As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying a Medieval Battle Axe in or around Boston, MA (or online)

HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey H/A,

My department head recently gave her notice at the office and we all want to get her a gift. She had a tough but awesome demeanor and came from a hardcore Irish family, so we used to always joke that she should hang a battle axe over her desk to let clients know she means business. So naturally, we'd like to get her one. The problem is we have no idea where to shop. There are plenty of websites that sell them, but we're hesitant to buy something that we can't see/hold first.

Does anyone know of any good New England (preferably in or around Boston) knife & tool stores that may have this sort of thing? Or has anyone had any experience ordering stuff like this online and could recommend a site?

Thanks.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
Heartlash on

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Heartlash wrote: »
    Hey H/A,

My department head recently gave her notice at the office and we all want to get her a gift. She had a tough but awesome demeanor and came from a hardcore Irish family, so we used to always joke that she should hang a battle axe over her desk to let clients know she means business. So naturally, we'd like to get her one. The problem is we have no idea where to shop. There are plenty of websites that sell them, but we're hesitant to buy something that we can't see/hold first.

Does anyone know of any good New England (preferably in or around Boston) knife & tool stores that may have this sort of thing? Or has anyone had any experience ordering stuff like this online and could recommend a site?

Thanks.

Higgins Armory may have something in their gift shop. http://www.higgins.org/

Most of the other ones I know will most likely be way, way out of your price range for a going away gift.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2009
    I'd recommend finding a costume shop online and buying a cheap plastic battle axe, and then get a nice gift to go along with it. The whole idea of giving somebody a weapon doesn't usually go over very well, especially in the workplace.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Calling a female a battle axe doesn't go over too well.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Most workplaces aren't going to be cool with having a gigantic skull-splitting weapon on the premises, even if it is just a replica.

Duffel on
  • Options
    skress1skress1 Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    Check out this site. They have both replicas and latex axes for sale.
    http://www.museumreplicas.com

skress1 on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    She's the type to find a real axe an awesome gift, so don't worry about that (plus she was all about the nickname, she even made a battle axe her in-work iChat icon). Replicas are certainly acceptable too, though. Also, in my OP I stated she was leaving, hence the axe is not going to be placed in the office. It's meant to be a gift for her to keep at home as decoration/memorabilia.

Also, the entire department is interested, so price isn't too huge a factor. Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I bought a sword at Chesapeake knife and tool. They are in most malls i think, or were over 15 years ago.

tech_hunter on
    Sig to mucho Grande!