As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marriage License

PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
So I was thinking that the suggested 'quiz' before registration activation would be a good idea. I'd like to support the implementation of including the forum rules and general guidlines in the registration email, and also a new activation page that contains a quiz prospective PA members must answer with 100% correctness before they can officially post. If you're really too busy to think up one, I can write up a comprehensive rules email and sample quiz questions, it being the holidays and all. I'd really like to see this implemented, if not just to observe how well basic education works in quelling idiocy.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
Paladin on

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2003
    That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Tube on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2003
    That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

And there was me thinking someone was going to suggest getting PAForums a licence to hold weddings so we could have those online marriage things with Ramius as a certified Registrar or someshit.

Did I beat his stupid?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2003
    If not for the differencing between knowing the rules and giving a damn about the rules, it might be worth the effort. I don't think the problem is with idiots so much as with trolling idiots, though.

*I have no clue what the hell I was trying to say with that first clause. Like, none. And I'm going to hunt down whoever decided it would be a good idea to give the professors an incredibly out-of-date core collection list to order books off of, and I'm going to wipe their name from the face of the earth.

Basically, that would help for the idiots, not for the trolls, of whom there seem to be more.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    Well, there have been a lot of people that give the rules a miss right out of registration. I agree that this won't solve the more serious cases, as they mean to hurt the forums, but if you technically couldn't post without comprehending the rules at least once, it would eliminate the "Hi, I'm new!" and "Check out this site" threads that result from sheer ignorance.

And I think you're exaggerating a bit, CT.

Paladin on
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    I'm not, it's absolutely the most ridiculous suggestion ever. Go home and think about what you've done. A quiz. Jesus Christ.

Tube on
  • Options
    futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2003
    I'm not, it's absolutely the most ridiculous suggestion ever. Go home and think about what you've done. A quiz. Jesus Christ.

i agree.

and the rules (while similar) are different across the forums

futility on
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    If it's so stupid then why did I have to do something like that when I applied for a loan for college?

I can think of much dumber ideas than that, come on. You just don't have enough imagination.

Paladin on
  • Options
    WallyWally Registered User regular
    edited December 2003
    Bad idea, we need an occasional "Hi, I'm new." thread to vent our frustration on, the forum just wouldn't be the same without them.

Wally on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2003
    I say we assemble a brute squad. Anybody who doesn't follow the rules gets a visit from said brute squad and gets the stupid beat out of him.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    KMFurDMKMFurDM Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2003
    I say we assemble a brute squad. Anybody who doesn't follow the rules gets a visit from said brute squad and gets the stupid beat out of him.

Sounds good enough for a Flash cartoon. Dramatic music with avatars bouncing around and a final yelling of "Brute Squad"...then the flaming begins.

KMFurDM on
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2003
    "In the Brute Squad? You are the Brute Squad!"

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    Paladin wrote:
    If it's so stupid then why did I have to do something like that when I applied for a loan for college?

I can think of much dumber ideas than that, come on. You just don't have enough imagination.

god I hope you're being sarcastic, but if you're not...

This place is an online forum and you're here for free. A college loan deals with money and is something that is regulated. If you paid to get in here then maybe there would be some entry regulation.

It's odd that not many people realize/respect the fact that they don't own the forums noobs and elitist regulars both (myself included at some times)

futility on
  • Options
    MachineHeadMachineHead Registered User regular
    edited December 2003
    Paladin, if there were a test to be allowed to post here, you would have failed.

MachineHead on
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2003
    I still like my idea of "The Short Bus" area of the forum to send the stupid people. Disable bbcode, avatars and sigs. Instead of temp banning someone, send the to the short bus.

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2003
    Sounds like Africa.

A duck! on
  • Options
    BergyBergy Registered User regular
    edited December 2003
    I ride the short bus to the forums.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
    I've been trying to reach you, but your extension cord doesn't reach that far.
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    That loan app thing ... that was to make sure you knew the rules so when it came time to pay up, you couldn't complain that you were ignorant.

Paladin on
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2003
    Paladin wrote:
    That loan app thing ... that was to make sure you knew the rules so when it came time to pay up, you couldn't complain that you were ignorant.

See the highlighted word that has already been dealt with

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    DiamondbackDiamondback Registered User regular
    edited December 2003
    Every n00b should spend one month with limited privileges. Cannot create new topics, only a few posts allowed per day, anything stupid gets them IP banned.

Diamondback on
    [url=irc://irc.slashnet.org/paforums]paforumsig.gif[/url]
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2003
    Every n00b should spend one month with limited privileges. Cannot create new topics, only a few posts allowed per day, anything stupid gets them IP banned.

There are quite a few regs that wouldn't be here if you IP banned for noob stupidity. Yourself included I think

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    Orthanc wrote:

There are quite a few regs that wouldn't be here if you IP banned for noob stupidity. Yourself included I think
    No, I mean like anything that would normally be a temp ban gets turned into a permanent IP ban.

Diamondback on
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    Well, I don't see the disadvantages. If you really don't want to trouble yourselves, I can do all the write-up and stuff. I'll even learn Javascript to make the quiz form. It'll help, even if it's just a little bit.

Paladin on
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    Paladin wrote:
    Well, I don't see the disadvantages. If you really don't want to trouble yourselves, I can do all the write-up and stuff. I'll even learn Javascript to make the quiz form. It'll help, even if it's just a little bit.

1) waste of time
    2) it's stupid
    3) forums have different rules
    4) it's stupid
    5) people will just skip over it
    6) it's stupid.

Finally: IT'S STUPID

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    Orthanc wrote:
    Paladin wrote:

1) waste of time
    2) it's stupid
    4) it's stupid
    6) it's stupid.

1. It's a waste of MY time, not yours
    2. That's never stopped you before
    3. People usually should lurk all forums to see where they really fit
    4. That's never stopped you before
    5. Like they skip over the rules thread? That's the whole point
    6. That's never stopped you before

Okay, I'm done with this inane idea. I was going to offer free labor, but whatever. I'll go back to being antiproductive now.

Paladin on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited December 2003
    If it makes you feel any better, this thread convinced me to finally work on a special administrative enhancement idea that I've been revising and mulling over for a few weeks now.

More detail soon, but yeah, should be in time to be my little Christmas present to the forums.

oh, and PAGINA DOS

Ramius on
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    Paladin wrote:
    Orthanc wrote:
    Paladin wrote:

1) waste of time
    2) it's stupid
    4) it's stupid
    6) it's stupid.

Okay, I'm done with this inane idea. I was going to offer free labor, but whatever. I'll go back to being antiproductive now.

1) I was refering to the time taken to complete this quiz, not the time to create it.
    2) no it hasn't.
    3) Yes they should, which brings us to another adverse point, This kind of thing could actually encourage people not to lurk as they will think they know the rules. While they'll know enough to avoid being banned, they won't know enough to not be annoying.
    5) If it will be skipped anyway, whats the point?

I hope you realise I'm not seriously insultion you, I'm just bored.

Ramius you tease

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    Ramius wrote:
    If it makes you feel any better, this thread convinced me to finally work on a special administrative enhancement idea that I've been revising and mulling over for a few weeks now.

More detail soon, but yeah, should be in time to be my little Christmas present to the forums.

oh, and PAGINA DOS

Yay! Ramius is applying for the right to hold weddings in the forum. It'll be just like Eastenders, except instead of Alfie marying Kat, Ramius will marry 150cc. Scott will make a surprise come back just as Orthanc is doing the "If nobody has any objections" bit and be all like "I object, 150cc...is my manwife!" then the PA theme music will start playing and you'll have to wait until boxing day to find out what happens.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    Yay! Ramius is applying for the right to hold weddings in the forum. It'll be just like Eastenders, except instead of Alfie marying Kat, Ramius will marry 150cc. Scott will make a surprise come back just as Orthanc is doing the "If nobody has any objections" bit and be all like "I object, 150cc...is my manwife!" then the PA theme music will start playing and you'll have to wait until boxing day to find out what happens.
    I should set you on fire for actually knowing what happens in Eastenders.

Diamondback on
  • Options
    edited December 2003

Shit, its not my fault. I try to play Pokemon and read PC hardware magazines while my girlfriend is watching it but it still fucking leaks in.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2003

Shit, its not my fault. I try to play Pokemon and read PC hardware magazines while my girlfriend is watching it but it still fucking leaks in.

Ordinarily, I'd feel cranky at being reminded of the BBCAmerica channel I can't watch. However, we got satellite access back up and running last night, so I'm merely amused at the suffering of others.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    That episode was great. I liked it when that guy punched Alfie.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2003

BULLSHIT! You sit on the sofa with a box of tissues AND YOU KNOW IT!

Diamondback on
  • Options
    edited December 2003

Only when I was Fapping to the Little Mo rape scene when it got repeated late night on BBC3 [/crossing the line]

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited December 2003

Only when I was Fapping to the Little Mo rape scene when it got repeated late night on BBC3 [/crossing the line]
    You used a sock to clean that up. Don't bother lying, we all know it.

Diamondback on
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    Orthanc wrote:
    Paladin wrote:
    Orthanc wrote:
    Paladin wrote:

1) waste of time
    2) it's stupid
    4) it's stupid
    6) it's stupid.

1) I was refering to the time taken to complete this quiz, not the time to create it.
    2) no it hasn't.
    3) Yes they should, which brings us to another adverse point, This kind of thing could actually encourage people not to lurk as they will think they know the rules. While they'll know enough to avoid being banned, they won't know enough to not be annoying.
    5) If it will be skipped anyway, whats the point?

I hope you realise I'm not seriously insultion you, I'm just bored.

Ramius you tease

orthanc you're right and everything you say is right. but I think you missed telling paladin one key point... it's stupid

futility on