As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]

• Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    stilist wrote: »
    Also, I've never understood RSS. It's just one of those things that I fail to grasp or utilize.
    RSS is a newspaper that hands you the articles as soon as they’re published.
    The other day I was thinking about the huge, uh, push for Push technology maybe 12 years ago. That was some silly stuff.
    Like instant messaging?

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is this the chick that lives three hours away you're "breaking up" with, DUE?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    When I'm solo in a busy coffee shop or restaurant I try to take a small table or at least occupy the corner of a big one and make it clear that the other seats are open, particularly if I'm mainly just hanging out as I am now. The guy doing sudoku is at one of the two largest tables in the place (there are no open tables just now) and he's spread out his personal effects over all the other chairs. I've seen two customers look around forlornly at the lack of available seats then go to sit outside in the 38 degree patio.

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    Like instant messaging?

No, like RSS. In reverse.
    Another popular type of Internet push technology was PointCast Network, which gained popularity in the 1990s. It delivered news and stockmarket data. Both Netscape and Microsoft integrated it into their software at the height of the browser wars, but it later faded away and was replaced in the 2000s with RSS (a pull technology).

Echo on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2009
    Met some awesome couch surfers from England, last night. Definitely makes me want to do it.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »

Yeah. That spiraled into a hot mess.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It could snow over the weekend, what the fuck seattle why you got to fuck with me like this? It's like a girl showing your her nipple and then being all prudish. I WANT SPRING YOU FRIGID BITCH!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Predictably so.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    Anyone know any fairly accessible science books? I just finished A Briefer History of Time
    About Time: Einstein's Unfinished Revolution by Paul Davies.

Has some math but as long as you're not retarded it should be alright. I have the math skills of a sandwich and I was very enlightened by the book.

It will fuck you the hell up in terms of how you perceive the world and time, though.

Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything is aight.

It may not be exactly what you're looking for but I found Indistinguishable From Magic to be a neat overview of some of the applications of astrophysics and special relativity and it was fun to read too.

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Hi Than, Hi Dyna

ALocksly on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Quantum For The Perplexed was my first toe in the field of crazy physics.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Like instant messaging?
    No, like RSS. In reverse.
    Another popular type of Internet push technology was PointCast Network, which gained popularity in the 1990s. It delivered news and stockmarket data. Both Netscape and Microsoft integrated it into their software at the height of the browser wars, but it later faded away and was replaced in the 2000s with RSS (a pull technology).
    So Jabber, which is basically IM via push RSS. :P

And instant messaging is push. I learned this fact back when iPhone push notifications were big news.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I need more hair so I can be more metal.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Man I want to dress like that and run through chucky cheese to see how many children I can frighten.

That's a Mr. Mime, not a Jynx?

I am aware. You see Mr. Mime is a fantastic counter to Jynx.

I am probably lying.

Hahahaha. Mr. Mime is Psychic and so is Jynx but Jynx is also ice. Mr. Mime has less speed and Jynx can get a few dark moves. You could lovely kiss off the bat and protect from Mime subbing or throwing shadow balls like it's his business. All in all, a Jynx would probably wipe a Mr. Mime.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Sorry black people can't be metal, its just not going to happen. White men can't jump, black men can't be metal.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Predictably so.

I know. You are a man who knows things about living.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Apparently I fell on my other arm too. Because it hurts whenever it does things like exist.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Word, Locksly. How's it hangin'?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Predictably so.
    I know. You are a man who knows things about living.
    ‘Long-distance relationships are destined to fail’ is one of the basic rules of the internet.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    And instant messaging is push. I learned this fact back when iPhone push notifications were big news.

But that's a sensible push implementation. The push tech of yore was all "here's the news, I don't care if you've been away from your computer for eight hours!"

Should have went straight for pull technology for that.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    ALocksly wrote: »
    When I'm solo in a busy coffee shop or restaurant I try to take a small table or at least occupy the corner of a big one and make it clear that the other seats are open, particularly if I'm mainly just hanging out as I am now. The guy doing sudoku is at one of the two largest tables in the place (there are no open tables just now) and he's spread out his personal effects over all the other chairs. I've seen two customers look around forlornly at the lack of available seats then go to sit outside in the 38 degree patio.

It's easy for me. I'm the only person willing to sit outside so I can smoke if it's less than 50º F outside. I want a cigarette with my espresso, it's just how these things are done.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    It could snow over the weekend, what the fuck seattle why you got to fuck with me like this? It's like a girl showing your her nipple and then being all prudish. I WANT SPRING YOU FRIGID BITCH!

its warm over here on the better coast.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Sorry black people can't be metal, its just not going to happen. White men can't jump, black men can't be metal.
    off the top of my head:
    PRZ-004903_P.JPG

Bama on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Apparently I fell on my other arm too. Because it hurts whenever it does things like exist.

Could be repetitive stress injury, jerking off to often?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    ‘Long-distance relationships are destined to fail’ is one of the basic rules of the internet.
    Not necessarily "destined." "Highly likely to fail" is more accurate. Long-distance friends with benefits, on the other hand, can be great with the right people.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Hahahaha. Mr. Mime is Psychic and so is Jynx but Jynx is also ice. Mr. Mime has less speed and Jynx can get a few dark moves. You could lovely kiss off the bat and protect from Mime subbing or throwing shadow balls like it's his business. All in all, a Jynx would probably wipe a Mr. Mime.

clownsweater.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

Who did you steal that reply from, and Bama I have no idea who that is.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's 69 degrees here right now.

Hehehe, 69.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Keep on keepin' on.

Three applications out now, handymanin' and such. Gave my first Aikido lesson for money the other day too.

How you been?

ALocksly on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    man, I don't want to go back to work. oh well, less than 4 hours to go.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Best sweater ever

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    ALocksly wrote: »
    Keep on keepin' on.

Three applications out now, handymanin' and such. Gave my first Aikido lesson for money the other day too.

How you been?
    Got a line on some potential work as a legal assistant. It would be part-time, but I'd enjoy it, and it would pay the bills.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Not necessarily "destined." "Highly likely to fail" is more accurate. Long-distance friends with benefits, on the other hand, can be great with the right people.

Well fuck buddies don't really require much emotional involvement like trying to keep a relationship going over a long distance. Not to mention phone sex is just not that appealing.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

Who did you steal that reply from, and Bama I have no idea who that is.

your mama

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    But that's a sensible push implementation. The push tech of yore was all "here's the news, I don't care if you've been away from your computer for eight hours!"

Should have went straight for pull technology for that.
    I’d blame it more on the atmosphere of the web v1 than anything else. Most people still saw the web in terms of television and magazines and so on—purely broadcast. Nobody was really looking at stuff from the recipient’s perspective. Except Dave Winer, of course.

It’s a lot like how web v1 was all about putting your business online to sell physical things, rather than making an online business based around digital goods.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

But :cry:

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It requires dedication and the correct amount and type of crazy.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I know it’s not guaranteed (and considered writing that in), but you really have to think: am I gonna be the one that beats the odds?

stilist on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ron. Did you go out last night?

Your pokemon knowledge frightens me.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Could be repetitive stress injury, jerking off to often?

Given that I was drunk off my ass by noon yesterday and have damaged a finger on my other hand, my collarbone and my jaw, I'm pretty sure I just fell down.

ViolentChemistry on
This discussion has been closed.