As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Static WAN IPs and inexpensive routers

pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I just recently inherited a business cable account with 5 static WAN IP addresses. I'm looking for an inexpensive off-the-shelf router that will support these WAN IP addresses and have the ability to manage/forward them. All of the ones I have found are $1000+ enterprise class, only purchased through VARs, expensive deals. Does anyone know of any sub$500, brick and mortar purchasable routers that will support multiple WAN IP's? Like Linksys, Netgear or DLink?

edit: I'm not opposed to updating to unsupported firmware if that helps.

steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0
pacbowl on

• Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This can be done with DD-WRT and likely most other replacement firmwares.

You could also look for a Juniper Netscreen NS5 series router. They can be had for under $500 on ebay or craigslist if you keep an eye out. A company I worked for used them at every office and they are very nice.

Also what are you doing with the 5 IPs? Do you have 5 computers that need their own IP? Do you just want to use the 5 IPs that are available for the hell of it? Unless you're exposing multiple servers you don't really need multiple IPs.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    exoplasm wrote: »

You could also look for a Juniper Netscreen NS5 series router. They can be had for under $500 on ebay or craigslist if you keep an eye out. A company I worked for used them at every office and they are very nice.

Also what are you doing with the 5 IPs? Do you have 5 computers that need their own IP? Do you just want to use the 5 IPs that are available for the hell of it? Unless you're exposing multiple servers you don't really need multiple IPs.

This. You're going to be limited by the set bandwidth across all IPs anyways, so unless you need to host five conflicting sets of services and have them all externally facing, you don't need to use five static IPs.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You can do the same thing by installing a Switch between your modem and multiple routers.

Modem
    |
    Switch
    | | | | |
    RRR RR
    (Routers)

The switch can be any 10/100Mbit with 6+ ports (1 for the Modem, 1 each for the router WANs).

Ruckus on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    exoplasm wrote: »

This. You're going to be limited by the set bandwidth across all IPs anyways, so unless you need to host five conflicting sets of services and have them all externally facing, you don't need to use five static IPs.

This.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well for one I would like to RDP into different machines without having to registry hack the default RDP ports. I also have 2 slingboxes I'd like to switch between and would like to host a few dedicated game servers as well and not have to deal with NAT and port forwarding. Hosting a couple personal domains also comes into play without having to use IIS or setup an ASP solution.

My roommate, being a network engineer, signed us up for a business account (2.5 down, 1.0 up + 5 statics) and for some reason his old Netscreen won't handle multiple WAN IPs. I'm not sure what all he plans to do with them but he asked me if I knew of any cheap devices that would do it. I didn't know so I asked HA.

I'll look into the DD-WRT and the Netscreen NS5. Thanks

edit: I just talked to my roommate and apparently his netscreen will do it, but it only has 10mb ports. Enough for the internet, but slow for the LAN.

pacbowl on
    steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah I guess I could see the issue if you didn't want to port forward. However a switch plugged directly into the modem would work fine for what you want. You can get away with pretty much all of that with multiple ports and port forwarding, even the first example.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    pacbowl wrote: »
    Well for one I would like to RDP into different machines without having to registry hack the default RDP ports. I also have 2 slingboxes I'd like to switch between and would like to host a few dedicated game servers as well and not have to deal with NAT and port forwarding. Hosting a couple personal domains also comes into play without having to use IIS or setup an ASP solution.

My roommate, being a network engineer, signed us up for a business account (2.5 down, 1.0 up + 5 statics) and for some reason his old Netscreen won't handle multiple WAN IPs. I'm not sure what all he plans to do with them but he asked me if I knew of any cheap devices that would do it. I didn't know so I asked HA.

I'll look into the DD-WRT and the Netscreen NS5. Thanks

edit: I just talked to my roommate and apparently his netscreen will do it, but it only has 10mb ports. Enough for the internet, but slow for the LAN.
    What kind of Netscreen do you have? A 5GT (what I use at the house, the series before the SS) cost me $150 shipped and new from ebay. Use your current netscreen (unless that is 2.5MB down and not 2.5Mb which would be 20Mb) and connect it to a 100Mbps switch.

Krikee on