As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lets go on down to South Park! WTF!

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    If they planned around Clinton winning, they should have just gone with that plot line. Scrambling at the last minute doesn't work when you're not doing a gag a week type show like they used to.

That said, I thought they had almost recovered when they had the older member berries go "Remember Stormtroopers? Not them, the real Stormtroopers," and thought they were going to satirize the rise of Right wing Fascism in the Western world, but instead they just cut the entire plotline.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Matt and Trey should just make the season they intended to make and put it on the BluRay for season 20.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    New South Park tonight. It was... meh? Glad they dropped the season-long drawn out plot business from last year and got back to more or less self contained stories. Now it just needs to get funny.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Dang, no more cable for me, so no more South Park. Wonder if these will go up online anywhere...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    That wasn't horrible but it was pretty lackluster. Definitely an episode I would turn the channel from if I saw it again.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Dang, no more cable for me, so no more South Park. Wonder if these will go up online anywhere...

If you have Hulu I think it goes up there the day after it airs.

• Options
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »

If you have Hulu I think it goes up there the day after it airs.

Nah, not enough on there to make it worth paying for

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    You can watch the new episodes on the official site the day after they air
    http://southpark.cc.com/full-episodes

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I watched it on the replay, and it was an episode. And that's all I can really say about it. It wasn't funny, it didn't have a message, it was just there. There was maybe one scene that got a chuckle out of me.

Maybe I just didn't get it?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I was actually surprised when it ended...like it didn't seem to go anywhere. I was expecting more resolution or something.

Also the part where Randy is talking down to the redneck really, really bugged me.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It had funny moments that were entirely on Cartman's plot, especially the chain Alexas.

But the Randy plot was a waste of an interesting parody of flip shows, and that they kind of just chickened out on offering a resolution with Daryl was just...it makes Randy being an actual dick even more frustrating. Randy just never felt like he was leading to a normal Matt and Trey message but it was some reject from the Daily Show.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Randy flipping houses with an indifferent Sharon is a fun idea that needed its own episode all to itself. I feel like they felt obligated to make fun of white nationalists but didn't really have an idea of how to go about it.

I did enjoy the take our jobs guy being upset that he got a job but he didn't like it. Because all of the jobs that immigrants "take" are jobs none of these kinds of whiny assholes would want to do anyway.

Viskod on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I was mostly annoyed that my Alexa kept going off every 5 seconds, set an alarm for 7am and added chips to my shopping list.

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I was actually surprised when it ended...like it didn't seem to go anywhere. I was expecting more resolution or something.

Also the part where Randy is talking down to the redneck really, really bugged me.

Yeah, when he talked down about coal mining and truck driving jobs it made me uncomfortable. He wasn't wrong about them being dying jobs, but it was more talking down about them.

I did like when he yelled at the guy waving the confederate flag though. "You make all of us look bad when you do that."

Overall I agree with the consensus that flipping houses would have been better as it's own thing, and Cartman and Alexa were the best part. Especially when he had a bunch of them talking to each other.

• Options
    You can watch the new episodes on the official site the day after they air
    http://southpark.cc.com/full-episodes

Ah are they actually doing that still? I remember one season I looked for an episode that didn't record and there was like a weird "It's on Hulu" delay where it wasn't going to go up for a week or a month or something dumb like that.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I kind of liked parts of it? Like, I definitely think there are two problems they tried to tackle, around blue collar people losing their jobs and being forced to try something they don't like/want, or become radicalized. At the same time I think with how Randy treated them mirrored what I've seen many college-educated liberals do sometimes with the way they talk down to the working class (not everyone, but it's out there).

But it just...ended? Meh.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Have they confirmed they're going back to stand alone episodes?

Just the way this episode ended, it felt a lot like it was trying to set up jokes for next weeks episode rather than actually getting to the punchline on it's own.
    Might just be me though.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Have they confirmed they're going back to stand alone episodes?

Just the way this episode ended, it felt a lot like it was trying to set up jokes for next weeks episode rather than actually getting to the punchline on it's own.
    Might just be me though.

I thought the same thing.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Heir wrote: »
    I kind of liked parts of it? Like, I definitely think there are two problems they tried to tackle, around blue collar people losing their jobs and being forced to try something they don't like/want, or become radicalized. At the same time I think with how Randy treated them mirrored what I've seen many college-educated liberals do sometimes with the way they talk down to the working class (not everyone, but it's out there).

It didn't seem like they were making a joke or even point about it though.

• Options
    Saddest thing is they were pretty spot on with making fun of flip/reno shows and stupid fucking open concept and subway tile.

You're gonna fucking hate everything being open in five years people!

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

Really in retrospective this episode just seemed kind of mean-spirited and loosely tied together.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Saddest thing is they were pretty spot on with making fun of flip/reno shows and stupid fucking open concept and subway tile.

Yeah, but it's a lot less work to toss a floating wall up and close that kitchen off than it was to tear the original wall down, especially if that original wall was load bearing.
    Of course, reno shows aren't likely to go anywhere, and it's just a matter of time until "Undo my reno" starts gaining traction.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Really in retrospective this episode just seemed kind of mean-spirited and loosely tied together.

Ya this how I felt too, this episode just seemed.. Mean? For no real reason. Silent Sharon getting no payoff or anything really bugged me too.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Silent Sharon was really weird, yeah. You know what probably bugged me the most? Randy was actually competent at renovating! Since when is he allowed to be competent?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Silent Sharon was really weird, yeah. You know what probably bugged me the most? Randy was actually competent at renovating! Since when is he allowed to be competent?

Are you implying that Lorde isn't an excellent musician?

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

There was kinda a hint that he wasn't , that Sharon actually had all the skill and all Randy could do was smash shit. But they never did anything with it. Heidi/Eric seemed oddly forced and needlessly cruel too ( to both chars in a way too, but mostly heidi, the cruel to eric is just more from, he was almost experiencing growth back towards a non sociopathic monster, so that had to be halted too I guess?)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

There was kinda a hint that he wasn't , that Sharon actually had all the skill and all Randy could do was smash shit.

I got that impression too.

Although Randy did know how to keep that floor from collapsing...

And yeah, they never address how Sharon does all the actual renovating, which she actually was good at.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    New South Park tonight. It was... meh? Glad they dropped the season-long drawn out plot business from last year and got back to more or less self contained stories. Now it just needs to get funny.

My first reaction was that it had to be so unfunny because they were setting up for a season arc. This was probably the worst episode I have seen otherwise.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnope!

I don't like subway tile, but I love me some open concept.

It basically takes the dining room (that you use 2x/3x yearly) and the living room (which you use never) and rolls them into the family room and (eat-in) kitchen (which you use all the damn time).

It's fantastic for kids and having people over. It makes the whole space so much more usable.

• Options
    I will only concede the living room to kitchen area, no more! You need some semblance of privacy and what happens when the kids turn teenagers they're going to emo the fuck out at lack of privacy OMG they can't even and they'll punch a hole right through the shiplap! And stop leaning mirrors and paintings against the wall hang the damn things! (I know why they do this but still!)

Also, stop never showing an actual TV in these rooms when completed because that's the bread and butter, a duh! You do this too, This Old House!

Good morning!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    SHOUTING!

• Options

That's fair. Whatever they were trying to do, it wasn't pulled together very well.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

Trump won. (Note, this applies to most "What went wrong?" questions).

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I think the mean spirit was the best part of the episode. Maybe the only really good part.

It wasn't subtle or especially insightful, but the moments when Randy was yelling at Daryl had spark to them which was otherwise lacking.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    Wow, that felt like a good Southpark.
    I don't know if I'd say it's one of the best episodes, but it's one of the best episodes I've seen recently. It definitely felt like Southpark was back on form.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The Heidi and Cartman stuff is getting old. Got a kick out of Tweek and North Korea though.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Cartman's suicide war with the distracted drivers was funny enough (he does a good Eminem impression) but yeah I don't know how much more they can get out of the Heidi relationship.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    The Heidi and Cartman stuff is getting old. Got a kick out of Tweek and North Korea though.

Yeah, that was getting old last season. I'm surprised they kept it up past Cartman getting out of the relationship last episode.
    But, other than that, I liked the episode.
    Cartman trying to take over distracted driving week and make suicide prevention week all about himself, the absurd levels of distracted driving related deaths (I laughed at the bumper car massacre) and Carman remaining completely oblivious to it.
    Tweek and North Korea, the presidential tweets making it worse.
    And a heart warming moment where Craig realizes that what Tweek needs is a moment to panic and talk and think about why he's losing his shit instead of a steady stream of fidget spinners, platitudes, facts and "it's gonna be okay" from people who aren't actually listening to him.
    Sure, the Heidi/Cartman stuff is a low point, but other than that, it was a good episode.

So... anyone feel like making a new thread? We're on page 102...

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Tweek is the best.

H9f4bVe.png