As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lets go on down to South Park! WTF!

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I love how near the beginning they're like, "We're not just going to stand by and watch you die, Kenny!" That got a chuckle out of me. There were actually a lot of great moments in this episode if you were paying attention.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    toolberttoolbert Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »
    The mouth gag backstage made me laugh way too hard.

This had me laughing so damn hard that I scared my cat.

toolbert on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    mickey mouse goes back to valhalla to rest

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I thought ripping on marriage was hilarious. I never thought of a promise ring as a kind of psuedo-marriage before. That was a really witty connection that they made. And the whole "selling sex to children" thing was brilliant.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I enjoyed it. Much better than many of last season's episodes.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I thought it was pretty damn good.

Kenny's reactions were hilarious.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The HD broadcast (while not really necessary for this show) looked amazing.
    anyone else watch it in HD? This is the first season they did it for. According to their site they will be re-rendering the entire series for HD.

Overall decent episode, not one of their greatest but not so bad.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The way Kenny reacted after his friends to him his girl was a slut was awesome. The dance he did after she admitted to it was great too.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Greg USN wrote: »
    The HD broadcast (while not really necessary for this show) looked amazing.
    anyone else watch it in HD? This is the first season they did it for. According to their site they will be re-rendering the entire series for HD.

Overall decent episode, not one of their greatest but not so bad.

I don't get Comedy Central in HD, but it looked like the episode on southparkstudios was much higher resolution than before too.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Awesome episode, everything was silver at least.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The hilarity of this episode was magnified for me since my niece loves the Jonas Brothers.

It also magnified the uncomfortableness.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    the entire "abstinence culture" in the US is creepy as all get out

purity rings, father-daughter purity balls, all that shit

creepy

Pony on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Pony wrote: »

creepy

That is what makes saddlebacking so funny.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm genuinely curious how they are able to get away with that episode. The Bros and Mickey Mouse I assume are covered under parody but they are pretty much outright accusing (rightly) disney of selling sex to kids.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Would I find that episode funny if I'd ever heard a Jonas Brothers song before or seen a Jonas Brothers music video?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    fjafjanfjafjan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm genuinely curious how they are able to get away with that episode. The Bros and Mickey Mouse I assume are covered under parody but they are pretty much outright accusing (rightly) disney of selling sex to kids.

You REALLY think that's the worth South Park have done? Did you watch their Scientology episode?
    And fuck, it's pretty much true, non animated Disney is all about good looking people, ie sex, to children, under the guise of "oh it has to be innocent".

fjafjan on
    Yepp, THE Fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I found it funny despite not knowing about the Jonas Bros. The Jonas Brothers are pretty much like every boy band aimed at little girls.
    You REALLY think that's the worth South Park have done? Did you watch their Scientology episode?
    Or the episode where they depicted Muhammad as a superhero.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yes but Muslims and Scientology don't wield the might of Disney and their child army.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't really think marketing attractive young musicians and actors is tantamount to selling sex.

And if it is, then it's only because it's impossible to divorce an attractive person from their sexual appeal, in which case there's really no reason to complain at all.

That'd be like accusing South Park of selling profanity to children because the chosen medium, animation, is inherently appealing to kids.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This episode dragged a little thin in certain parts, but overall it was a good opener for the season.

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Would I find that episode funny if I'd ever heard a Jonas Brothers song before or seen a Jonas Brothers music video?

I did.

devoir on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So uh great episode one thing though-
    They did insinuate Mickey was gay correct? Or does that only count towards the 3 letter variant of that word?

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    They did insinuate Mickey was gay correct? Or does that only count towards the 3 letter variant of that word?

um... where did you get that?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

I watched it on the web, so the language wasn't censored for me so this is a guess on my part:
    Mickey calling the singers fags wasn't bleeped out? They said in an earlier season that it was okay (or at least would slip by the censors) to call a person a fag if you're gay, just not if you're straight. Thus Garrison could say fag and it wouldn't be bleeped, but if anyone else did it would be bleeped.

If Mickey wasn't bleeped, then yeah it might have been a subtle jab at Mickey in an episode that seemed to be bludgeoning him with crowbars.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    They make these things like right up to the actual viewing. Its probably just a mistake.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't really think marketing attractive young musicians and actors is tantamount to selling sex.

And if it is, then it's only because it's impossible to divorce an attractive person from their sexual appeal, in which case there's really no reason to complain at all.

The concept of purity rings and such, by its sheer nature, inherently forces people to think about sex. The topic itself is the attraction, so by pushing the "don't do this" attitude, they're effectively selling sex to kids, because it's using the leverage of associating the topic with the Jonas Brothers. Which links them to the thought of sex.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    see317 wrote: »

I watched it on the web, so the language wasn't censored for me so this is a guess on my part:
    Mickey calling the singers fags wasn't bleeped out? They said in an earlier season that it was okay (or at least would slip by the censors) to call a person a fag if you're gay, just not if you're straight. Thus Garrison could say fag and it wouldn't be bleeped, but if anyone else did it would be bleeped.

If Mickey wasn't bleeped, then yeah it might have been a subtle jab at Mickey in an episode that seemed to be bludgeoning him with crowbars.

I think that is a huge reach... and I am almost positive it was bleeped on TV anyway.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Russell Brand has a good bit on the topic. He repeatedly yells "the Jonas brothers are not having sex" while pelvic thrusting across stage.

Doc on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Baybaaaaayyyyy

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    see317 wrote: »

I think that is a huge reach... and I am almost positive it was bleeped on TV anyway.

My DVR confirms that it was not bleeped out.

Whether or not that was a subtle call back to the "fag" scene with Jimbo and Garrison is unclear, but knowing Matt and Tre, it very well could be. They've done call backs like that before.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Doc wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »

creepy

That is what makes saddlebacking so funny.

is that term catching on?

yessssssss

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    That'd be like accusing South Park of selling profanity to children because the chosen medium, animation, is inherently appealing to kids.

No.

If Ralph Bakshi was dead, he'd be rolling in his grave.

Sheep on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh, and I also meant to say that this was a brilliant episode and the best they've done in a long time.

Sheep on
  • Options
    JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The Coon
    “The Coon” rises from the trash and takes his place as a lone vigilante who wipes out crime in the town of South Park. A rival superhero appears on the scene in the form of “Mysterion” and challenges the Coon’s place as a “symbol” for the town.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/220985

The_Coon.jpg200px-Mysterion.jpg
    sayYEAH.jpg

Jasoco on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    If "The Coon" is Token, I don't know if I'll ever be able to stop laughing.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wouldn't put it past them.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Now that would be much more offensive than the last episode.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    haha at 7 seconds

Doc on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Doc wrote: »
    haha at 7 seconds

Oh jesus, I see what youre talking about. SP is seeing things far clearer tahn we are.

DarkWarrior on