As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Saturday Morning Watchmen (Spoilers)

• Options
    Drunk PooroDrunk Pooro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Don't know if this has to be spoiled, but;
    So is Jon supposed to be Jesus? Is this movie basically saying that religion is an outdated tool that has become a threat?

Swing and a miss, champ

Drunk Pooro on
    poorooas.gif
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    isn't drunk pooro redundant?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Drunk PooroDrunk Pooro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Druhim wrote: »

Ba-dum-tish

Drunk Pooro on
    poorooas.gif
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Pooro stop providing onomatapeas you're drunk

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Ba-dum-tish
    :mrgreen:

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    #pipe wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    THAT'S the other thing that irked me, the missing pipes.

I'm right here

<3

sarukun on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Don't know if this has to be spoiled, but;
    So is Jon supposed to be Jesus? Is this movie basically saying that religion is an outdated tool that has become a threat?

wat

sarukun on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    this movie is saying that Jon is badass

FAQ on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    #pipe wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    THAT'S the other thing that irked me, the missing pipes.

I'm right here

First thing I thought when he said this.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited March 2009
    also the prison break fight still didn't really work for me even after seeing in the context of the whole film

minor complaint though

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I will say that the trailer for Star Trek got me much more jazzed for the film than I expected.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Jon was a god. He followed Jesus's journey to a T basically. He was an unexplainable accident at first. Then he was declared a superhero, like a prophet. Was then proclaimed a God on national television. J.o.n. Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus spent three days in hell, Jon spent three days on mars (i think I don't remember the time frame).

As for the religion is a threat stuff;

This all happens in another universe where we won in Vietnam, and from there problems started brewing. But if you look at it as if Jon is Jesus, and that man did declare Jon a God on TV, then the religion is what won them Vietnam. From there Nixon was able to turn the country into an empire, simply because God was on our side. But having God on our side didn't stop the Russians from making threats and arming themselves. God was their only solution, and it wasn't working.

The only thing that stopped them from fighting each other, was banding together and expelling god from society. Also, they both left earth for the same reason, because they thought it was best for humanity. One died for the sins of humanity, while another left so we could once again rely on each other.

But the message with the way Jon leaves is that depending on some mystical figure that is unable to connect with humanity to save you from yourself is only going to lead to you falling back on nothing. But if you depend on the people who surround you to help you in life, you'll find a much sturdier base.

But I guess you guys don't agree.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh man, I thought you were joking.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Alright, fine.

Have your thread back, babies.

Move past the awkward, I'll leave you to your precious thread.

[tiny]Assholes.[/tiny]

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited March 2009
    Why are you guys being dicks to Filler? That's not a theme or symbolism I'd previously thought of when I'd read the book but it seems perfectly valid.

Author's intent is a bullshit measure of thematic elements in a story anyway. Derrida ftw.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Awww, thanks backwards.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Alright, fine.

[tiny]Assholes.[/tiny]

Man I got your back Filler. That isn't a commonly accepted theme from the book but I think you make a strong case for it, whereas everyone else is dumping on it without providing any counter-analysis whatsoever.

edit: this means I'm entitled to fellatio

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    bullshit

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Alright, fine.

[tiny]Assholes.[/tiny]

Man I got your back Filler. That isn't a commonly accepted theme from the book but I think you make a strong case for it, whereas everyone else is dumping on it without providing any counter-analysis whatsoever.

Honestly, never read the books, so that may be where the issue lies. I don't know the source material as well as the others, so the movie could have deviated and I wouldn't know.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    bullshit

Alan Moore is so fucking muddled and vague and need of a proper editor in the book that you can hardly lay claim to one theme or another

He toys with probably 50 throughout the series and barely manages to emphasize the watchmaker god one above the rest

dude straight up cannot kill his darlings

as a result I'm pretty OK with a wide range of thematic interpretation.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    bullshit

Alan Moore is so fucking muddled and vague and need of a proper editor in the book that you can hardly lay claim to one theme or another

He toys with probably 50 throughout the series and barely manages to emphasize the watchmaker god one above the rest

the main problem with Filler's interpretation isn't with as much with how he sees Jon, but how far off base he is about Jesus just so he can pigeonhole Jon into being a Christ figure

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    bullshit

the main problem with Filler's interpretation isn't with as much with how he sees Jon, but how far off base he is about Jesus just so he can pigeonhole Jon into being a Christ figure

Well, I'll give you that. My knowledge of Christ is tiny, but if you could be more specific I might see where you're coming from.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Also I loved the movie.

It was incredibly interesting, and I really need to see it again to get more out of it, both on a thematic level and to analyze as a movie.

At the barest level, I commend Snyder for making a movie that was unrelentingly Not-Hollywood. They clearly rejected Hollywood tropes and bullshit at basically every turn and that requires tremendous balls. He also managed to convey so much of the same experience of reading the book, even to me, someone who's already read it. Even though I know what's coming, the scene with the kidnapper and Rorschach and the little girl made me incredibly uncomfortable, and even kind of nauseous. To re-create those feelings -- of awe, discomfort, humor -- and make them new again, is a serious credit to him as a director.

Also, it takes talent to create something so faithful both in literal terms and in spirit to the source material.

As a movie though, my feelings towards it are very complex. Was it good or bad? As someone who has read the book, I don't know if I can honestly answer that. I think someone who's never read it might be so confused that on some level it just fails at basic storytelling. I'm not sure about this, though.

Some of the acting felt stilted and uneven, maybe wooden. However, I think this is actually intentional. When Sally says "Guess he finally got his punch-line" you kind of want to groan, but that's straight from the book. Some of that melodramatic dialogue works in a comic book, but not so much in a movie. At the same time, when all these moments of strained dialogue occur, Snyder resists the Hollywood impulse to go for EMOTING and melodrama, and restrains his actors, letting the lines be the lines.

In the end, it was something I've never really seen before on screen, and for that alone I give the movie a ton of credit. Was it really even a movie? I'm not really sure, so it's hard to say if it was a good or bad movie. All I know is I enjoyed the hell out of it

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    bullshit

Well, I'll give you that. My knowledge of Christ is tiny, but if you could be more specific I might see where you're coming from.
    you pretty much completely fucked up in just about everything you say about Jesus in an attempt to say Jon is a Christ figure
    you just said it yourself, you don't know shit about Jesus
    so you can't really compare Jon to someone you don't know enough of to even talk about
    whether he was real or not

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I should also say, I really enjoyed the movie. I thought it was awesome.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    bullshit

you pretty much completely fucked up in just about everything you say about Jesus in an attempt to say Jon is a Christ figure
    so you can't really compare Jon to someone you don't know enough of to even talk about

Well really you don't need to make it about Jesus. The rest of his analysis can still hold up if you take out the Jesus analogue part. I think some of us just get overtrained by English teachers to find Christ-symbols in literary works. Not that they don't exist, but not every fucking book has one come on already.

However the point about religion being presented as a threat to unite against is an interesting theme and one I haven't heard much of before.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    bullshit

Well, not really. I mean both Jon and Jesus were conceived through miracles. Immaculate conception is a miracle right? Well, what would you call a man piecing himself back together after being torn apart at the molecular level? I'd call that a miracle. Both figures dazzled the crowds with mystical feats, one turned water into wine and multiplied fishes and loaves, the other developed a supposedly free energy source. Both were destroyed by the people they were trying to help. Only one was killed and the other was demonized. Either way they are both supposed to be in the sky above us watching us. I'd say at the very least, there are enough parallels to basic Christ knowledge.

Also, telling me I'm wrong does not prove I'm wrong. I'm just asking you to have the courtesy to point out one or two flaws in what I saw. I'm not saying debunk every last one of them, but say something like, 'Well jesus didn't actually turn wine to water, that's a myth' and I might understand better as to why I'm wrong.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wonder when Synder is going to make the movie he really wants to make. 100% slow-mo.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    that's gonna be his next one with all the hot chicks

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I like Filler's theory. I don't think Jon's life paralleled Jesus' event-for-event or anything, but you'd be hard pressed to write a character like Jon's and not have some religious allusions.

Also, I liked the song choice of "Hallelujah", it was the way the sex scene itself was filmed that bothered me a bit. A good sex scene is not only erotic but can tell volumes about the characters within it, this one missed its chance with the latter (Malin Ackerman took care of the former however).

Butler on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    i'm excited to watch this tonight.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    CoreoCoreo Sydney AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Okay so I saw this movie today at the imax and wow it was amazing. It needs a second watch, because it is a lot to take in, I watched it with a friend and my girlfriend. My friend has read the comic, as have I, my girlfriend didn't.

She said it was an interesting movie but at times it became really hard to follow and as a result she became bored towards the end. I can understand this, it had a lot going on and demanded a huge amount of attention to people who didn't read the comic. She also gave the comment "blue man penis is blue".

Oh and my heart was breaking right at the end. Which didn't happen in the comic for me, so that says something.

Did anyone else think that the sound quality on this movie was amazing?

There were parts in the movie where I would hear people talking in the background and I was going to turn around and yell at people because I thought it was the group behind me or something.

Coreo on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    it's true, little jon is blue.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    augh I wish I was seeing this tonight

waiting until tomorrow to catch it in IMAX is killing me

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    ZuelZuel Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have a strict no-blue-wangs policy in my movie watching

Zuel on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    silver wangs are ok though.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zuel wrote: »
    I have a strict no-blue-wangs policy in my movie watching

Now now, beggars can't be choosers.

Butler on
  • Options
    ZuelZuel Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Bedlam wrote: »
    silver wangs are ok though.

Yes, this is true

Zuel on
  • Options
    RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    it really felt felt disjointed

stop and go at some parts
    and the relationships could have been more developed

Robcham on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Filler's interpretation is interesting, don't be so mean.

Muse Among Men on
This discussion has been closed.