As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lets go on down to South Park! WTF!

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Yeah, "Time to End Broadway" was a fucking great line.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    The Bro-down was pretty great too!

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Too bad for Shelly, but I suppose they had to reestablish the status quo in a hilariously cruel way. At least she has Spiderman's love.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Since I live in new york, I liked that they used a bunch of shows that are playing right now.

The second half was really strong.

I fucking lost it when he put the spider man costume on.

• Options
    EddEdd Registered User regular
    I, for one, was disappointed not to see the opening night for "Splooge Queen."

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Loved the episode, though one thing bothers me. When did Randy get his job back, again?
    emnmnme wrote:
    I enjoyed it more than usual because I hate vegans. Pretentious salad eaters!
    Yeeeeeah. I don't know what's up with that. I have yet to run into a vegan who isn't a pretentious goose.

Vegetarians come in all shapes and sizes and many are very reasonable folk. Vegans, though? It's like a goddamn religion.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/398503/preview-ganging-up-on-the-one-percent

I just really like when Cartman does his stuffed animal voices.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote:
    http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/398503/preview-ganging-up-on-the-one-percent

I just really like when Cartman does his stuffed animal voices.

This episode could go really really well, or really really poorly. Judging by the clip, though, I'm feeling optimistic.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    So far so good. Cartmans little tea party freak out was awesome.

• Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    Really enjoyed this episode. I could see the "twist" coming but it was still funny. I loved the...uh...purple stuffed toy getting the Saw-death.

This second half of the season has been really strong so far.

Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Ugh I hate Cartman episodes.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    The Cartman plot was funny, the rest of it was not good at all

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Wait the subplot was the 99% have a right to complain and demand the 1% be forced to work harder and that the protests while silly are being overreacted to by authorities?

That's not very libertarian at all. The first part at least

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Wait the subplot was the 99% have a right to complain and demand the 1% be forced to work harder and that the protests while silly are being overreacted to by authorities?

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    The 99% v 83% math had me dying.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Cartman plot was good, and I didn't see the twist because I thought they would use a crazy Cartman this time, but it felt like they were trying to cram in the 99% stuff simply to stay relevant or let everyone know the show is done in a week's time. It just felt weird because there was no real connection between the reality about income and a fat kid failing the physical fitness test. I was kind of expecting some jabs at the creepy repeating thing that goes on at the occupy rallies or the crazy hand gesture stuff, but the whole thing about the media making it a big deal and the Red Robin gag felt off. I mean, all they kind of have to do is copy what they did a few seasons back with the hippie rally.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote:
    Cartman plot was good, and I didn't see the twist because I thought they would use a crazy Cartman this time, but it felt like they were trying to cram in the 99% stuff simply to stay relevant or let everyone know the show is done in a week's time. It just felt weird because there was no real connection between the reality about income and a fat kid failing the physical fitness test. I was kind of expecting some jabs at the creepy repeating thing that goes on at the occupy rallies or the crazy hand gesture stuff, but the whole thing about the media making it a big deal and the Red Robin gag felt off. I mean, all they kind of have to do is copy what they did a few seasons back with the hippie rally.

Maybe they don't see it as being real different.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Kagera wrote:

I don't think they were really trying to make a political point about OWS, they were just trying to tell some jokes using OWS-related terms as the basis for puns and wordplay.

Sometimes they just want to tell some good ol' regular non-political jokes. IIRC in the documentary, Trey talks about how it's nice, after Book of Mormon, to be back at SP doing meaningless jokes about a Japanese guy pooping cuttlefish into Kyle's mouth.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Really enjoying all the episodes in this half season, so far. Cartman was just so messed up this week.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    BubbaT wrote:
    Kagera wrote:

I don't think they were really trying to make a political point about OWS, they were just trying to tell some jokes using OWS-related terms as the basis for puns and wordplay.

Sometimes they just want to tell some good ol' regular non-political jokes. IIRC in the documentary, Trey talks about how it's nice, after Book of Mormon, to be back at SP doing meaningless jokes about a Japanese guy pooping cuttlefish into Kyle's mouth.

Yeah, it seems fairly clear they weren't trying to comment on OWS, just borrowing the terminology for something completely unrelated, which is odd because the promos made it seem like this was going to be a very current-event based episode. ("How could they blame you for something that's clearly Obama's fault?")
    Maybe that's why it felt a little off to me as I was watching it. I was expecting the kids to see fox news coverage and take sides based on their limited understanding of the events or something, maybe Randy could snap and join the rally. Or go argue with the rally, then lose his job and wind up joining the Occupy Denver rally or something.

The question is, what were the 5th graders planning, if it was Cartman destroying his own stuffed animals all along? Was it just attempting to co-opt the 99% rally with their 87% rally?

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Aha, that "class warfare" pun.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I really should take advantage of the internet having television nowadays.

The drummer and douche in the Guy Fawkes mask surrounded by the police is perfect.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    Trey and Matt have never really gone after the liberal or conservative ideology or their representative parties in their entirety. They'll take some view people hold towards something they view ridiculous (Hate crimes, gay marriage, marijuana, immigration, environmentalists) and run with that. We never got a Tea Party episode beyond irrational anger being the result of having a small penis. That wasn't really directed towards the politics of it though.

Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    The closest thing was the Republican voters going into bomb shelters because Obama won the presidency

• Options
    kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    Sort of wish they would tackle a current issue more aggressively to spice things up. As it is, the little behind the scenes documentary entertained me more than all of the episodes released so far this year. Not saying the show is now completely awful or even bad, but watching it is now akin to watching the Simpsons for me.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    As someone who supports and has been involved with OWS, I was disappointed that they didn't skewer the movement a bit more. I was fully expecting to be offended and have my buttons pushed, but all I got was a hippie drummer sight gag and a "Michael Moore is fat" joke. For shame.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    I too struggled to grasp what commentary was being offered about OWS.

• Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    here's the thing

i'd venture to guess that most of us don't know what the hell occupy wall street is (other than that it's a protest about how things suck for most people) or if it intends to accomplish anything

and being the 99% isn't very well defined either despite the fact that the name appears to be mathematical

that seems to be consistent with the comment in south park

nobody knows why butters and jimmy are protesting... the adults make up their own reasons or just overreact without asking questions

nobody seems to understand or agree upon what 99% means, including clueless adults and the kids within the "movement" itself

also (maybe since they'e technically 1-percenters) matt and trey may have felt more relevant focusing on cartman

after all, the situation is cartman's fault... because he's a fat greedy little asshole who doesn't want to part with his toys and won't take responsibility for his part of the problem

now that may not be aggressive or specific

but it was humorous and satirical and i thought it was pretty good

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote:
    Aha, that "class warfare" pun.

It took me a few seconds for that to sink in, loved it afterwards.

I was going to try to explain the 99% plot, but Horseshoe did a great job already.

• Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    yeah that makes sense

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    It was probably more a comentary on how moronic the media is rather than anything to do with OWS.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Horseshoe wrote:
    and being the 99% isn't very well defined either despite the fact that the name appears to be mathematical

The 99% of America who aren't the richest 1%, that's really all it is. Anyone saying different is just ascribing their own beliefs onto it. The argument comes in that they don't actually represent other people that make up that 99%, but it's pretty clear what it means

The part with the 5th greaters and the 83% and stuff was pretty funny though

override367 on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    As someone who supports and has been involved with OWS, I was disappointed that they didn't skewer the movement a bit more. I was fully expecting to be offended and have my buttons pushed, but all I got was a hippie drummer sight gag and a "Michael Moore is fat" joke. For shame.

They really don't like Michael Moore. I think it dates back to "Bowling for Columbine". Moore used an animated short in the film which basically ripped off their style (and was very similar to a short Trey had done while in school). And the short is shown in the film right after an interview with the SP guys, which implies that they had a hand in making it, since the SP style is so iconic.

• Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    Horseshoe wrote:

The 99% of America who aren't the richest 1%, that's really all it is. Anyone saying different is just ascribing their own beliefs onto it. The argument comes in that they don't actually represent other people that make up that 99%, but it's pretty clear what it means

the slogan "i am the 99 percent" has no intrinsic meaning

in the case of the episode "the 99 percent" were kids who were being punished because of cartman

that's the joke

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    BubbaT wrote:

They really don't like Michael Moore. I think it dates back to "Bowling for Columbine". Moore used an animated short in the film which basically ripped off their style (and was very similar to a short Trey had done while in school). And the short is shown in the film right after an interview with the SP guys, which implies that they had a hand in making it, since the SP style is so iconic.

Yeah Bowling for Columbine was a real shitheel work.

I get where he was going, but fuck's sake he ended up being no better than the guys that said Doom made them do it

• Options
    SkySky Registered User regular
    I don't like how Matt Stone and Trey Parker make their shows in 6 days.

To me, they are doing themselves a disservice. They can have so many elements in the episodes, so many clever ideas and meanings and themes, but they miss the chance to take things in amazing ways since they are under the gun to get the show written, voiced, and animated in such a short period of time.

I would prefer if they gave each episode a four week production arc, so they can include any neat and clever story telling elements they can think of.

• Options
    The point is the history channel is full of non-historical bullshit

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Sometimes they show Modern Marvels!!

Also Starman/Thor?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Yep

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    And there's this planet over here that no one really cares about.