As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lets go on down to South Park! WTF!

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Cartman singing about his vajayjay was pretty great though.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EddEdd Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Man I honestly wasn't a fan of the episode. Mostly because wtf was up with that ending?? Haha I'm not sure if that was in reference to something (jacking it in San Diego), but I just didn't get it.

It at least had the right idea. South Park satire is usually at its best when not explicitly riffing on celebrities and politicians, but instead reinterpreting the issues that surround those figures in the guise of small children. You'd think that bullying would be a really, really easy translation here.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    That entire song and dance at the end about San Diego.

What the fuck was that?!

That's how I felt. I somehow missed the whole news story that that was referencing.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    akajaybay wrote: »

What the fuck was that?!

That's how I felt. I somehow missed the whole news story that that was referencing.

the guy who was responsible for the kony 2012 stuff was found doing that in ...public? I dont know I didnt pay attention to any of the kony stuff, just saw a meme picture about him with the outcome of the end joke of this episode.

Edit: part of the point of the episode is everyone gets bullied(they show that every hierarchial system is a form of bullying), but there are sometimes just those people who take it too far(grandma), but the solution is to pity them and remember that there losers.

Also I hope him beating up Oz was a christmas story reference. I think they would of copied the camera angles if it were though. Oz would of had a sneer

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    tardcore wrote: »
    I really loved the reference to the movie Bully and how the fight to get the rating changed to PG-13 "so more kids could see it" was illogical when the movie could be released for free on the internet, if the creator was so dead-set on getting more kids to see it.

Is a really dumb observation. in the show Stan makes his movie in about 5 minutes. In reality most documentary film makers are lucky to have a steady source of ramen noodles while they spend 3 years of their life covering one thing. To say "hey how about you give away thousands of hours of work for free huh?" is fantastically stupid.

Did you know you can see pretty much every South Park episode ever online for free? Right on the official website?

Those are such astronomically different concepts I'm not sure where to start. Television shows are not movies, would be the first thing I would discuss in detail. Second I would talk more about the differences in ad revenue to be gained from something that is as watched as South Park or anything backed by Viacom and something like a documentary most people haven't heard of, but again I don't think it's necessary.

You should really think about your post here though because it's kind of ridiculous

Kind of ridiculous because they aren't being hypocritical at all in their assertion? Or because ad revenue and donations aren't possible on the internet?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »

What the fuck was that?!

the guy who was responsible for the kony 2012 stuff was found doing that in ...public? I dont know I didnt pay attention to any of the kony stuff, just saw a meme picture about him with the outcome of the end joke of this episode.

Edit: part of the point of the episode is everyone gets bullied(they show that every hierarchial system is a form of bullying), but there are sometimes just those people who take it too far(grandma), but the solution is to pity them and remember that there losers.

Also I hope him beating up Oz was a christmas story reference. I think they would of copied the camera angles if it were though. Oz would of had a sneer

Jason Russell the director of Kony 2012 was arrested for jacking it ass naked in public in San Diego. There's a video or three of it on YouTube that's not too hard to find. Not sure how it didn't end up all over the news, which is probably why most people were scratching their heads over the ending to that last episode. They also seem to be joking about it whenever Stan responds with "why the fuck does he keep saying that?"

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    This is probably the worst episode I've ever seen. Worse than the T&P joke episode.

Unless the last 5 minutes really turn it around.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I like it! Mostly because helicrapter.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I bailed halfway through a south park episode. I've never done that.

This was awful beyond any enjoyment. It was just bad. They should feel bad for making it.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Did I watch a different episode? It wasn't the best, but I enjoyed the parody of those "When Vacations Attack" or "I Shouldn't Be Alive" TV shows. Also the weird live action segment at the end.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Yeah, I definitely liked the 1st half. I could have done without the diarrhea subplot, but it wasn't so bad at first.

The 2nd half felt really odd, even for South Park. Just...what?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    That wasn't good. I mean, sure this season hasn't been very good. Last season too. But this was just bad. Family guy bad. South Park, I may be done with you.

• Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    South Park has always taken this "third way" sanctimonious stance on things though. They pretty much just fling shit at society, and generally aren't there to offer a solution.
    Maybe I'm reading a tone in there that isn't actually there, but srsly? To be brief, the viewer who expects South Park to offer solutions is the one who is doing it wrong.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Aurich wrote: »
    South Park has always taken this "third way" sanctimonious stance on things though. They pretty much just fling shit at society, and generally aren't there to offer a solution.
    Maybe I'm reading a tone in there that isn't actually there, but srsly? To be brief, the viewer who expects South Park to offer solutions is the one who is doing it wrong.

I think you're reading it wrong, because you're pretty much agreeing with me, my post makes more sense as a reply than on its own.

I'm saying that looking for answers or accuracy on any issue in South Park is silly, because Trey and Matt themselves don't put much thought behind an issue even if in a given episode they might seem to be strongly advocating a position

override367 on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I think you're reading it wrong, because you're pretty much agreeing with me, my post makes more sense as a reply than on its own.

I'm saying that looking for answers or accuracy on any issue in South Park is silly, because Trey and Matt themselves don't put much thought behind an issue even if in a given episode they might seem to be strongly advocating a position

Yup.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    The live action scenes were strange. Very strange.

Still not the worst episode by far. Not even the worst of this series so far.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    it was terrible

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    The live action scenes were strange. Very strange.

Still not the worst episode by far. Not even the worst of this series so far.

So far it's been better than Season 14

• Options
    EddEdd Registered User regular
    They need to ditch the 6 day production schedule.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I bailed halfway through a south park episode. I've never done that.

This was awful beyond any enjoyment. It was just bad. They should feel bad for making it.

Zip-line tours, guided horseback tours or even being on a boat may all be tortuously boring, but I'd still rather do any of these things then sit through this episode again.
    I think the only jokes I chuckled at where the "Diet Double Dew, now with half the sugar and caffeine as regular Double Dew" and "The worse part is, I can never take it back. It's a generation 5 iPod nano, I can't trade it in anywhere...".

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Wow, I'm surprised by the overly negative reaction some people are having. Sure, it wasn't the greatest episode of all time, but I found it enjoyable. The live action bit near the end was really out of left field.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I didn't hate it, and I chuckled a few times.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    The puns at the end were alright, the rest of the episode was nothing special. I might even say it was boring.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I liked it, though the live action stuff really was weird and cheap, even for making fun of reenactments. I did like the science stuff, and the poop particles going into Kyle's nose. It seems like this episode, more than others, was really a true story, as though their wives or girlfriends got them to go along with this one weekend.

• Options
    Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Edd wrote: »
    They need to ditch the 6 day production schedule.

Parts of this episode were written and some of the live action bits filmed over a month ago according to the Something Awful forum member who played the live-action Cartman, so if you didn't like this episode (I did FWIW), don't blame the production schedule.

My manager sent me out for this audition. Drove to South Park Studios in Culver City and auditioned, got the call the same day. We shot some of it over a month ago. We all cracked up during the shoot. The scene where Kenny says "gently caress you, Cartman" made me laugh almost every time. It was very hard to keep a straight face.

Matt and Trey are as cool as you think they are and more. They loved filming it and were laughing throughout. When Matt first saw us in our costumes and introduced himself, he said, "This is so ridiculous. This is so loving stupid. I love it."

We shot it on Trey's Dad's boat. We essentially met the human incarnation of Randy Marsh. Really nice guy.

After a few weeks, we all got calls to do some re-shoots. Because of how last-minute they work, there were some changes to the story. Matt explained to us that they wrote the live-action segment before writing any of the episode.

If anything else can be said, I can tell you that Matt and Trey still genuinely love making this show, and they were both majorly excited about this segment. They wanted it to be a big surprise to their fans, so we, of course, couldn't Facebook or Tweet about it. At the end of the day, the other actors and I got a picture, in full costume, with Matt and Trey. I'm framing that poo poo ASAP.

(Emphasis mine)

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    the live action stuff made me think like two days ago they were 8 minutes short on an episode and just dicked around with a camcorder to finish it

• Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    I had to explain the Kony guy beating off thing to a couple of my buddies as well, but I got it when Kyle kept saying it. I was just really curious where they were going with it. I too am confused as to why it wasn't all over the news as well...

"South Park I may be done with you..." alright, hardass.

I don't get why every episode has to be a work of gold to please you guys? I enjoyed this episode and the last. I did that all the time as a kid, thinking something would be really awesome and it turned out to be boring as shit. The second pat of the episode was pretty different but it still made me laugh. The herpes thing was the only part I really didn't like.

I guess I'm in the minority here but I've laughed pretty hard at multiple points in every episode so far.

sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    I don't get why every episode has to be a work of gold to please you guys?

Simpsons did it!

Comic Book Guy: Last night's Itchy & Scratchy was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured that I was on internet within minutes registering my disgust throughout the world.
    - Bart Simpson: Hey, I know it wasn't great, but what right do you have to complain?
    Comic Book Guy: As a loyal viewer, I feel they owe me.
    - Bart Simpson: What? They've given you thousands of hours of entertainment for free. What could they possibly owe you? I mean, if anything, you owe them.
    Comic Book Guy: Worst. Episode. Ever.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Simpsons did it!

Comic Book Guy: Last night's Itchy & Scratchy was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured that I was on internet within minutes registering my disgust throughout the world.
    - Bart Simpson: Hey, I know it wasn't great, but what right do you have to complain?
    Comic Book Guy: As a loyal viewer, I feel they owe me.
    - Bart Simpson: What? They've given you thousands of hours of entertainment for free. What could they possibly owe you? I mean, if anything, you owe them.
    - Comic Book Guy: Worst. Episode. Ever.

The Simpsons haven't always been high quality. In the later seasons (post 9?) the show took a nosedive. That said, it seems to be back on track recently.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I liked it only because I've been to that ziplining hell

Yup.

Like the Inception episode, some people were really upset they were saying Inception was stupid when neither of them had even seen it, they mostly just wanted to have fun with the noise and the whole dream thing

override367 on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I liked it only because I've been to that ziplining hell

Post your Broshaka pic.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think the only good joke was Diet Double Dew.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think the only good joke was Diet Double Dew.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    what a perfect place for a double post

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    what a perfect place for a double post

I dunno. A Diet Double Dew Double Post is only half the posts of a regular Double Dew Double Post.

• Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    Latest episode was ok but mediorce and the live-action bit went on too long. I probably would have liked it if it was a short gag.

This has been a strange season, it's very rare that I'd find I didn't like an SP episode but I haven't liked half of this season so far.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I got about halfway through the episode and it went out of sync. I turned it off and went "nah I dont need to see the rest of this"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    The live action part was my favorite part of a mildly entertaining episode.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    The live action part was like how neon genesis evangelion ran out of money and the last episode was all live action shots of crowds and shit.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    I had to explain the Kony guy beating off thing to a couple of my buddies as well, but I got it when Kyle kept saying it. I was just really curious where they were going with it. I too am confused as to why it wasn't all over the news as well...

"South Park I may be done with you..." alright, hardass.

I don't get why every episode has to be a work of gold to please you guys? I enjoyed this episode and the last. I did that all the time as a kid, thinking something would be really awesome and it turned out to be boring as shit. The second pat of the episode was pretty different but it still made me laugh. The herpes thing was the only part I really didn't like.

I guess I'm in the minority here but I've laughed pretty hard at multiple points in every episode so far.

I don't know that every episode needs to be a work of gold but does it seem like the length of time between the truly enjoyable, standout episodes has been creeping ever longer. For me this started back around season 12 and nowadays I just check in every so often rather than watching religiously. As you say, the show still appeals some audience so they're doing fine I suppose.

Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG