As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dreamweaver CS3 Book Request

WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
Couple questions for any of you guys out there that design websites. I used to build them back in the day using notepad and an HTML book, but it's been years since I've touched a website, but have had a request to build a couple of websites for some companies.

I had used Frontpage for awhile, but after using the GUI interface and then looking at the code, it made me want to throw up in my mouth it was so god damn sloppy. I absolutely hated using it and refuse to ever go back to it.

I heard the "new hotness" is Dreamweaver, and I was able to get myself a copy of CS3 and am just about ready to get started again. I went by Barnes & Noble to get a book on it, but there are about 16,000 Dreamweaver books out there, and each one costs around $40.00 and up.

So, is there one really really good book in particular someone can recommend I get for Dreamweaver? I have some past website experience, and my photoshop skills are very strong, so I'd like a book that would compliment those attributes.

I'm also not very interested in online resources as a main source of information. Although I know it's free, and I would love some great links for reference sake, while learning the ins and outs of a program, I like to have a giant 10 lb book in my lap that I can mark with notes and all that shit.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wavechaser on

• Options
    thegloamingthegloaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dreamweaver CS3: The Missing Manual.

Very comprehensive; I used it when I had forgotten everything I knew about Dreamweaver 1. I never really learned CSS in the first place, and this book got me right up to speed. If you haven't been coding in a while, you'll definitely benefit from reading this one front to back (excluding the final sections that deal with database stuff).

thegloaming on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Very comprehensive; I used it when I had forgotten everything I knew about Dreamweaver 1. I never really learned CSS in the first place, and this book got me right up to speed. If you haven't been coding in a while, you'll definitely benefit from reading this one front to back (excluding the final sections that deal with database stuff).

Awesome, thank you!

I actually am pretty sure I saw that one today in the store, so i'll swing by tomorrow and pick it up.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    thegloamingthegloaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wavechaser wrote: »

Awesome, thank you!

I actually am pretty sure I saw that one today in the store, so i'll swing by tomorrow and pick it up.

Just make sure it's the CS3 edition!

Also, if you plan on making his more than a hobby and you don't know CSS, you might want to check out CSS: The Missing Manual -- it's by the same author and it's devoted to the topic.

thegloaming on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Wavechaser wrote: »

Awesome, thank you!

Just make sure it's the CS3 edition!

Also, if you plan on making his more than a hobby and you don't know CSS, you might want to check out CSS: The Missing Manual -- it's by the same author and it's devoted to the topic.

Yeah i'll definitely make sure it's the CS3 edition.

Thanks again. :^:

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    TheTishTheTish Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I definitely agree. I just recently bought CS4, and bought the missing manual books for Dreamweaver and Photoshop. They seem very comprehensive, and well organized.

TheTish on
    sig-1117080.jpg
    -- Gnome mage enchantress and inscriptionologist... er scribbler --
    sig-1497520.jpg
    sig-1497534.jpg