a re-conditioned ipod). Don't send it in to apple - use a third party if you must send it to someone, or do it yourself!

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Thanks for the replies, guys. At the very least I can now just buy an HD somewhere around here and not have to pay shipping and repair and stuff.

I disconnected and reconnected both cables going to the HD. Should the circuit board near the battery and the cables that connect the screen to it be wobbly? It's moving around so I think it might have snapped but the screen is still working.

Oh shit I get the frowny face now when I turn it on.

AyeJaye on
    delicious.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sounds like a dead drive then. If you hold it to your ear when you turn it on, you should be able to hear the drive. Haev a listen and see fi it sounds broken (i.e. lots of clunks, any scrapes, etc.) What sort of iPod is it anyway? I might have a drive lying arond for it.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It's a video. Doesn't really click any more than it used to when it worked. Also the frowny face was because I hadn't connected it right. I looked around and tried to do the hard drive diagnostic thing - 20 retracts, 10 reallocs and 56 pending sectors so it really does seem that the HD is borked beyond repair at this point. I would gladly buy one of your video HDs if you don't mind charging less than the $125-something that it seems to go for. Thanks again for all the help.

AyeJaye on
    delicious.